Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Political pressure grows for end to convoy protests as Ottawa warns of weekend surge | CP24.com
''South of the border, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a written statement urged federal, provincial and local authorities in Canada to immediately end the blockades that threaten her state's economy. She did so hours before a Michigan congresswoman, Elissa Slotkin, warned of similar protests in the future the longer Canadian authorities let the situation persist.

There was no White House briefing Thursday, but officials said senior staff and cabinet members including Homeland Security Sec. Alejandro Mayorkas and Transportation Sec. Pete Buttigieg have been in regular contact with their counterparts in Ottawa.

They have been “engaged around the clock to bring this to a swift end,” one official said, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss internal conversations.
“The president is being regularly briefed about the situation.”

Blockades by virus protest convoys banned in Paris, Brussels | CP24.com
''PARIS (AP) - Authorities in France and Belgium on Thursday banned road blockades threatened by groups organizing online against COVID-19 restrictions, in part inspired by protesters in Canada.

Citing “risks of trouble to public order,” the Paris police department banned protests aimed at “blocking the capital” from Friday through Monday. Police will put measures in place to protect roads and detain violators.

Blocking traffic can lead to two years in prison, 4,500 euros (more than $5,000) in fines and a suspended driver's license, the police department said in a statement.''

''The French protesters have been sharing images of truckers in Canada who have blockaded border crossings and paralyzed downtown Ottawa. They want an end to Canada's COVID-19 restrictions, including a rule for all truckers entering the country to be fully vaccinated.''

IMO, if the government gives in to protesters demands, then everyone who has a greivance will just start blocking bridges etc, to force the government to change their policies. The noisest and rudest people will run the country.

It's like Canada's long standing policy about international kidnappers, or terrorists, you just don't negotiate or pay them what they want. They will be discouraged and the tactics will be abandoned.

It's also the policy every good parent must adopt when dealing with their children. Or people who want a well-trained dog, rather than one who controls you.

IMO, it's no suprise the PCs and Singh jump at any chance to slag Trudeau, but I haven't heard any actual statements about what they themselves would do if they were Prime Minister.

JMO

Years ago I was curious about the difference between Canadian free speech and USA free speech. The best I could understand is that Canada includes the caviat : respect the autonomy of others. That means that protesters have the right to protest with a permit provided they do not interfere with the rights of others.

The protesters have repeatedly violated the autonomy of others during their "freedom" protest/occupation. The horns alone breach respecting the rights of other Canadians.

Trudeau should not meet with this disorganized group. They seem unable to define goals or name organizers. They're great at following "meet here" orders, but to claim that Canada is communist, that news is bots, that vaccines are implants? Something is off.

Pre-covid, antivax meant parents who did not give infants measles, mumps, rubella plus small pox vaccines. My daughter did not vaccinate any of her children, but when covid happened, she and her children got the shot.

The difference seems to be vaccines for illnesses today versus nearly eradicated diseases.

Today antivax seems to mean the shot is either bad for you, or ineffective.

Given that protesters have received what they demanded in Alberta and they still refused to remove the Coutts border blockade, it suggests that they have no leader. Protesters who make demands, receive them, then refuse to act in good faith? No leadership or bad character leadership.

The protesters made demands, the Alberta Premier said okay, but give Albertans 2 weeks to get with the program. Seems reasonable. The protesters should say thank you and leave. They can return in 2 weeks if the govt reneges. Meanwhile, university students and employees are preparing for full time in class learning and teaching with no vaccine and no mask mandates on Feb 28. Student Unions are demanding that mask mandates remain in place.

It's mask mandates: Truckers V University Students?

IMO, if the government gives in to protesters demands, then everyone who has a greivance will just start blocking bridges etc, to force the government to change their policies. The noisest and rudest people will run the country.

It's like Canada's long standing policy about international kidnappers, or terrorists, you just don't negotiate or pay them what they want. They will be discouraged and the tactics will be abandoned.

It's also the policy every good parent must adopt when dealing with their children. Or people who want a well-trained dog, rather than one who controls you.

IMO, it's no suprise the PCs and Singh jump at any chance to slag Trudeau, but I haven't heard any actual statements about what they themselves would do if they were Prime Minister.

