Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not a matter of “supposedly”. No debate there, it’s a proven fact fame and notoriety can serve as a motivator.

Fame-seeking killers
“Lankford analyzed the writings and declarations of mass shooters around the world between 1966 and 2015. He found that in 24 such cases, perpetrators mentioned fame and media coverage as key motivators for carrying out the killings.

"I'll see you on National T.v. [sic]," wrote the gunman who in 2011 killed six people and wounded 13 others, including Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, during a congressional outreach event outside a Tucson supermarket.

"When you see me on the news, you'll know who I am," the 19-year-old accused in last year's mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., said in a chilling video....”

(more examples - )
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/new-zealand-mass-murder-no-notoriety-naming-killers-1.5063397

Ok so again...then how does one reconcile that with being part of a true crime forum discussing these crimes in detail. By this logic, we're making Kam and Bryer more notorious by discussing their crimes, increasing the risk of copycat killers. And creating a market for these stories in the media, of course.

I bet you grinned wryly when you pressed "Post Reply".

Perhaps you even snickered.

Can neither confirm nor deny :)

Not much for the general public to study in this case when the perps took their secrets to the grave.
That's why the person's history should be looked at thoroughly, and brutally honest participation from those who know the person should be encouraged.

There usually seem to be events in their past, especially in childhood and/or developmental periods, which influence the their decision to act out.

Being bullied or socially outcast growing up is a common history, as well as improperly treated or undiagnosed mental illness.

Ok so again...then how does one reconcile that with being part of a true crime forum discussing these crimes in detail. By this logic, we're making Kam and Bryer more notorious by discussing their crimes, increasing the risk of copycat killers. And creating a market for these stories in the media, of course.

I said the exact same thing, and even used the word reconcile!

lol... how long before the accusation flies that we are the same person using multiple accounts?

I even use the three dots now and again, but I use a space afterward. Is that possibly to throw people off?

Yet, the subject matter of this thread happened in Canada.

Mass shootings happen all over. The U.S. happens to be a free country, with sometimes difficult access to health care, and sometimes easy access to firearms.

Are you suggesting that other countries aren't free? Also, KM and BS didn't commit a mass shooting.

I said the exact same thing, and even used the word reconcile!

lol... how long before the accusation flies that we are the same person using multiple accounts?

I even use the three dots now and again, but I use a space afterward. Is that possibly to throw people off?

FWIW. I am positive you are not the same person.

Are you suggesting that other countries aren't free? Also, KM and BS didn't commit a mass shooting.
I am absolutely suggesting, even factually stating, that the United States is a free-er country than Canada and those in the continents mentioned.

No they didn't commit a mass shooting, but that is moot. The discussion was copycats, killing, and inspiration.

My point was those with mental illness don't have as readily available medical support, but have access to firearms. My point was people are free-er to do as they please, as they have the freedom and the population to move about more freely. Therefore, it is a little easier to commit a mass murder there.

I don’t think anybody is criticizing people for talking about details of crimes that are released as that’s what we do here. But that’s different than criticism directed toward police for not releasing more information. They have every right to have concern over copycat crimes with consideration to ensuring public safety so it’s a justifiable reason why police are cautious in how much and what information they release through the media. The topic of copycat crime is nothing new. Google “Dexter” if you’re interested.

In the US the stats so far this year are nothing to scoff at. While the US population is much larger than Canada, the almost continual news headlines involving gun violence might be the reason it was mentioned as a pacifist, the Professor chose not to travel in the US. As a Canadian, I’m confident I’m speaking for the majority when I say we don’t want to go down this same road.

“The total number of deadly mass shootings in the United States in 2019 comes out to an average of one every 15 days.”
There have been at least 21 deadly mass shootings in the US so far in 2019

I agree, you sure don't want to become the US, gun-wise. It's guns, though, not publicity that is the real core of the issue.

Kam and Bryer could not have done what they did without guns.

And their crime was publicized just enough to make it sound really romantic to a criminal minded fame seeking perp. The only way to stop that would be to fail to warn people that killers were on the loose in a particular area. And to suppress any information linking crimes together (to suppress the entire notion of spree killing?)

Millions of people were subjected to the same media events and coverage of killings as Cunanan, but only this one lone individual acted. He would have been a criminal anyway, he became a spree killer through opportunism and not getting caught right away (much like Bryer and Kam). I doubt Bryer and Kam knew much about Cunanan, much less studied him.

We do have more gun violence than Canada, but the vast majority of it is not stranger homicide, in fact, it's among people who know each other, often family members. The overall pattern of violence is similar to Canada and UK (there are, obviously, serial/spree killers in all of these places). It's the guns that make American killers so much more effective. Two teens stabbed yesterday in Milton Keynes, UK (both dead, I believe, don't know the details). Knife crime instead of gun crime, but the same gritty type of street/club/party crime.

Double murder inquiry after two boys stabbed in Milton Keynes

I don't think the Columbine killers "studied" other mass shooters, either. I think they enjoyed planning things on their own and were filled with rage. They had serious cognitive malfunctions as well. I think Kam and Bryer were much like the Columbine killers, but that neither pair needed to hear about other killers to end up where they did.

Last edited:
The more I listen to the debate of what the red flags are in regards to KM and BS I am seeing two parts to their quest that might even be worth analyzing separately to form a conclusion for the joint actions of murder and then their suicide - for the sake of future prevention.

The generation following behind them is up against new and in their face challenges besides the home upbringing and school dynamics.

Currently our youth in Canada are bombarded with a climate emergency telling them we are basically doomed in 20 years and that they have to stand up and fight NOW because they are the ones stuck with the outcome, along with that they are faced with opposing views and extreme arguing between adults that even strike out a 16 year old girl - our youth are seeing/experiencing this at face value. Then we have social media pressures, vaping, world conflict, behaviour from top leaders, along with home life, education, etc. Is this more prominent now to our youth now then it was 5-20 years ago? Are they aware?

Is it fair to say that the stress and anxiety for our youth is rising. What will this do for their mental health? Who will they lash out at? What can be done to catch the red flags?

Why did the outlook of a future seem so hopeless for KM and BS?

The more I listen to the debate of what the red flags are in regards to KM and BS I am seeing two parts to their quest that might even be worth analyzing separately to form a conclusion for the joint actions of murder and then their suicide - for the sake of future prevention.

The generation following behind them is up against new and in their face challenges besides the home upbringing and school dynamics.

Currently our youth in Canada are bombarded with a climate emergency telling them we are basically doomed in 20 years and that they have to stand up and fight NOW because they are the ones stuck with the outcome, along with that they are faced with opposing views and extreme arguing between adults that even strike out a 16 year old girl - our youth are seeing/experiencing this at face value. Then we have social media pressures, vaping, world conflict, behaviour from top leaders, along with home life, education, etc. Is this more prominent now to our youth now then it was 5-20 years ago? Are they aware?

Is it fair to say that the stress and anxiety for our youth is rising. What will this do for their mental health? Who will they lash out at? What can be done to catch the red flags?

Why did the outlook of a future seem so hopeless for KM and BS?

I think you nailed it. As I posted earlier, youthful suicide is on the rise in North America. College age students, in particular, have seen sharp increases in suicide and suicidal thinking. All of the factors you list are the same ones that researchers give, based on evidence. Adult leadership seems hopeless, even laughable (and tabloid style news is only a part of that; SM also plays a big role). As a sub-heading under that one, I'd add that many people "let it all hang out" these days (so, Trump's sexual scandals are just out there - everyone knows about them, whereas for my generation, adults like Reagan scrupulously hid any evidence of marital infidelity, as best they could anyway).

