Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This

This theory makes sense to me also. And my good friend, who knew nothing about this case until I engaged her in discussion about it one day, was bewildered with it ... at first. Once I added in K&B were avid gamers, she immediately put out the possibility they were living out a game as she was very familiar with how violent some of them are.

In the old days, psychopathic killers had to settle for having active fantasy lives, saving souvenirs and reliving their crimes, looking at *advertiser censored* magazines or violent images, etc. They disconnect from reality into their own world, where they make the rules and do as they please with no consequences.

Their plan to float down the Nelson River to "hijack" a ship in Hudson Bay and escape to Africa or elsewhere sounds exactly like a plot from a video game.

While video games may not cause people to become psychopathic killers, it does a much more efficient job of organizing and escalating those kinds of pathology and aberrant behavior. K&B were likely influenced and inspired by their gaming addiction to take it to the next level. Living so long in that fantasy world kept them from realizing the harsh consequences, even to the point of being less concerned about their own imminent deaths than about making sure everyone knew they "won" at their chosen game.

SBM
The only feelings he has for his victims is the satisfaction and "high" they gave him in killing them. JMO, that's how K&B felt, too. Their victims were just things that gave them a thrill and got them noticed, nothing more.

I totally agree. It's horrifying for most people to think of, and a lot of us, (myself included) want a motive so we can "rationalize" what happened in our heads. They were just a couple of sick-minded losers who did it for the excitement of killing innocent people. Like Johnny Cash sang, "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die."

I have no links right now, but I've read in a few places in the last 24 hours that BS was shot in the back of the head. In which case I agree with you wholeheartedly; it'd be near impossible to shoot oneself in the back of the head.

It also makes my unleashed curiosity wonder whether it was timed, or if BS requested that it be done when he wasn't expecting it.

Either way, it was KM who made the ultimate decision and chose the moment to pull the trigger. I'm almost surprised he followed through and killed himself; he could have surrendered at that point and blamed it all on BS, which would be typical of a narcissist.
I actually read that he did indeed shoot him in the back of the head after I posted that... I think Alan revealed it already. But I wonder the same as you, how it all went down. If not for the fear of being behind bars, it wouldn’t have surprised me either if Kam stayed alive and blamed Bryer.

I actually read that he did indeed shoot him in the back of the head after I posted that... I think Alan revealed it already. But I wonder the same as you, how it all went down. If not for the fear of being behind bars, it wouldn’t have surprised me either if Kam stayed alive and blamed Bryer.
I wonder whether toxicology reports will ever be made public; there are drugs that mass shooters and suicide bombers take before they set out towards certain death to make them numb to the prospect before them. Even the Viking berserkers used hallucinogenic drugs before going into battle. That, and a lot of alcohol.

It makes me wonder if this was why they asked where they could buy alcohol; aka liquid courage. It's just such a bizarre concept to think that they calmly and matter of factly planned to die.

But then, I'm not koo koo that way so I can't wrap my head around it.

Three Canadian sources:

Authorities eventually found the teens’ bodies in dense brush alongside two rifles and a cellphone used to record six videos.

Canada manhunt suspects made videos confessing to murders but no motive found

Star Vancouver reported today that a “cell phone found with bodies of suspects had a final video.”

BC teen suspects may have recorded final message on cell phone found with their bodies

The RCMP declined to comment on the existence of a video but a source confirmed that 30 seconds of the video, left on a cellphone that was found with the bodies, was shared with the suspects’ family members.

B.C. murder suspects recorded ‘last will and testament’ on phone, family member says
Crazy that there are different versions. Reminds me of the game of telephone.. And the presser stated that they recorded the videos on LD's digital camera, which they stole from him. We own an expensive Canon that takes photos and videos, so I'm assuming LD's did, as well.

I suppose the piece of equipment used is irrelevant, in the end, but it makes things murky when different facts are reported by different sources.

Last edited:
I wonder whether toxicology reports will ever be made public; there are drugs that mass shooters and suicide bombers take before they set out towards certain death to make them numb to the prospect before them. Even the Viking berserkers used hallucinogenic drugs before going into battle. That, and a lot of alcohol.

It makes me wonder if this was why they asked where they could buy alcohol; aka liquid courage. It's just such a bizarre concept to think that they calmly and matter of factly planned to die.

But then, I'm not koo koo that way so I can't wrap my head around it.

It said in an article that the RCMP is still waiting for the full coroner's report, which should pinpoint a more exact date of death and also (I assume) should have toxicology. They probably said that in the technical briefing.

Source: RCMP say subjects of nationwide manhunt confessed to killing three people, planned to kill more | The Star

no doubt. Bizarre is the trademark of psychopaths. One shouldn't be surprised .

One of the most endearing things AC Hackett does is, his face crumples a bit when the reporter tries to pin him down on more of the tape. His innate disgust and revulsion in regard to K and B is suddenly evident, written clear across his face .

I wonder if you can pick that tiny second up... It's worth a watch.
I noticed that, too. I actually thought to myself at that moment that any empaths in the room would physically feel his disgust.

@lettertothestars great find! So that was the Dease Lake footage taken Thursday afternoon July 18th at round 3:30 at Super A. Interesting, Bryer was changing his shirts but there's Kam still wearing "Cathulhu." Why was he not changing shirts at least? I mean the smell alone after 2-3 days.. Yikes. The Thompson photo the 22nd, Meadow Lake the 21st and now Dease Lake the 18th. I would have felt so gross.

Jackie Hong on Twitter

Photos that weren’t included in the report. This was on the 17th.

Thanks, the reporter's tweet says the photos were from Porter Creek. It looks like that's just north of Whitehorse.

Google Maps

Another piece in the puzzle. This was after they killed Lucas & Chynna. That puts them near Haines Junction, where the witness said he encountered them trying to stalk him at night, after he pulled over for a nap. After that, they apparently backtracked to the south again, going back through Whitehorse to take Hwy 37 south.

They went pretty far northwest of Whitehorse, the destination they gave their parents to look for work. I wonder why they went so far north before turning south again?

Google Maps

Jackie Hong on Twitter

Photos that weren’t included in the report. This was on the 17th.

Thanks, the reporter's tweet says the photos were from Porter Creek. It looks like that's just north of Whitehorse.

Google Maps

Another piece in the puzzle. This was after they killed Lucas & Chynna. That puts them near Haines Junction, where the witness said he encountered them trying to stalk him at night, after he pulled over for a nap. After that, they apparently backtracked to the south again, going back through Whitehorse to take Hwy 37 south.

They went pretty far northwest of Whitehorse, the destination they gave their parents to look for work. I wonder why they went so far north before turning south again?

Google Maps

@Betty P I thought it was Porter Creek too but note Hong says they only received a report about that. The stills are from Dease Lake outside the Super A gas station.

From Twitter: "The pair were next seen at a gas station in Porter Creek on July 17, around 6:30 p.m. I note here, the News at one point got stills from security footage taken at the Super A appearing to show McLeod and Schmegelsky inside the store with a truck/camper parked outside. Police at the time would not confirm the still's authenticity to us, but it now appears that it was legitimate."

@lettertothestars great find! So that was the Dease Lake footage taken Thursday afternoon July 18th at round 3:30 at Super A. Interesting, Bryer was changing his shirts but there's Kam still wearing "Cathulhu." Why was he not changing shirts at least? I mean the smell alone after 2-3 days.. Yikes. The Thompson photo the 22nd, Meadow Lake the 21st and now Dease Lake the 18th. I would have felt so gross.

I noticed that he had the same shirt on, too. But they may have done laundry at a campsite, and he may not have had the shirt on for days without having washed it.

I'm thinking about the reporting regarding videos taken on a cell phone. As several posters have noted, this differs from the final report which clearly says the videos were taken on LD's camera.

As I recall, the RCMP were very tightlipped about even admitting that the videos existed. We found out about them because someone leaked that family members had been shown the "last will and testament" one.

I think it was AS then pursuing being able to see the video of his son that started the idea that the videos were recorded on a cell phone. Didn't AS say in an interview that they were recorded on Bryer's "pay as you go" Samsung phone?

My guess is that AS was trying to put the pieces together and that he assumed, because he knew his son had the phone that he had given him, that they must have used that phone for the videos. He spoke about it like he knew it for a fact, because he believed it was so.

I think it was as a result of this, that some of the media started to say that the bodies had been found with a cell phone with videos. In today's world, it does not seem like an unreasonable leap to think that if an 18 or 19 year old who is known to have a cell phone is taking videos, they are taking them with a cell phone.

I don't think the RCMP ever said anything publicly about the videos until the September 27 press conference. They indirectly acknowledged the existence of at least the last will and testament one because they had to respond to the legal action brought by AS and his lawyer to allow AS to see the "last will and testament" video. Remember the lawyer tweeted a copy of an email she received from the RCMP? And then we found out about AS signing a non-disclosure agreement and being able to see the video at the RCMP offices?

The only reference to the suspects' cell phones in the final RCMP report is to KM's damaged SIM card being found at the Dease Lake scene. It appears to just be shoddy reporting on the part of some journalists that they are still talking about the videos as if they were recorded on a cell phone found with the bodies.

All MOO.

I had a thought about the gas can Bryer was seen purchasing at the gas station in Whitehorse on the afternoon of the 15th. Could it have been that after killing Lucas and Chynna the previous night, Kam and Bryer wanted to start burning their crime scenes? Perhaps a realization they came to whilst driving off into the late night after the first murder. In other words, burn the bodies and their vehicles after looting them? I don't think they initially wanted to give up the Dodge and Camper. In fact, I have to wonder if they were going to try and kill that person 25 miles West of Haines Junction the night of the 17th and burn him right on the side of the road rather than kill him and steal his vehicle. Here's the thing though, they were seen on the side of the road with the hood up on the pickup on the previous afternoon of the 16th. So it's possible yes, they did want a new vehicle. Still, I have to wonder if they only wanted to kill, loot and burn the crime scenes, then eventually came to the conclusion they have to get rid of the Dodge because it was becoming a serious liability. I'm really curious of how much trouble the pickup gave them before the 16th or if that was the first time it started acting up? I mean consider this, they were in Whitehorse the afternoon of the 15th, then they were East of Whitehorse (just outside of town heading East from Whitehorse as I've come to understand it with this Kilometer Marker 1435) pulled over on the 16th. Then on the evening of the 17th they were back in Whitehorse, then later that same night they were a little over 2 hours West of Whitehorse, West of Haines Junction.

Maybe it enhanced Kam's schtick/idea of himself... he's so tough and rough, he can hack it! He's all in survivor mode maybe.

RCMP in British Columbia - Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation
  • We uncovered no information that predicted or forecasted the homicides that took place in northern BC. Based on the firearms lab results, crime scene examination, timelines of suspects and suspect recorded admissions, we believe that no other suspects are responsible for the three homicides or are involved in anyway. The murders appear to be random and crimes of opportunity.
  • The investigative theory is that McLeod and Schmegelsky came across Lucas Fowler’s van and targeted Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese for unknown reasons. They shot and killed the couple before continuing up into the Yukon.
  • The two returned to BC days later because they were having vehicle issues and came across Leonard Dyck outside of Dease Lake and shot and killed him.
  • The suspects then burned their vehicle to cover up evidence and delay police before stealing Mr. Dyck’s vehicle, money and a number of personal items – all of which facilitated further escape ultimately toward Eastern Canada..
  • Once they reached Manitoba they again burned the stolen vehicle and attempted to continue foot, before they realized their efforts were failing. It is believed that McLeod shot Schmegelsky before shooting himself in a suicide pact.
  • Two rifles were found with the two deceased suspects. These rifles were examined by the firearms lab and were determined to be the same weapons used in the Fort Nelson and Dease Lake homicides, as well as their own deaths. One of the two guns was determined to be same gun legally purchased by the suspects at Cabela’s, outdoor equipment store, in Nanaimo on July 12th.
  • A digital camera belonging to Mr. Dyck was also discovered. It contained six videos and three still images. In the videos, the suspects took responsibility for all three murders. They indicated no remorse for their actions and their intentions to potentially kill others. They also described their intent to commit suicide and their wish to be cremated.
  • These videos do not contain any information regarding the motive behind their actions nor do they provide specifics regarding the murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221