CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noting a few tidbits from this unrelated case involving the alleged procurement of a hit man, fwiw..

June 10 2023 rbbm.
''A 47-year-old woman in Tennessee has been indicted for allegedly trying to hire a hitman on the dark web for nearly $10,000 to kill the fiancee of a man she met on Match.com.''

''In a federal criminal complaint, authorities allege it all went down between Dec. 31, 2022, to April, when Sasser allegedly contacted a now-defunct dark website, Online Killers Market (OKM), to hire a hitman to murder an Alabama resident.''

''In her communications with the site, Sasser allegedly provided photos and the victim’s location and allegedly paid nearly $10,000 in Bitcoin to the site administrators to purchase the services of a hitman, prosecutors said.''

''There was also an option to create an account where would-be customers can submit an “order” detailing their precise requirements, including full intended victim details, authorities said.

'' Customers paid for the services with cryptocurrencies.''

“Description: it needs to seem random or accident. or plant drugs, do not want a long investigation. she recently moved in with her new husband. she works at home and in office in birmingham. she works at wide orbit office [redacted] hoover, al when she works in office she works later she drives a blue subaru outback with alabama license plate [redacted] her husband drives a maroon jeep grand cherokee alabama license plate [redacted] her husband works at publix part time they have three dogs that bark and jump but nice dogs''

''message: yesterday she worked from home and went for a 2 mile walk by herself. assign to another that can complete the job.

Subject Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: update Mar 29 11: 1OUTC

Message: Hello, I have two other hitmen that I can assign on the job, but one wants 0-49 btc and the other 0.485 which one should I assign? Regards admin''

Yes, I think JS sent an email to BS inviting him to Christmas dinner or a Christmas party. I can't find that exact news but I do remember that.
'The last email Jonathon says he sent his father was to invite him to a Christmas party at his home, to celebrate with them and Mercure’s family'

JS either emailed or left a phone message to Barry asking him to come and meet the team at a Christmas party, the team being the Green Storage people, I believe. This was in one of KD's podcasts. I don't know if that is the same party.

JS either emailed or left a phone message to Barry asking him to come and meet the team at a Christmas party, the team being the Green Storage people, I believe. This was in one of KD's podcasts. I don't know if that is the same party.

There seemed to be two parties JS invited BS to: the Christmas Eve dinner, and on Thursday, December 14th he left a voicemail or something else inviting him to a Green Storage party on Monday, December 18th.

'The last email Jonathon says he sent his father was to invite him to a Christmas party at his home, to celebrate with them and Mercure’s family'
this should be compared with the last known communication before this email if it is avaialabe..to compare the tone
donovan said JS didnt give him all the emails during the period

this should be compared with the last known communication before this email if it is avaialabe..to compare the tone
donovan said JS didnt give him all the emails during the period
curious, JS said he sent the invitations to his father, not both mom and dad? Mom was the planner of all events, not dad? why not include her? Wonder if the VM was on home phone number or dads cell.

curious, JS said he sent the invitations to his father, not both mom and dad? Mom was the planner of all events, not dad? why not include her? Wonder if the VM was on home phone number or dads cel
It's because HS wasn't going to be in town. BS was the only one who was around and he was going to meet up with HS at a later date. IIRC...

It's because HS wasn't going to be in town. BS was the only one who was around and he was going to meet up with HS at a later date. IIRC...

Yes, the last-minute Green Storage party JS invited BS to was to be held on December 18th, which was when HS was set to fly to Miami. BS was set to have lunch or dinner with JS on the 24th, and that was also the day BS was set to fly to Miami.

Hello - long time reader, first time poster here.

Interesting convo: re estranged family.

