Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 *killer identified* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Dedpanman

Reaction score
Basic summary of the case:

October 3, 1984. At approximately 3:50 pm, Christine Jessop got off her school bus on Leslie Street, just north of the main intersection in Queensville, Ontario. She was most likely excited about her new acquisition – a plastic recorder (a whistle-like musical instrument) given to her that day by her school teacher. She had apparently made plans to meet her classmate, Leslie Chipman at the park (just east of the main intersection and near the corner store) around 4 pm.

Christine picked up her family's mail and bounded up the lane and into her home. No one was there. Her father (Bob) was serving time in a correctional facility. Her mother (Janet) was out running errands with Christine’s older brother (Ken).

According to witness testimony, at some point between 4:00 and 4:30 pm, Christine strolled into the convenience store located at the intersection south of her home on Leslie Street and bought some gum.

Leslie Chipman, who had apparently called Christine’s house shortly after she got off the school bus and got no answer there, went to the park to await Christine. Christine never showed up.

When Janet and Ken Jessop arrived home at about 4:10 pm, they saw Christine’s bicycle where she normally kept it – but it was in a fallen state with some minor damage. Her book bag was on the kitchen counter, as well as the mail.

Unable to find Christine, they called her friends and searched the neighbourhood and the nearby park. She was nowhere to be found. Sometime between seven and eight o’clock, Janet called police and a massive search for the little girl began.

On December 31, 1984, Christine’s body was found at the edge of a farmer’s filed near Sunderland, a community 40 km east of Queensville.

Details of the crime scene according to the “Kaufman Report” (CHAPTER V):

“Her body was on its back and decomposed. Her legs were spread apart in an unnatural position and her knees were spread outward. Animals appeared to have eaten at the legs. Her head was pointed north and her feet south. A sweater was pulled over her head. A few bones were scattered between her head and what remained of her legs, giving the appearance that her head and waist were not connected. The victim was wearing a beige turtleneck sweater, a blue pullover sweater, a blouse on which some buttons were missing and two pairs of socks. Her panties were found at her right foot. Blue corduroy pants with a belt and a pair of Nike running shoes were found just south of her feet. These clothes were subsequently identified as belonging to Christine. Her school recorder, with her name still taped on it, was found next to her body. The hand-knitted blue sweater with the zippered front and no collar, which she was last reported wearing, was not found on the body; nor was it ever located.”

Christine had been killed by multiple stab wounds to the upper body.

In 1995, DNA from the semen found on her underwear was used to exonerate a Queensville man who had been wrongly convicted of her murder (Guy Paul Morin). A subsequent inquiry into the matter revealed numerous police blunders and misconduct during the investigation, contaminated evidence, and fabricated witness testimony.

Christine Jessop’s murder remains unsolved to this day.

Thread #1

Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
things I'd forgotten:

wrt mail. ? original source?
Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

"Christine picked up her family's mail and bounded up the lane and into her home. No one was there. Her father (Bob) was serving time in a correctional facility. Her mother (Janet) was out running errands with Christine’s older brother (Ken)."

"When Janet and Ken Jessop arrived home at about 4:10 pm, they saw Christine’s bicycle where she normally kept it – but it was in a fallen state with some minor damage. Her book bag was on the kitchen counter, as well as the mail."

Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

KJ answers
"1. Did Christine have a house key, and did she use it to let herself into the house the day she disappeared?
Doors were unlocked"

Last edited:
Looking through back threads.
Did / Where did JJ work at the time of CJ's abduction?

"Christine only had one Cabbage Patch Doll. She never took it out of the house. She was buried with it. It was her confidant. Her best friend. And is with her still..."

Her "best friend" was a stuffed bunny named Thumper also the Cabbage Patch Doll was not buried with her. It was still in her room when the Star interviewed Mom.

wrt Global's Crime Beat episodes

Looked for Thumper, didn't see a bunny, offhand?, in the footage of CJ's room.
Maybe the grey and white mass, beside the black octopus?

oh, Thumper in 2012
Heyya Mistysues,

For Janet Jessop, October is a time to mourn murdered daughter Christine all over again
Published on Wed Aug 15 2012

"Nearby are stuffed bears and rabbits, including Christine’s favorite toy, a stuffed bunny named Thumper. There are also several little plaster angels."

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s weird how we can’t find his obituary. You’d expect it to be public for years now, but that’s apparently not the case. Even genealogy websites aren’t pulling anything up. The only other person I still have this issue with is Robert Lynn Bradley.

It’s baffling, really.

Also, I see that Delia and Christine live about an hour's drive from each other, so in same general area if same murderer involved.
Yes, both murders occurred within Hoovers "comfort zone" and occurred at the same time of year. Delia went missing on September 26th, 1982 and was last seen walking to her home in Oakville, Ontario. Her body was found on Nov 6 in a wooded area about 32 km away.

Lizzie Tomlinson was abducted in May 1980 and her body was hidden less than a mile away in some bushes.

Jami Fernandez, 18, went missing from Port Perry on October 15th, 1997. That was about a year after Hoover's DUI. She has never been found.