The fact that the predictions of late stage oil production and the effects of fossil fuels given back in the 70's and 80's are now demonstrably true (or things are even worse), gives more weight to the current predictions (which seem to have actual climate evidence that's in-your-face for many people). Under this heading, we also have overpopulation in general (and the very teens and young adults who are so seriously anxious and depressed are the ones who came on board Planet Earth after the population bell already started to ring; we are reaching carrying capacity and it's much more evidence in the Third World than in North America, but we see it in lack of well-paying jobs, a decline in the purchasing power of dollars and the relative loss of buying power especially for minimum wage workers. Parents make it worse by saying things like "Back in the day, I had it tougher" when from my view that's demonstrably not true. There are fewer scholarships, tuition has raised, Canada has a better system, but it is also more selective than the US system (where almost anyone can pick up college units for nearly free, if they stay in their home state and live at home).

Smart kids suffer a lot. I know many potential Kams and Bryers (game-obsessed, slightly delusional, energetic, smart, hyperfocused on some small set of things usually related to games or gaming). 18-19 is the most awkward age for a boy, as well, since he can't very well date 16 year olds (what with so much focus on not romantically/sexually approaching under age girls) and almost no 18-19 year old girl/woman in her right mind would date an inexperienced, awkward 18 year old boy when they could date a man who is about to graduate college or has a steady job of some kind. Girls go into hyper dating mode at 18-19, aren't settling down and going steady, and increasingly, do not want marriage or children. That's great because it has lowered birth rates, but socially and psychologically, it's a Brave New World. Hormones are at their peak, it's the traditional mating time for the human species, which has been around for 200,000 years and hasn't had to handle this pace of change.

No wonder so many are depressed, anxious, scared, suicidal. They aren't grown up enough to have the ego strength to find patience, dedication and self-awareness in the face of such a troubled planet.

I think it's a more nuanced concept than simply banning people from talking about a crime. It's more about not glorifying murder-suicide.

For example, if these teens had been caught just before they pulled the trigger, their crimes and motives would have been presented by the prosecution in the context of a trial, where they would have been found guilty and received a very harsh sentence.

Those aren't the criminals who are admired and imitated: it's the ones who 'get away with it', either by escaping, hiding their crime so successfully they can't be prosecuted, or choosing suicide.

Also, the main concern is dramatic headlines and endless TV coverage about the attacker, showing the manifesto and specific details in a way that promotes how clever, bold and daring they were.

It seems a very sensible decision to not release or discuss the self-made video manifesto, created by the killers for the sole purpose of gratifying their egos, in the belief that the manifesto would live forever on Youtube and receive millions of hits.

There's no comparison with WS, which most of these guys would find tedious in the extreme and doesn't simplify and therefore potentially glorify killers.

I agree, you sure don't want to become the US, gun-wise. It's guns, though, not publicity that is the real core of the issue.

Kam and Bryer could not have done what they did without guns.

And their crime was publicized just enough to make it sound really romantic to a criminal minded fame seeking perp. The only way to stop that would be to fail to warn people that killers were on the loose in a particular area. And to suppress any information linking crimes together (to suppress the entire notion of spree killing?)

Millions of people were subjected to the same media events and coverage of killings as Cunanan, but only this one lone individual acted. He would have been a criminal anyway, he became a spree killer through opportunism and not getting caught right away (much like Bryer and Kam). I doubt Bryer and Kam knew much about Cunanan, much less studied him.

We do have more gun violence than Canada, but the vast majority of it is not stranger homicide, in fact, it's among people who know each other, often family members. The overall pattern of violence is similar to Canada and UK (there are, obviously, serial/spree killers in all of these places). It's the guns that make American killers so much more effective. Two teens stabbed yesterday in Milton Keynes, UK (both dead, I believe, don't know the details). Knife crime instead of gun crime, but the same gritty type of street/club/party crime.

Double murder inquiry after two boys stabbed in Milton Keynes

I don't think the Columbine killers "studied" other mass shooters, either. I think they enjoyed planning things on their own and were filled with rage. They had serious cognitive malfunctions as well. I think Kam and Bryer were much like the Columbine killers, but that neither pair needed to hear about other killers to end up where they did.
Yes, well said. I agree with everything but the gun control.

