CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood why he went into the storage business. If you were given hundreds of millions and your choice of any business you wanted to create, why buy existing boring storage facilities? The land as you suggested makes more sense. And he really wants that premium hockey facility. That would make a great club for the heirs of fortunes. They could then hang around hockey greats, and buy the Ottawa Senators to tie it all together.
No disrespect intended, but does it take much business acumen to operate a storage facility? Maybe that’s your answer.

The basic difference between the McD and G.S businesses, is at one you take out and at the other, you put in.
fwiw rbbm imo. speculation.

''Anyone who has read biographies on the life of McDonald's Corp. (NYSE: MCD) Ray Kroc or seen the movie “The Founder” is aware that the fast food giant is less in the hamburger business than in the real estate business. Ray Kroc made his fortune on that assumption. He ran with it, wrestling the company (depending on who is telling the story) away from the original founders, the McDonald brothers in San Bernardino, CA.

Even former McDonald’s CFO Harry J. Sonneborn, who died in 1992, publicly validated the strategy, which had become its worst-kept secret. Sonneborn was quoted as saying, “We are not technically in the food business. We are in the real estate business.''

The basic difference between the McD and G.S businesses, is at one you take out and at the other, you put in.

''Anyone who has read biographies on the life of McDonald's Corp. (NYSE: MCD) Ray Kroc or seen the movie “The Founder” is aware that the fast food giant is less in the hamburger business than in the real estate business. Ray Kroc made his fortune on that assumption. He ran with it, wrestling the company (depending on who is telling the story) away from the original founders, the McDonald brothers in San Bernardino, CA.

Even former McDonald’s CFO Harry J. Sonneborn, who died in 1992, publicly validated the strategy, which had become its worst-kept secret. Sonneborn was quoted as saying, “We are not technically in the food business. We are in the real estate business.''
Is that comparable to BS' business strategies, which were more a thing of fighting for legal interests than producing drugs?

I was just thinking about the new location of Green Storage in Scarborough on the corner of Birchmount Road and Mack Avenue. Huge parts of south Scarborough are being torn down and redeveloped as condos. The location of this store is in an area where commercial and residential meet, so it may indeed be a real estate business. I wonder if other Green Storage locations are in similar situations. Make money in the short term and sell down the road to developers.

There is a huge swath of buildings on St. Clair East between Danforth Road and Midland avenue that is going to be torn down for condos. South of the Green Storage location on Kingston Road from around Warden and east through to Pickering there are all kinds of new condo buildings.

The Green Storage location is on a big piece of property with a huge parking lot as well as green space. There is no way people who use the lockers need that parking lot. I don't know how much of the lawn they actually own as it's close to the train tracks but it's huge and I never see anyone on it except to mow it.

I was just thinking about the new location of Green Storage in Scarborough on the corner of Birchmount Road and Mack Avenue. Huge parts of south Scarborough are being torn down and redeveloped as condos. The location of this store is in an area where commercial and residential meet, so it may indeed be a real estate business. I wonder if other Green Storage locations are in similar situations. Make money in the short term and sell down the road to developers.

There is a huge swath of buildings on St. Clair East between Danforth Road and Midland avenue that is going to be torn down for condos. South of the Green Storage location on Kingston Road from around Warden and east through to Pickering there are all kinds of new condo buildings.

The Green Storage location is on a big piece of property with a huge parking lot as well as green space. There is no way people who use the lockers need that parking lot. I don't know how much of the lawn they actually own as it's close to the train tracks but it's huge and I never see anyone on it except to mow it.
I believe — absolutely — that storage businesses are a means of investing in real estate for future sale or development.

I believe — absolutely — that storage businesses are a means of investing in real estate for future sale or development.
No need to fake a renoviction, just kick undesired tenants out, starting with family! imo.
By Scott Dillingham
April 27, 2023 rbbm.
''Storage units offer another type of property asset that is potentially less-hands on and more rewarding. For many investors, self-storage is their only property investment and was an attractive switch after managing residential properties. Storage units offer a compelling return on investment without all the managerial baggage.''

''Canada is currently seeing a self-storage boom. Self-storage is an $840 million industry and is currently the fastest-growing real estate sector in Canada. There are about 1,800 storage companies in Canada, and many large companies are absorbing independent operators.''

''Unlike residential rental turnover—finding a new tenant, making repairs and upgrades and cleaning the unit—self-storage rental is a bit more straightforward. Units are generally concrete and steel that can be cleaned out quickly. Turnover is high, with a few tenants moving out every month, but the turnaround process is more straightforward.''

Last edited:
Wondering if JS is going ahead with this idea now or not (premium” hockey rink) could the desired location for such a facility be in the east end of Toronto, could it be built on repurposed G.Storage property?
speculation, imo.
''Jonathon and one of his business partners, Jonathan Tkatch, had to build a “premium” hockey rink. (Jonathon Sherman and Tkatch have a mortgage company called Harlo Financial, set up just before the murders. Jonathon said in an interview he and partner Adam Paulin “had some cash sitting around for projects.”)

