Download Poster
Published: 15-2-2016
File Size: 45.269 KB
File Type: PDF

Related Topics
OPP Rewards
Victim: Julie Diane FORTIER
$50,000 REWARD

The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the September 1980 murder of Julie Diane FORTIER.

Julie FORTIER was 18 years of age and lived with her parents at 11 Lake Street, Elk Lake, Ontario. She disappeared on September 19, 1980, after being last seen in the New Liskeard area.

Human remains, later confirmed as that of the victim’s, were recovered outside of Haileybury in May 1990.

Very good to see this thread ... especially on this anniversary date. Julie's remains where found within 2 km of my home, and even today I feel unsettled to have been so oblivious to the world around me on that day.

An interesting post about Barry Wood made on local board 'talk timmins'

Very good to see this thread ... especially on this anniversary date. Julie's remains where found within 2 km of my home, and even today I feel unsettled to have been so oblivious to the world around me on that day.

An interesting post about Daniel Wood made on local board 'talk timmins'

Although Daniel Wood has been identified as a person of interest in the murder of Julie Fortier, he has never been charged and even though incarcerated, continues to maintain his innocence for crimes he has been charged with and did manage to gain a new trial in 2006.
+ Alberta Court of Appeal

Local community rumours have raised questions around local persons of interest. ... Julie did not get off the bus at her secondary school that Friday morning, even though she carried an armload of books. Her remains were found in an area that would not have been readily know by someone passing through.

An interesting post about Barry Wood made on local board 'talk timmins'
As you must know, there’s renewed interest in the temiskaming area due to Melanie Ethier’s unsolved disappearance..the anniversary just passed.
What I have noticed is that people are confused as to where Julie’s remains were found...And you’re saying, Jaanniss, that it was close to you...would that have been just outside of town..or by the dumps? (Haileybury and New Liskeard dumps were mentioned).

As you must know, there’s renewed interest in the temiskaming area due to Melanie Ethier’s unsolved disappearance..the anniversary just passed.
What I have noticed is that people are confused as to where Julie’s remains were found...And you’re saying, Jaanniss, that it was close to you...would that have been just outside of town..or by the dumps? (Haileybury and New Liskeard dumps were mentioned).
Melanie's thread..
CANADA - Canada - Melanie Ethier, 15, New Liskeard, Ont, 29 Sept 1996

from an earlier post about Julie Fortier .... In 1990 her remains were found along this 1.2 km road in attached photo. The road passes the Haileybury municipal dump.

Last edited:
Thanks Jaanniss..I always wanted that question cleared up.
It doesn’t make sense she didn’t get off her school bus...did she get on? If she lived in Elk Lake, and her remains were found near the Haileybury Dump...that’s not close.
Was it someone local? Wonder if the Haileybury dump was closed that day Julie went missing..and the POI would have known the road would be quiet.

;

Thanks Jaanniss..I always wanted that question cleared up.
It doesn’t make sense she didn’t get off her school bus...did she get on? If she lived in Elk Lake, and her remains were found near the Haileybury Dump...that’s not close.
Was it someone local? Wonder if the Haileybury dump was closed that day Julie went missing..and the POI would have known the road would be quiet.

;

.... "Julie did not get off the bus at her secondary school that Friday morning" This remains an unsolved crime. It is my understanding that Julie left her home in Elk Lake with her school books and boarded the school bus for students living in Elk Lake and attending one of the secondary schools in New Liskeard. She was last seen getting off the bus downtown. This stop would have been on the route between the two high schools. Around 1985 her school books, along with other items identified to belong to her were found. I am not aware that the OPP disclosed where 'near Haileybury' these belongings or her remains were found.

Jaanniss.....just wondering here, the bus stop that Julie would’ve used..where was it exactly in New Liskeard..do you know?
One account I read states Julie didn’t get off the bus at her usual stop...do you know?
Was it anywhere near where Melanie Ethier was last seen? ..(supposedly Armstrong bridge).
I know that Julie’s Murder and Melanies disappearance are over 15 years apart, most likely not connected...but.what IF?
What if the killer is (was) right there sitting in New Liskeard?
What if he lived (lives) on Pine Ave or Armstrong St?
I would have no idea as I don’t know the residents along the route who was there in 1980..1996.
Do you know anything about the person found dead behind the movie theatre in New Liskeard?

The only thing I believe about Melanie’s disappearance is that she safely left the friend’s house. I believe they were polygraphed and cleared....but not too sure who else from that night were polygraphed.
The Podcast Ladies said something that has stuck with me...and that is when someone goes missing..you look into before..what was happening before she went missing.

I wonder...Did she make it to the bridge? I have a hard time believing she did...sketchy witness account or two that she was seen on the bridge.
Shedding Light ladies did several podcasts and managed to talk to a few people around town, a few police officers and a friend or two...even the video store girl. They did an excellent job of renewing interest...and now a “spirit box” (Michael) is guiding all sorts of people to the answer...but...then there’s me...lol...I just can’t do that spirit thing..I’m not in tune..

Anyways..the police, in my opinion, on the podcast, were double talking and they have not released any info at all...except a supposed sighting of Melanie on the bridge.
And “ exhibits” found at McGarry Landfill 4 years later.

I’m not ready to discount a possible connection between Julie and Melanie...the common denominator is New Liskeard.
Jaanniss..do you have any thoughts to add? It really bothers me how the Murder of Julie seems to be lost in the shuffle..
Huge interest in Melanie, thankfully...hopefully this is the year they get answers.
As we have all seen..many killers can lead fairly “normal” family lives...can fool many people for many years...so...right now I don’t trust anyone that lives(d) on Melanie’s route home...

Lots going on in this post… and to answer the question I think you’re asking – No, I do not ‘know’. I encourage you to gather and glean.

“the bus stop that Julie would’ve used” … bank corners … intersection of Whitewood Ave and Armstrong St.
“ Julie didn’t get off the bus at her usual stop” … it appears so, intended stop would have been at her secondary school NLSS on Niven St or ESSM on Hessel Ave.

I am not aware of “person found dead behind the movie theatre in New Liskeard” … I suspect this is incorrect information, possibly arising from the murder of a person who lived in that area

In an earlier post in this thread, a helpful websleuth member shared the link regarding Melanie Ethier and I encourage you to post in that thread. For now I suggest you review the info you have about the search of McGarry landfill … OPP have stated this search and subsequent exhibits relate to tracking the whereabouts of POI Micheal Wayne McGray that September ’96 … review the transition from municipal to provincial LE … OPP response to Melanie’s disappearance.

Thanks...
Lol..yes I did ask a lot...just possibly seeing if there could be a connection.
I guess you don’t feel there could be?

Jaanniss.....through the grapevine (no official article) I found out that Julie’s family believes she was murdered by an older boyfriend, who then took off out west...he was from Toronto.
Julie was apparently pregnant...and..her killer walks free.
How sad is that?
I want her killer to pay.
So..I will not try to connect her murder with Melanie’s disappearance...I just couldn’t let it go until I had a few answers.
May Julie RIP.

Last edited:
Jaanniss.....through the grapevine (no official article) I found out that Julie’s family believes she was murdered by an older boyfriend, who then took off out west...he was from Toronto.
Julie was apparently pregnant...and..her killer walks free.
How sad is that?
I want her killer to pay.
So..I will not try to connect her murder with Melanie’s disappearance...I just couldn’t let it go until I had a few answers.
May Julie RIP.

... the healthier the vine the more plentiful the fruit ... I beleive her family does know who the older boyfriend is and lives with the frustration of being unable to uncover evidence that would identify him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back