Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Written in large letters on Sheila Deese’s calendar, under July 31, are two words: “Chynna returns.”

Chynna Deese, 24, had been travelling through British Columbia with her boyfriend, 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler. They were to weave their way through the province in a camper van Mr. Fowler had bought just for the occasion, hitting B.C.’s national parks before heading through the Yukon and into Alaska.

And on Wednesday, Chynna was to fly home to Charlotte, N.C., where her mother would pick her up from the airport.

[...]

“I’m just sick to my stomach, literally,” Ms. Deese said in an emotional interview. “I want them caught. I want them to have consequences … The story is about Chynna and Lucas, but so much of the focus is these boys, these evil, evil boys.” bbm

When she cannot sleep, and that is often, Ms. Deese watches the surveillance video of the two taken from a Fort Nelson gas station on July 13, just more than a week into the trip. In it, Chynna, clad in a T-shirt, shorts and sandals, is seen squeegeeing the windows of the blue, beat up van while Lucas gasses up.

“I have watched that video 1,000 times, just literally – the first night it came out, over and over and over,” Ms. Deese said.

“My daughter would not be the one to just sit in the van and wait on Lucas to fill up. She’s out cleaning every window – the front, the driver’s side. And I’m watching how meticulous she was, as I watched it over and over.”

At one point in the video, Chynna hops up on a step and the two wrap their arms around each other.

“On that embrace, I could hear them going, ‘Let’s do this. Let’s go,’” Ms. Deese said. “It was such a plan. It was a route they had planned out. It was not spontaneous. They had saved money, he had fixed up the van with a camper in the back. That video, being the last thing, is a gift to me, of how happy they were.” bbm

Ms. Deese described Chynna as a “beautiful soul” with a big heart. She volunteered at a camp for special needs families in Charlotte, she donated blood to the blood centre Ms. Deese works at. She had given away many of her clothes and vowed not to buy anything new until her birthday in January, saying material things just weren’t that important.

She had travelled to 13 countries, among them Egypt, Italy and Croatia, where she and Lucas met in a hostel. Ms. Deese said she sometimes grew nervous about these trips – such as when Chynna stayed on a farm in Portugal without internet access, or travelled by train solo – but that Canada “was never, ever a concern.”

A ‘beautiful soul’: Mother of Chynna Deese discusses her daughter’s volunteering, travels around the world

I feel honored to know that Chynna has visited Portugal. I hope we have treated her well!

May your spirit fly free beautiful soul!

(I'm sorry, i just got emotional...)

Oh gosh I didn't think that at all, no worry. So they were still showing as 'missing' when they hit CL - they gave their real names to the guy who pulled them out. Could be they were 'testing the waters' - "if we give our real names, how will the guy react? Will he say "hey you guys are missing get hold of family or cops in BC tell them you are safe". (that is one possible thought in their heads" But the man didn't show any sign of recognizing their names, so on to Meadow Lake they become more brazen - still on media as 'missing' - they appear on store video. They have got to know "so far they have no clue where we are or that we stole the Rav4 etc etc. So simple math would tell them they have a decent lead of time - but we gonna have to ditch the Rav4 at some point - on to Split Lake, Gillam they go and even getting that far, the 2 aux. cops didn't recognize them or the clerk at the SL store. What I am finding really bizarre but interesting is: they seem to leave some sort of 'calling card' each step of the way in a brazen almost 'catch us if you can' way. I am really really curious about why they left that 1 matchstick at the site where they burnt the Rav4. I think they are still alive, what condition they are in I have no idea......it's a game to them I feel. It's going on 3 weeks now....if they are alive in their minds they have won.....and set a whole country in fear. It' really feels like they are so arrogant they are almost mocking the police and the country. What do you think? Punch holes in any of my theory @scrappinkat

A lot of teen boys are just messy. (I swear I used to think my boy was PigPen from the Charlie Brown comics, with the classic dust cloud and all) Dropping a matchstick or two and not even noticing while lighting a car on fire is something I can see happening, especially when nervous. So far eye witness accounts have stated they have seemed quite nervous when talked to. As for giving the guy who pulled them out their real names, I think it was just reflex and lack of experience being a fugitive. Adults who have worked with them have said they were very polite so shaking hands and giving your name could just be the way they do, have always done, introductions. I’ve seen it mentioned about asking the clerk if it was really an alcohol free town. That’s been suggested as a ruse to scope out what people might know about them. Perhaps it just a foreign concept to two teens who have grown up where liquor is so easily available and they were incredulous at an entire town being alcohol free. Why is appearing on video so surprising though? Video surveillance is everywhere. Maybe they had no matches lol

You and I have different opinions as I don’t believe this was an elaborately planned out game. I think they had plans to head out looking for work, there’s relatives in Alberta and Sask, but something somewhere went very wrong when they were camping and they found themselves realizing they had killed a man. Everything after that point that’s led to them has been a result of panic and reaction rather than careful strategy. I think the breadcrumbs are situational and therefore incidental at the time they occur, it’s only when looking back that they can be labeled to have significance. Personally I think fear will drive a person much longer and further than playing out a game.

I wonder when they will actually charge them with anything regarding the murder of Fowler and Deese.

There’s absolutely no rush in filing those charges.

When and if these two are captured, they already have second degree murder charges to hold them on.

They can wait as long as they want, because once they are caught they won’t be going anywhere.

I agree - there is no rush in Canada to name them charged rather than suspected in the deaths of Lucas and Chynna - especially if they have charges pending. The 2 suspects have a Canada wide warrant leveled against them for the killing of Leonard Dyke and that's enough to have them searched for and then arrested.

In the meantime, investigators will continue to gather additional solid evidence (which Canadian citizens aren't privy too) to build a case against the suspects for the murders of Lucas and Chynna and Leonard Dyke as well.

I suppose if for some reason, the charges are dropped against the suspects for the murder of Mr. Dyke, then charges might quickly be brought forward against the suspects for the murders of the other two but it's highly unlikely that scenario would happen.

I don't think the lack of charges against the suspects for the murder of Lucas and Chynna is anything to worry about. The RCMP are probably just gathering evidence and will lay charges when they need to and not before.

Last edited:
I agree - there is no rush in Canada to name them charged rather than suspected in the deaths of Lucas and Chynna - especially if they have charges pending. The 2 suspects have a Canada wide warrant leveled against them for the killing of Leonard Dyke and that's enough to have them searched for and then arrested.

In the meantime, investigators will continue to gather additional solid evidence (which Canadian citizens aren't privy too) to build a case against the suspects for the murders of Lucas and Chynna and Leonard Dyke as well.

I suppose if for some reason, the charges are dropped against the suspects for the murder of Mr. Dyke, then charges might quickly be brought forward against the suspects for the murders of the other two but it's highly unlikely that scenario would happen.

I don't think the lack of charges is anything to worry about. The RCMP are probably just gathering evidence and will lay charges when they need to and not before.

This has me thinking about what could definitively connect these guys to all three murders.

They’re certainly not guessing here.

I’m wondering if perhaps one of them left a fingerprint on the van, and the ballistics or bullet/shell casings matched both crime scenes (if LD was even shot, which has not been reported).

I’m dying to know what the answer is.

This has me thinking about what could definitively connect these guys to all three murders.

I’m wondering if perhaps one of them left a fingerprint on the van, and the ballistics or bullet/shell casings matched both crime scenes (if LD was even shot, which has not been reported).

It could be so many things.

Fingerprints, ballistics, evidence left behind, method of killing, positioning of body, webcam footage of when vehicles were spotted on the Alaska Highway, tire impressions left at both scenes, source of incendiary device... lots of evidence could have been left behind for the RCMP to investigate.

The possibilities are endless...but honestly, I have faith in the RCMP to get it right.

It could be so many things.

Fingerprints, ballistics, evidence left behind, method of killing, positioning of body, webcam footage of when vehicles were spotted on the Alaska Highway, tire impressions left at both scenes, source of incendiary device... lots of evidence could have been left behind for the RCMP to investigate.

The possibilities are endless...but honestly, I have faith in the RCMP to get it right.
Oh I do too.

I have no doubt that they have a solid basis for this connection, and for these two being responsible.

I have thought that they were sifting through every bit of the burnt truck because they were looking for parts of a burnt gun, or bullets that may have been matched to the weapon/bullets used to kill Chynna and Lucas - but we would not know if they did find anything

I have thought that they were sifting through every bit of the burnt truck because they were looking for parts of a burnt gun, or bullets that may have been matched to the weapon/bullets used to kill Chynna and Lucas - but we would not know if they did find anything

No, we wouldn't hear what they found.

They may have been sifting for parts of the gun and anything else they could find and identify but the RCMP wouldn't normally reveal the results of that search.

There is cell service in most communities/towns in the Yukon, so you’d get service and Watson Lake and Teslin at least before you hit Whitehorse.
Yes I would agree, I didn’t think of Teslin at all because it’s not too far from Whitehorse but I think you’re correct. But only if you have a Telus or Bell service provider. I believe in Whitehorse you can have the other service providers though.

Not sure I’m posting this in the proper way (new here)....but I would love to hear some opinions by anyone who wants to chime in, who they think it the dominant of the 2 suspects? It’s common when a pair kills, one is more into it and makes the decisions and the other tends to go along with it to some extent. But what really has me curious is that we all have heard about Bryer and the negative things associated with him, yet we know little to no information about Kam besides his close friend and family saying he’s kind and caring. It’s reported Bryer doesn’t talk much, really shy, etc but Kam is more outgoing than Bryer. The part that made me rethink things is that Kam is walking in front through the store and again out the door and to me appears less nervous (I don’t know how to word this but I mean Bryer seems to be looking around a lot and Kam seems unbothered) and Kam is also the driver or the vehicles. So who is making the decisions, who is the dominant one?

... but something somewhere went very wrong when they were camping and they found themselves realizing they had killed a man.

I'm not wishing to be pedantic but they've been charged with second degree murder, i.e. intentional murder that is not premeditated. "Realizing they had killed a man" implies manslaughter.

I use a shotgun many many times. I own one. And it blows many holes into things. Because it's actually a bunch of little buck shots... Like little pellets all into one casing. And it splatters. So Lucas was said to have had a small wound in his abdomen area. That certainly doesn't add up to a Shotgun. If he was shot at in the abdomen with a shotgun his whole guts would have been blow it out. Sorry to be gross but anyway that's a shotgun for you.
I don’t think he was shot in the abdomen by a shotgun. I asked earlier where people read the autopsy report because I haven’t seen it and nobody said where to confirm there was more than just a cute on his abdomen. So I’m not sure if it’s shown all the injuries or just mentions that one? But my thought was not in the abdomen. I don’t really feel it’s appropriate to say where just out of respect to the family/friends that may see this by chance and I don’t want to upset anyone else. But ya, I would love to know where I can find this report so I can actually know what I’m talking about and be caught up to speed. I’ve had a tough time finding some of the awesome information provided here, a lot of digging has been done clearly and I would love to get caught up! Lol

they called a grandmother at one point, right? BS's? where are their phones?
Who knows! Just another mystery lol But they would be stupid to turn them on at all or game over. I think the grandma may be confused about what day she heard from him or she doesn’t want to say a specific date to avoid lying but to also leave it open for the possibility they couldn’t have killed the first victims by the dates/no cell service. I have no idea honestly, just throwing around some ideas. But I’m sure the rcmp knows by the call logs.

Not sure I’m posting this in the proper way (new here)....but I would love to hear some opinions by anyone who wants to chime in, who they think it the dominant of the 2 suspects? It’s common when a pair kills, one is more into it and makes the decisions and the other tends to go along with it to some extent. But what really has me curious is that we all have heard about Bryer and the negative things associated with him, yet we know little to no information about Kam besides his close friend and family saying he’s kind and caring. It’s reported Bryer doesn’t talk much, really shy, etc but Kam is more outgoing than Bryer. The part that made me rethink things is that Kam is walking in front through the store and again out the door and to me appears less nervous (I don’t know how to word this but I mean Bryer seems to be looking around a lot and Kam seems unbothered) and Kam is also the driver or the vehicles. So who is making the decisions, who is the dominant one?

From the info I read about both of them and past behaviour I would say Bryer is the dominant one. Obviously I could be wrong though

they called a grandmother at one point, right? BS's? where are their phones?

They may well still have a phone or phones. GPS mode (assuming they have smartphones - not everyone does - I don't) would, I imagine, be very useful to them. All they would need to do is have the phones in airplane mode, so there would be no cellular transmission, Bluetooth, etc. GPS does work on at least some phones in airplane mode; I've seen it do so.

GPS has no uplink; it's receiver only, so it is able to work while the phone is unable to transmit. Also, in airplane mode, there is less power usage. I imagine a smartphone could last quite some time on one charge if it's only being turned on in airplane mode for a few minutes a day.

If the phone is not transmitting, it can't be tracked.

this article from vancouver press has a photo of suspects i have never seen before
Ontario police haven't confirmed tipster's claim that Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod were in Kapuskasing
even thought stats show them at the same height- bryer looks taller than kam
bryer_s.jpg

Information provided here deleted because nobody seemed interested...DD

That's probably because it's 4:12 a.m. in Canada, the same for the west coast of the US and 7:15 Eastern, so they're either all still asleep or having breakfast. There are many Aussies here and for us it's 9:17 p.m. on the east coast and 7:25 p.m. on our west coast.

Try reposting later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members