According to emails between Jonathon and Tkatch in April 2019, Jonathon said the hockey rink idea was a plan to build a “premium facility with additional features like training gyms and rehab in order to attract the premium customers to use the facility during the ‘downtime’ (like summer when the leagues are off).” Under the plan, Tkatch wrote, a new Sherman charity would be created to own the rink and Jonathon would have “long-term oversight of the facility.”

You don’t need to deal with residential tenancy legislation, or the complexities of triple net commercial leases, tenants improvements and all that. Likely more recession proof than commercial tenancies as well, and in general very little maintenance or upgrades required. The structures are utilitarian bunkers.

It’s also much easier to raise rents than in a residential and even commercial tenancy.

I don't recall the media ever saying he was estranged from his family. Since the murders, yes he is estranged from many people including his sister and Aunt and some of BS closest friends.

He was in constant contact with his father and seen him on a regular basis via meetings, emails etc. He held an office just down the hall from his father.

"Normal relationship" what do you and the media call normal? IMO nothing is normal when you are dealing with billionaires! They jet set all over the world like we drive 100 kms to go on a staycation lol...They surround themselves with wealth, and power.
I think their relationship was normal in their minds. They were not estranged when they were alive, they had their disputes like many other families but they were in constant communication and even got together on Hanukah and special occasions. JMO
JS and AP had offices at Apotex but i don't think they spent much time in them or at Apotex. The emails back and forth are proof of that IMO.

JS and AP had offices at Apotex but i don't think they spent much time in them or at Apotex. The emails back and forth are proof of that IMO.
That could be true, but the emails back and forth don't mean much IMO because I work in a very large building and people that have offices right beside each other send emails to each other because you then have a paper trail. Plus you don't want to constantly interrupt a person so emails seem to be the way to go in many places of business.

1686509738755.png

Sherman Campus is located on Bathurst St. just north of Sheppard Ave.​

''A magnificent, two-acre green space, located at the south end of Sherman Campus, will be named in their honour, and like Honey and Barry, will reflect the dynamic life of our community.''​

I def read one article that said estranged
also..if I am not wrong the son says in those last emails to his dad ( we havent sat together in years ) ?
how do you compare this cold exchange of emails regarding money to the relationship with the daughter who had a new baby..who was in constant contact with them and sending baby pictures ?
I guess no body can have the big family picture anyway.. cause everybody can lie ..but you can guess at the smaller pieces put together
I recall reading they had not spent time together in years, and that he had not been to 50 OC in a long time. maybe during KD interview?

interesting statement, led me to a thought, with HS and BS showering Alex and her children with love and attention, is this why JS wanted to have a family? IMO JS wants to be the BS replacement for the family to come to for advice and ask for money.

I truly hope JS has nothing to do with this case. So much information around his statements etc. he comes off as someone already mentioned, narsarisst.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others.Apr 6, 2023

They are also a huge revenue generator. most customers pay $200-$600 a month to store items.

example 100 units is a nice monthly revenue I would assume they bring in over 100K a month.

not bad for little daily effort.

I recall reading they had not spent time together in years, and that he had not been to 50 OC in a long time. maybe during KD interview?

interesting statement, led me to a thought, with HS and BS showering Alex and her children with love and attention, is this why JS wanted to have a family? IMO JS wants to be the BS replacement for the family to come to for advice and ask for money.

I truly hope JS has nothing to do with this case. So much information around his statements etc. he comes off as someone already mentioned, narsarisst.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others.Apr 6, 2023

yes.. this is what i was refering to.. in one email to his dad ..he says ( we havent met in years or somthing ) and refuses to meet his dad alone !
he also says .. that he wasnt keeping in touch or somthing like that ( DOESDNT THAT MEAN ESTRANGED ? IN A AWAY )
the only topic in theses contacts were money related..
yet on the night of the murder..the couple are invited for an event or something ! hmm

do you think the doc will be presenting anything new or a plot twist of sorts ?
or would be just the same as the book/pdcast

“George Soros hands reins of $25bn empire to son Alex​

• Published
      11 hours ago
Alex and George Soros.
IMAGE SOURCE, ALEX SOROS/TWITTER
Image caption,
Alex, 37, and father George Soros
By Lucy Hooker
Business reporter

US billionaire philanthropist George Soros has handed over the running of his $25bn (£19.9bn) financial and charitable empire to his son Alex.
The Hungarian-born financier said his son had "earned it", in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.”

This made me think of JS and his push for control of BS’s empire. BS kept insisting that JS should be more involved and interested in Apotex if he wanted to be part of succession plans. IMO, I think JS would have wanted a public moment and endorsement from BS like the one above.

• Published
      11 hours ago
Alex and George Soros.
Image caption,
By Lucy Hooker
Business reporter

US billionaire philanthropist George Soros has handed over the running of his $25bn (£19.9bn) financial and charitable empire to his son Alex.
The Hungarian-born financier said his son had "earned it", in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.”

This made me think of JS and his push for control of BS’s empire. BS kept insisting that JS should be more involved and interested in Apotex if he wanted to be part of succession plans. IMO, I think JS would have wanted a public moment and endorsement from BS like the one above.

• Published
      11 hours ago
Alex and George Soros.
Image caption,
By Lucy Hooker
Business reporter

I think JS had no interest in Apotex. If he wanted in it was only to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suebrina