That is a completely other debate.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "freedom to move around more freely"?
lol... goofy choice of words, but meaning that given the population and populated areas, there is more opportunity to move around, do more, and more choices available to Americans than in other countries.

Canada, for example, has few metropolitan areas, vast distances between those areas, restrictive laws, high taxes, and limited economic opportunities.

The same crimes are more easily planned and executed in the US than in Canada.

lol... goofy choice of words, but meaning that given the population and populated areas, there is more opportunity to move around, do more, and more choices available to Americans than in other countries.

Canada, for example, has few metropolitan areas, vast distances between those areas, restrictive laws, high taxes, and limited economic opportunities.

may I enquire as to what other countries you have resided in that underscores your conclusion? and for how long?? …

If your conclusions are based on MSN or your actual lived experience , that would be significant, I think... ..

As an aside, I found the USA to be almost Rumanianesque in it's capacity to lock people down in one frightful area without possibility of transfer, plus with a minimum wage of $7.00. . I have no idea, no idea at all how people manage to exist on that, considering the prices people have to pay, and of course, the ultimate imprisoning of a population , that with no access to health care without extreme financial penalties.

Never, ever have I seen more homeless people sleeping on the streets, than right across the USA, from California to Maine, it was incredible, and I include Nigeria in that calculation. I couldn't hardly believe it, and women, also. Women!

If, and it's a big if, there are 'more choices' available to Americans, although I can't , for the life of me see more, or even the very basic choices other nations incorporate then why is that choice overwhelmingly one of a murderous nature? . what are these 'choices ' that the USA has more of? .. Certainly the almost compulsory edict to carry guns has a huge part to play in those stats, but behind that, is the desire to kill .

The biggest cause of death in young pregnant women in the USA is murder. That is a statistic that denotes a very great lack of freedom for a certain section of the community. It also denotes a determination from another section of the USA community to perpetrate this crime.

In one very important sense, K and B were more free than any teenager in the USA, in that they were independently ( they were 18, hence their own medical covereage ) able to access any and all medical professionals at any time, absolutely privately and without parental supervision, and without any financial penalty, which was their unalienable right.

Particularly, since they were, by anyone's perspective , taxpayers themselves, they must have paid tax on the 5 weeks earnings they had at Walmart. I imagine they saw their payslips and it only increased their resentments that they fed persistently. 'what?? , I'm paying this much tax for what? . no way, I 'm not gonna work, then'.. a position of ignorance but one that is found among teenagers everywhere.

I wanted to add, I think 'glory' is a concept that very much appeals to young men, in particular. They used to be eager to sign up to go to war and die for home and country. I think the same type of 'glory' can be associated with violent crime, but also with sports, firefighting, rap culture, drugs, high finance, IT or hacking, hot cars and motorcycles, winning over pretty girls, etc, etc.

I think collectively and individually we probably need to do a better job of trying to connect all young men with opportunities for 'glory' that suit their personality, are socially acceptable, and don't involve killing people (or getting into drugs). A job at Walmart isn't glorious. Playing airsoft in the woods is only ok up to a certain age, then they needed to graduate to something more challenging. But not what they thenselves chose.

I think it's a more nuanced concept than simply banning people from talking about a crime. It's more about not glorifying murder-suicide.

The claim was made that simply discussing the facts of the case in the media increases publicity and notoriety. That certain facts (although it is still unclear which ones) should not be discussed in the media at all because those facts are "dangerous."

What we do on true crime forums is discuss the facts of the case, often past the point where the general public has largely stopped paying attention. We also create a market for the media covering these cases, by reading and sharing articles, etc. Therefore if anyone is giving the media an impetus to keep covering the case, it is people like us. Sorry but that is just a fact.

For example, if these teens had been caught just before they pulled the trigger, their crimes and motives would have been presented by the prosecution in the context of a trial, where they would have been found guilty and received a very harsh sentence.

