GUILTY Canada - Jasmine Lovett, mid 20s, and daughter, 2, Calgary, 16 April 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just joining this thread. I saw an article on People and searched for "Jasmine," and bingo, I found the thread.

Well, of course. We've seen this so darn many times. We were hoping, but we view these missing children, missing women, and/or missing women and children with jaundiced eyes because we know the odds of a safe return.
Just dammit.
------------------------
Posting the People article -- please forgive if it's a repeat.

Missing Mom and Toddler Daughter Are Found Dead, and Suspect Allegedly ‘Targeted’ Them

“Our lives have been devastated and our hearts are heavy," the family said in a statement

By
Christine Pelisek

May 07, 2019 01:24 PM

The bodies of a Canadian mother and her 22-month-old daughter were found Monday in a wooded area
three weeks after they disappeared from their home.
On Tuesday, police charged 34-year-old Robert Leeming with two counts of second-degree murder.

At a press conference Monday, Calgary police Staff Sgt. Martin Schiavetta said the killing was a “targeted attack motivated by domestic-related matters,” adding, “It was a domestic relationship that deteriorated over time.”

Missing Mom and Toddler Daughter Are Found Dead, and Suspect Allegedly ‘Targeted’ Them

Second degree, if the same in Canada as the US, implies no premeditation. Quite possible they had an argument due to their "deteriorating relationship" and he struck and killed her...maybe not meaning to kill her, but out of anger. Or he killed her in a moment of rage. Still no planning involved, or one that can be proven. JMO
Nope, not believing 2nd degree for the second murder. Yeah, maybe the first death -- mother or daughter -- was done in a flight of hot anger, but now, what to do with the living one? You have time to cool down, to think, to premeditate. In US jurisprudence, the 2nd murder would be first degree. Maybe his blood was running "hot" when he killed the 1st victim, but his blood was cold while thinking about planning and executing the second, IMO.
"What am I gonna do? __(1st victim)__ is dead; I killed her. What am I gonna do with __(2nd victim)__ ?" So he plots and plans.
Apparently it's tuff to get a 1st deg. murder charge in Canada -- so let's hope he gets the max no. of parole denies for as many years as possible times 2.
------------------------------------​
I found this about 1st and 2nd degree murder in Canada:
The Distinction Between First And Second Degree Murder And Manslaughter

First degree murder is murder which is planned and deliberate.

Sentencing for first degree murder is very simple. We do not have capital punishment in Canada so a person who is convicted of first degree murder is sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years. The calculation for those 25 years begins when the person has been arrested and placed in custody, not when they are convicted and found guilty. There is no discretion on the part of the judge; that is the minimum sentence and it is automatic.
[...]

Second degree murder is defined as all other murder other than first degree murder. So, if you do not plan and you do not deliberate about it but you still intend to kill someone, that is second degree murder. The sentencing ranges from life in jail with no parole for 10 years to 25 years until you are eligible for parole. If there are mitigating factors the jury can recommend the minimum.
The Distinction Between First And Second Degree Murder And Manslaughter | Lawyershop

Last edited:
Nope, not believing 2nd degree for the second murder. Yeah, maybe the first death -- mother or daughter -- was done in a flight of hot anger, but now, what to do with the living one? You have time to cool down, to think, to premeditate. In US jurisprudence, the 2nd murder would be first degree. Maybe his blood was running "hot" when he killed the 1st victim, but his blood was cold while thinking about planning and executing the second, IMO.
"What am I gonna do? __(1st victim)__ is dead; I killed her. What am I gonna do with __(2nd victim)__ ?" So he plots and plans.
------------------------------------​
I found this about 1st and 2nd degree murder in Canada:

The Distinction Between First And Second Degree Murder And Manslaughter | Lawyershop

I agree the standard for 1st degree murder seems to be different in the US than it is in Canada. But then so is our Cdn prison system which is based on rehabilitation as opposed to punishment. It was only in 2011 that the Cdn Govt amended the Cdn Criminal Code to allow for consecutive sentencing if an accused was convicted of more than one homicide. Prior to that it was max 25 years, albeit considered life, because sentences for multiple convictions were served concurrently.

The community grocery store is donating proceeds of cupcake sales to the fundraiser. They're decorated in purple, white and pink. This community is full of families with children. For children old enough to know what's happened, things like this can help.

Twitter

The memorial is growing.

Twitter

Last edited:
It looks like the gas station would have been open until 6 p.m until the Victoria Day weekend. Do gas station cameras shut off after hours?

It looks like the gas station would have been open until 6 p.m until the Victoria Day weekend. Do gas station cameras shut off after hours?
I doubt they do. In case of theft, etc after hours. Camera surveillance would be a plus.

Here is a map of the location of this particular station, but when I click on details, the link goes to an different station farther north.

Locations - Centex Petroleum

The community grocery store is donating proceeds of cupcake sales to the fundraiser. They're decorated in purple, white and pink. This community is full of families with children. For children old enough to know what's happened, things like this can help.

Twitter

The memorial is growing.

Twitter

The money is for funeral costs, and the remainder will be donated to the Women's Shelter.

I'm guessing that all of the donated money will end up with the Women's Shelter since victims of crime are eligible for benefits, including the cost of funeral up to $12.5k per person.

Victims of Crime Regulation:

upload_2019-5-7_18-36-10.png

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2004_063.pdf

Help for victims of crime

I doubt they do. In case of theft, etc after hours. Camera surveillance would be a plus.

Here is a map of the location of this particular station, but when I click on details, the link goes to an different station farther north.

Locations - Centex Petroleum
Updated to show map I was trying to link.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 8.44.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 8.44.04 PM.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 6
Updated to show map I was trying to link.
This is from gmaps.

20190507_180412.jpg

The red V is the location of the journalist when talking to the camera, in front of a rough track that appears to be the access to the search area.

The orange P is the Grizzly Creek picnic area, on the same loop as the gas station.

The rough track appears to connect to the picnic area, but there is actually a gate at that end, here's a screenshot from streetview:
20190507_181606.jpg
I think he must have gone there in the daytime to scope it out, then come back at night. Perhaps he deliberately laid a false trail in Bragg Creek, because to get to this location he'd have to get onto Highway 1 and go much farther west, the road between this area and Bragg Creek is still closed.

It's really a miracle police recovered the bodies so quickly, in this vast wilderness.

He has hired a well known criminal defence lawyer and one of the better ones in Calgary. And, Der has worked as a crown prosecutor in the past...knows his stuff!

His client has no money, or so he said, and Der's fees are steep. Someone must have deep pockets. It's easy to guess who's being supportive. Der will work every angle, IMO, including applying for bail if possible, if he can.

His client has no money, or so he said, and Der's fees are steep. Someone must have deep pockets. It's easy to guess who's being supportive. Der will work every angle, IMO, including applying for bail if possible, if he can.
From what I read on the UK article his dad owns a business and likely makes good money. The guy drives a fairly new Mercedes SUV, so I'm sure somebody is helping to feed him.

Otto, do you know where I can find a court schedule online? The only one I found is a PDF that is password protected and I can't crack it, very well encrypted.

I notice how dry it is, no sign of snow near the crime scene.

upload_2019-5-8_7-50-8.jpeg

“Police were on scene in Kananaskis near where the bodies were found on Monday.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-mother-daughter-bodies-found-1.5125902

“Schiavetta said more than 250 tips came in from the public, and anyone who has information regarding the case or who was in the Bragg Creek area between April 17 and 21 should contact police.

The charges against Leeming could be amended to first-degree murder if additional evidence is found, he said.

"This investigation is not over, we will continue to gather evidence in days, weeks and months to come."

Police said officers remained on the scene in Kananaskis on Tuesday, and it was not yet known when the search for additional evidence would be complete.”

Wait. He has no money (apparently), yet he was able to retain Der? He’s one of Calgary’s top criminal defence lawyers and he’s not cheap.
I wonder who’s paying for him.

One immigration lawyer says RL could be deported if found guilty.

Robert Leeming, charged in Calgary double homicide, would face deportation if convicted

"If convicted, Leeming would serve out his sentence in Canada but would be deported immediately upon being granted parole.

"“The policy of the government is that if you’re convicted of a criminal offence, you pay the price first. You have to serve your time,” Greene said.

"“That prevents people from getting deported say, just after they’re convicted and then walking free on the streets and never having to serve a penalty.”"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back