CANADA Canada - Victoria, BC, male, 15-55, human skull found in Gorge Waterway, Feb'21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Posted: May 11, 2021
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-skeletal-remains-victoria-1.6023075

''Victoria police say investigators were called to the Gorge Waterway after recreational divers found the partial remains of a human skull bone in early February.

Police say in a release that forensic testing by the coroners service suggests the remains are historical in nature, not ancient or archeological.

The police statement does not state the differences between those types of remains but says the Saanich Police Department dive team, Victoria Police forensic investigators and the coroners service are working jointly to identify them.

Victoria police say they were discovered in waters near the Tillicum Bridge and more information will be released when it's available.''

What exactly does this quote from the article in first post mean??
“remains are historical in nature, not ancient or archeological”

♀️

If it was originally mistaken as archeological I don't know if it's recent enough to be Emma. There are many missing people on the island, it could be any of them. Here's an article listing just a few of them.

Gorge skull fragment could bring closure to one Greater Victoria missing person case – Saanich News
From your link:
These are only a handful of Greater Victoria’s missing person cases”…
  • Carmen Robinson, 17 last seen on Dec. 8, 1973.
  • Michael Dunahee, 4, last seen on March 24, 1991- one of the largest missing child investigations in Canada.
  • Jesokah Adkens, 17 last seen on Sept. 26, 2001
  • Belinda Cameron, 42, last seen on May 11, 2005
  • Emma Fillipoff, 26, last seen Nov. 28, 2012.
  • Duncan’s Granger Taylor since Nov. 29, 1980.
  • Mo Gulmond Shah, 34, since Aug. 13, 1992.
  • Lisa Marie Young, 21, disappeared June 30, 2002
  • Lindsey Nicholls, 14, last seen B.C. Day long weekend 1993
So many missing people all over this world. We used to vacation near Victoria all the time- from my honeymoon to my son’s competitive regattas. Botanical Gardens, Empress Hotel, the now tragically gone historic Bengal Lounge… I never once thought about crime or missing people there. Makes me wish I’d paid more attention. You never know when you might see something that might help.

Could Victoria skull fragment bring closure to an Island missing persons mystery? - Port Alberni Valley News
25152848_web1_210512-VNE-HistoricalCasesSkull-MissingPerson_1-1024x683.jpg

These are just a handful of Vancouver Island’s missing person cases. Clockwise from top left: Lisa Marie Young, Lindsey Nicholls, Micheal Dunahee, Jesokah Adkens, Belinda Cameron and Emma Fillipoff. (File photos courtesy of family members and police departments)

''Outside of Greater Victoria, there are even more historic missing person cases. To name a few, Duncan’s Granger Taylor left a note for family and friends on Nov. 29, 1980, telling them he was boarding a spaceship but no one has seen or heard from him since.

Mo Gulmond Shah went missing on Aug. 13, 1992. The then 34-year-old went on a bike ride from Lake Cowichan towards Skutz Falls on the Cowichan River and was never seen again. Lisa Marie Young was 21 when she disappeared in Nanaimo on June 30, 2002, and Lindsey Nicholls was 14 when she was last seen on Royston Road after leaving Comox on the B.C. Day long weekend in 1993.''

''The B.C. Coroners Service has been running forensic tests on the skull fragment recovered from the Gorge and is working with Saanich and Victoria police to try to identify the person.

VicPD promised more information would be released when the department is able to share more''.

I can't find the full video but I saw a news conference where VicPD said it's not (or "unlikely") to be Michael Dunahee or Emma Fillipoff, instead they think it's an adult male. There's a bit of the video in the link below.

“Our initial investigation suggests this is unlikely to be Michael Dunahee. It’s unlikely to be Emma Fillipoff, ” Osoko said. “It’s likely to be someone between the age of 15 and 55, who disappeared sometime in the last number of years.”

Emma’s mother, Shelley Fillipoff, still hopes to find answers about her daughter, that one day she’ll find her.

“Many people feel that finding an answer, any answer is preferable to not knowing. I want the right answer. Don’t want the wrong answer. I never want the wrong answer,” said Fillipoff.

Police confirm the remains are likely a male who died within the past few decades.

The B.C. Coroners Service is running forensic tests on the skull fragment and is working with Saanich and Victoria police departments to try to match the remains with a name.

Human remains found in waterway likely don't belong to Michael Dunahee or Emma Fillipoff, police say (cheknews.ca)

Bumping. Found this article while looking for updates:

DNA technology identifies human remains found in B.C. decades ago

"Nearly 40 years later, the remains were exhumed in September 2020 and DNA was recovered to compare with samples from suspected family members.

"After a lengthy scientific process performed at a British Columbia laboratory, complicated by the degradation of the remains, a DNA profile of the deceased was finally obtained," said BC RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Jesse O’Donaghey in a release Thursday."

Hopefully in the OP case they're working on a more in-depth analysis of the remains.

Sorry to double post but found another article, could this be connected to the skull?

Nanaimo RCMP investigating locations where missing person may have met with foul play - Nanaimo News Bulletin

"Nanaimo RCMP are not saying what the searches are for other than they’re connected to a case of a “historical missing person” who was believed to have met with foul play."
Nice find, interesting possibility too! imo. rbbm.
From link..
“It will be ongoing for two or three days,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman. “There’s going to be a search of Diver Lake and area and there’s going to be a search of a unit in an apartment building on Rosehill near Vancouver.”

Nanaimo RCMP are not saying what the searches are for other than they’re connected to a case of a “historical missing person” who was believed to have met with foul play.

“It’s not related to Lisa Marie [Young],” O’Brien said. “We can’t say any more on that at all, who the person may be, when it happened, and it’s a very dynamic, fluid investigation and, for investigative reasons, we will not be providing any further information.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back