Those aren't the criminals who are admired and imitated: it's the ones who 'get away with it', either by escaping, hiding their crime so successfully they can't be prosecuted, or choosing suicide.

Many imprisoned criminals have admirers. There are entire online fandoms dedicated to obsessing over various criminals in prison, writing them letters, etc. I was reading the other day that even Nikolas Cruz has an online fandom...now that truly just baffles me, but...apparently this is a thing. Apparently his brother gets tons of messages on Instagram from admirers fawning over Nikolas Cruz and him by extension (which he ignores).

And if we're talking about criminals in general, not just mass/spree killers, there are definitely tons of criminals who are/were imprisoned and have a fandom...Charles Manson and Ted Bundy, anyone? Or for the more ideologically inclined, Timothy McVeigh and the Unabomber have their share of fans to this day. Etc. You can even buy t-shirts with Manson's face on them, so I've heard.

Also, the main concern is dramatic headlines and endless TV coverage about the attacker, showing the manifesto and specific details in a way that promotes how clever, bold and daring they were.

Ok, so...where do we draw the line? What is the incorrect amount of facts to release that will create copycat killers? Every single one of us is going to have a different interpretation of where the line should be, and I don't think we'll ever agree on that.

But if certain members of the public are that concerned about it, and think that the risks or drawbacks of discussing and publicizing the case outweigh the benefits, I don't know why they're discussing the case at all. It seems to me that their behavior is contradictory to their philosophies. Like, why risk creating copycats, or giving these guys publicity?

Especially if certain people don't think it's even possible for anything at all to be gained, in terms of greater understanding of how to prevent these crimes or notice warning signs, by discussing these cases openly. Then what is their impetus for continuing to discuss it? What are they getting out of it? What do they think society is getting out of it?

It seems a very sensible decision to not release or discuss the self-made video manifesto, created by the killers for the sole purpose of gratifying their egos, in the belief that the manifesto would live forever on Youtube and receive millions of hits.

And yet it was discussed in the report, and in the media by extension, and by all of us on here in detail. And in fact, it was arguably discussed more than it would have been if we saw it, because we spent a lot of time speculating on how they said things, what it meant when they said x and y, what their demeanor was like, what "identification behavior" they were displaying, whether they said other things that weren't mentioned in the report, etc.

So again...where is the line?

Also, we have no idea if they created the manifesto with the belief that it would be released on Youtube. You would think the easier thing to do, if that was their goal, would be to record it before they went into the woods and upload it on Youtube themselves. But they didn't. As far as we know from what has been released, they didn't say anything about everyone seeing the videos or anything like that. So we really have no clue who they expected to see it. If they did any research they would see that the police didn't release the Basement Tapes et al. and therefore should not have expected for their videos to be released either.

@LoisLane @10ofRods

(This stuff isn't necessarily about Kam and Bryer's cases specifically, but more of a general statement about the avenues for prevention of random mass violence.)

I think a big part of it is not just that there are massive looming problems in society -- there have always been massive looming problems in society -- but also that we have a very alienated culture. We don't have strong communities. We have an epidemic of loneliness, according to public health researchers. We have chronic wage stagnation, a lack of opportunity even for people who succeed academically -- even more so for people who don't. Especially in Port Alberni, from what I've heard.

It's very easy for people to be forgotten about and fall through the cracks. It's very easy for people to feel like they are in the face of a vast, faceless, uncaring society, and that nobody really cares what happens to them. And if you think society doesn't care about you, you're going to not care right back.

And, we do have a mental health crisis. There are huge gaps in treatment. I can tell you from personal experience...I've been trying to get adequate treatment and diagnosis for long-standing mental health issues for months, and I'm actively looking for resources, and there's really just not much out there. 45 minutes a week of therapy is not enough for a lot of people. And that's assuming you even have a good therapist...most people with mental health issues will tell you, there's a lot of bad ones out there.

