Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remaining quiet was likely the best decision they had made. I can't see any reason why being interviewed would do them any good. Up until the very last moment, they likely believed that their son was innocent or had valid reasons to explain what had happened. Why would they give the media anything to use against them. Look how they took a few pictures of Bryer and a few interviews and painted a picture of him way before they were even proven to be guilty.

I think both Bryer and Kam's family with the exception of Bryer's father want this to go away. They don't want further attention and want to move on as best as they can under these circumstances in peace.
I don't disagree, but knowing small towns eventually word will start trickling out through other sources on Kam and that could be troubling for Kam's family, though I agree it was probably good to say nothing, I also do feel Kam's family may be hoping Bryer is seen as the more 'darker' of the two men and sits back and lets him take the fall. That has happened to this point, but sometimes holding secrets instead of being straight forward open like AS has been, could come back to bite the Mcleods in the future. My gut tells me there are 'secrets' Kam's family holds - Clearly their son wasn't that 'good nice boy' they said he was.

SBM
Sleuthers check this article out look at #1 - 6 different locations for his crime scene.
68466_crime-scenes-sm.jpg

Seems to me the 6 scenes were the trail of cookie crumbs they left (purposely or not.. we'll never know) 50km radius .. It's amazing they brought them all together.

"On July 20, 2019, the initial responding Dease Lake RCMP officer seized a surveillance video from a local store in Dease Lake as the member recalled seeing McLeod’s truck in Dease Lake area on July 18, 2019. This is the only store in town that people could use to fuel up and would have been a probable stop for any travellers. The store video from July 18, 2019 at 3:10 p.m. showed McLeod and Schmegelsky purchasing various items including donut packages, a Coffee Crisp chocolate bar and two pairs of gloves.

Remnants of these items were recovered in two separate areas near the Dease Lake crime scene on July 22 and July 23, 2019. Furthermore, a damaged SIM card belonging to McLeod and his Walmart employee id card was located along with these remnants. Six scenes were identified over a 50 kilometer radius. (Refer to Dyck Homicide 2019-8152 Crime Scene Maps) RCMP in British Columbia - Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation "

(just out ) https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/northern-manitoba-reaction-rcmp-report-1.5301874
'Some of us could have died': Unease remains in northern Manitoba following RCMP report on B.C. suspects Billy Beardy stands near the spot where he found a burning Toyota RAV4 linked to B.C. homicide suspects Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky in July. (Angela Johnston/CBC)
When Billy and his wife first called in about the RAV on fire, he was asked to stay at the scene until authorities got there. That part always upset me thinking they were definitely sitting targets as K&B had to be very close as the car was fully engulfed when they first arrived .. Just crazy jmo

I too find it 'interesting' that Kam shot Bryer in the back of the head. I have no doubt in my view that Kam is a psychopath and was the lead mastermind in everything. I wonder what will happen looking ahead now. I hope there is an inquiry, I also wonder if the Schmegelsky family would even consider filing charges against the McLeods in some civil suit based if anything on the fact that Kam did shoot Bryer in the back of the head. Sometimes the civil lawsuits also uncover additional answers which we aren't aware of. Though I hold both Kam and Bryer equally responsible - I feel publically Bryer was vilified more than Kam through it all, simply because the McLeods 'lawyered up' and stayed silent - which makes me wonder what their own son's private history was in the family and whether they are hoping history will show Bryer as being the instigator to save their own face.

As a psychopathic killer, Kam probably enjoyed the final kill, perhaps planning and talking Bryer into it. Kam then took his own life, staying in complete control of his egocentric murderous drama until the very end.

Bryer moved to PA at age eight, and became fast friends with Kam at the outset. Perhaps Kam chose that friendship with a vulnerable younger boy whom he could control and groom. It always seemed to me that Bryer was the more feminine of the pair, and perhaps the more subservient.

Why Psychopaths Are Effective Killers

Pretty sure in the press conference Hackett said the call about Lucas and Chynna came in at 7:23am. So that’s probably just a typo in the report.

Yep, probably a copy and paste error.

July 15: At approximately 7:19 a.m., Fort Nelson RCMP respond to a report of two deceased persons ... Here’s an updated timeline of the northern B.C. murders and manhunt

Friday, July 19: Dease Lake RCMP responded to reports that an unoccupied red and grey Dodge pickup truck with a camper was on fire ...
Northern B.C. homicides and manhunt: A timeline

28 Sept presser: Hackett said in the Q and A portion of the presser, “The discovery of their bodies happened at 7:23. It took 3 1/2 hours from Fort Nelson police officers to arrive at the scene."

Last edited:
the report says " single entry/exit wound " which is a bit confusing. Perhaps the coroner turned over the body, and discovered a single location where the bullet entered OR exited. The other location was perhaps not recognizable, due to other types of injuries on top.

I think it means he was shot once, there being a single entry wound and a single exit wound. He was probably shot in the back and the exit wound was on his front.

Well for starters, BS bought the jerry can and wore the cowboy hat, not KM as she states but where did she read this in the final report? Did I really miss this?

"According to police, Schmegelsky had hunted with his father in the area a number of times."

First para. obviously an error.

Maybe her info about BS hunting with his father came from the technical briefing before the presser. It's not in the report.

Further to what Hackett said in the presser re the bodies being discovered at 7:23:

That time is wrong. The bodies were discovered before 7:23.

Trevor Pierre got a phone call from his boss, Alandra Hull, at around 6:45 when she told him to go and secure the scene until RCMP arrived. I can only assume that 7:23 was the time she contacted RCMP.

I don't know if they moved the car from Prof's body, or moved the body from Profs car, probably will never know, but there is 2klms between them.

I've wondered about his body being moved ever since I saw the image of the muddy tyre tracks. Have a look at it again. Those orange/red markings on the ground at the top and right-hand side mean something, and obviously have nothing to do with shell casings. I think the large mark at the top may be his final resting place. If he was also hit with a blunt object, perhaps it was the crowbar. OMG, I hated saying that.

LD - Tyre tracks and footprints in muddy ground.JPG

"According to police, Schmegelsky had hunted with his father in the area a number of times."

This error, and the others in the report might be simply bias, conscious or not. A LOT of people think BS "looks" more psycho, and that's bad enough, but combined with people also thinking KM "looks" innocent, it sets up snap judgements. When these types of biases --basing judgements, or commenting on how someone looks, become part of the narrative, it reinforces the biases.

It's unchecked bias, not just poor proof reading IMHO.

Last edited:
If their end game was legit to hijack a ship maybe they did plan ahead. Most likely Kam had access to some quality wet gear from his home or dad’s business.
Foul weather gear is really only needed on a ship if you have reasons to be out on deck during heavy weather. If they had hijacked a ship, they would have been busy holding the Captain and mates, who are responsible for navigation and getting from point A to point B, on the bridge as hostages.

If they hijacked a boat, for instance, a large sailboat, they would have had to buy a LOT of food and stores (supplies) to get them where they were going. Not to mention that they would not only need marine charts, but they would need to know how to read them. Not so simple or easy.

But, to your point, they were obviously living in la la land so perhaps they thought it was a viable plan requiring foul weather gear.

Last edited:
Also that explains why Bryer's dad kept talking about "where did the guns come from?" Bryer had probably told him before that Kam and his family were into hunting, and that Kam had a gun license. I get the sense his dad was probably kind of anti-gun even before all this.
I also got the sense that there was a thinly veiled laying of blame on KM during AS's rant about "...where did the guns come from?" As if to say, if you want to know the motive, look at the guy that provided the guns, thus attempting to swerve the gaze from his son in terms of responsibility.

Trigger warning.

They may have just wanted to extend the experience. Maybe the previous murders were too quick. It's unpleasant to see it how they may have seen the requirements that they wanted that had significance to them.
I, too, had visions of a cat with a mouse before the cat ends it. Ugh

I don't disagree, but knowing small towns eventually word will start trickling out through other sources on Kam and that could be troubling for Kam's family, though I agree it was probably good to say nothing, I also do feel Kam's family may be hoping Bryer is seen as the more 'darker' of the two men and sits back and lets him take the fall. That has happened to this point, but sometimes holding secrets instead of being straight forward open like AS has been, could come back to bite the Mcleods in the future. My gut tells me there are 'secrets' Kam's family holds - Clearly their son wasn't that 'good nice boy' they said he was.

I don't feel the McLeod family is trying to lay blame with their silence because they've maintained silence all along. Nobody has accused any other family member of assigning blame by way of remaining silent.

We have no indication that they have anything but cooperative with the RCMP and that's who they should be talking to and the RCMP may have advised direct family members to avoid interviews during an active investigation. The very first thing police tell anyone who could be called as a witness in a trial is that they must not speak to the media or anyone else because it may taint their testimony.

I don't believe that As has been one bit open and honest with the media. He's used them to assign blame every chance he can. He blamed his ex, he's blamed the RCMP, he's blamed bullying and his last interview seemed to lay blame at the feet of the McLeod family regarding the firearms. The unfortunate truth is that two young men chose to kill three innocent people and the only people to blame are them and the human casualties they've left behind are many, including their own families.

SBM
Then, there's that still photo from their cellphone which rcmp said showed Kam only from the waist up. What a strange, superfluous description to add to an ordinary photo. But, wasn't Kam found leaning up against a tree? Maybe dead?
I thought that description odd as well, but then I read somewhere that photo of Kam was a selfie. But who knows for sure.

I thought that description odd as well, but then I read somewhere that photo of Kam was a selfie. But who knows for sure.
It was--it was from the chest up, not the waist up, and RCMP said it seemed to be taken by him, cop-speak for selfie. :)

It was interesting to me that Bryer seemed to be the one who did most of the filming of the videos but Kam was the one who took the pictures.

Then, I wonder how much and what kind of food they had. I've gone backpacking and it's hard to carry enough food for more than a few days, even when it's freeze-dried and you have a lightweight cooking stove, fuel, pots and easy access to water. These guys were big eaters, I think.

The Broughtons saw LF and CD having a picnic while waiting for the van to unflood. They stopped and asked if they needed assistance and then gave the couple some food before leaving and I bet the teens stole any food LF and CD had in the van. Later, they probably ate all the food LD had in the RAV4 ... maybe the pork chops. I haven't read of them buying food anywhere, but it's highly likely they bought snacks each time they filled up with gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member