CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m wondering also if Ben’s first order of biz was to conduct a most thorough inventory, perhaps to aid in the estate settlement of the preious owner?
And or to clean house, so to speak. Possible some positions were being eliminated? Or replaced? Maybe due to financial issues or also maybe due to work ethic.

I don't know, but it seems if someone in relation to the ranch was angry enough to get rid of Ben, then job loss is a legitimate reason. JMO

IRL, I help companies that are on the financial brink restore enough order to either sell or establish new processes and become viable.

The first order of business is usually a mess because you have to get the lay of the land, figure out what's going on and how payables and receivables are being handled, if at all.

Early on, everybody is your friend and everybody wants to tattle on everyone else and shine their own image. Unless absolutely necessary, it's not wise to fire anyone for the first couple months because you need to figure out who's honest, who's iffy, who's the King/Queen of BS and who can provide factual information you need.

If things were truly a mess, Ben would have done much the same. He would have spent time on a horse, with the cowboys, assessed land & cattle, assessed who was honest, who was iffy, who were quality hands that got the job done and would likely been at the point where he was starting to cut costs. Some would have come by way employees, he would have looked at feed and pasture costs, he may have been looking to bring in outside cattle by way of calf shares or subleases to maintain grazing leases, etc, look at brokers to sell ranch calves rather than sell at auction, ect.

Our labor laws are such that one can fire long time employees for very specific reasons, without a severance package. Some managers keep cutting hours, with the hope an employee will simply find another job but if there is a legal reason to let them go quickly, it often involves dishonestly/theft and most will give them the option of leaving and not press charges if they leave immediately.

If Ben was firing/laying off employees, he had to be working with someone because labour laws can be tricky. I would suspect his direct contact would have been the owner but the office manager may have handled certain details and I would hope she maintained confidentiality. I've found over the years that most are a huge asset and there are a few that live for spreading gossip and misinformation.

What if consultant team took over ranch operation.. Owners wanted nothing to do with it.. Said get rid of and handed over...
They hire Ben as you said to do inventory, liquidate whatever they could, keeping min to ensure they keep grazing rights as that ups value.

You have to know total value of assets to get fair market price, I would think.. Maybe why Douglas never bought cause no documentation to justify asking price.

I cant say how labour laws are in Canada exactly. I know different from US.. I know union jobs are way different. Husband could never understood how they could force someone in US to work overtime.

IRL, I help companies that are on the financial brink restore enough order to either sell or establish new processes and become viable.

The first order of business is usually a mess because you have to get the lay of the land, figure out what's going on and how payables and receivables are being handled, if at all.

Early on, everybody is your friend and everybody wants to tattle on everyone else and shine their own image. Unless absolutely necessary, it's not wise to fire anyone for the first couple months because you need to figure out who's honest, who's iffy, who's the King/Queen of BS and who can provide factual information you need.

If things were truly a mess, Ben would have done much the same. He would have spent time on a horse, with the cowboys, assessed land & cattle, assessed who was honest, who was iffy, who were quality hands that got the job done and would likely been at the point where he was starting to cut costs. Some would have come by way employees, he would have looked at feed and pasture costs, he may have been looking to bring in outside cattle by way of calf shares or subleases to maintain grazing leases, etc, look at brokers to sell ranch calves rather than sell at auction, ect.

Our labor laws are such that one can fire long time employees for very specific reasons, without a severance package. Some managers keep cutting hours, with the hope an employee will simply find another job but if there is a legal reason to let them go quickly, it often involves dishonestly/theft and most will give them the option of leaving and not press charges if they leave immediately.

If Ben was firing/laying off employees, he had to be working with someone because labour laws can be tricky. I would suspect his direct contact would have been the owner but the office manager may have handled certain details and I would hope she maintained confidentiality. I've found over the years that most are a huge asset and there are a few that live for spreading gossip and misinformation.
BBM. I find this part of your post interesting. I wondered about that. If Ben did indeed discover theft or, say embezzlement of some sort, suspected employees would be going without a salary and a benefits package. Makes for a fairly strong motive IMO

What if consultant team took over ranch operation.. Owners wanted nothing to do with it.. Said get rid of and handed over...
They hire Ben as you said to do inventory, liquidate whatever they could, keeping min to ensure they keep grazing rights as that ups value.

You have to know total value of assets to get fair market price, I would think.. Maybe why Douglas never bought cause no documentation to justify asking price.

I've found that quite often, when things start falling apart, a lot of companies stop keeping books because insufficient income is being spread everywhere, bank fees escalate because of missed payments and if payroll remittance and WCB payments aren't made, the government is angry. This would be worse if a company is paid annualy, when they sell calves/crops.

If they did want to sell, they would have provide financial statements and they may either show a signicicant loss or they may have needed to generate financial statements.

BBM. I find this part of your post interesting. I wondered about that. If Ben did indeed discover theft or, say embezzlement of some sort, suspected employees would be going without a salary and a benefits package. Makes for a fairly strong motive IMO

I've thought the same. Most employers don't want things to get overly messy so if it's within reason, they generally offer to allow an employee to resign immediately, with the promise to not press charges but also no letter of reference.

Even good employees tend to get pretty testy when faced with a wage decrease or a reduction in hours. Both should have been reported to the owner so if there were issues, he might be able to shed some light on the situation.

When faced with a financial mess, I tend to start writing notes in three stages. First stage is my observations of the general situation, as it is on paper. Outstanding payables & receivables and a review of inventory.

Second stage notes come working among the employees so I can directly see who contributes and who's dead weight and what jobs can be merged, what policies and processes are cumbersome and costly to the company that can save employee time and essentially save money.

Last stage notes is a review of both previous with a direct plan as to where cuts start happening and any promotions that would beneficial. Not many can keep that much information in their head so there must be notes, even if they were only notes for meetings/conversations with the owner.

Obviously, he would have needed to report his progress and prove his worth to the company as well.

I've thought the same. Most employers don't want things to get overly messy so if it's within reason, they generally offer to allow an employee to resign immediately, with the promise to not press charges but also no letter of reference.

Even good employees tend to get pretty testy when faced with a wage decrease or a reduction in hours. Both should have been reported to the owner so if there were issues, he might be able to shed some light on the situation.

When faced with a financial mess, I tend to start writing notes in three stages. First stage is my observations of the general situation, as it is on paper. Outstanding payables & receivables and a review of inventory.

Second stage notes come working among the employees so I can directly see who contributes and who's dead weight and what jobs can be merged, what policies and processes are cumbersome and costly to the company that can save employee time and essentially save money.

Last stage notes is a review of both previous with a direct plan as to where cuts start happening and any promotions that would beneficial. Not many can keep that much information in their head so there must be notes, even if they were only notes for meetings/conversations with the owner.

Obviously, he would have needed to report his progress and prove his worth to the company as well.
Well there was a post from Nicola Ranch on an employment recruiting service for a cattle boss and for cowboys. I have the link, but the date is not there. It was posted earlier on here and said to be from December. I know they were posted at least several months ago because I saw them as long ago as that. So...newly created positions? Or replacements? Here is link:

Nicola Ranch Seeking Cow Boss/Cowboys

Well there was a post from Nicola Ranch on an employment recruiting service for a cattle boss and for cowboys. I have the link, but the date is not there. It was posted earlier on here and said to be from December. I know they were posted at least several months ago because I saw them as long ago as that. So...newly created positions? Or replacements? Here is link:

Nicola Ranch Seeking Cow Boss/Cowboys

I think someobdy figured that everybody needs a title.

I think someobdy figured that everybody needs a title.

Ita. I think someone might have self appointed a title, after
the previous manager left.
I also wonder if the owner hoped a majority would get angry & move on, going to other ranches, when he let the hay op’ out.
Moo

Ita. I think someone might have self appointed a title, after
the previous manager left.
I also wonder if the owner hoped a majority would get angry & move on, going to other ranches, when he let the hay op’ out.
Moo

I would wonder how may people were hired for haying. They should have been seasonal workers and in theory, the deal was negotiated for the following growing season but it would have saved quite a bit in wages.

I would wonder how may people were hired for haying. They should have been seasonal workers and in theory, the deal was negotiated for the following growing season but it would have saved quite a bit in wages.

Bradner R re-hired 4-5 that were released by NR. The exact number is on the msm article quoting MW, iirc.

@ktm44 very much enjoyed your posts from yesterday, & personal perspective. IMO, Ben was working in a similar manner.
I don’t rule out the possibility someone might have already been dismissed, due to their attitude. Maybe allowed to work thru the eom. Only speculating.
I’m not the least surprised the focus is on the ranch. Where else could it be? Jmo

Absolutely. I can't see anyone being hired to manage (AND live on the premises as part of a contract) to be brought on board without meeting and approval of ranch owner(s).

Depending on when Ben actually applied, was interviewed and was offered the position, I'd imagine ranch owner would be involved in the process for this manager position. Maybe then cattle boss, maintenance positions, and other job hirings would be left to a manager, aka Ben. So the manager position would need to be a trusted hire.

I agree.

As far as I can tell, NR is a privately owned entity, -- and Ben answering to the owner(s).

There's a lot of pride at steak here and I'm sure LE is looking at the former and/or those that left without a choice.

I believe this is personal, and Ben got caught in the middle. :(

MOO

I agree.

As far as I can tell, NR is a privately owned entity, -- and Ben answering to the owner(s).

There's a lot of pride at steak here and I'm sure LE is looking at the former and/or those that left without a choice.

I believe this is personal, and Ben got caught in the middle. :(

MOO

Privately owned companies are privately owned, as long as they remain solvent.

Repost, from April 10. Wording definitely points to Nicola Ranch - in the beginning and during this additional search.

BBM

https://cfjctoday.com/2019/04/10/wi...for-merritt-area-rancher-ben-tyner-resumes-2/

We’re going to go back and start looking at the places that we started at,” explains, Sgt. Shoihet, “Particularly the Nicola Ranch. See what that leads us to and then make determinations after we have exhausted all the opportunities there.”

While on scene, CFJC Today saw more than 20 officers turning over soil and searching fields in the area on foot, while the police helicopter got a look from above.

“RCMP are out there. They’re being supported by the tactical troupe, police dog services, air services are also out there, investigators from the Major Crime Unit, and then the Merritt RCMP Detachment.”

Sgt. Shoihet says police are still hoping for any dash cam footage from January 26th, and ask for anyone with information to turn it over to investigators at the Southeast District Major Crime Unit, or Merritt RCMP.

Repost, from April 10. Wording definitely points to Nicola Ranch - in the beginning and during this additional search.

BBM

https://cfjctoday.com/2019/04/10/wi...for-merritt-area-rancher-ben-tyner-resumes-2/

We’re going to go back and start looking at the places that we started at,” explains, Sgt. Shoihet, “Particularly the Nicola Ranch. See what that leads us to and then make determinations after we have exhausted all the opportunities there.”

While on scene, CFJC Today saw more than 20 officers turning over soil and searching fields in the area on foot, while the police helicopter got a look from above.

“RCMP are out there. They’re being supported by the tactical troupe, police dog services, air services are also out there, investigators from the Major Crime Unit, and then the Merritt RCMP Detachment.”

Sgt. Shoihet says police are still hoping for any dash cam footage from January 26th, and ask for anyone with information to turn it over to investigators at the Southeast District Major Crime Unit, or Merritt RCMP.

@zecats thanks for reposting this. A few of us have posted numerous times ‘this will end where it began’.
As we discussed numerous times, almost all of Ca could be ruled out as they had no access to Gunny.
I’m confident the perp will soon be locked up.
Moo

BBM

Mention of the tactical unit surprised me. I was of the impression they don't show up unless anticpation of violence.

BBM

In the video report at CFJC, the reporter also stated there was a search at the neighboring ranch property to NR. (neighbouring property along Monck Park Road, just down from the Nicola Ranch).

In the video report at CFJC, the reporter also stated there was a search at the neighboring ranch property to NR. (neighbouring property along Monck Park Road, just down from the Nicola Ranch).

We posted photos of that search, Monck road site is part of
NR. They searched the compost & feed yard areas. LE brought a dive team & several dogs.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back