JMO

True but it seems all provinces either have relaxed or are talking about relaxing restrictions with the view that Covid has peaked. I don’t think the government should give in to protesters demands either but neither they should hold out on mandates if they’re no longer effective in some kind of a senseless demonstration of power and control. This shouldn’t be perceived as a contest about winning or losing by those involved because it effects us all in various ways. JMO

True but it seems all provinces either have relaxed or are talking about relaxing restrictions with the view that Covid has peaked. I don’t think the government should give in to protesters demands either but neither they should hold out on mandates if they’re no longer effective in some kind of a senseless demonstration of power and control. This shouldn’t be perceived as a contest about winning or losing by those involved because it effects us all in various ways. JMO

Provincial health officers have advised that restrictions be added or removed based on whether hospitals can manage case loads. Pandemic restrictions have been repeatedly implemented and removed for two years. Of course that will continue. Today, Omicron has reportedly peaked. Naturally restrictions are reduced, like always.

The government has no history of implementing restrictions longer than necessary. Last Summer, there were next to no restrictions. Even masking restrictions were loose. There's no need to blockade an international border to ensure that restrictions come and go as needed, and as usual.

This seems to be an over-exaggerated and in bad faith response to an imaginary problem.

I have a hard time believing that Covid omicron has peaked when, for the first time in two years, and in the last month, 5/10 of immediate family have become sick. with covid. That doesn't sound like the virus is on the decline. Yesterday, today, I received information about positive tests with family. If the peak was passed, why do I receive messages from very careful people that they got sick anyway. Today?

Toronto Police Service :: Media Advisory #52149
''On Friday, February 11, 2022, at 1 p.m., in the Media Gallery of Toronto Police Headquarters, Chief of Police Jim Ramer will be joined by Mayor John Tory and Staff Superintendent Lauren Pogue to update the media on the Service's operational plans for the weekend.

The news conference will be live-streamed on YouTube. The news conference will be available over Dome Productions.''

The ‘Freedom Convoy’ isn’t just Canada’s problem | The Star
''WASHINGTON—Suddenly, the so-called “Freedom Convoy” isn’t just Justin Trudeau’s problem, as some of his opponents wished it to be. Not even just Canada’s problem. It’s gone international — with France and Belgium outlawing similar tactics and New Zealand moving to swiftly shut down a Canadian-inspired protest there. It became clear Thursday that U.S. officials view it as a budding problem, too, as they sounded alarms about the threat of copycat protests in the U.S., and about the economic damage already being done at the border.

It was reported Thursday that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has circulated a bulletin to its staff warning of similar potential protests in the U.S. — possibly disrupting the Super Bowl and President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address — that could “severely disrupt transportation, federal government operations, commercial facilities, and emergency services through gridlock and potential counterprotests.”

Last edited:
From link..
''Ford said the state of emergency will make it illegal and punishable to block and impede the movement of goods, people and services along the bridge.

Anyone who doesn’t comply, could face a maximum penalty of $100,000 and up to a year imprisonment.

“This will not impede the rights of Ontarians to peacefully protest. It will provide additional tools to help stop the illegal occupation of Ottawa and the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor,” Ford said.

Ford also said that the order provides additional authority to take away personal and commercial licenses of anyone who doesn’t comply.

Crowds of semi-trailer trucks and pickup trucks have been stationed at the Windsor end of the border crossing since Monday, closing off both directions of a street that connects with the bridge.''

The bridge is one of North America’s busiest international commercial border crossings.''

A thought provoking opinion piece IMO

“U.S. President Joe Biden was elected on a Buy America platform. The Trudeau government launched frantic lobbying efforts to exempt Canadian industries, especially automaking.

These blockades could give Biden an argument for repatriating all manufacturing by U.S. auto companies, ending the complex cross-border trade that keeps Ontario’s industry thriving.

Even the blockade at Coutts crossing, with its much smaller but still significant trade volumes, could have Americans rethinking where they buy their meat and other supplies. Some U.S. politicians are already calling for economic repatriation.

“Security of supply” had always been Canada’s best argument for open and highly lucrative trade with the U.S. Every Alberta premier for decades has pitched our completely reliable movement of goods, especially energy.

Now, Canada seems both unreliable and weak as a trading partner, unable to end blockades of vital crossings or even the national capital.

Biden is the most protectionist U.S. president in many years. Our economy simply can’t afford to hand him and the U.S. protectionists more excuses.

That’s what the protests are becoming — ready-made reasons to dismiss our economy as irrelevant and Canada as a comic-opera country, brought to its knees by trucks and honks and street parties….”
Braid: Governments waking up to convoy menace to Canada's economy | Calgary Herald

Hmmmm, here is my theory, <modsnip> but i agree in theory with the Convoy.

Thoughts.....

1. The main reason people agree or disagree with abortion clinics in the united states and world wide is because of the theory that they have a right to make a choice on their body. Right? Well, the same can be said for those who choose not to vax. They too have a right to use the same argument to support the decision to not get vaxxed.

2. The vaccine, is not a cure, it is a treatment to minimize symptoms, much like the flu shot, but you dont see people screaming and swearing at others in a enviroment like walmart because you are unvaxed, or unmasked due to the flu? nor is anyone lining up to force you to take a flu shot?

3. The world shut down, why? Because main stream media could scare the holy crap out of the world, they made it soundlike it was a mass casuality, and that people are dropping like flies, media showed people in countries hitting the ground where they stood. Yet, i had the virus twice, unvaxed and never saw one person react to the virus like the way the media had us believing it was.

4. I am by far stupid, i have degrees in both Biology and was exposed to medicine all my life. I also know that Biology, and medicine go hand in hand. I also understand the dynamics of virus and how they have to be handled. People die every year from all kinds of virus and side effects.

5. Vaxed and unvaxed are dying from covid, and the cases are higher in the vaxed.

6. if the vaccine does not prevent the virus, and does not keep you from getting it, but gives your body the ability to fight it off, then why are so many worried about a virus that will work its way through the population as all others have done in the past.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hard time believing that Covid omicron has peaked when, for the first time in two years, and in the last month, 5/10 of immediate family have become sick. with covid. That doesn't sound like the virus is on the decline. Yesterday, today, I received information about positive tests with family. If the peak was passed, why do I receive messages from very careful people that they got sick anyway. Today?
The stats such as Canada COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer show the peak in Omnicron infections was early January, right after Christmas when everyone had been travelling/visiting and then went back to work. Now it's declining rapidly, but the number of daily infections is still higher than it's ever been during the entire pandemic.

Last year, the peak was the same time in January, then restrictions were lifted beginning in February/March, and Covid came back strongly in April and restrictions had to be reinstated until May. Depending on your province, of course.

I think there are two separate issues: the temporary restrictions on gatherings, such as limiting capacity of people in restaurants, or masking; and the imposition of vaccination mandates through workplaces. The temporary restrictions ebb and flow with the current situation of the pandemic, but I think workplace vaccine mandates are here for much longer. The world has invested billions into the vaccines as the only way to end the pandemic, they're not going to abandon that strategy just because of the Onmicron variant.

I feel it's like travel restrictions imposed after 9/11: will there ever be a day when we can carry a large bottle of liquid on a plane? You could certainly argue it's unnecessary, but I doubt it will ever be permitted in my lifetime.

JMO

Hmmmm, here is my theory, <modsnip> but i agree in theory with the Convoy.

Thoughts.....

1. The main reason people agree or disagree with abortion clinics in the united states and world wide is because of the theory that they have a right to make a choice on their body. Right? Well, the same can be said for those who choose not to vax. They too have a right to use the same argument to support the decision to not get vaxxed.

2. The vaccine, is not a cure, it is a treatment to minimize symptoms, much like the flu shot, but you dont see people screaming and swearing at others in a enviroment like walmart because you are unvaxed, or unmasked due to the flu? nor is anyone lining up to force you to take a flu shot?

3. The world shut down, why? Because main stream media could scare the holy crap out of the world, they made it soundlike it was a mass casuality, and that people are dropping like flies, media showed people in countries hitting the ground where they stood. Yet, i had the virus twice, unvaxed and never saw one person react to the virus like the way the media had us believing it was.

4. I am by far stupid, i have degrees in both Biology and was exposed to medicine all my life. I also know that Biology, and medicine go hand in hand. I also understand the dynamics of virus and how they have to be handled. People die every year from all kinds of virus and side effects.

5. Vaxed and unvaxed are dying from covid, and the cases are higher in the vaxed.

6. if the vaccine does not prevent the virus, and does not keep you from getting it, but gives your body the ability to fight it off, then why are so many worried about a virus that will work its way through the population as all others have done in the past.