JS makes clear in his interview with KD that they were not close and he did not keep in contact with the parents much, seemingly more so the case with HS. "Sadly no" he said in KD's episode "pointing fingers".
Link: Pointing fingers Also available on Spotify

KDs fixation on JS towards the end of the podcast is curious. He does the same in the trailer - the only one suggested to be involved in JS. KW doesn't even appear in the trailer....
Link:

I found it interesting in this interview that KD seems to really suggest that he wants the audience to move in a direction with his reporting.
Link:

He claims in the trailer he has a specific theory of who did it. We also know from his QandA on toronto star website that he believes his theory to be the same as police.
Link: The Sherman Murders: Kevin Donovan answered your questions about the final episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’ podcast

'imo, speculation

Last edited:

JS makes clear in his interview with KD that they were not close and he did not keep in contact with the parents much, seemingly more so the case with HS. "Sadly no" or something like that he said in KD's episode "pointing fingers".
Link:

KDs fixation on JS towards the end of the podcast is curious. He does the same in the trailer - the only one suggested to be involved in JS. KW doesn't even appear in the trailer....
Link:

I found it interesting in this interview that KD seems to really suggest that he wants the audience to move in a direction with his reporting.
Link:

He claims in the trailer he has a specific theory of who did it. We also know from his QandA on toronto star website that he believes his theory to be the same as police.
Link: The Sherman Murders: Kevin Donovan answered your questions about the final episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’ podcast

'imo, speculation
Welcome to WS!

JS makes clear in his interview with KD that they were not close and he did not keep in contact with the parents much, seemingly more so the case with HS. "Sadly no" he said in KD's episode "pointing fingers".
Link: Pointing fingers Also available on Spotify

Link:

Link:

'imo, speculation
Welcome! I think most people dismiss KW as the killer and think suspiciously toward JS. Before I posted here for the first time I read a lot and came to that same conclusion. I would be shocked if it isn't either him or someone in his circle. As soon as I read that his father asked for $50 to $60 million back and that JS didn't make a move to get that, I came to that conclusion and after going further back to watching the eulogy I became even more suspicious. If he had started the process of paying him back I likely wouldn't have come to this conclusion.

Welcome! I think most people dismiss KW as the killer and think suspiciously toward JS. Before I posted here for the first time I read a lot and came to that same conclusion. I would be shocked if it isn't either him or someone in his circle. As soon as I read that his father asked for $50 to $60 million back and that JS didn't make a move to get that, I came to that conclusion and after going further back to watching the eulogy I became even more suspicious. If he had started the process of paying him back I likely wouldn't have come to this conclusion.
To be fair to JS, he did give those emails willingly (although JK seems to have been CC'd so KD I believe said "sources on background" had suggested this email chain existed.

He also does downplay the $ stuff, saying that BS had these phases and it wasn't anything new to him and AP.

Still, his actions re: estate over time seem curious and that seems to be the message KD is dropping, at least in part. Like the suicidal comment years ago, the trying to deem BS incapable for finances. The the big money ask and impending changes to the will, which may not have been exactly secret but that the kids would not have interest in disclosing necessarily, given the $300M MS requested.

The prosecutor and cop telling KD about Green Storage facility on the east side of the city, stands as the single most bizarre part of this case to me. Why on god's earth would that be stated to KD of all people, and as a nonsequitur? KD says (on his q@a linked above, that this was either 1) a tip or 2) an attempt to "see what he knew". Why would they care if it was door #2?

imo, speculation

Another thought is the planning. Obviously it was big league planning. Gerald st onto Old Colony has a dead spot re any line of sight to the corner of old colony. Covering tracks is the key here. Purchase of the ligatures and the drop off and pick off being the biggest issues from the POV of the murder team (other than the $ payment obviously, which would be another vulnerability).

As it relates to the ligatures, how to procure them in a way that Canadian investigators would not find out about or have a trail of? Getting rid of them is easier.

As it relates to the drop off and pick up, KD believes that NW came and went from and to the east, via forest heights. He likely took vyner to bannatyne. But, I don't believe there is evidence that he necessarily arrived near the area via that path. So one option is to drop the NW off on Gerald. Any cameras around the street ends wouldn't pick up the lapse in time for the car. It was nighttime, easy to have the NW in the back so as to not be seen on camera while in transit. He takes the back entrance and completes the murders then leaves on foot as reported. Two man team? I favor this theory, given the task in the residence. However, there is some evidence that this could have been a one man murder team as part of a slightly bigger group. First, there is absolutely no evidence of anyone else on site. None. Not from KD, not from police, not from neighbors, not from any of the other leaks. Is it even possible to get to the estate without getting picked up on camera somewhere? Unlikely they have such close surveillance of NW and no one else. Second, everyone tinks HS injury shows the murder team did not like her as much. Not necessarily. What was different about the ambushes? Temporal relationship was different. A lot easier to subdue BS if you're waiting behind the door. If you have to muscle your way in to ensure you don't trip alarm, etc., HS was the obstacle most likely to cause you grief. Friends even say she would have fought. What else? The NW likely underestimated her. She may have actually got away (phone evidence). But at the point she's neutralized, it becomes a lot easier to subdue BS from inside the home - significantly decreases the surprise element. He was also less spry and fit than Honey and so easily to neutralize. We also have evidence the NW has a foot drop or injury. Consistent with an unintended prolonged struggle with HS, who everyone agrees would be able to put up a better overall fight (trainers and forensic autopsy evidence show this to be fact).

There are bus stops at the street corners a little past where NW was videoed. The next block has buses that run until 1030 pm. It is publicly available information that TTC (the toronto bus service) only holds video for 72 hours.

One has to think like the murder team. NW didn't just walk home. Too risky. He was dropped off and picked up somewhere. Because of other case specifics this was very unlikely to be a total one man show. I doubt it was a big show either. To pull something like this off, it probably isn't even the crime scene that's the biggest vulnerability, but tracking.

Can you think of a better option than the bus? Completely free travel to a wide variety of areas. Invisible after 72 h. KD states he thinks wednesday was picked for a reason, despite thursday being a potentially easier day. Why?

By the time the police hit the ground running re interviews, on the Sunday, TTC video was gone. TPS likely have still not even considered this, given they hadn't taken the neighbor's video until the Sunday night.

imo, speculation

Last edited:

So now I am confused. I have never considered JS estranged from BS. Someone please shed some light on this. I know he was always demanding money from BS, but they communicated often even if it was mainly for business. Maybe my idea if estranged is different from others? Plus if they were estranged why invite him for a Christmas party? They also had lunch together at times. I don't get how you can be estranged but still be in constant contact for business stuff and still be constantly asking for money if you are estranged.

"Jonathon told me the lunch proposed in October never happened, although they did have one in late November with Paulin present to discuss the short-term cash needs of Green Storage, along with Barry’s request for the repayment of the $50 million to $60 million"

“In short, my father was always very supportive of me and my businesses, including throughout 2017,” Jonathon wrote me on Dec. 12, 2020. “He did have his moments where he had more available cash for investing, and sometimes less, and we had mature conversations about this. This is what billionaires do with their sons.”

"In our interview, Jonathon spoke highly of his relationship with his father, and said “everything” he and his business partner did was made possible with money his father loaned them from Sherfam, the family holding company. He said his father was “all in with Adam and me” in the storage business."

So now I am confused. I have never considered JS estranged from BS. Someone please shed some light on this. I know he was always demanding money from BS, but they communicated often even if it was mainly for business. Maybe my idea if estranged is different from others? Plus if they were estranged why invite him for a Christmas party? They also had lunch together at times. I don't get how you can be estranged but still be in constant contact for business stuff and still be constantly asking for money if you are estranged.

"Jonathon told me the lunch proposed in October never happened, although they did have one in late November with Paulin present to discuss the short-term cash needs of Green Storage, along with Barry’s request for the repayment of the $50 million to $60 million"

“In short, my father was always very supportive of me and my businesses, including throughout 2017,” Jonathon wrote me on Dec. 12, 2020. “He did have his moments where he had more available cash for investing, and sometimes less, and we had mature conversations about this. This is what billionaires do with their sons.”

"In our interview, Jonathon spoke highly of his relationship with his father, and said “everything” he and his business partner did was made possible with money his father loaned them from Sherfam, the family holding company. He said his father was “all in with Adam and me” in the storage business."
The following is a transcript of KD's Podcast Ep. 7 "Pointing Fingers". Its worth listening to that entire thing obviously, but this part is interesting.

"I tell him I am all ears but he wants to take it slow. He does make me a promise though: "one thing I can assure you is I will never mislead you, I'll never lie to you - i will try to help you find your way to the truth". Given that pledge I dive into what I think is the real reason Jonathon agreed to meet: a provocative question I asked him the week before.

A couple of sources had told me that not long before the murders a court ordered Barry to pay a brand name drug company $580 billion. Barry was stretched for cash as a result. Yes, he was a billionaire, but he was not that liquid.
My sources said that as a part of a cost cutting plan Barry told Jonathon: "that's it, I'm turning off your money tap."

In an email to Jonathon, I told him that some might see this as a motive for murder. Jonathon responded quickly, accusing me by email of disgraceful tactics. He said his father was incredibly supportive despite this financial hiccup. I thought that's all he'd ever say but then over the next two days and often late into the evening jonathon forwarded me a series of emails his father had sent on this very issue. I was surpised to receive them. You see, they not only confirm what my sources told me, they went further.

Here's a couple. And remember Barry and Honey were murdered December 13th, 2017. These emails were one month before.

Barry write to Jonathon and his business partner Adam Paulin, copying money advisor Alex Glassenberg.

subject line: arranging mortages

Barry: we might need to pay the $580 judgment in January. We thus need to take steps to improve liquidity, in case needed. I thus request that you discuss with Alex and arrange first mortgages to enable repaying $50-60 million, if possible. Please do within weeks.

There'a more back and worth in this email chain. Barry repeats that he needs this money. Then Adam Paulin, Jonathan's partner, asks if they can have lunch. Jonathon and Adam have free office space down the hall from Barry at Apotex but they communicate by email. Barry writes back: "Okay".

After this lunch, there's a request from Jonathon and Adam. This time for $6.2 million to help them expand one of their self storage sites. But, this is while Barry's request for $50-60 million is still on the table. Minutes later Barry shoots back. This is now November 28 and it's a classic Barry Sherman email - direct, to the point. Written to Jonathon and Adam but addressed only to his son's partner:

Barry: Adam, as discussed, you have take steps immediately to arrange mortgages. What will you do and when?"

END
------------
JS has a history of grievance re: BS and money. Much of it related to what he viewed as cash burning by funding FD. According to KD, JS "hates" and "despises" FD. This is covered through email transcripts later in the episode discussed above. It seems like KD believes the $500M transfer to HS was in the works. Any better explanation for the obvious evidenced will movement with DH and Blaney's on both HS and BS part. Don't forget that little 9:01 pm call KD re-discovered. A good lesson that the devil is in the details in this case.

imo, speculation, all involved assumed innocent, no suspects named

Last edited:

you can be estranged and still asking for ( his money cause he is the male inheritor ) isnt this the possible reason why he was fed money still..cause he was the only male ?
it depends on the family dynamics ...and the culture and the money
for ex we have no evidence whatsoever..that he was in any contact with the mother lately
its not possible for anyone including this KD to know whats been going on behind the scenes with the family.. you only have claims to go by

ill give you more food for thought
if I am not wrong...during his i9nterview.. the son gives you the impression that because he was not in normal contact with his parents, it was thus impossible for him to know the specifics of his parents schedule or anything that was happening at that house..to be the accused
translate this as you like
I even couldnt guess.. when was the last time the son was in the house ? this is never mentioned if I recall right?

ill give you more food for thought
if I am not wrong...during his i9nterview.. the son gives you the impression that because he was not in normal contact with his parents, it was thus impossible for him to know the specifics of his parents schedule or anything that was happening at that house..to be the accused
translate this as you like
I even couldnt guess.. when was the last time the son was in the house ? this is never mentioned if I recall right?
JS grew up at 50 Old Colony Road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member