Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
they showed the screenshot in that interview - I saw it - maybe they edited it out of the version you saw

I’m not sure about everyone but in that early interview the screenshot wasn’t readable (to me anyways) The new screenshot in the earlier linked article is easy to read.

I don't know if Kam and Bryer committed the three murders, or whether there is a third person involved because there's not enough information from the police yet. I will say though -- and some here have predicted this -- that finding the two of them dead in the woods would be exactly the outcome you would expect if they were somehow set-up as patsies, or if there has been someone else calling the shots (so to speak). If it turns out that they have been dead more than a few days then I will wonder why the belongings and the boat suddenly showed up only a couple of days ago.

I find it quite off-putting when the media asked RCMP during a press release whether they should have done things differently; whether they are at fault for the suspects travelling across the country.

We know that the first 2 murders were in the news on July 16. The information was available to Dr Leonard Dyck, yet he was killed on July 19. As a botanist, whose world was research and the university, I doubt that he would have done anything different even if he was aware of the suspicious deaths (meaning: questionable murders).

What I'm saying is that earlier reporting that two unidentified people were shot near Liard Hot Springs would not have changed anything.

it might have helped if LD heard about it and instantly became paranoid of strangers, but BS ad KM had not been connected to the crime yet, and as was pointed out before, LD taught college age students and was probably likely to talk to young people, and everyone else who encountered BS and KM said they were polite and mild mannered, so they probably would not have caused immediate fear and suspicion, IMO.

Just read this article ‘Murder is not a private matter’: RCMP owe public more answers about suspected B.C. killers, critics say — The Star. Some interesting concerns. They go over the questions that still need to be answered. They say that it was a tip that lead to the boys being named suspects. I didn’t know that.

“What led police to first suspect Schmegelsky and McLeod?

The RCMP have previously told Star Vancouver that a tip changed the status of the two men from “missing persons” to “suspects” on July 23 — and it was very sudden. What was that tip? “

They were seen driving the Rav4 in Saskatchewan, so not missing.

Canada has very few murders outside of gang, but those that are not gang are really strange. Even these 3 murders are in that category.
I think it’s just because the criminal mind is strange and creates strange and shocking situations. We tend to gravitate to and know our own cases the best very generally speaking. The strange devils are in the strange details, and it’s that intimate knowledge that makes them seem unique. They’re probably not though, they’re just the ones we know enough about to be mystified by. I’ve been involved with these kinds of discussions for 15 years and only ever did any kind of a deep dive on four cases that fascinated me over that whole time. Three of them were Canadian. I think we just know our own crazy really well. Lol.

Just read this article ‘Murder is not a private matter’: RCMP owe public more answers about suspected B.C. killers, critics say — The Star. Some interesting concerns. They go over the questions that still need to be answered. They say that it was a tip that lead to the boys being named suspects. I didn’t know that.

The RCMP have previously told Star Vancouver that a tip changed the status of the two men from “missing persons” to “suspects” on July 23 — and it was very sudden. What was that tip? “

Based on things I’ve read it was a tip about Kam and Bryers location and how it intersected with Chynna and Lucas. But there has not been any publicly released info about that tip. There also hasn’t been info released by police about the travel route either party took, although I assume they have managed to trace each route to at least a small degree.

I also agree about his grandma. His grandma had nothing but positive things to say about him in the media and said he was "a great kid and I enjoyed having him live with me." Of course that could be a lie, but I don't think so, especially since his great-uncle corroborated it. He hated and disrespected his mom and he only saw his dad once or twice a month if at all. I think his grandma was really the only person he saw as a legitimate parental figure because based on what we know, she was probably the only parental figure he had seen that kept things relatively together and didn't go totally off the rails with cops, social workers, and everything. That's why she had no idea of how messed up he really was -- just like how most teenagers have a whole side of their life that they hide from their parents because they know their parents would be upset if they knew. JMO.
SBM

Yeah I think his grandma was being truthful about her impression. Likewise, I doubt she saw the full side of him. I don't know how old she is, but if she is anything like my grandparents, she may have had a hard time with the concept of playing video games. And she might have just had a hard time understanding or connecting with his general interests in general, so she would have been clueless about how he was spending his time. Seems like he spent a lot of time at KM's house, too, rather than inviting KM over. Likewise, the stories from others seemed to involve interacting with BS at their own home or school or elsewhere rather than wherever BS was staying. A lot of kids who grow up in dysfunctional homes can be afraid of inviting people over. I think grandma's house was probably the most stable place he lived, but he might also have been self-conscious about her not being as well off as KM's family.

A cautionary message could have been displayed after 9AM on July 15. Amber Alert folks can provide suggestions on appropriate wording.

