Canada - Connor, 6, & Noah Barthe, 4, killed by python, Campbellton, NB, 5 Aug 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So. Python gets out of cage via hole, shinnies up into ventilation system, crawls through it across ceiling, a portion of which collapses. If the snake (iirc, weighing about a hundred pounds) and part of the vent had fallen directly on the boys, would this have been enough in itself to kill them?

That's a good point, plus wouldn't that be noisy?

You said they won't take the feed unless there is movement. I'm confused.

A lot of snakes WILL take prey that is not moving.

That includes some pythons, rattlers, etc... Plus many snakes have individual preferences depending on their personalities and how they were raised to accept food.

I keep Garters which of course much much smaller but I can just place a plate of room temp food in their enclosure and they will find it by scent and gobble it up out of the dish by themselves, most garters will do that. I have had a ball python that would do the same thing. If it smells like food they will often go for it.

If I smell like food one of mine will bite the heck out of me while the other does not. When they are hungry some can be very vicious and indiscriminate little things and will bite anything that moves or smells like food.

If he was squeezing them and they struggled wouldn't it try to eat them? Or bite? Have you ever known a snake to suffocate its prey and then leave it for later? Or are you saying that this snake could have constricted both boys to death, and even after all that time, realize its mistake and leave them alone without trying to eat them? What about all the articles we have read about snake attacks which state they would strike first or try to eat the human after suffocating them? The cases of suffocation pretty much all included attempts at eating the humans involved except in the case when someones was standing nearby and watched the suffocation (and presumably got the snake off before it began to eat).

African Rock Pythons are supposedly very afraid of humans and very aggressive if they feel cornered. Perhaps the guy was NOT home, the snake came into the room somehow and then either was frightened and attacked one kid or tried to eat one while the other kid tried to get the snake off.

I never had a problem with snakes, until hubby was bitten by a Copperhead in April. Now they give me the heebie Jeebies.

Daily Mail's latest update, lots of pictures plus a video and the article here:

Revealed: How 16ft python escaped through hole in enclosure and strangled sleeping
brothers, 4 and 6, as heartbroken family describes boys' final happy hours before tragedy

• Noah and Connor Barthe were sleeping when an African rock python in a nearby room escaped its cage through a small hole in the ceiling
• It slithered through a ventilation shaft, which collapsed as the snake moved across the living room, where the boys were sleeping
• A criminal investigation has been launched but no charges so far
• Officials said African rock pythons are not allowed in the province
• Boys spent final day playing with friends and visiting farm

It is just astonishing to me that the man did not hear the noise that would have occurred when a hundred-plus pound snake along with a ventilation shaft and ceiling collapses in the livingroom. I certainly would not want my little boys to stay overnight with someone who can't hear something like that.

That's a good point, plus wouldn't that be noisy?

IA, You would think that the noise from a collapsing ceiling, ventilation duct and a hundred-plus pound snake falling into the livingroom would awaken anyone.

I am sorry, But snakes need to be outlawed as pets. My son wanted one when he came home from Japan and I told him *Not in my house*!!

Very large species should not be sold to any fool that wants to buy one in the pet trade, most often it is the snake that will suffer.

Having said that there are a lot of nice species that do well in captivity and make very enjoyable and utterly beautiful pets. If you don't like snakes then don't keep them in your house. My little guys are wonderful and quite entertaining to watch.

For the animal lovers....here they are eating pieces of trout fillet...

[video=youtube;B5nLEfYnVw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5nLEfYnVw8[/video]

IA, You would think that the noise from a collapsing ceiling, ventilation duct and a hundred-plus pound snake falling into the livingroom would awaken anyone.

Exactly..I know I am not going to sleep tonight. I will be thinking about this all night...

So. Python gets out of cage via hole, shinnies up into ventilation system, crawls through it across ceiling, a portion of which collapses. If the snake (iirc, weighing about a hundred pounds) and part of the vent had fallen directly on the boys, would this have been enough in itself to kill them?

Python had to slither up two stories in order to be in the ceiling of the second story apartment over the pet store. IMO, that would in itself made noise in the ductwork. I'm also having a hard time believing that the boys just happen to be lying so close together that the snake managed to constrict around both of them simultaneously thereby preventing either boy to cry out or run away. Then, after constricting and crushing the boys causing suffocation, the snake doesn't eat either one of them. I would imagine that the snake was a bit spooked falling from the ceiling and landing on the floor and most likely would have been in an aggressive mode, striking out to the boys and biting them. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't constrictors usually squeeze their prey to kill the prey as well as to prepare it for easier swallowing? They hold the prey with their teeth until they can wrap aroung them. From the owner's story, he did not become aware of what had happened until 6:30 am so why didn't the snake eat their prey?

Python had to slither up two stories in order to be in the ceiling of the second story apartment over the pet store. IMO, that would in itself made noise in the ductwork. I'm also having a hard time believing that the boys just happen to be lying so close together that the snake managed to constrict around both of them simultaneously thereby preventing either boy to cry out or run away. Then, after constricting and crushing the boys causing suffocation, the snake doesn't eat either one of them. I would imagine that the snake was a bit spooked falling from the ceiling and landing on the floor and most likely would have been in an aggressive mode, striking out to the boys and biting them. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't constrictors usually squeeze their prey to kill the prey as well as to prepare it for easier swallowing? They hold the prey with their teeth until they can wrap aroung them. From the owner's story, he did not become aware of what had happened until 6:30 am so why didn't the snake eat their prey?

The residential dwelling was upstairs, with the "store". The snake did not have to travel upstairs, as originally reported [in haste I presume].

Exactly..I know I am not going to sleep tonight. I will be thinking about this all night...

:floorlaugh: I worked in La Place, Louisianna in the late seventies and in La Place was a huge retile farm/zoo. It had the largest pythons I've ever seen. I worked a shutdown at the local power plant and rented a mobile home in a park nearby. One morning as we were leaving for work we heard a woman screaming hysterically in the trailer park. People ran to the trailer where the screaming was and found out that the woman got up to make coffee and found a huge python lying across her kitchen counter. Police were called and someone came immediately from the reptile zoo to capture the snake. We moved to another place after that. No one could figure out how on earth the snake got into the mobile home. It was about twelve feet in length.

Quote ginita1 #135

Don't you think the boys would keep trying to move if a big snake was squeezing them? You said they won't take the feed unless there is movement. I'm confused. If he was squeezing them and they struggled wouldn't it try to eat them? Or bite? Have you ever known a snake to suffocate its prey and then leave it for later? Or are you saying that this snake could have constricted both boys to death, and even after all that time, realize its mistake and leave them alone without trying to eat them? What about all the articles we have read about snake attacks which state they would strike first or try to eat the human after suffocating them? The cases of suffocation pretty much all included attempts at eating the humans involved except in the case when someones was standing nearby and watched the suffocation (and presumably got the snake off before it began to eat).

All i know is the behavior of the reptiles i had, i got them when my son was about 7, the kids loved them, even the kids with snake phobia would want to come over on feeding days. If you had told me snakes could remember, had intelligence, had personality, could actually be friendly-i would of laughed-thats not what i read in the books, its true none the less though. -some snakes are just snakes and some within the same species, were just different.
I did feed live when i first got snakes, and i had 3 snakes in one enclosure- and yup, one snake would kill release, and grab another, it was'nt about hunger she just liked hunting, she was the one that could open the sliding glass. The bite is unimportant to the snake, and its not like a dog bite, it is more just a matter of alignment.

I don't think they crush enough to break bones, broken bones would be sharp, not good for a snake. They take the breath away.

The boys- it would be their upper body that moved when they woke, snakes don't do a pretty coil, they will use the end of the tail to grab if need be, the snake will try to subdue all movement.

The warmer it is the faster the snake can move and it will also be more prey driven.
I don't think it was hunting the children, but its possible- humans are the food source, this is not a wild snake- its behavior and confidence will not be text book.

Snakes come in designer colors, breeding big snakes is rare now, but people bought them when they were babies. Pythons are very heavy bodied, i had african house snakes and corn snakes, which are skinny snakes, i could hold a 5 ft snake in my hand, python are very strong bodied, snakes are just one big muscle.

i weighted my lids, but once in a while, all the snake needs is to get its nose into a slight crack, if the nose can get in the body will follow. i don't know how they do it but they can.
Snakes use their body not their mouth.

Ball pythons are good pets, other pythons just grow to big to be managable.
Maybe there should be an amnesty for the big older snakes, but they would be euthinized. my belief is you should not have a creature you can't physically control(except for horses a such) that means snakes, monitor lizards, primates and some large breed dogs. jmo

It is true sonya- snakes (some) will take feed if not moving, but if something moves while they are in hunting mode, (some) will go after anything, even a stick.

:floorlaugh: I worked in La Place, Louisianna in the late seventies and in La Place was a huge retile farm/zoo. It had the largest pythons I've ever seen. I worked a shutdown at the local power plant and rented a mobile home in a park nearby. One morning as we were leaving for work we heard a woman screaming hysterically in the trailer park. People ran to the trailer where the screaming was and found out that the woman got up to make coffee and found a huge python lying across her kitchen counter. Police were called and someone came immediately from the reptile zoo to capture the snake. We moved to another place after that. No one could figure out how on earth the snake got into the mobile home. It was about twelve feet in length.

Lone, I know you are trying to make sure I don't sleep for the next 10 years!

I live in Southern AR, not too far from LA. Now, I know those pythons are plotting a visit to me!:blushing:

So, nao, you are saying that some snakes will kill one prey and then leave it to go kill another? But surely if that happened, while the snake was killing the first boy, the second one would be screaming his head off, or would run to get help or something?

Tink

Very large species should not be sold to any fool that wants to buy one in the pet trade, most often it is the snake that will suffer.

Having said that there are a lot of nice species that do well in captivity and make very enjoyable and utterly beautiful pets. If you don't like snakes then don't keep them in your house. My little guys are wonderful and quite entertaining to watch.

For the animal lovers....here they are eating pieces of trout fillet...

Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis - YouTube

I didn't watch, and you just had to go there, didntcha? :floorlaugh:

You're more of a woman than I will ever be, and I mean that sincerely! My Cherokee background looks upon this as a no no. I'm glad you enjoy the little fellas. :)

No Tink the snake either took them together, this was a very big snake, or the snake did'nt do it. jmo

I have a hard time figuring out the logistics of the snake constricting the two boys at the same time. I guess if they were scared and so stood with their arms wrapped around each other he could do it. But if they had time to be scared like that, surely they would have screamed for help, even if they couldn't run?

And the two are not exactly the same size, so it would be rather a stroke of luck for the snake to be able to crush both of them in vital areas at the same time, it seems to me. You'd think one would be able to wiggle out or at least yell.

I have a hard time making sense of the story, that all this could be happening in the next room (ceiling falling in, two boys being attacked by the snake) and the owner hears nothing.

Tink

No Tink the snake either took them together, this was a very big snake, or the snake did'nt do it. jmo

Just checking in and knew there would be a thread on this. Very true words you have just offered up. I cannot understand the python taking both at the same time and if it was looking for food why did the python just leave them after the life was squeezed out of them.

What are the chances the snake took both of them at the same time ... seems slim to me.

All just MOO, IMHO, etc.

Just checking in and knew there would be a thread on this. Very true words you have just offered up. I cannot understand the python taking both at the same time and if it was looking for food why did the python just leave them after the life was squeezed out of them.

What are the chances the snake took both of them at the same time ... seems slim to me.

All just MOO, IMHO, etc.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure an autopsy will exclude the snake being the culprit, or include it....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back