Found Deceased Canada - Johnson Redhead, 6, didn't arrive at class after school breakfast program, Shamattawa, Manitoba, 18 Sep 2024 *Active Search*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Regarding phone service:

In the brochure for prospective teachers to the school, it says

Wi-Fi/cellular service
Wi-Fi is good and provided through Xplornet and Broadband BNC. There is no cellular service in the community.

Untechy me doesn’t really understand it, but I thought I’d add this here, since talk of the phone service being disrupted or down.
ponder.gif
They have landline phone service. That's what was damaged in the fire.

If I understand correctly, Johnson had breakfast and was seen heading out in to the bush. My guess is that he went to go to the bathroom, or head home. He likely got lost in the process in that thick bush. I too and worried about water, very worried. Young boys and water don't mix well.

As negative as some people might take this, if I had a wandering kid I'd be sure to figure out how to GPS them -maybe sew a special little pocket in their closes for an air tag, or even a GPS anklet. Some people might find that overboard, but it sure would help with little ones who are prone to disappearing. It only takes a minute and away they go.

Prayers for this little one.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Has anyone seen any kind of description of what the boy was wearing when he left? What colors searchers should be looking for? Any update on what the school cameras showed? These things are bugging me after reading through this thread.
4 days and not found yet. Such a little thing.
Unfortunately, I've been at WS way too long to not agree with the poster who said "the river". We've just seen this SOooo many times. The fireworks idea, I like for a child missing in wooded areas, but I'm worried with an autistic child it might scare him and drive him deeper into hiding.

Maybe a bullhorn playing a favorite cartoon or song loudly?
Oh please be found safe little guy.
I agree, use a sound or song that might be comforting to him. Here in Australia the theme song from "Thomas the Tank Engine" was played to try and lure out a lost teenager, who was found safe and well, apart from a broken foot.

I agree, use a sound or song that might be comforting to him. Here in Australia the theme song from "Thomas the Tank Engine" was played to try and lure out a lost teenager, who was found safe and well, apart from a broken foot.

I remember in the case of a special needs teen named Nora Quoirin, who disappeared in the jungles of Malaysia—searchers used a loudspeaker with the recorded voice of her mom calling out Nora’s name and saying things like “Mum is here!” (Sadly, she was found deceased. Mysterious case.)

If I understand correctly, Johnson had breakfast and was seen heading out in to the bush. My guess is that he went to go to the bathroom, or head home. He likely got lost in the process in that thick bush. I too and worried about water, very worried. Young boys and water don't mix well.

As negative as some people might take this, if I had a wandering kid I'd be sure to figure out how to GPS them -maybe sew a special little pocket in their closes for an air tag, or even a GPS anklet. Some people might find that overboard, but it sure would help with little ones who are prone to disappearing. It only takes a minute and away they go.

Kids with sensory issues will find a way to remove any kind of tag. They also often remove their regular clothing because of the same sensory issues. Johnson had already taken off his shoes to go into the bushes, something that would seem backwards to a neurotypical person. Also given the fact that there is no cell service and it's so remote, something like an AirTag wouldn't work. You'd need a satellite communication device in an area that remote, and those are large.

bbm.

All good questions to ask, esp. the bolded.

Bbm.

How much older are the siblings ?
Just wondering if any of them talked to him or know which direction he wandered away.

I think from following past cases here of children with autism; they wander away unexpectedly at times and this is called 'elopements' ; iirc ?
Hope little Johnson is found soon.
Six years old is so vulnerable and with his diagnosis, he wouldn't necessarily know to hunker down in a shed or somewhere if it gets cold or rainy ?
Omo.

Yes, elopement is the term most commonly used in the autistic community.

Sadly, many tracking devices rely on cell service, which it sounds like isn't great at this location.

My son is autistic and wears a device called a Jiobit to school. It's in a pouch that is pinned inside his shorts using a pin that can only be taken off with a magnetic 'key.' Thankfully, he isn't the type of child that would take off his shorts but there are some kids who would. We set up 'safe' zones, like his school building. And if he leaves the grounds, we get a notification (it's not instance, but a 2-5 minute delay of being notified is better than waiting who knows how long for school to notice/contact us.)

But, unfortunately, these tracking devices aren't an option for everyone. Not just due to their location/cell service. But due to the price.

If he was absent from his class at 9:00, what is the protocol—I imagine word goes to the front office, and the front office makes either makes calls to the home to inquire, IF the parent hasn’t already made the call their child will be absent. (Many years since my kids were in school, but I thought it worked that way, so, JMO)

But, upthread, it said the phones were down that morning.

Then, Shamattawa is a fly-in community, 2 hours from Winnipeg.
BUT, then the Search & Rescue team got delayed because the plane was down and they had to look for a charter to fly them instead.

Just a series of unfortunate events, it seems, prevented a quicker response. :(

JMO
On Google Maps, Police Station on Main Street in Shamattawa - RCMP detachment - is a couple of streets from school on Trout Creek Road, a few minutes by car, a little more if you walk there. So, again, why wait three hours if Police is so close to school? At the beginning of the search, there was already a possibility that Johnson was outside the perimeter of the school.

On Google Maps, Police Station on Main Street in Shamattawa - RCMP detachment - is a couple of streets from school on Trout Creek Road, a few minutes by car, a little more if you walk there. So, again, why wait three hours if Police is so close to school? At the beginning of the search, there was already a possibility that Johnson was outside the perimeter of the school.
Moo... depends on the relationship with the band and the RCMP. I used to know people from their. A lot of northern bands have problems with RCMP, the animosity goes both ways....moo

he is 6.... do they have "kindergarten," or is this his first year at school? He might really have wanted to just wander off if he has not been in school before
The school goes from preschool to 12th grade. This could be his first or his third year at the school.
According to comments from guardians on the community FB page, they could not stop him from getting on the bus to go to school with the other kids in the house, which makes me think he either liked going to school, or the routine was one of his set routines (very hard to change routines with a child who has autism).

My guess, just my opinion, is that he was not noticed mising until kids got on the bus to go home for lunch at 11:30. I am guessing either the kids who got off the bus with him in the morning, or the bus driver sounded the alarm when he didn't get on the bus at that point. And when he didn't get off the bus at his house for lunch, his guardians went to the school. That was when the RCMP got involved, at 12:30.
What was the protocol for attendance? With the local phones down, did this impact attendance protocol? Did his teacher assume he was out sick? Was he often home sick or did he come every day?

My guess, just my opinion, is that he was not noticed mising until kids got on the bus to go home for lunch at 11:30. I am guessing either the kids who got off the bus with him in the morning, or the bus driver sounded the alarm when he didn't get on the bus at that point. And when he didn't get off the bus at his house for lunch, his guardians went to the school. That was when the RCMP got involved, at 12:30.
What was the protocol for attendance? With the local phones down, did this impact attendance protocol? Did his teacher assume he was out sick? Was he often home sick or did he come every day?
This is exactly what I was thinking and about to post. Most of my post below reiterates what you just said, so, sorry for repeating. But, since I’d already composed it…lol:

In the first post of this thread it says “Police and community member a have been searching since 12pm Sept 18th/2024. It was realized that Johnson left the school between 9am-11am.” The fact that it says between 9:00-11:00 makes it sound like the school wasn’t aware until 11:00 that he was missing.

At this link, which is a brochure made for those looking to teach at the school, it says of the schedule:
Teachers arrive at 8:30am to participate in the breakfast program or to prep for classes, which start at 9:00am.
Lunch period starts at 11:30am and classes resume at 1:00pm and ends at 3:30pm. Teachers assist the students catching the bus at lunchtime and at the end of the day.

(Side note: I don’t understand having buses for kids to leave for lunch, then presumably bringing them back to school again?)

MOO

He had breakfast at school but he was not in class at 9:00 am. So maybe the teacher was the first one to be aware that something was wrong. I guess? In most schools, they are calling parents earlier than 11:00 am if child is not in class. But again, phone was not working that morning.

According to his guardians (they have not been named in media, so not naming them here), from comments in the Community FB:
JR went to school on bus with other kids from household. He lives with guardians at this time due to his disabilities, but is connected with family.
Bus driver reported JR was dropped off at school.
Adult at breakfast reported what JR ate for breakfast, and that he passed them on his way out the door to go to class.
During transition from breakfast to classrooms, another student told a teacher/adult that JR took off his shoes and went into the bushes, and student wanted to go get him, but student was told to go to class. IF this is true, the school has a ton of liability here.
JR was seen on school video leaving campus once video was checked.
Phones were down, so it took time to get the word to authorities and guardians.
When he didn't get off the bus for lunch, guardians knew something was wrong.

Bumping^^^^^^
All asking great questions re: timeline etc....reminded me of the RED TEXT highlighted in quoted post by @georgiajean (If true, THUD!!!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatD
Back