For this reason, one thing I'm still interested in learning is whether Kam and Bryer had any mental health treatment or diagnoses. And if so, whether the signs were missed. Because if you look at a lot of these mass killers' histories, you can see insufficiencies in the mental health system. Kip Kinkel went to therapy, like, nine times, and his parents then withdrew him because "it seemed like he wasn't depressed anymore"...turns out he was not only still depressed, but also undiagnosed psychotic! From what I've read, Eric Harris' therapist has tons of awful reviews online by former patients. Nikolas Cruz clearly should have been in long-term inpatient treatment (IMO) after years of terrorizing the neighborhood, torturing animals, having to be patted down for weapons by the school resource officer daily, but...there was just nothing out there. Why not? Mental illness is the biggest problem facing our society IMO, with the biggest economic and social costs...why are we just letting it happen?

Hmm .. non sequitur.

I wanted to add, I think 'glory' is a concept that very much appeals to young men, in particular. They used to be eager to sign up to go to war and die for home and country. I think the same type of 'glory' can be associated with violent crime, but also with sports, firefighting, rap culture, drugs, high finance, IT or hacking, hot cars and motorcycles, winning over pretty girls, etc, etc.

I think collectively and individually we probably need to do a better job of trying to connect all young men with opportunities for 'glory' that suit their personality, are socially acceptable, and don't involve killing people (or getting into drugs). A job at Walmart isn't glorious. Playing airsoft in the woods is only ok up to a certain age, then they needed to graduate to something more challenging. But not what they thenselves chose.
I was wondering if, in your post, Satchie , you were in a subtle way underlining the overwhelming preponderance of young males as being involved in this sort of crime. Since, ,it is reasonable to assume the same restrictions, or lack of restrictions apply to females as does to males, why is it that young females , who used to be eager to sign up for home and family and a lifetime of housewifely drudgery with very little return on the investment are not lining up for the weaponry with the same goal in mind? .. any clues?? .

And , were K and B not a little bit too elderly to be playing 'warsies' in the woods? . I can't think of any society were this would be acceptable, or seen as normal. Not at their age.

may I enquire as to what other countries you have resided in that underscores your conclusion? and for how long?? …

If your conclusions are based on MSN or your actual lived experience , that would be significant, I think... ..

As an aside, I found the USA to be almost Rumanianesque in it's capacity to lock people down in one frightful area without possibility of transfer, plus with a minimum wage of $7.00. . I have no idea, no idea at all how people manage to exist on that, considering the prices people have to pay, and of course, the ultimate imprisoning of a population , that with no access to health care without extreme financial penalties.

Never, ever have I seen more homeless people sleeping on the streets, than right across the USA, from California to Maine, it was incredible, and I include Nigeria in that calculation. I couldn't hardly believe it, and women, also. Women!

If, and it's a big if, there are 'more choices' available to Americans, although I can't , for the life of me see more, or even the very basic choices other nations incorporate then why is that choice overwhelmingly one of a murderous nature? . what are these 'choices ' that the USA has more of? .. Certainly the almost compulsory edict to carry guns has a huge part to play in those stats, but behind that, is the desire to kill .

The biggest cause of death in young pregnant women in the USA is murder. That is a statistic that denotes a very great lack of freedom for a certain section of the community. It also denotes a determination from another section of the USA community to perpetrate this crime.

In one very important sense, K and B were more free than any teenager in the USA, in that they were independently ( they were 18, hence their own medical covereage ) able to access any and all medical professionals at any time, absolutely privately and without parental supervision, and without any financial penalty, which was their unalienable right.

Particularly, since they were, by anyone's perspective , taxpayers themselves, they must have paid tax on the 5 weeks earnings they had at Walmart. I imagine they saw their payslips and it only increased their resentments that they fed persistently. 'what?? , I'm paying this much tax for what? . no way, I 'm not gonna work, then'.. a position of ignorance but one that is found among teenagers everywhere.
So it's your personal experience that women in Nigeria have more freedom to move around, receive an education, and find economic advancement than if they were making minimum wage in the United States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga