Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ont-northern-bc-murders-1.5235682
Police say the more specific the tip, the better

"The more information [there is], it makes it easier for us to follow up on ... We can't dismiss it either if it's vague or doesn't have enough content but it may take us longer to filter through and try to figure out was there any merit into this tip," she said.

"We really don't want to discourage people from continuing to report because it could be that one tip that might be legitimate, that might be a true sighting."

The fact that so many people are flagging possible sightings shows the case has captured public attention, she said.

"It's telling us that people are listening to the news and people are being extra vigilant ... And there's that heightened sense of, 'hey, we don't know where they are, we don't know where they may be, they could show up in my backyard."'

I don't really like the messaging that is coming out in relation to this investigation. The teens were initially labeled as "missing." Now, in hindsight, people are saying that the message should have been that although they were missing, the public should have been told to "not approach them." That's ridiculous.

Anyone on here from Quebec outside of Montreal? I’m curious what sort of coverage the story has received in the francophone press and in northern Quebec. How aware might someone be in rural northern Quebec about who these two guys are or what they look like?

Not that I think they made it that far.

I know in Alberta I get virtually zero news on anything that happens in Quebec from MSM.
Many threads ago somebody from Quebec said there had been little or nothing by way of news in the province. I think unless some very specific effort is made, most regions in Canada have only a high level knowledge/understanding of events and issues in other regions. Even with that, Quebec stands out as particularly sheltered. If there ever is a verified sighting in ON, I think it will ramp up then.

Many threads ago somebody from Quebec said there had been little or nothing by way of news in the province. I think unless some very specific effort is made, most regions in Canada have only a high level knowledge/understanding of events and issues in other regions. Even with that, Quebec stands out as particularly sheltered. If there ever is a verified sighting in ON, I think it will ramp up then.

I think most people just carry on with life as normal, trusting that it really has nothing to do with them, and the probability of seeing the suspects is slim to none. When you think about it, this is something that has happened in Northern Canada, not in any city.

Although people are fearful in Gillam Manitoba, the response was quite different when the burned car was found near Dease Lake. Gillam Manitoba residents reacted differently than Dease Lake residents. If the suspects' behaviour is unchanged, they ditched the car and put as much distance as possible between them and the car.

I found this story from the CBC yesterday doesn’t add much new for us but it’s interesting for the human/psychological element of this whole thing...how the fear spreads, how in the absence of news/info rumours sprout.

That must have been a little unnerving for that road worker/medic having to secure the initial crime scene for 3.5-4 hrs waiting for LE to arrive. Two victims laying there and he and no idea if the killer/killers were just in the woods watching him.

Plus this article raises a whole slew of OT questions about kids working alone at night!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...unt-bryer-schmegelsky-mcleod-gillam-1.5233428

The unnecessary mistakes journalists make are sometimes fairly amazing. Does she not have access to Google Maps?

“Trans-Canada Highway 11 is the main route through for drivers heading from Manitoba to Ontario.”

She seems to be conflating Highway 11 in MB with Highway 11 in ON throughout the article. Either way, neither of them directly link the two provinces.

Apologies if this is a repeat:

Survival expert says 90% chance B.C. murder suspects are still alive

I thought one of the most insightful thoughts on this topic was from the article with the interview with the German tourists. Paraphrasing, “survival is mostly about what you’re willing to do, rather that what you’re able to do”. These fugitives would seem to have little in the way of a end game that favours anything beyond arrest and trial. The drive to live in people is generally strong, but I think these guys would be more likely to essentially lay down and die than would the tourists wanting to get back to civilization and their homes, families and friends.

Apologies if this is a repeat:

Survival expert says 90% chance B.C. murder suspects are still alive

I thought one of the most insightful thoughts on this topic was from the article with the interview with the German tourists. Paraphrasing, “survival is mostly about what you’re willing to do, rather that what you’re able to do”. These fugitives would seem to have little in the way of a end game that favours anything beyond arrest and trial. The drive to live in people is generally strong, but I think these guys would be more likely to essentially lay down and die than would the tourists wanting to get back to civilization and their homes, families and friends.

I'm stuck on the fact that the car was burned next to a train track. I don't think that was accidental. They drove to Split Lake, got gas, drove to the end of the road at the train track, burned the car and disappeared. That sounds like a plan.

Staying in the area for 24 hours while RCMP check out the vehicle does not make sense, nor does trying to hide in bug infested bog.

We know that RCMP searched for the suspects near their burned truck, and that the residents of Dease Lake respected the search and accepted that they were safe when RCMP moved on. Gillam residents are still fearful even though a thorough search has produced no evidence that the suspects are still in the area.

Interesting. The case of the 2 missing men from Surrey, BC (last seen on July 17th) is now considered to possibly be foul play. I wonder if connected to these other cases? The timeline is sure close! Mounties considering foul play as search for missing Surrey men continues

There are just so many young men that go missing in BC, it seems to happen so frequently, that I think I’m becoming desensitized to it. Isn’t this something that’s happening elsewhere??

I just assumed these are separate cases, missing men being such a relatively common occurrence here. I don’t think there’s necessarily a connection at all.

Since BC is on the west coast there’s a roaring drug trade going on with illegal drugs spreading north and east from here. So anytime any young man goes missing my first thought is, right or wrong: drugs and the drug trade.

NOT that I’m at all suggesting this is the case with BS and KM, I’m really not, just sharing some thoughts about the area and the drug trade and missing men in general.

You're right. There are lots of men missing from BC and feet in shoes washing up on shorelines is common. Don't think BS and KM involved in drug trade at all (think they would be considered "small potatoes" as far as that is concerned.). I'm still leaning towards suicide, or murder/suicide with these guys... somewhere out in the bush of Gillam, unless there is a 3rd player who met up with them to provide another vehicle. But, you still need money - where is that coming from? Final pay-cheques from Walmart 'aint gonna cut it.

This was posted in the hard copy of the National Post on Aug 2. There doesn't appear to be an online copy of the article other than pressreader.

View attachment 196544

View attachment 196545

So many police departments have upgraded their radios and how they communicate. People with scanners were a huge issue where I live, Facebook posts would go up about where the police were heading and who they were looking for and sometimes people were getting there first to watch it all go down. Upgrading their technology so scanners no longer work is one budget allocation that I totally agree with.

You're right. There are lots of men missing from BC and feet in shoes washing up on shorelines is common. Don't think BS and KM involved in drug trade at all (think they would be considered "small potatoes" as far as that is concerned.). I'm still leaning towards suicide, or murder/suicide with these guys... somewhere out in the bush of Gillam, unless there is a 3rd player who met up with them to provide another vehicle. But, you still need money - where is that coming from? Final pay-cheques from Walmart 'aint gonna cut it.
Oh heavens, yes - the feet. One thing that struck me, and I have watched over and over (like I have no life), is the video of the two guys in the co-op. Their expressions look very sad to me and not at all like two young men out enjoying themselves on a road trip. Murder suicide would not surprise me at all. As for money, I am sure they made connections through gaming and may well have a third person assisting them. I am sure that if they had this thing planned out, they would have money to keep them going. The big unknown is did they intentionally start out on a killing spree leading to a manhunt that would essentially prevent them from taking casual labour jobs? I have no idea what happened when they connected with Lucas and Chynna, but maybe killing wasn't what they intended when they set out.

I also can't get past the fact that at the time that the Rav4 was found, RCMP connected the vehicle to the murders, the suspects and knew the name of the previously unidentified victim.

Did they know the name of the victim? Paperwork filed for the second degree charge referred to him as John Doe. I thought it was only after the RAV4 was found that he was identified.

Imho they can make it till winter at which point it would be more life threatening probably because they prepared living in the woods for the past two years, plus learned skills from that game Rust. There was a guy in Maine who lived in the woods for decades hunting, fishing and gathering wild fruit and vegetables.
Do you mean this fellow? https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Woods-Extraordinary-Story-Hermit/dp/1101875682

If so, he mainly (if not exclusively) broke into cabins and stole food and supplies.

If you meant someone else, I'd love to know who, as I love reading about these guys. Thanks!

Welcome Furthermore! I enjoyed reading your post. Just one comment about the bugs - even if the fugitives survive the bug bites, they might find that bug bites still lead to their deaths.

Without shelter at night, bugs bites will cover your entire body. They get into your ears, up your nose, into your eyes. You may have experienced black fly bites and know that a well placed bite on your eyelid can make your eye swell shut.

Even if they were prepared with a couple of bottles of Muskol, how long would that last? Gosh, if they didn't find shelter, they could be blinded by insect bites, and the outlook would be bleak.
From their starting point as relatively suburban BC'ers, would mosquito netting be part of common/standard camping gear?

I suppose it's possible they have netting from the professor's supplies too.

Is there good cell service right in Gillam? I can't remember now.

Anyone on here from Quebec outside of Montreal? I’m curious what sort of coverage the story has received in the francophone press and in northern Quebec. How aware might someone be in rural northern Quebec about who these two guys are or what they look like?

Not that I think they made it that far.

I know in Alberta I get virtually zero news on anything that happens in Quebec from MSM.
I lived in Quebec and i can tell you that everybody i know are aware of this story. There is almost daily coverage on french tv news and newspaper.

Does anyone know how long they worked for? Wondering if they saved all their money Or if they were paying any bills and just blowing it all? Maybe they have pockets full of money on hand from saving ?

I'm very interested in what people think about what was going on during two periods of time:
  1. from the early morning hours of 15 July near Liard Hot Springs to the sighting at Jade City on the 18th July (~4 hours drive)
  2. from 22nd July ~4pm Split Lake Checkpoint to burning Rav4 near Fox Creek 22nd July 7PM (~2 hours drive)
For (1) they had 3 days unaccounted for, where were they and what were they doing?

For (2) they had around one hour unaccounted for to pack what they needed, set the car on fire then either hike out into the bush or hijack a car to leave the area

I have seen conflicting reports of the burning car being found on the 22nd or the 23rd but I'm going with 22nd based on CBC timeline https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-bc-killings-manitoba-1.5224278

@meltait
The sun was setting Friday night on a pretty quiet town and tired looking RCMP officers. Also an inexplicable jet stream from a jet flying straight up? It was SW of Gillam.

IMO, that's not jet stream going up. Looks more like something coming down, possibly a flare. Hard to tell what distance it's at.

Is there good cell service right in Gillam? I can't remember now.
July 28 2019
In wake of northern B.C. murders, residents say cell service needed along highways

"Phillips says she often encounters people arriving at the campground who have been out of touch with the rest of the world for days. Lately, she says those travellers are now getting an extra shock.

“People will come here and say they haven’t heard of [the murders] because they’ve been travelling and they don’t have cell service,” she said. “They get more cautious when they hear what happened.

“I think that’s why we’re busier. People want to stay in groups and not be on their own.”

Asked whether more cell service is needed in the region, Phillips was clear: “We’ve been asking [the province] for years.”
Farmer left without cell service after Bell MTS network change
April 11, 2019
A grain farmer in rural Manitoba says she is now forced to drive 25 kilometres from where she lives and works to get cell service, after Bell MTS made a change to its network.

“Now it’s quite frightening in that we’re heading into a new seeding season in terms of our business,” said Lorna DeVos, a farmer in Fork River, Man., which is about 50 kilometres north of Dauphin.

“Everything was coordinated via cellphone, like fuel deliveries and seed deliveries and fertilizer to the field, that’s just one way it impacts us directly.”

DeVos said cell service in her area was always “poor-to-mediocre at best,” but things got even worse on April 2 when Bell MTS, which shares a parent company with CTV News, switched her region over from CDMA to the latest 4G LTE network."
"DeVos said the loss of cell service has sparked a number of safety concerns for her and others in the community.

She’s concerned with the potential risk posed for those working in emergency services, who also rely on cellphones.

“That’s quite a scary thing when you realize your local fire department might not even get the message that there’s a fire.”

DeVos also noted that without cell service, it can be more difficult for people in rural communities to access help if they find themselves in trouble."
rbbm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member