GUILTY CANADA - Jake Sansom 39, and Maurice Cardinal 57, murdered, Glendon, AB - 28 March 2020 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in deaths of Alberta hunters

A 31-year-old man has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of two men in northern Alberta over the weekend, police said Thursday.

Anthony Michael Bilodeau turned himself in at the Bonnyville RCMP detachment Wednesday where he was arrested and charged in connection with the deaths of Jake Sansom and his uncle Maurice Cardinal.

jake-sansom-maurice-cardinal.jpg

[Jake Sansom (left) and Maurice Cardinal were hunting near Siebert Lake when they were shot to death. They took this photo on the day they were killed. (Submitted by Mike Sansom)]

[...]

Sansom had been hoping to get some food to help feed his family after being laid off from his job as a heavy-duty mechanic at Suncor due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sansom, 39, was married with three children. Cardinal, 57, had three stepchildren and five grandchildren.

[...]

Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in deaths of Alberta hunters

A 31-year-old man has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of two men in northern Alberta over the weekend, police said Thursday.

Anthony Michael Bilodeau turned himself in at the Bonnyville RCMP detachment Wednesday where he was arrested and charged in connection with the deaths of Jake Sansom and his uncle Maurice Cardinal.

jake-sansom-maurice-cardinal.jpg

[Jake Sansom (left) and Maurice Cardinal were hunting near Siebert Lake when they were shot to death. They took this photo on the day they were killed. (Submitted by Mike Sansom)]

[...]

Sansom had been hoping to get some food to help feed his family after being laid off from his job as a heavy-duty mechanic at Suncor due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sansom, 39, was married with three children. Cardinal, 57, had three stepchildren and five grandchildren.

[...]

Thank you for starting this thread Sillybilly. I guess it’s some consolidation the perpetrator turned himself in and these totally senseless murders didn’t become a longterm unsolved investigation, but.....why?

“Jake Sansom, 39, and Morris Cardinal, 57, were discovered on the road near a black pickup truck early Saturday morning near Township Road 622 and Range Road 84 north of Glendon with gunshot wounds. The pair spent Friday fishing and hunting for moose near Seibert Lake, after Sansom was laid off from his job as a heavy duty mechanic in Nobleford amid the global pandemic. Both men have Métis ancestry and hunting rights.

Mike Sansom, Jake Sansom’s brother and Cardinal’s nephew, said the two were the kinds of men who would give you the shirt off their backs. When he heard they were killed, he was devastated.

“I felt like my heart has been ripped through my stomach and I haven’t been able to eat for three days,” he said through tears Monday. “They helped everybody. Nobody had a problem with them … They got murdered for no reason. There’s nothing. There’s no reason for it.”..”
2 men killed on rural road were hunting for food after COVID-19 layoff | Edmonton Journal

Senseless, absolutely tragic -

From this article I get the impression others in the 2nd vehicle did the right thing and forced the perpetrator to turn himself in. JMO

Man accused of killing two Métis hunters denied bail | Edmonton Journal
Man charged in Métis hunter killings denied bail, RCMP say shootings followed fight
......“Jake Sansom, 39, and Morris Cardinal, 57, were found shot to death Saturday morning on the road north of Glendon, about 225 kilometres northeast of Edmonton. Police say they didn’t know their attacker.

“We don’t know what the dispute was over at this time. We’re still looking into investigative theories,” Staff Sgt. Jason Zazulak said Thursday. “Our belief, from the investigators, is the initial conflict was between Jacob, Morris and the occupants of the second vehicle that arrived on scene … We don’t know what the exact nature of the altercation or conflict was.”

Mounties on Thursday afternoon said investigators believe two vehicles stopped on the road around 9:30 p.m. last Friday, and the occupants got into a verbal, then physical, fight. The driver of a third vehicle then stopped before a man from that vehicle fired a weapon several times, killing Sansom and Cardinal....”

Last edited:
Who the hell shoots to kill when it was just a physical altercation? Such a senseless and tragic loss of life. That pic in post #1 was taken that very day. They look so happy and very close to one another.

May justice prevail.

Rest in Peace, Jacob and Morris.

upload_2020-4-2_18-8-26.png

Who the hell shoots to kill when it was just a physical altercation? Such a senseless and tragic loss of life. That pic in post #1 was taken that very day. They look so happy and very close to one another.

May justice prevail.

Rest in Peace, Jacob and Morris.

View attachment 241516

Absolutely tragic. This photo of Jake as a volunteer firefighter just pulls at my heartstrings when I think of all the lives he’d have been involved in saving.

upload_2020-4-2_19-36-47.jpeg

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2020/...ighter-one-of-two-killed-in-northern-alberta/

Families breathe sigh of relief
“Sansom was married with three children. Cardinal is survived by his partner, daughter and numerous grandchildren.

“Justice is being served. My loved ones will have been vindicated from all this. I am still devastated as they have taken them from us,” Ruby Smith, Sansom’s mother and Cardinal’s sister, wrote in a statement.”
Man accused of killing two Métis hunters denied bail | Edmonton Journal

Vindicated... The comment serves as a stark reminder how often members of grieving families become suspects, maybe not by police but to the general public based on nothing more than false and hurtful gossip. In addition to dealing with the sudden and tragic loss of a loved one, that blame is sometimes cast directly toward the innocent family must be a horrible double burden to have to bear.

AMB was supposed to appear in court again today, May 21, but I can't find any update. Anybody out there have current info? Was it canceled or did it simply not get covered by media?

This is only a small snippet of the entire interview worthy of reading in full although it’s absolutely heartbreaking, yet I really do admire her inner strength. Her words suggest she will not allow the senseless murders to defeat her and at some point will continue to carry forward the goodness of her deceased husband. I expect she indeed will, when she’s ready.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...husband-uncle-slain-on-hunting-trip-1.5592275
“Anthony Bilodeau, a 31-year-old from Glendon, faces two counts of second-degree murder. A date for his jury trial has not been set.

Sansom said the first she had heard of Bilodeau was when RCMP announced the charges against him.

She doesn't know whether racism was at play. She can't imagine her husband or Cardinal would have trespassed, given their familiarity with property owners in the area.

She said police have told her little, but assured her that the victims did nothing wrong.

Sansom said her kids have slept in her bedroom every night since they lost their dad.

"They just don't feel safe in their home anymore."

Sansom said she didn't have it in her to attend a traditional ceremony this weekend on the spot where the two men were killed.

"I'm just not ready to see where he took his last breath."

When Sansom is feeling less overwhelmed, she said she wants to start a foundation in her husband's name to teach kids jiu-jitsu and keep them out of trouble.

"I think that would make him proud.".....”

I wondered about the potential connection with the 3rd vehicle. It’s great to see additional progress made in the investigation. Early reports indicated the first suspect turned himself in to Bonnyville RCMP detachment, then was subsequently charged with 2nd degree murder, but this 2nd person was just now arrested.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/second-murder-charge-alberta-hunters-1.5611277
“A second man has been charged with murder in the alleged killing of two men in northern Alberta.

Roger Bilodeau, 56, was arrested and charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Jacob Sansom and his uncle Maurice Cardinal, RCMP said in a news release Saturday.......

......Police say two vehicles came to a stop on a rural road near Glendon, roughly 200 kilometres northeast of Edmonton at 9:30 p.m. on March 27. An argument between the occupants of the two vehicles turned into a physical confrontation before a third vehicle pulled up to the scene. That's when police say several gunshots were fired, killing Sansom and Cardinal.”

Last edited:
I assumed that somebody (Roger Bilodeau?) in the second vehicle made a call or texted Anthony Bilodeau, after which point, he drove to the spot and then Sansom and Cardinal were shot. According to Global, "Police could only confirm that Roger and Anthony are related but would not say how."

I assumed that somebody (Roger Bilodeau?) in the second vehicle made a call or texted Anthony Bilodeau, after which point, he drove to the spot and then Sansom and Cardinal were shot. According to Global, "Police could only confirm that Roger and Anthony are related but would not say how."

I’ll admit I was sort of surprised at this latest news. I imagined the drivers of the 2nd and 3rd vehicles to be two local vicious bullies of a similar age group. One is 31, the other 56, related in some way and the later didn’t have the guts to do the right thing and voluntarily come forward when the younger one turned himself in.

Just my totally wild speculation, the other way around - the younger is negotiating a plea deal by implicating the elder who was armed with a gun when he arrived on the scene in the 3rd vehicle. Was he called or was he just following behind if the two were heading out separately somewhere, don’t know. Regardless it was a totally senseless murder, an absolute tragedy.

Last edited:
I’ll admit I was sort of surprised at this latest news. I imagined the drivers of the 2nd and 3rd vehicles to be two local vicious bullies of a similar age group. One is 31, the other 56, related in some way and the later didn’t have the guts to do the right thing and voluntarily come forward when the younger one turned himself in.

Just my totally wild speculation, the other way around - the younger is negotiating a plea deal by implicating the elder who was armed with a gun when he arrived on the scene in the 3rd vehicle. Was he called or was he just following behind if the two were heading out separately somewhere, don’t know. Regardless it was a totally senseless murder, an absolute tragedy.

My speculation: RB got into it with JS and MC, for whatever reason. RB called his relative, AB, for backup. As the news noted, the 3rd vehicle (AB) arrived after the initial fight. AB then shot JS and MC.

Do we know if there were any passengers in RB/AB vehicles?

My speculation: RB got into it with JS and MC, for whatever reason. RB called his relative, AB, for backup. As the news noted, the 3rd vehicle (AB) arrived after the initial fight. AB then shot JS and MC.

Do we know if there were any passengers in RB/AB vehicles?

Nothing has been said about passengers that I’ve noticed. Each of the two men have been charged with 2nd degree murder and LE has issued their usual blurb about no further information as the case is before the courts. Unless it can be proven the two victims were shot by both suspects I think we’ll see charges reduced for one in exchange for incriminating testimony at some point. The autopsy will reveal if the bullets originated from one gun or two.

The worst case scenario is they blame each other and only was gun was involved. There’s a name for that type of defense which I can’t recall but the strategy behind it is neither are convicted if it can’t be proven beyond reasonable doubt which of the two fired the weapon.

But then there’s still the hope both of the accused will tell the truth and charges will be applied accordingly so the victims’ loved ones do not have to endure the pain of sitting through a trial.

Both Roger and Michael Anthony Bilodeau were expected in court on Aug 13th. Was it postponed?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine
Back