Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They sure do. The lesson is, winding up on one-way roads to nowhere and wandering around the bush isn’t a great idea if (a) you don’t want to get caught and (b) you want to live :)

(c) Make a plan and equip yourself accordingly and then get the hell off the grid and live happily ever after. Not all criminals are as naive and haphazard as these two and many are infinitely more dangerous. If they weren't aware that getting off the grid up north was an option, they might be now and that could make people in those areas more vulnerable.

As for lessons learned, I was thinking along the lines of increasing cell coverage, more highway cams, improved response times to call-outs, what resources were effective, what wasn't, that kind of thing.

I think there are some lessons to be learned. Here's me saying once again that I expect to hear about this in question period in federal parliament come fall, this election year. Families don't get to decide if an inquest will be held, but some families might welcome one.

Lesson 1: Don't lend a couple of dodgy 19 years olds a camper truck (presuming that's what happened).

Honestly, 2 kids plus camper truck plus gun (that'll be lesson #2)=trouble.

If it turns out that they have been dead for quite a while I can’t see the police ever stating the boat is linked to them, as this would certainly lead people to question how a boat was missed abandoned only a few km from the burned vehicle in spite of all the air searches that took place, especially along rivers and roadways

What I understand is: the boat showed up on recent surveillance footage where it was nowhere to be seen in earlier surveillance video of the same location. Makes sense?

One thing that has come through loud and clear is that the RCMP, as an enforcement agency, doesn’t leak like a sieve, or indeed at all. There are some countries where probable cause of death etc, etc would be all over cable news by now. Apparently RCMP members, from constable on up, don’t think that they’re part of a reality TV show.

I’m confused by the statement that I’ve bolded. Is she saying they received tips about the Texas guy and that there was a probable link between him and the murders of Fowler/Deese? (It wasn’t a possible presence in Canada, he was/maybe still is, in Canada). If details about evidence that led police to link Kam/Bryer aren’t released I think this case will grow into a divisive example of why people will choose to either support the police or worse eschew them.

Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet from the RCMP in B.C. weighed in.

We had, in advance of naming Schmegelsky and McLeod as suspects in the homicides in northern BC, received numerous tips from the public in relation to Derek Whisenand’s possible presence in Canada and a probable link to the homicides,” she said.

“The RCMP does not consider Whisenand a suspect.”​

‘A murderer from Texas’: RCMP debunk five conspiracy theories about the B.C. fugitives

That important last statement, “The RCMP does not consider Whisenand a suspect.” , actually means that Whisenand is not considered a suspect. He's not a suspect. No evidence linking him to the killings, therefore he is not a suspect. Not a suspect. No.

Renata D'Aliesio‏ @RenataDAliesio
Community meeting now underway in Gillam after RCMP announced earlier today that they believe they have found the bodies of the fugitives #canadamanhunt #canadianmanhunt

EBZzEqVXsAE5h8j.jpg

4:10 PM - 7 Aug 2019 pt

Unless they find evidence (possibly with the bodies) that is sufficient to result in charges against the 2 in the double murder, I don’t think LE will release details of potential evidence about the murders to the public. I heard Chris Lewis , former OPP commissioner on the radio this afternoon, and he confirmed this. They cannot release evidence and jeopardize a murder investigation, which will have to continue if charges cannot he laid. They will have to try and find the real killers.

The two cannot be convicted posthumously and after the death of a suspect, any outstanding charges are withdrawn because there cannot ever be an arrest or criminal trial.

question for ppl with law experience.. would the publication ban on the murder charges for LD remain even after these suspects are confirmed to be deceased ? meaning we would not know any of the evidence filed for the charges?

I think that publication ban was only for one day. Still won’t learn about any evidence though IMO.

They just found out today that their children are dead. I can’t even imagine how awful this whole ordeal has been for them as well. They had to have been holding out hope that they were found alive and had an explanation for all of this.

Hope their wishes are respected, and nobody camped outside their driveways.

Still a lot of questions around this case. As I understand it, Fowler had recently or was still working on a cattle ranch in British Columbia so that may have been the source of the weapon that was used. Taken or borrowed for this road trip. I'm glad that the two suspects have been found so those affected by this case can move on but I think there will always be questions that will linger about the how and the why.

Glad this manhunt has concluded.... but ugh!!!!! So many question that may never be answered!

I think that publication ban was only for one day. Still won’t learn about any evidence though IMO.

Yes, there were suggestions here, although never explained, that there was some kind of publication ban on some kind of document, for 24 hours.

The only evidence in a court file will be in affidavits filed in support of search warrants, which may have been obtained, for example, for McLeod’s and Schmegelsky’s parents’ homes.

Of course they said that. But That doesn’t mean they have enough evidence to have charges laid.
And I’m keeping up just fine.

What would be the point of laying charges against 2 dead men? Won't whatever evidence has been uncovered suffice to name them as the people responsible for the 3 murders?
I'm just trying to understand the importance of laying charges as, obviously, there will be no trial.

One thing that has come through loud and clear is that the RCMP, as an enforcement agency, doesn’t leak like a sieve, or indeed at all. There are some countries where probable cause of death etc, etc would be all over cable news by now. Apparently RCMP members, from constable on up, don’t think that they’re part of a reality TV show.
Probably because none of the positions for law enforcement in Canada is an elected position such as in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth