CANADA Canada - Kam McLeod, 19, & Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, last seen Sask, mid July 2019 *Armed & Dangerous*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These guys could be anywhere. Trying to hide out in the area will lead to them eventually being caught. I'd be doing my best to make it to Toronto where they could blend in in a large population. I'd be changing my appearance as well. But these guys could easily have hijacked a car by now. If that car had two occupants, they'd never have to go in to a gas station as they could hold one person hostage whilst the other paid.

These guys could be anywhere. Trying to hide out in the area will lead to them eventually being caught. I'd be doing my best to make it to Toronto where they could blend in in a large population. I'd be changing my appearance as well. But these guys could easily have hijacked a car by now. If that car had two occupants, they'd never have to go in to a gas station as they could hold one person hostage whilst the other paid.

Even harder to spot if they split up because people are on the lookout for the two of them together.

You might be interested in watching this, about the 4 minute mark. Although the bodies were apparently found in a similar position, I’m not so sure they could be considered posed.

I wonder how the man near Dease Lake was found. Unfortunately, the RCMP have said his manner of death is not relevant at this time, and no witnesses have come forward.

The person who found Chynna and Lucas was a trucker.

I just noticed Gray mentioned a grayed out area in the gravel. Wondering what was there.
@Gardenista...Gray said to disregard that grayed out area as not being significant. Guess many people that were on his chat had asked about the spot. Not sure how Gray knew that there was nothing impt about that spot but he was clear in his stmt to disregard it. Hope that helps.

@Gardenista...Gray said to disregard that grayed out area as not being significant. Guess many people that were on his chat had asked about the spot. Not sure how Gray knew that there was nothing impt about that spot but he was clear in his stmt to disregard it. Hope that helps.

Yes, I heard that, but he said the gravel was grayed out when he got the photo but the bodies were not grayed out. I'm just curious

I agree, but I think these are likely very unsophisticated guys, having lived all their lives in Port Alberni, an end of the road, resource industry town with zero cool factor. I doubt they've spent much time in a city, they seem much more comfortable staying off the beaten track.
I agree completely in that they are very accustomed to life in isolated Canadian towns. Thus, ordinarily, they would have no trouble lying low in another similar town or area while being wanted for say, credit fraud.

But... these are not ordinary times and their crimes are not ordinary crimes. Rather, they are going to be declared an apprehension priority by the Canadian authorities and the case will be widely publicized. Thus, they are going to stand out in isolated Canada, no matter how accustomed they are to life there.

This would seem to leave two Northern Exposure options:

- Go deep into the bush off grid style. This would take skills and preparation that even long residency in zero cool factor towns would not automatically give them.

- Lay low in zero cool factor area while being sheltered by relatives. The severity of the crimes would probably limit any sympathies and I don’t know if parts of Canada have a residual clannish “ never turn away 'kin" type tradition like say the U.S. Ozarks. Sheriffs there have complained on occasion about murder suspects being sheltered by a series of relatives.

Last edited:
I wonder how the man near Dease Lake was found. Unfortunately, the RCMP have said his manner of death is not relevant at this time, and no witnesses have come forward.

The person who found Chynna and Lucas was a trucker.

I could be wrong but I got the impression police discovered the body while investigating the burning truck.

“On Friday, RCMP discovered the burning truck, fitted with a sleeping camper, near Dease Lake, B.C. They found the body the same day, about two kilometres away in a highway pullout.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-drivers-bc-truck-1.5219845

Could someone please tell me if Lucas and Chynna's shoes were found at the scene? He wasn't wearing any, and she had one, according to reports. We know that Lucas drove shoeless. Did the suspects take their shoes from the scene? I think that if some sort of ritual was involved, the shoes might also be missing. Furthermore, what was the shoe status at Dease Lake with the unidentified victim?

Just thinking of all those missing people from Vancouver Island and shoes washing up on beaches. Not saying this duo is responsible for all that.

Exellent thought! Wonder if the fantasy world grew out of one of the video games that the 2 played? Does anyone on here have any familiarity with the game these 2 allegedly played and then reenacted in the woods? Wonder if there are any parallels to what we have seen play out so far in this tragedy?

@otto has done some great maps on the path of these 2 perps but little that we have seen in what appears to have been the early days of the 'spree' seemed to be linear IMO. We saw the perps going in multiple directions without much surface logic. But maybe the logic of their path might make sense in some fantasy world/video game sense that would be obvious to someone that knew the game. As outsiders not familar with the game/fantasy world there would seem to be a random and certainly non linear path to the events so far.

Curious what others think as the path of destruction here seems almost random IMO.

MOO

If you're asking about Fallout New Vegas (which is the game the Lanius character comes from), yeah I'm familiar with it. I actually love that game haha although I haven't played it in many years.

I haven't seen anything specifically suggesting they were "reenacting" a game in their airsoft games, and I don't think Fallout is a game that really lends itself to reenactment with airsoft guns as such. The game does involve a lot of guns and is violent, but it's an RPG, it's not like Call of Duty or something where it's just continuous shooting. Also Fallout New Vegas is NOT a game you play online, it's a single player game (not that it matters, but maybe worth noting).

I'm inclined to think the game and the airsoft thing are separate, although their interest in the two could be related to an extent.

From a plot standpoint I don't see any parallels except for the general theme of traveling around a desolate region (which in the game is not done by vehicle), but like I said it was quite a while ago that I played it. I barely remember the Lanius character; I thought of that as an odd thing for BS to hang onto because by my recollection Lanius is not even a major part of the game.

Honestly I'm not sure how they even got into Fallout New Vegas, it came out in 2010 when they were little kids, and even if they were allowed to play it I think the game is far too complicated for most kids of that age to really understand or engage with. [ETA it's possible they played Fallout 4 first, which came out in 2015, and then went back and played the older one? I dunno]

I agree completely in that they are very accustomed to life in isolated Canadian towns. Thus, ordinarily, they would have no trouble lying low in another similar town or area while being wanted for say, credit fraud.

But... these are not ordinary times and their crimes are not ordinary crimes. Rather, they are going to be declared an apprehension priority by the Canadian authorities and the case will be widely publicized. Thus, they are going to stand out in isolated Canada, no matter how accustomed they are to life there. This would seem to leave two Northern Exposure options:

- Go deep into the bush off grid style. This would take skills and preparation that even long residency in zero cool factor towns would not automatically give them.

- Lay low in zero cool factor area while being sheltered by relatives. The severity of the crimes would probably limit any sympathies and I don’t know if parts of Canada have a residual clannish“ ‘kin come first and always” type tradition like say the U.S. Ozarks. Sheriffs there have complained on occasion about murder suspects being sheltered by a series of relatives.

At this stage, I don't think any family would be inclined to shelter them. In fact, I would think that LE is watching any family across the country in the hope of apprehending them.

This is a huge story in Canada right now. You can't escape the updates. The story is leading all newscasts.

These guys are out there on their own now. They are pariahs.

MOO

But... these are not ordinary times and their crimes are not ordinary crimes. Rather, they are going to be declared an apprehension priority by the Canadian authorities and the case will be widely publicized. Thus, they are going to stand out in isolated Canada, no matter how accustomed they are to life there. This would seem to leave two Northern Exposure options:

- Lay low in zero cool factor area while being sheltered by relatives. The severity of the crimes would probably limit any sympathies and I don’t know if parts of Canada have a residual clannish“ ‘kin come first and always” type tradition like say the U.S. Ozarks. Sheriffs there have complained on occasion about murder suspects being sheltered by a series of relatives.

I was reading about Robert and Danny Sand, who were sheltered by a former foster parent. She helped them change their appearance with hair dye and different clothes. A foster parent was involved with Travis Vader around the time of the McCann murders.

I believe these young men had a connection to Gillam in some way, possibly family or a family property.

At this stage, I don't think any family would be inclined to shelter them. In fact, I would think that LE is watching any family across the country in the hope of apprehending them.

This is a huge story in Canada right now. You can't escape the updates. The story is leading all newscasts.

These guys are out there on their own now. They are pariahs.

MOO

I agree, they’re on their own. And if the two have access to the internet, the silence, the lack of updates must be driving them crazy!

I could be wrong but I got the impression police discovered the body while investigating the burning truck.

“On Friday, RCMP discovered the burning truck, fitted with a sleeping camper, near Dease Lake, B.C. They found the body the same day, about two kilometres away in a highway pullout.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-drivers-bc-truck-1.5219845

Yes, but someone reported the body to them.

I disagree with the official RCMP statement that the manner of death is not relevant. But then I disagree with the way they have handled a lot of things about this case. For example, if they'd declared the two suspects as POIs right off the bat, or as potential witnesses, the manhunt might not have gotten this far. If the manner of death at Dease Lake was identical to the murders near Liard Hot Springs, then they knew early on that these two were likely connected.

So was that man shot, body pointing north, head facing west, with one hand under his body and a shoe or two missing? That would be relevant.

Could someone please tell me if Lucas and Chynna's shoes were found at the scene? He wasn't wearing any, and she had one, according to reports. We know that Lucas drove shoeless. Did the suspects take their shoes from the scene? I think that if some sort of ritual was involved, the shoes might also be missing. Furthermore, what was the shoe status at Dease Lake with the unidentified victim?

Just thinking of all those missing people from Vancouver Island and shoes washing up on beaches. Not saying this duo is responsible for all that.

LE has not disclosed what items they believe were taken. At this point in time there’s nothing to indicate a cultish or ritualistic involvement whatsoever. Only that two youths yearning for adventure and excitement for some reason totally lost their grip on reality, which resulted in the profoundly tragic and senseless deaths of innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879