Deceased/Not Found Canada- Esther Jones, 55, last seen, Kingston, Nova Scotia, her silver 2009 Volkswagen Passat, found abandoned in Greenwood, 31/8/24, *Suspicious*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
September 10, 2024
Kingston, Nova Scotia
News release

Images​

Esther Jones
''The Nova Scotia RCMP is now investigating the disappearance of Esther Jones as suspicious, and the Southwest Nova RCMP Major Crime Unit is leading the investigation.
Annapolis District RCMP began a missing persons investigation on September 2 when Jones was reported missing to police. The 55-year-old was last seen August 31 in Kingston.
Jones is described as 5'4" with a slim build. She has dirty blond/brown, greying, shoulder-length hair and hazel eyes. She may have been wearing a black t-shirt with ties on the shoulders, a black and floral below-knee-length skirt, and sunglasses with mirrored lenses when she was last seen.
On September 4, officers located Jones' vehicle, a silver 2009 Volkswagen Passat, abandoned in Greenwood.
Through the course of the investigation, officers have deemed Jones' disappearance suspicious and the Southwest Nova Major Crime Unit has assumed lead of the investigation, which continues.
The Southwest Nova Major Crime Unit is asking anyone who has information in relation to the disappearance of Esther Jones to contact them at 902-825-2000. Should you wish to remain anonymous, call Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers, toll-free, at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submit a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca, or use the P3 Tips App.''

Jones was last seen a couple days earlier on Aug. 31 in Kingston, N.S.

On Sept. 4, officers found Jones’ vehicle — a silver 2009 Volkswagen Passat. It was found abandoned in Greenwood.

“Through the course of the investigation, officers have deemed Jones’ disappearance suspicious,” police said.

In this earlier news release by RCMP (dated Sep 5) it states that Esther's car was found on Bowlby Drive (in Greenwood). Bowlby Dr is the first street after crossing the Annapolis river from Kingston. It is fairly rural with a just a few scattered businesses along the way. The perp could have parked her car and walked back to another part of Greenwood or to Kingston. It's only a few km, to Kingston where Esther was last seen.

Missing woman: Help the RCMP find Esther Jones | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Here is Esther's FB page:
Esthie Jones

It seems that her mother had died only a couple of weeks before she disappeared and she had been her mother's carer. She has a degree in piano performance and she teaches piano.

I wonder what caused LE to determine that her disappearance was suspicious.

There was no partner listed for her in her mother's obituary. (of course she could have an ex) And I don't see any mention of children on her FB page. But she has a very large extended family: 14 siblings and 65 niblings (nieces and nephews).

Esther does not lead a high risk lifestyle. She completed a Baptist mission to Antigua early in 2024.

I wonder what caused LE to determine that her disappearance was suspicious.

There was no partner listed for her in her mother's obituary. (of course she could have an ex) And I don't see any mention of children on her FB page. But she has a very large extended family: 14 siblings and 65 niblings (nieces and nephews).

Esther does not lead a high risk lifestyle. She completed a Baptist mission to Antigua early in 2024.

The situation does seem quite odd....
I am sure her large family will be doing anything to resolve...
I just hope it is hopeful.

I live in the area and the whole community is very upset. I didn't know her, but my friend does and she said, "Anyone who knows Ester knew it was suspicious right from the start. A kinder soul you will never meet then her. I just pray that one way or another they find her. The family needs that to happen. Those who care about her need that to happen. Please God let that happen."

This is an update be the family posted by "The Valley Eye News" The Valley Eye Photography

"Many folks in the community are wanting to plan searches to help locate Esther as she is still missing. From the request of the RCMP and family people are being requested to hold off on searching at this time.

Officers are working the case and any type of outside search could potentially hinder the investigation and destroy evidence."

''Editor’s note: This story has been updated to correctly indicate that the missing woman was last seen in Kingston, N.S., not Kingston, Ont.
The Nova Scotia RCMP is investigating the “suspicious” disappearance of a 55-year-old woman.
Police said the Annapolis District RCMP began a missing person’s investigation into Esther Jones on Sept. 2 when she was first reported missing.''

1726078202292.png

''Editor’s note: This story has been updated to correctly indicate that the missing woman was last seen in Kingston, N.S., not Kingston, Ont.
The Nova Scotia RCMP is investigating the “suspicious” disappearance of a 55-year-old woman.
Police said the Annapolis District RCMP began a missing person’s investigation into Esther Jones on Sept. 2 when she was first reported missing.''

View attachment 530557
I find that fact very interesting, she wasn't reported missing for two days. Esther led a low-risk lifestyle, apparently, she looked after her Mother until she passed recently. This leads me to believe she had a routine and disappearing for a couple of days or even a day would have been very uncharacteristic. I wonder what the reason for the delay was and who reported her missing? This was a very large and religious family, some have stated fundamentalists & others say Mennonites. Is there a difference? IDK does this factor into her disappearance? IDK.

I find that fact very interesting, she wasn't reported missing for two days. Esther led a low-risk lifestyle, apparently, she looked after her Mother until she passed recently. This leads me to believe she had a routine and disappearing for a couple of days or even a day would have been very uncharacteristic. I wonder what the reason for the delay was and who reported her missing? This was a very large and religious family, some have stated fundamentalists & others say Mennonites. Is there a difference? IDK does this factor into her disappearance? IDK.

So many questions.

Did she live alone? Who saw her last? Was she heading home or was she heading out somewhere?
Esther was last seen on Saturday of the long weekend. I presume she would normally go to church on Sunday and her absence was noticed. Perhaps other members of the congregation presumed she was sick or traveling? On Labour Day Monday she was reported missing.

Her car wasn't located until 2 days after that though. Was it on Bowlby Drive the whole time she was missing or was it parked there several days later? Why didn't anyone notice it until Wednesday? Or perhaps the vehicle was only deemed suspicious once news came out about Esther being missing.

Regarding her religion, "fundamentalist" can refer to any religion. It simply means that the person takes a literal translation of scripture. I doubt she is Mormon since she went on a Baptist mission arranged by a Baptist church based in Greenville South Carolina.

So many questions.

Did she live alone? Who saw her last? Was she heading home or was she heading out somewhere?
Esther was last seen on Saturday of the long weekend. I presume she would normally go to church on Sunday and her absence was noticed. Perhaps other members of the congregation presumed she was sick or traveling? On Labour Day Monday she was reported missing.

Her car wasn't located until 2 days after that though. Was it on Bowlby Drive the whole time she was missing or was it parked there several days later? Why didn't anyone notice it until Wednesday? Or perhaps the vehicle was only deemed suspicious once news came out about Esther being missing.

Regarding her religion, "fundamentalist" can refer to any religion. It simply means that the person takes a literal translation of scripture. I doubt she is Mormon since she went on a Baptist mission arranged by a Baptist church based in Greenville South Carolina.

Definitely not Mormon. I believe the poster was asking about Mennonites, not Mormons. Doubt that as well. Baptist is Baptist. Her missionary organization is evangelical.

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of questions. Although their religion lacks of a better description, a tight & older religious group has been described to me. But, in talking to another friend, at least some family members have cell phones & FB as well, and people are searching family names from the obituary because the whole community wants Esther found ( & not just to be nosey).

I have searched but I cannot find the backup to support the police saying the public is not at risk. So take this as a rumor, & I will keep looking. I believe it was 2 or 3 days ago.

As far as the road her car was found, it is not a road frequently traveled. There is a self-car wash that it was hoped they have cameras, but not much else on that road. The road backs onto a small river, CFB Greenwood (over a fence), woods, gravel/mounds of maybe different soil or gravel (yikes). You can google the salight area or if you want help, I could post the location.

<modsnip>

I hope / trust this case will be solved. This is a small community and someone knows something, which I believe will come out.

Last edited by a moderator:

The woman's sister, Margery Parker, said family reported Jones missing on Labour Day after she failed to show up for church the day before, which was unlike her.

RCMP said they opened a missing person's investigation on Sept. 2, and "through the course of the investigation, officers have deemed [Jones's] disappearance suspicious."

Police declined to provide more details about their investigation to CBC News, but Parker said in an interview she fears her sister was abducted.

Parker said there had been some upheaval in her sister's life because she'd been the primary caregiver for their mother, who died in August. But Parker said Jones gave no indication anything was wrong.

"She called or texted her beauty salon to book an appointment to have her hair done," Parker said in a brief phone interview. "So it's not as though she was planning her own demise or anything like that. Life was going on as normal."

And
"There was a lot of concern of the public wanting to do ground search and MCU [major crime unit] asked us to hold them off because they thought ... they could hamper the investigation by trampling leads and scent, DNA or whatever in places of interest," she said.

Although police have said Jones was last seen in Kingston, Parker said her sister made a stop on Aug. 31 at the fitness club at 14 Wing Greenwood."

'Authorities are looking for anyone who may have seen Esther or her vehicle since she went missing.
1726161685944.png
If you have information, contact Annapolis District RCMP at 902-825-2000. You can also reach out to Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers to remain anonymous by calling 1-800-222-TIPS, submitting a tip online at crimestoppers.ns.ca, or using the P3 Tips app.'

RSBM Interested to know what that stop entailed.
As a Canadian Vet, I can say that most rural communities do not have gyms/pools, tennis courts etc. Often, our bases offer memberships to civilians living in the local area to be able to use our base recreational facilities after hours.

Perhaps she had a membership.

RSBM Interested to know what that stop entailed.
As a Canadian Vet, I can say that most rural communities do not have gyms/pools, tennis courts etc. Often, our bases offer memberships to civilians living in the local area to be able to use our base recreational facilities after hours.

They also often run evening fitness classes (aerobics, swimming lessons, climbing wall, zumba etc) that locals can also pay to participate in if room in the class.

Perhaps she had a membership.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back