Then there is Kelly Mombourquette, 14, who ran away from a group home on October 3rd, 1987. Her body was found on Oct 19 near Yorkland Boulevard in the northeast corner of Toronto. She had been bludgeoned and her throat was slit.

These a
Interesting. I did a quick newspaper search for the guy also - but didn't find that.
I wonder if it's the same guy? 1980 - would make him 24 years old - so similar age range with Joseph and Charles.

Keep digging.
Drag this jerk into the light.
These are the only two articles I could find for "Calvin Hoover" on the Globe's database. It is not clear whether this is the same person.
P.S. Interesting to read some of the comments above from 2012 and 2013. I was very much interested in this case after the report of the Kaufman inquiry was published and learned quite a bit about it.

Also, dodgy forensic science procedures and evidence. I doubt it was a case covered by Forensic Files
It would not be a good idea of write off the other forensic evidence in the case (particularly the hair, fingerprint and fibre) as these could also be used to confirm Calvin Hoover's guilt.

Wondering why a blood sample would be kept at the Centre for Forensic Sciences if a person committed suicide. Was the killer's autopsy completed there in the first place? Was he suspected of serious crimes back in 2015 or is it standard practice to keep vials of blood of deceased people?
I wondered this too. Can anyone tell us whether this is customary for autopsies performed in Ontario?

It would not be a good idea of write off the other forensic evidence in the case (particularly the hair, fingerprint and fibre) as these could also be used to confirm Calvin Hoover's guilt.
Yes, I'm guessing the hair did belong to Hoover. I wonder if there were similar hairs or fibers found on any of the other murder victims in that area.

Yes, I'm guessing the hair did belong to Hoover. I wonder if there were similar hairs or fibers found on any of the other murder victims in that area.
The hair likely belonged to Christine's murderer. It stood out as it was much different than her own and was entwined in the necklace which was itself wrapped in the bundle of clothing pulled over Christine's head.

If the two detectives were as bad as it seems they were then they may not even have questioned Hoover. Further, it's quite possible that Hoover taking part in the search efforts and attending the funeral eliminated him as a suspect in the cops' minds. They noted that Morin did the opposite and used it against him.
I've been reading your posts and I think in fairness, it should be pointed out that some evidence pointed to Guy Paul Morin. The hair on Christine's body was considered a match for his, and some of the fibres on Christine's body resembled those in the vehicle which Guy Paul had driven that day. Guy Paul also made some commments that reasonably suggested he knew something about the murder. I am just pointing this out because this case has become a very important one and it would not accomplish anything to blame everything on two inept detectives.

The hair likely belonged to Christine's murderer. It stood out as it was much different than her own and was entwined in the necklace which was itself wrapped in the bundle of clothing pulled over Christine's head.
Yes, but if it was consistent to Morin's it may be similar to Hoover's. His hair is brown and may have been a similar length at the time. If they found similar hairs on other victims it might help connect him to their murders.

I've been reading your posts and I think in fairness, it should be pointed out that some evidence pointed to Guy Paul Morin. The hair on Christine's body was considered a match for his, and some of the fibres on Christine's body resembled those in the vehicle. Guy Paul also made some commments that suggested he knew something about the murder. I am just pointing this out because this case has become a very important one and it would not accomplish anything to blame everything on two inept detectives.
Well, the problem was that detectives used the word "match" when they should have used "consistent with." This was one of the details the commissioner later pointed out. Hair strands can have similar characteristics but there is no way to determine that they are an exact match, except through DNA. Imo

REDRUM page 92-93

Details from Mr. Cull...he owned the property where Christine's body was found.

-Mr. & Mrs. Cull were at the property in early October
-Mr. Cull did recall a foul odour in late October, he never found a source for it, he took it to be caused by nearby goats
-Mrs. Cull died suddenly Nov 1, 1984
-Mr. Cull returned to the property in early December and discovered his trailer had been broken into
-Many items were missing
-He reported the break in to DRPS but it seems little was done
-Mr. Cull had little to offer after CJ was found other than his recollection of a white car driving up the tractor path earlier that fall...the car hurriedly turned around after the male and female occupants spotted Mr & Mrs Cull in the garden
-Mr. Cull abandoned the the little trailer never to return

How is it that Mr. Cull at no time in October or December noticed Christine's tiny body laying just mere meters from his trailer?
I once asked an embalmer friend if dead bodies smell like goats and he laughed. I think was Mr. Cull smelled were - goats.
The
Apparently the body was well hidden in high weeds and there was a pile of woodchips blocking the view from the path. Patterson only found it because his dog went into the area to investigate, and he and his daughter followed.

Imo
I stopped by the site myself many years ago. The body was found in a wooded, brushy area some distance off a tractor path. It is quite conceivable that it lay unnoticed for several months. The scene was also highly suggestive of a struggle there, with Christine's record and torn buttons found some distance from the actual body. While Guy Paul Morin's lawyers explored the possibility of a "dumped body", it just didn't have the ring of truth. (IMO, of course.)
(I have never actually smelled a goat, but I think feta cheese gives some notion of the aroma. I had an emblamer friend when I studied this case and I asked him if a decomposing body smelled like goats. He laughed out loud and said "I hope not." I think what Mr. Cull smelled was actually goats. )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cweiss72
Back