Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly...I don't know what to make of that.

I find it interesting that apparently Bryer didn't talk to his family members after the murders (he last talked to his dad on the 12th and his grandma on either the 13th or 14th) whereas Kam did. I don't know what that means if anything.

It could have been an "up yours," same with leaving the Walmart ID near Professor Dyck's murder scene...although I'm sure the police could figure it out anyway.

Despite years of following unidentified persons cases, I also am not sure what happens to facial hair during decomposition. But I find it odd that there was much of anything of them left given the amount of insects in the area.
Agreed, I am scratching my head on the video camera ... I guess there were no plans initially.
That is interesting about Bryer not talking with family after the murders. Maybe he couldn’t act normal as well as Kam? Or maybe he was beyond talking to family at that point.
I definitely thought the Walmart ID was an “up yours”... but, I mean, of all things. It’s almost comical (almost).
Definitely surprised also that their bodies were even remotely intact, given THAT environment!
MOO

I thought about that too! If the Professor didn’t have his camera, a lot more questions may never have been answered. It’s like they got the idea to tape some of their escapades only when they found that camera.

It's weird to get the sim card out of Kam's phone, leave a trail of every possible identifying item they owned, burn their computers but make their phones disappear.

Last edited:
I will also add, the electrical tape racing stripes has been another lingering oddity for me. On one hand I do think Kam and Bryer actually believed it would make them less distinguishable, yet why not buy spray paint? On the other, I wonder if they respected having such a nice vehicle, they must keep up the appearance or they feared a trashy spray paint job would make them stick out even more so? I must admit, they did do a pretty meticulous job with the tape judging by the Fairview photo. The Meadow Lake one is blurry but you can still see the tape.

My first thought when I saw the racing stripes (back when we weren’t allowed to share the photo) was they pulled a smart one! Adding the stripes helps in a vehicle description, it’s an obvious feature. So when someone thinks they saw the wanted RAV or someone does try to call it in to Police because they recognize the people inside it one of the first things to describe the vehicle would be the black racing stripes. So now it doesn’t fit the description of the suspects vehicle and taken less seriously.

In BC we have two license plates and the police reports only describe the found ones as singular which is interesting. The back plate has the registration/expiry sticker.

Once I was a passenger in a truck and we were pulled over by police and guns drawn. Turned out someone had swiped our front and back plates and replaced them with a stolen vehicle that matched our vehicle description. It was a smart move (to buy time and have our vehicle tracked to random places of caught on camera). Scared the hell out of me at the time. Since then I always check plates. Anyways, I had thought maybe they would have switched plates at some point.

Because I always felt like they only lived 3-5 days. Considering how close they were to their original location, I feel like the police would have found them sooner if they had lived for a while.
Yes on July 29th after they found hundreds of bullets scattered around.
SBM
I think 3-5 days tops .... I know they recognized their remains but I think it’s still possible.
It’s hard to believe how many bullets they had! I recall awhile back many were speculating they may have run out, but it seems like at least they planned well in this area. MOO

Behind and catching up! Someone might've done this already and I haven't read it yet, I'm on and off the computer.

I have Photoshop and inverted the gun pic, then upped the contrast and levels. Really hard to make out. Could be Schmegelsky... does anyone see the word brothers? Just at a glance without staring too hard, I thought the etches look similar to that word but could be my eyes.

upload_2019-10-8_18-37-28.png

Anyway, I was wondering that too, if the reporter meant plate and forgot the "s?" But again, why bring them at all, unless they really did think removing plates was all you had to do and either didn't understand what a VIN was or thought perhaps they would get lucky and the RAV would burn hot enough to melt it and make the VIN unrecognizable? They did use gasoline again I'm assuming? Is that even possible to melt a VIN?

I looked it up online and apparently a VIN can be melted, but I don't think it was in this case.

I have to say though, as ridiculous as the racing stripes were it did have a ring of artistic creative genius to it.

I mean, it's definitely original, if nothing else. It's really like a misapplication of creative potential if you think about it.

When I read about the little trail of items they were leaving behind, the first thing that came to mind was they may have been losing their mental acuity from hypothermia, dehydration and starvation. It sounds like they got rained on for days. Hypothermia definitely would have affected their reasoning and decision making which were already pretty terrible.

Good point. I wonder how much the environmental conditions affected their mental state. Especially with the heavy rains. There was an old lady who got lost in the same general area for four days during that time, and apparently she was completely delusional when they found her. And she had lived in the area her entire life and had experience with the terrain.

The dates that stick out the most for me are: July 28th (The evening they heard gunshots, then again that was York Landing correct?)

Yes that was York Landing, 100 miles away. And the RCMP said that came from their officers trying to find each other in the woods or something?

@NJSleuth91 do you remember what day they said they were considered no longer a threat?

I believe it was a couple of days before their bodies were found, maybe August 4th or 5th.

I'm still leaning on the 31st but the 28th-29th resonates as well. My coworker is still firm on it being the 3rd/4th of August.

I guess it depends on if the police really did hear the gunshots or not. Because the police were within 1km of their location since August 2nd.

Interesting, I always found that window of death they gave as so vague and open for interpretation. Almost like there was some embarrassment and regret it took so long to find them. "...may have lived for few a days...but had been dead for several..."

I'm almost wondering if they're withholding the date of death (because I don't believe for a second they can't estimate it, come on, we've all watched Forensic Files here) because they're embarrassed that these guys were within five miles of their last location for X amount of days and a huge manhunt still couldn't find them. Especially if they were alive past August 2nd and the police were right there.

One more quick aside that stood out, for all that driving, Kam never got pulled over for speeding and never hit a deer or a moose.

He must have been very focused....

Agreed, I am scratching my head on the video camera ... I guess there were no plans initially.

Or maybe they did plan to film on their phones but decided to use the camera instead once they found it because it can't be tracked at all and the battery lasts way longer.

That is interesting about Bryer not talking with family after the murders. Maybe he couldn’t act normal as well as Kam? Or maybe he was beyond talking to family at that point.

Could be a combination of both. Who knows.

I definitely thought the Walmart ID was an “up yours”... but, I mean, of all things. It’s almost comical (almost).

I always saw it as a dramatic teen angst statement. "I was just an insignificant cog in the Walmart machine, and now I'm a notorious killer on the run!"

BTW meant to respond to these earlier....

Nobody at 18 and 19 year of age should hate themselves to the point they want to end their own lives, never mind murder 3 people. How do two teens with no criminal record, no history of violence and by most described as good people choose this?

There are some theories in psychology and criminology that violence and hatred towards others is oftentimes an extension of violence and hatred towards the self. Like the two are inextricably linked in many cases. I could see that in this case.

Mental illness is a horrible, invisible disability that can devastate entire families. It lies and distorts and is painful. I know that we all are tainted by our personal biases, and I tend to see most people as doing the best they can with the resources they have. Assuming mental illnesses were at play here, I only wish that these boys had found help long ago. So much pain and tragedy would have been avoided.

People underestimate how much even depression can mess someone up and distort their perspective. Clearly these two were severely depressed, whatever else was wrong with them -- nobody goes on an "extinction burst" like this, ending in their own death at such a young age, otherwise. It's also a trait common to most spree killers. And depression is linked to a threefold increase in the risk of violence: Depression and violence: a Swedish population study

Clearly they also had some antisocial tendencies, but my theory is, I think they were able to keep those tendencies under control for years, until their depression got bad enough that it pushed them over the edge. They stopped caring about having a future and they also became more self-focused and lost the capacity to empathize. Which are all things that can happen in that mental state.

I have to say though, as ridiculous as the racing stripes were it did have a ring of artistic creative genius to it. @Jan424 you took the words right out off my keyboard about why Kam left his driver's license. I've been trying to use those dates to help narrow down the time of death. I think Kam may have forgotten he even had his wallet in his backpack or it was in the back pocket of a pair of jeans in his backpack. Perhaps even it was getting too heavy to lug all that heavy ammo and he just dumped the whole pack not realizing it was also in their along with his clothes. When I read about the little trail of items they were leaving behind, the first thing that came to mind was they may have been losing their mental acuity from hypothermia, dehydration and starvation. It sounds like they got rained on for days. Hypothermia definitely would have affected their reasoning and decision making which were already pretty terrible. Alternatively, yes, he may have concluded he no longer needed any of it; ammo, wallet, clothes.. Off to the river's edge we go. The dates that stick out the most for me are: July 28th (The evening they heard gunshots, then again that was York Landing correct?) and July 31st. @NJSleuth91 do you remember what day they said they were considered no longer a threat? Was that the 29th? I'm still leaning on the 31st but the 28th-29th resonates as well. My coworker is still firm on it being the 3rd/4th of August. Interesting, I always found that window of death they gave as so vague and open for interpretation. Almost like there was some embarrassment and regret it took so long to find them. "...may have lived for few a days...but had been dead for several..." One more quick aside that stood out, for all that driving, Kam never got pulled over for speeding and never hit a deer or a moose.
SBM
As soon as I heard the date they found the backpack, I started thinking about any meaning for it to be left behind. Clothing, wallet, bullets. It was found on August 1st.... I get that they were dumping stuff while they ran, but not having any clothes or wallet... what’s left? That’s why I keep thinking late July they died (last few days). I’m curious why your coworker is firm on the 3rd or 4th of Aug. But IIRC, the search seemed to just go nowhere at one point, and there was talk they left the area. I think they could have been dead then. I admit all those dates have me spinning though.
And yes I agree it’s very possible Kam may have forgotten all about his wallet... he could have kept any cash in his pants pocket. I hadn’t considered hypothermia either! They were definitely out in the rain, Kam even had rain pants on. And really, I’m pretty sure his camping excursions back home in PA were nothing like being out in the Manitoba wilderness... like comparing apples and oranges!
So, @SovereignSnake , you think the wallet was just kind of forgotten in the dumped backpack?
And also agree, it’s no small wonder he never got a speeding ticket or hit a wild animal. JMO

Adding 2 more enhanced pics - one grayscale and played with levels a bit more. Still hard to see:

View attachment 208237View attachment 208238

I’m seeing something else but I think I might have to hop on PS to get a better feel. I see an S F R M/N E R S. But I’m on my phone so can’t really get a good look. Have you flipped it upside down to try reading it? It’s an old trick I learned from reading architects/engineer writing.. if you turn the word upside down it can be easier to decipher.

I’m seeing something else but I think I might have to hop on PS to get a better feel. I see an S F R M/N E R S. But I’m on my phone so can’t really get a good look. Have you flipped it upside down to try reading it? It’s an old trick I learned from reading architects/engineer writing.. if you turn the word upside down it can be easier to decipher.

Will try the upside down trick!

ETA: photo, not seeing much!

upload_2019-10-8_20-16-7.pngupload_2019-10-8_20-16-29.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics