CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In the video report at CFJC, the reporter also stated there was a search at the neighboring ranch property to NR. (neighbouring property along Monck Park Road, just down from the Nicola Ranch).
Not sure if reporter was misinformed about that..doesn't seem to be a neighboring ranch on Monck, only other areas of NR. And as @Trudie mentioned, they were searching a part of NR - feedlots, compost piles and logging chips.

Mention of the tactical unit surprised me. I was of the impression they don't show up unless anticpation of violence.

@ktm44 they may have thought violence was a real possibility.

@zecats later, I’ll look for the map (again) showing the roads within NR. The owner owned over 1100 properties in the 1980s, many contiguous with NR.

@ktm44 they may have thought violence was a real possibility.

@zecats later, I’ll look for the map (again) showing the roads within NR. The owner owned over 1100 properties in the 1980s, many contiguous with NR.
Heres is map of NR just off Monck Rd. Top NR is ranch; bottom NR is where store (no longer open) is located.

Google Maps

I've thought the same. Most employers don't want things to get overly messy so if it's within reason, they generally offer to allow an employee to resign immediately, with the promise to not press charges but also no letter of reference.

Even good employees tend to get pretty testy when faced with a wage decrease or a reduction in hours. Both should have been reported to the owner so if there were issues, he might be able to shed some light on the situation.

When faced with a financial mess, I tend to start writing notes in three stages. First stage is my observations of the general situation, as it is on paper. Outstanding payables & receivables and a review of inventory.

Second stage notes come working among the employees so I can directly see who contributes and who's dead weight and what jobs can be merged, what policies and processes are cumbersome and costly to the company that can save employee time and essentially save money.

Last stage notes is a review of both previous with a direct plan as to where cuts start happening and any promotions that would beneficial. Not many can keep that much information in their head so there must be notes, even if they were only notes for meetings/conversations with the owner.

Obviously, he would have needed to report his progress and prove his worth to the company as well.

So the question is - Did Ben make notes and were they found?

I'm so far behind and this may have already been discussed.

I think his little bro Jack knew what was going on, I’ve always felt so. Jmo
One thing that concerns me, the killer had access to Ben’s house/truck after killing him. Did they take advantage of their access, removing things?
Jmo

If they have been found, it has not been mentioned but there would be a lot for him to remember. Even things like vaccinations vary from location to location. The basics remain the same but other vaccinations would be regional. Herd stocking ratios also vary from region to region and would be another reason for notes.

It's illegal to fire Canadian employees after a short period of employment without cause and there are legal procedures that must be followed. First warning can be verbal but must be noted on record that warning has been made. Second warning must be in writing, with with an established reason for the written warning as well as what procedures employee and supervisor will take to rectify the situation. Third warning must also be written and documented, including first and second warnings as well as discussed strategy for change but at that time, an employee can be given a designated period of suspension, which should be noted in the company safety manual/handbook. At that point, no further warnings are required and an employee can be terminated without a severance package. This process, in a big corporation, often takes over a year because warnings and review of warnings happen at employee evaluation time or at 3 - 6 month intervals.

There are grounds for immediate dismissal without severance payments or warnings but they are legally established as actions injurious to the company and one needs to have some serious documented proof - more notes. Most common reasons for immediate termination would be verified theft of company property or verified theft by way of falsified time sheets.

I can't imagine there are no notes because most supervisors keep track of short term, mid term and long term goals. Ben should have had a plan as to what tasks needed to be done Monday morning, the rest of the week and in comming months. Employee requests are not uncommon either (feed, drug cabinet, fuel tanks running low, can you pick up shoes or a new rasp next trip to town, etc).

In my opinion, there are notes and I don't think they would be overly difficult to locate. A trick I learned years ago was to send myself text messages but I have a a feeling that the RCMP has some idea his observations.

Searching is allowed as long as not on ranch or ranch property. Good luck citizens of Merritt. Do your best.

MISSING: BEN TYNER

From page admin:

"Just to let you all know, a search can go ahead on crown land if you so desire.. We have been asked to please stay off ranch land or the ranch....It’s important we do as they ask... Thank you..I’m having posters made to put up out there so I will let you know when they are ready."

ETA Items to look for - the clothes he was wearing (not sure what they are, but perhaps info is given to searchers) and his red checkered hat. Inventory of missing items must have been taken. JMO

Searching is allowed as long as not on ranch or ranch property. Good luck citizens of Merritt. Do your best.

From page admin:

"Just to let you all know, a search can go ahead on crown land if you so desire.. We have been asked to please stay off ranch land or the ranch....It’s important we do as they ask... Thank you..I’m having posters made to put up out there so I will let you know when they are ready."

ETA Items to look for - the clothes he was wearing (not sure what they are, but perhaps info is given to searchers) and his red checkered hat. Inventory of missing items must have been taken. JMO

I read that as well and get the impression that the family would really like to get somebody out looking for him.

Posters going up in the area, as a reminder of Ben's stats.

"We have 50 of these ready for anyone that is heading out in the back country. Shoot me a message if you can get them put up out there. I guess Ben is actually 31 if you want to write that on there. I went off a police post that is apparently wrong... sorry"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 7.13.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 7.13.05 PM.png
    842.9 KB · Views: 36
Posters going up in the area, as a reminder of Ben's stats.

"We have 50 of these ready for anyone that is heading out in the back country. Shoot me a message if you can get them put up out there. I guess Ben is actually 31 if you want to write that on there. I went off a police post that is apparently wrong... sorry"
Good to see them keeping Ben in the public eye.

From page admin:

More than three months have now passed and Ben’s disappearance is still only officially classed as a missing person case, not a homicide. So meanwhile it’s helpful if the citizens of Merritt conduct more searches in the back country, whether or not it proves successful, because I think Ben’s family would be grateful of their efforts.

More than three months have now passed and Ben’s disappearance is still only officially classed as a missing person case, not a homicide. So meanwhile it’s helpful if the citizens of Merritt conduct more searches in the back country, whether or not it proves successful, because I think Ben’s family would be grateful of their efforts.

This is such a baffling case. I wonder about what happened to him frequently and keep checking back to see if there is anything new. Hopefully one day, sooner than later, whatever occurred will be revealed. I hope for his family's sake that questions they have about his disappearance will one day be answered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back