CANADA Canada - Coral Shay, 29, Toronto, January 1920

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ichor

Reaction score
I haven't seen any rules against this, so I hope it's okay. Coral was never officially listed as missing, though her living relatives have no idea what happened to her. She seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth after 1920. I know it's a rather strange case but nonetheless, I hope someone can make some sort of headway with it.

Overview:
r0DCqJn

Coral Shay, born 1891 in Forest, Ontario, Canada, was last verified to have been seen when she made a court appearance for her arson trial in January 1920. She'd set fire to a "home for wayward girls" she'd been forced to live in for 15 years. She was found not guilty. After this, she was supposed to go work as a maid again, but there doesn't seem to be any records of this, meaning her trial was the last official record of her. Her descendants don't know what happened to her, especially since it's not completely clear whether her parents and sisters even knew for sure themselves or if they just kept her under wraps more securely to stop a repeat performance.

(There are photos of Coral at the link. I can't seem to get them to show up here :( )
She stole a blanket and was trapped in a home for wayward girls for 15 years. Then she made a run for it | The Star

Family:

Her parents were:
  • Thomas Shay (1854-1924)
  • Margaret Shay (née Harvey) (1862-1944)
She had two sisters:
  • Margaret Shay (later Sutherland) (1882-1960)
  • Mabelle Shay (later Fraser) (1884-1967)

Theories:
  • According to the article, Coral's nephew would visit her in either Toronto or Detroit in an institution. She possibly lived and died there after her trial but there doesn't seem to be any concrete proof of this unless she changed her background and her name. It's also possible that the nephew just misremembered and they either never visited Coral or at least never visited her at an institution.
  • Both parents' obits listed her as being married to different men (though both with the same surname) in different cities. It's possible she married one (or both) of them, and changed her name. It's also possible it was a lie to keep the family 'looking good.'
  • Possibility that she's not really a Shay but an 'adopted' child or maybe a child from an affair, which would account for there being no known birth record or records later on with the name Coral Shay. She could have lived the rest of her life with a different (real??) name.

Personally, I'm leaning to perhaps a mix of one and three. From what I've heard, Coral's mom wasn't very fond of her and there's some who believe Thomas had an affair and took the resulting baby (Coral) to live with them which would explain why. It could also explain why Margaret never talked about her and why they kept her locked away for so long.

In many aspects, this reminds me of Rosemary Kennedy.

“Willful” women were locked up or given a lobotomy, or both.

I think Coral was smart enough to go underground. I hope her life after the “home” was a happy one.

Hopefully, Coral got away and got to live to ripe old age, but I'm still going to suggest Saskatoon Jane Doe, who was killed around 1920-1924. Is it possible that Coral travelled west and was killed there later? Age and timeline works, but I couldn't find other stats on Coral.

The Girl in Saskatoon's WS thread:
CANADA - Canada - Saskatoon, WhtFem 498UFSK, early 1900s murder victim, Jun'06

I haven't seen any rules against this, so I hope it's okay. Coral was never officially listed as missing, though her living relatives have no idea what happened to her. She seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth after 1920. I know it's a rather strange case but nonetheless, I hope someone can make some sort of headway with it.

Overview:
r0DCqJn

Coral Shay, born 1891 in Forest, Ontario, Canada, was last verified to have been seen when she made a court appearance for her arson trial in January 1920. She'd set fire to a "home for wayward girls" she'd been forced to live in for 15 years. She was found not guilty. After this, she was supposed to go work as a maid again, but there doesn't seem to be any records of this, meaning her trial was the last official record of her. Her descendants don't know what happened to her, especially since it's not completely clear whether her parents and sisters even knew for sure themselves or if they just kept her under wraps more securely to stop a repeat performance.

(There are photos of Coral at the link. I can't seem to get them to show up here :( )
She stole a blanket and was trapped in a home for wayward girls for 15 years. Then she made a run for it | The Star

Family:

Her parents were:
  • Thomas Shay (1854-1924)
  • Margaret Shay (née Harvey) (1862-1944)
She had two sisters:
  • Margaret Shay (later Sutherland) (1882-1960)
  • Mabelle Shay (later Fraser) (1884-1967)

Theories:
  • According to the article, Coral's nephew would visit her in either Toronto or Detroit in an institution. She possibly lived and died there after her trial but there doesn't seem to be any concrete proof of this unless she changed her background and her name. It's also possible that the nephew just misremembered and they either never visited Coral or at least never visited her at an institution.
  • Both parents' obits listed her as being married to different men (though both with the same surname) in different cities. It's possible she married one (or both) of them, and changed her name. It's also possible it was a lie to keep the family 'looking good.'
  • Possibility that she's not really a Shay but an 'adopted' child or maybe a child from an affair, which would account for there being no known birth record or records later on with the name Coral Shay. She could have lived the rest of her life with a different (real??) name.

Personally, I'm leaning to perhaps a mix of one and three. From what I've heard, Coral's mom wasn't very fond of her and there's some who believe Thomas had an affair and took the resulting baby (Coral) to live with them which would explain why. It could also explain why Margaret never talked about her and why they kept her locked away for so long.

There is 7 and 9 years between her and her sisters birthdays, 2 years between them (possibly even an natural abortion or a deceased child between them, so many small ones died in those days) IMO that's a lot, but not impossible, realistic? ..... Mom, Margaret was 20 and 22 when she gave birth to Margaret and Mabelle. She would have been 29 when and if she gave birth to Coral. She could indeed be a child out of wedlock. I feel very sorry for her....put away for 15 years! OMG. Really hope she got a real nice life after she "escaped". Could you find her exact birthday?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back