Found Deceased Canada - Brett LeBlanc, 24, Trent University student, blind, Peterborough ON, 17 Nov 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is an update from Lucas Charron from the Nov 22, 2020 - Search and Rescue for Brett Event.
**UPDATE**
I just want to start off by saying thank you to everyone that took the time out of their busy schedules to come out today and help us search for Brett! We had an amazing turn out and you could definitely feel the love and how much we all wanted to bring Brett home today. However unfortunately our search today yielded no results. On a positive note though we all put in a lot of good effort today and covered a lot of ground which is just one step closer to being able to rule out the possibility that he is lost. I have spoke with the detective in charge of this case and was told that they received a lot of calls today with possible clues so thank you to everyone who reported those! They will be collected and examined and it will be determined later weather they are linked or not but every little bit helps so again thank you!
As a lot of you have been asking. Yes the fire department has had boats on the Trent searching the water as well as the police helicopter and drone flying up and down the river and over wooded areas searching. The police conducted grid searches in the area today as well but as far as I know did not yield any results either.
Some of you have been asking if the search will continue tomorrow. Unfortunately I will not be able to continue the search myself as I have to go back to work but I encourage anyone who wants to continue searching to do so! Just please do not search alone and please try and keep away from the water. We do not want to create another search and rescue mission.
From the information I have gathered Brett rarely left campus and when he did, it was just going to a friends house to hangout, although recently due to covid-19 he has only been to a couple of friends houses who are also actively involved with helping to try and find him and did not see Brett the night of his disappearance. Brett would go home Friday every week and come back Monday and his parents helped provided everything he would need such as groceries, snacks, coffee, laundry, even occasionally alcohol. He also had a meal plan for food. They made sure he did his errands on the weekends so that he did not have the struggle of trying to navigate Peterbrough alone to get the things he needed by himself throughout the week.
What I suggest knowing this information is to continue to search the campus and surrounding woodland areas although you should still keep looking everywhere you go weather near the campus or not. I know we have already searched a lot of these areas but someone may see something someone else didn’t so it never hurts to keep trying! If you do decide to keep searching I ask that you please be respectful of peoples property and private space and do not enter any buildings unless authorized if we are searching the campus areas. Also please be polite if security questions your presence. They are actively assisting with the search for Brett and I would like to thank them for all their support today as well.
I want to give a special thank you to the the owner Donna of the Tim Hortons and her staff on water street for allowing us to use her establishment to meet and park as well as print off more maps for us and provide coffee this morning. It was very kind and much appreciated!
This is all I know for now and will update as I find out more. The information I have gathered is not official information released by police it is just information that I have gathered from family and friends that I believe may aid in helping find him.
Thank you again to everyone for all your support and let’s get Brett home safe!
If any contact is made with Brett or you see anything you think might be related to his disappearance please leave it where you found it and contact the Peterborough police 705- 876-1122.
link to the event; SEARCH AND RESCUE FOR BRETT
SUN, NOV 22
SEARCH AND RESCUE FOR BRETT
Shared to Help Bring Brett LeBlanc Home Safe!

Sad news:(

The body of Trent University student Brett LeBlanc, who has been missing since last Tuesday, has been located.

Emergency personnel made the discovery off Armour Road, near the hydro electric dam by Nassau Mills Road on Monday afternoon, Nov. 23.

Body of missing Trent University student found

by a dam? does that mean he was in the water?

ETA: yep, found my answer (from the link above):

As a result of information received, the Peterborough Police with the assistance of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a search of the Otonabee River

At approximately 3:15 pm, the OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit (USRU) located the body of Leblanc.

I really think this was an accident. The Otanabee River is the one running through campus and there are no barriers (from what I can see).
I want to see if his parents will seek legal action against the school. The campus layout is very beautiful, but its dangerous. There aren't even markings (ie like a short cement wall you could feel with a walking stick) to indicate to a blind person where the water starts. It's an accident waiting to happen!

I really think this was an accident. The Otanabee River is the one running through campus and there are no barriers (from what I can see).
I want to see if his parents will seek legal action against the school. The campus layout is very beautiful, but its dangerous. There aren't even markings (ie like a short cement wall you could feel with a walking stick) to indicate to a blind person where the water starts. It's an accident waiting to happen!

That's the biggest question that's been on my mind since reading this terrible news. I must say though that as a Trent student, I am confused as to how exactly an accident would've happened. Of course it's entirely possible, and I have no idea what it's like navigating campus as a legally blind person.

At the same time, looking at posts to his Facebook page, it appears Brett had attended Trent prior to this year. As dangerous as the layout looks on Google, the river is actually quite a distance from any trails, and I highly doubt anyone familiar with the campus would approach it unknowingly. To get that close, Brett would've had to diverge from the main walking routes. From most areas on the west bank he'd have to either go down a flight of steps or walk down a dark side path which would've only led to a steep flight of stairs going back up to the main area. Even if he was walking there, I imagine he would've felt the cement trail turn to grass with his walking stick if he veered off the path. From the east bank, where the accessible residence is located (where he was most likely living), he would've had to cross a road -- and even then there is nothing on the other side, which lends no reason for him to go there (see: https://www.trentu.ca/about/sites/trentu.ca.about/files/documents/SymonsforHowToFindUs.jpg). And like downfromthere said earlier, most parts of the river slope down gradually -- I've swam in it many times and rarely seen it drop off somewhere.

My biggest hang up is that I can't think of any reason Brett would've been walking by the river after dark. The bus loop, cafeteria, etc. would've all been in the opposite direction of the river from his residence. That said, this is only my thought process.

Regardless, I'm deeply saddened by this news and extend my condolences to Brett's family and friends. It's hard to come to terms with how and why this happened just as a community member, let alone someone close to him. My thoughts are with them.

That's the biggest question that's been on my mind since reading this terrible news. I must say though that as a Trent student, I am confused as to how exactly an accident would've happened. Of course it's entirely possible, and I have no idea what it's like navigating campus as a legally blind person.

At the same time, looking at posts to his Facebook page, it appears Brett had attended Trent prior to this year. As dangerous as the layout looks on Google, the river is actually quite a distance from any trails, and I highly doubt anyone familiar with the campus would approach it unknowingly. To get that close, Brett would've had to diverge from the main walking routes. From most areas on the west bank he'd have to either go down a flight of steps or walk down a dark side path which would've only led to a steep flight of stairs going back up to the main area. Even if he was walking there, I imagine he would've felt the cement trail turn to grass with his walking stick if he veered off the path. From the east bank, where the accessible residence is located (where he was most likely living), he would've had to cross a road -- and even then there is nothing on the other side, which lends no reason for him to go there (see: https://www.trentu.ca/about/sites/trentu.ca.about/files/documents/SymonsforHowToFindUs.jpg). And like downfromthere said earlier, most parts of the river slope down gradually -- I've swam in it many times and rarely seen it drop off somewhere.

My biggest hang up is that I can't think of any reason Brett would've been walking by the river after dark. The bus loop, cafeteria, etc. would've all been in the opposite direction of the river from his residence. That said, this is only my thought process.

Regardless, I'm deeply saddened by this news and extend my condolences to Brett's family and friends. It's hard to come to terms with how and why this happened just as a community member, let alone someone close to him. My thoughts are with them.

condolences to the family,
if you walk at Trent you know there is lots of camera inside and out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back