GUILTY Canada - Jasmine Lovett, mid 20s, and daughter, 2, Calgary, 16 April 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thinking he tried to drive in that westernly direction using the route past Fullerton and Elbow Falls, and after discovering the road was closed past Elbow Falls, he traveled the main road. Just a hunch. Glad they have been found and he has been arrested again.

I think so. I think he was really thrown off his plan with all the seasonal road closures - he probably did not expect that. It would have been a long day for him driving around looking for a place to hide bodies in the Rocky Mountains.

Bodies believed to be Calgary woman and daughter found in Kananaskis Country; police say charges pending

Calgary police continue to investigate after finding the bodies believed to be Jasmine Lovett and and her 22-month-old daughter, Aliyah Sanderson, in the woods off Hwy 40 in Kananaskis Country on Monday, May 6, 2019. The area is located between the Centex gas station and Grizzly Creek day use area.

Calgary police Staff Sgt. Schiavetta said police received more than 250 tips in the case. He said Lovett and Leeming were romantically involved and that the deaths are related to their “deteriorating relationship.”

He said police suspect Lovett and Sanderson were murdered either the evening of April 16 or the early morning hours of April 17. Police believe their bodies were moved to the Kananaskis area between April 17-20.

Second degree murder charges?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-mother-daughter-bodies-found-1.5124889
“Two bodies believed to be those of a mother and her toddler who went missing on April 16 have been found west of Calgary in Kananaskis, and police say second-degree murder charges are pending against a suspect.....

.....Police say a suspect has been taken into custody and second-degree murder charges should be laid by Monday evening. They said the suspect will not be identified until he is charged, but that he is the same person taken into custody two weeks ago. ......

......The Lovett family released a statement Monday afternoon thanking police and others involved in the search.

"We would also like to thank the public for their continued support which has meant a great deal to us. Our lives have been devastated and our hearts are heavy. We are trying to understand how this tragedy could have happened to our loved ones," the statement said....

....Staff Sgt. Martin Schiavetta said the suspect and Lovett were in a "domestic relationship which deteriorated over a period of time."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-mother-daughter-bodies-found-1.5124889
“Two bodies believed to be those of a mother and her toddler who went missing on April 16 have been found west of Calgary in Kananaskis, and police say second-degree murder charges are pending against a suspect.....

.....Police say a suspect has been taken into custody and second-degree murder charges should be laid by Monday evening. They said the suspect will not be identified until he is charged, but that he is the same person taken into custody two weeks ago. ......

......The Lovett family released a statement Monday afternoon thanking police and others involved in the search.

"We would also like to thank the public for their continued support which has meant a great deal to us. Our lives have been devastated and our hearts are heavy. We are trying to understand how this tragedy could have happened to our loved ones," the statement said....

....Staff Sgt. Martin Schiavetta said the suspect and Lovett were in a "domestic relationship which deteriorated over a period of time."
Second degree, if the same in Canada as the US, implies no premeditation. Quite possible they had an argument due to their "deteriorating relationship" and he struck and killed her...maybe not meaning to kill her, but out of anger. Or he killed her in a moment of rage. Still no planning involved, or one that can be proven. JMO

"Calgary police Staff Sgt. Schiavetta said police received more than 250 tips in the case. He said Lovett and Leeming were romantically involved and that the deaths are related to their “deteriorating relationship.”

He said police suspect Lovett and Sanderson were murdered either the evening of April 16 or the early morning hours of April 17. Police believe their bodies were moved to the Kananaskis area between April 17-20."​

Bodies believed to be Calgary woman and daughter found in Kananaskis Country; police say charges pending

Bodies were found 100 meters off the highway.

“Second degree murder is defined as all other murder other than first degree murder. So, if you do not plan and you do not deliberate about it but you still intend to kill someone, that is second degree murder. The sentencing ranges from life in jail with no parole for 10 years to 25 years until you are eligible for parole. If there are mitigating factors the jury can recommend the minimum.”
The Distinction Between First And Second Degree Murder And Manslaughter | Lawyershop

Second degree, if the same in Canada as the US, implies no premeditation. Quite possible they had an argument due to their "deteriorating relationship" and he struck and killed her...maybe not meaning to kill her, but out of anger. Or he killed her in a moment of rage. Still no planning involved, or one that can be proven. JMO

That doesn't explain why the baby is also dead. I don't know how that could be second degree.

I can understand why a second degree charge might be applicable to murder of Jasmine but her daughter, Allyah was only 22 months old.

That doesn't explain why the baby is also dead. I don't know how that could be second degree.
You are right about that. Good point. Perhaps they have evidence that the baby fell or was hit, etc..and Jasmine reacted and he killed her too. Still could show no prior planning. Depends on cause of death I'd say, so not sure what leads LE to look for 2nd degree murder charges. IMO, if she was in an abusive relationship, that's enough for premeditation.

I can understand why a second degree charge might be applicable to murder of Jasmine but her daughter, Allyah was only 22 months old.
It seems to me that he killed them one day and then disposed of them later, on another day. Almost like he had no plan. Someone who premeditates murder would plan out the disposal as well and not wait a couple days..IMO.

They have a reason for charging with 2nd degree, so I can only speculate why. Accidently killed Allyah then killed Jasmine when she reacted to that? If he killed Jasmine first and then killed the baby, that's a different kettle of fish. IMO

If they can prove that one or both of them was taken alive, as in illegal confinement, or if sexual assault was involved, it could be upgraded to first-degree murder...or if this was planned and deliberate, which is where the online history comes in, and any relevant purchase made in advance of the last time Jasmine and Aliyah were seen.

There will be months of further investigation, so charges can be upgraded if further evidence becomes available. Threats that were witnessed can also build a case for premeditation.

If they can prove that one or both of them was taken alive, as in illegal confinement, or if sexual assault was involved, it could be upgraded to first-degree murder...or if this was planned and deliberate, which is where the online history comes in, and any relevant purchase made in advance of the last time Jasmine and Aliyah were seen.
What is the difference in penalty between 1st and 2nd degree murder in Canada?

It seems to me that he killed them one day and then disposed of them later, on another day. Almost like he had no plan. Someone who premeditates murder would plan out the disposal as well and not wait a couple days..IMO.

They have a reason for charging with 2nd degree, so I can only speculate why. Accidently killed Allyah then killed Jasmine when she reacted to that? If he killed Jasmine first and then killed the baby, that's a different kettle of fish. IMO

I'm guessing that he drove around Kananaskis on April 17 looking for a place to hide bodies, on April 18 he may have been in Bragg Creek area burning evidence. He would have been driving for hours with two decomposing bodies in his vehicle. Later on April 18 he went on a date with his new girlfriend.

Second degree murder charges for domestic violence in relation to Jasmine's murder makes sense. I would be surprised if it is not first degree for the murder of Aliyah.

Bodies believed to be missing mom and toddler found in Kananaskis Country; charges pending

“All I can tell you is he spent a lot of time in the garage. He didn’t seem to go to a job,” said the man, who declined to be named.

The neighbour added he would frequently see Leeming, his ex-wife and their son before the couple split up but had only seen Lovett and Sanderson once before, about a week before they disappeared.

The man also said he saw police attend the Leeming residence in 2018, around the same time Leeming pleaded guilty to three animal cruelty charges.

We don't have the death penalty in Canada. This is Alberta Canada and he will likely face life without the chance of parole for 30-50 years. My hope is that they place him in Bowden Prison general population. You can be sure that everyone in there will know who he is and make the rest of his life HELL.

Bowden is medium security. He will not go there first....maybe Edmonton max or Drumheller. But, definitely not Bowden. Second degree murder under the new legislation is 10 to 25 before being eligible for parole....doesn’t mean they will get it though.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back