<modsnip>

<modsnip>
People can choose what they want to do with their bodies in Canada. Canadians can choose to vaccinate or not.

The USA has a vaccine mandate such that Canadian truckers have to be vaccinated to enter the USA. Canada has the same mandate. Protesters started this by claiming that they wanted Trudeau to extend the exemption that truckers had regarding vaccine at border crossing. That is, truckers had a special privilege that other Canadians did not have. When that special privilege was removed, and they were treated like others, they got mad.

Truckers who do not want to be vaccinated are free to work nationally in the second largest country in the world - lots of national work is available. Alternatively, they can quarantine for 5 days after arriving in the USA. That's according to the USA government. Protesters should know that Canada cannot remove the USA vaccine border mandate, but apparently they haven't thought that far ahead.

The protest is not about freedom, or the right to choose. It is clearly about disrupting the economy, imposing their wishes on others, disrespecting the rights of those who listen to medical advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, here is my theory, there is something awol in your thinking tho, not trying to start no mess, but i agree in theory with the Convoy.

Thoughts.....

The more diseases and sickness we get, the richer the powers that be get?
Yeah, they are offering free vaccines!! But somewhere along the line it falls back on the individual who pays taxes.

now, i am not trying to hurt no ones feelings, but the freedoms of the people of the country matter, The opinions of the people is supposed to get representives elected, to punish a sect of society because they have different views as you, is why they are distroying us from the inside out.

Its not about anti vaxers, and vaxers, and its not about republican or democrat, but what its about is are you gonna remove money from the equation are make decisions on what is good for a country that will one day house our children and grandchildren, alll of our children, your mine and all we love.

How do you think it makes me feel to turn on the news, during the election. I voted for trump i admit it. Does it make me the enemy no? We are all different, and honestly the poor, middle class, and upper middle class can say that we were never heard. They want you to think less of me because i think its important to remember this about me,
I want a free nation for my children
I want an option for both good and bad ideas to combine and work together, but you agenda should not be to isolate a group and victimize them for having a differnent idea of what we need as a nation.
I want representives that love our country and want whats best, not what you think is best.

In order to understand your adversary, your first have to listen.... you never know i can teach you something about yourself, and you me.

I was thinking about the general topic of FEAR in general. We’ve come to fear serious weather situations occurring as a result of climate change, we fear many places that are less safe now such as public transportation due to the prevalence of illegal drugs and then we have COVID where we’ve been taught to fear a stranger in a grocery store or public event who might pass it on just by breathing. Have our lives become dominated by fear? All these fears, I certainly never knew 20 years ago. I think of young people and what their introduction to adulthood to this scary world has become.

Often I notice kids cutting through the park. Sometimes they’re in small groups, enjoying the company of one another. But just as often I see one kid walking all alone - with a mask on - in the warm balmy weather we’ve been having and I wonder what’s with that?

Last edited:
46% of Canadians sympathize with trucker convoy, but many disagree with their tactics: poll - National | Globalnews.ca

Interesting that 61% of Canadians between 18 and 34 support the trucker convoy, and the overall support of Canadians for the convoy has grown to 46%.
I think that is misinterpreting the results.

"nearly 46 per cent of Canadians say they “may not agree with everything” the trucker convoy says or does, but the frustration of protesters is “legitimate and worthy” of sympathy."

In my opinion what that measures is that many Canadians are empathic for other people, even when they don't agree with them. They are compassionate, they don't put their political opinions ahead of being humane.

ETA: Also, it's usually young people who are out protesting on their own issues. And it's more often young people who dislike authority structures in general.
JMO

Last edited:
Ontario Premier Doug Ford was snowmobiling while Ottawa dealt with Freedom Convoy protests

Ontario premier goes on winter retreat after calling convoy a 'siege'

Ontario Premier Doug Ford was snowmobiling while Ottawa dealt with Freedom Convoy protests

"You call it a ‘siege,' Ottawa police said it was an ‘insurrection’ … can you explain why you decided to go snowmobiling during a stated insurrection and siege in Ottawa?" CTV News' Collin D'Mello asked Ford moments after the Ontario leader declared a state of emergency over the demonstrations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manga
Back