At 9am on July 15th police had no way of knowing a stranger was involved. They didn’t know anything about the victims, who they were, who they associated with or if it was a domestic incident involving a third passenger or acquaintances following along who arrived later. When it’s all said a done it’s easy to judge but nowhere in Canada, including the far north nor any other country that I’m aware of, do police raise alerts and cause public alarm based only on pure speculation.

ETA
I still believe the difficulty in identifying L&C posed a challenge because without knowing who the victims were, the RCMP didn’t know what was their reason to be in the area. They didn’t know they were harmless foreign tourists who didn’t know a soul who were only an adventurous vacation. The police didn’t know any of that at 9am on July 15th.

Last edited:
That's funny! Bunch of illiterates.

Five Provinces : BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The DailyMail has some serious problems with counting.
I wonder if they were including the Yukon? Even tho it’s not a province...

I think 11,000 sq km is probably from Split Lake to York Landing, Gillam, Sundance and part of the Nelson River, plus the train tracks from Gillam to Churchill and York Landing. There's also the ferry from Split Lake to York Landing.

area = 11,000 square kilometres
area = length x width
111.025 = 105 x 105

a square with sides of 105 km makes 11,000 sq km
it's probably more of a rectangle with spots at Churchill and the Hudson Bay.

The red dot represents Gillam, the car and the bodies. Ignore the light blue route.

View attachment 197640
wow, that really puts the extent of the search into perspective!

Murder is a public matter. Serial murders on public roadways are a public matter. Murder in any public place is a public matter.

It is not enough for justice to be done. It has to be seen to be done.

Every year on this day, I check on Wikipedia to make sure that one murder remains a public matter, because it was edited out in the past. Just doing my job as a WSer.

It is in fact possible there were body parts found on the beach. Maybe dragged there by animals.
Ooh! Maybe. That is the only thing that makes sense on how they were so sure they were dead.

At 9am on July 15th police had no way of knowing a stranger was involved. They didn’t know anything about the victims, who they were, who they associated with or if it was a domestic incident involving a third passenger or acquaintances following along who arrived later. When it’s all said a done it’s easy to judge but nowhere in Canada, including the far north nor any other country that I’m aware of, do police raise alerts and cause public alarm based only on pure speculation.
Otto and I discussed this matter in several posts. BC RCMP will probably admit in court that they should have warned drivers on Monday, July 15.

One autopsy will be done in Manitoba. The results will be forwarded to BC. It's all under some branch of the RCMP, so the info will be shared.

Thank you. Will the BC Rcmp forensic team make a presence in Winnipeg do you think? Possibly to safeguard evidence and transport to BC?

Yeah I think his grandma was being truthful about her impression. Likewise, I doubt she saw the full side of him. I don't know how old she is, but if she is anything like my grandparents, she may have had a hard time with the concept of playing video games. And she might have just had a hard time understanding or connecting with his general interests in general, so she would have been clueless about how he was spending his time.

That too. I also highly doubt he was eagerly discussing his interest in Nazism to his grandma the way he was with his dad.

Seems like he spent a lot of time at KM's house, too, rather than inviting KM over. Likewise, the stories from others seemed to involve interacting with BS at their own home or school or elsewhere rather than wherever BS was staying. A lot of kids who grow up in dysfunctional homes can be afraid of inviting people over.

That detail jumped out at me immediately when his dad said Bryer always went to Kam's house but never the other way around. I was like "yeah, 100% chance this dude grew up in a violent and dysfunctional home." (JMO) Even now in adulthood, I'm 27 and living with my husband for 6+ years, and none of my friends have ever been to my apartment, even friends I've known for 15 years. And I'm totally fine with it staying that way. My husband grew up with hoarder parents so that's probably why he's fine with it too. I also still go into panic mode on the one or two times a year that I have family over...even though my family is what caused this in the first place LOL.

This quote from the Star article. IF this is what police said then I think they jumped the gun about declaring McLeod and Schmegelsky suspects in the deaths of Fowler and Deese. IMO a theory is not enough to have named them as suspects or wanted for the murder of the pair. Again I wonder if the lack of charges for Fowler and Deese (before Mcleod/Schmegelsky were found deceased) was because a lack of support from crown in what was presented to them.

RCMP say the case is still open and they are working to confirm their theory as to what happened

‘Murder is not a private matter’: RCMP owe public more answers about suspected B.C. killers, critics say | The Star

Ooh! Maybe. That is the only thing that makes sense on how they were so sure they were dead.

The suspects, all of them, were found 1 km from personal belongings. Their personal belongings were found on the shore 9 km from the car. They were found closer to 8 km from the car.

... no body parts on the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member