Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #2 *T. Vader guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the map that global put out, click on street view, should give a clear view that way.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en...913,0.006813&z=17&iwloc=00048b5daa88a3a951b63
Ruby it is JMHO, but I believe the link I posted looks a lot more like it, though it is not in St. Albert, but south of Highway 16 in Edmonton.

IMO, the one Global put up is not the Superstore Gas Station we are seeing on the video (like Thyme already noted). The one on your link (GlobalTV) says Petro Canada, and I cannot see those yellow poles that we see really close to Mr. McCann in the video.

Maybe MrMcCann liked that one in Edmonton for some reason (cheaper gas maybe?) or there is another Superstore Gas Bar in Albert that doesn't show in Google search?

Ruby it is JMHO, but I believe the link I posted looks a lot more like it, though it is not in St. Albert, but south of Highway 16 in Edmonton.

IMO, the one Global put up is not the Superstore Gas Station we are seeing on the video (like Thyme already noted). The one on your link (GlobalTV) says Petro Canada, and I cannot see those yellow poles that we see really close to Mr. McCann in the video.

Maybe MrMcCann liked that one in Edmonton for some reason (cheaper gas maybe?) or there is another Superstore Gas Bar in Albert that doesn't show in Google search?

No it isn't the Petro. That map just takes you to the road it is on. There is a Superstore Gas Station on the same road.

ETA, I'm not able to get a street view, probably wasn't there when they did the google thing but according to LE they went to the one in St. Albert.

Alberta RCMP released security video taken at a Superstore Gas Bar in St. Albert

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/07/15/edmonton-missing-couple-rcmp.html#ixzz0vDfShC00

http://www.edmontongasprices.com/Superstore_Gas_Stations/index.aspx

Based on the entrance to that station, I would think that Mr. McCann would have pulled into either of the 2 bays on our left. Couldn't help but notice that this one and the other one we were looking at earlier both have liquor stores beside them.

Based on the entrance to that station, I would think that Mr. McCann would have pulled into either of the 2 bays on our left. Couldn't help but notice that this one and the other one we were looking at earlier both have liquor stores beside them.

I think that's pretty typical for this chain in Alberta.

Wasn't there something mentioned earlier regarding the gas station, that the outside bay was where large trucks, motor homes etc. had to gas up? The road out of there looks rather narrow to me, leaving not much room to turn with a large rig. Perhaps just the angle of the google view.

Wasn't there something mentioned earlier regarding the gas station, that the outside bay was where large trucks, motor homes etc. had to gas up? The road out of there looks rather narrow to me, leaving not much room to turn with a large rig. Perhaps just the angle of the google view.
Here is another angle Thyme. The white pole is there, as well as the yellow post, but cannot see the green at the bottom in the video.

St.Albert SS gas: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=15611+St+Albert+Trail,+Saint+Albert,+AB&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=27.382728,56.425781&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=15611+St+Albert+Trail,+St+Albert,+Division+No.+11,+Alberta+T6V+1K1&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.62068,-113.607051&panoid=pio9hSUKVWARHk0SFuhPzQ&cbp=12,113.5,,1,2.83&ll=53.620692,-113.607044&spn=0.005269,0.027552&z=15

Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/CTVnewsEdmonton#p/u/3/XuuGkD7kXqU

Please remember, the motorhome is a diesel, they have to pull up to diesel pumps, not gasoline.

I can not see the video as I am on a slow aircard connection, so I can not see what you guys are looking at.

Please remember, the motorhome is a diesel, they have to pull up to diesel pumps, not gasoline.

I can not see the video as I am on a slow aircard connection, so I can not see what you guys are looking at.
This is all we can see of the gas station from the 4 video clips. Hope this helps :) If you want to see more of MrMcCann or when the RV backs up, let me know.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• RV3.png
    RV3.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 191
  • McCanns.png
    McCanns.png
    211.9 KB · Views: 190
  • RV.png
    RV.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 189
  • RV4.png
    RV4.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 189
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Red Arrows: video surveillance cameras ??
Red Circle: yellow sign (Cars,Trucks,Vans) ??

Attachments

• GasStation.png
    GasStation.png
    340.7 KB · Views: 172
  • GasStation2.png
    GasStation2.png
    340.3 KB · Views: 171
  • GasStation3.png
    GasStation3.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 171
  • GasStation4.png
    GasStation4.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 170
Based on the pics you've posted, Hazel, it appears that there's not a lot of distance between that pump and the curb across from it. So in the videos of the McCanns where you see them backing up the RV then driving forward, one might suspect that with an RV that length, one might HAVE to back up a little and crank the wheel to the right to be able to turn out of there -- so that might explain the backing up?

Based on the pics you've posted, Hazel, it appears that there's not a lot of distance between that pump and the curb across from it. So in the videos of the McCanns where you see them backing up the RV then driving forward, one might suspect that with an RV that length, one might HAVE to back up a little and crank the wheel to the right to be able to turn out of there -- so that might explain the backing up?

BBM
Nice job of finding the gas station Hazel! I think you're right.
Here's the approximate distance according to Google Earth (screen grab):

attachment.php

I wonder if he was pulled far enough out to block the only exit. He might have pizzed someone off...
Just a thought.
It certainly is an odd choice of gas stations for that size of camper.
MOO.

Attachments

• GasStationDistance.jpg
    GasStationDistance.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 160
BBM
Nice job of finding the gas station Hazel! I think you're right.
Here's the approximate distance according to Google Earth (screen grab):

attachment.php

I wonder if he was pulled far enough out to block the only exit. He might have pizzed someone off...
Just a thought.
It certainly is an odd choice of gas stations for that size of camper.
MOO.

Actually, it's an odd choice with regard to where all of the pumps are located in terms of the last pump (for trucks, RVs, buses, etc) having so little room to get in and out -- considering there's so much Superstore parking lot on the other side of the pumps.

Most gas stations that have a pump designated for large/long vehicles (RVs, trucks, etc).....they're situatued such that the truck or RV can easily "pull through" (kind of like an RV site). Appears at this Superstore (and not sure if the layout at other ones is similar?), the set-up is rather non-RV friendly. I can just see my own Dad with his RV that's the same size/length of the McCanns, with their small traveling car towed behind it, cursing a bit and about the lack of room and layout (and he's an ex trucker as well so no stranger to maneuvering a very long load).

But my point was that you should NEVER back up with a towbar setup on a motorhome, and any experienced RV driver with a toad setup (towed car) would know that. I would think with all their years of RVing and truck driving, Mr. McCann would shudder to think of backing up with a toad attached. It can damage the towbar, and void the warrenty and allow the towed car to break loose and be a danger to everyone on the road.

The proper (and safe) procedure to follow when hemmed in at a place like they were at the gas station, would be to get out, remove the pins in the tow bar, unhook, and fold the bar up. Start the SUV, drive it over to another place and drive the motorhome out of the way of the pumps, rehook the SUV and go back on the road.

This is from the Roadmaster tow bar website:
• Never back up the motorhome with the towed vehicle still attached.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/towing_safe.html

and I tried to download the pdf file from Roadmaster but unsuccessful on my air card signal where we are camping right now. Here is the link, I am sure in the operating instructions it will tell you to NEVER back up.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-2283-09.pdf

That is the reason why I don't think Mr. McCann would have been driving at that point. Any motorhome driving RVer with toad experience would see a glaring red flag if he backed up 8 or 9 feet like that.

Nickle Couch -- are you certain that the type of tow bar on the McCann's SUV was a Roadmaster tow bar? I've never read in any news article, the type of tow bar being specified. Are all tow bars such that you must not back up with a vehicle attached? Might there be some types that are designed in such a way that backing up w/ vehicle attached would not be an issue?

Nickle Couch -- are you certain that the type of tow bar on the McCann's SUV was a Roadmaster tow bar? I've never read in any news article, the type of tow bar being specified. Are all tow bars such that you must not back up with a vehicle attached? Might there be some types that are designed in such a way that backing up w/ vehicle attached would not be an issue?

Good questions...

On page three of this thread with the photos, the pictured tow bar is black and shaped just like our Roadmaster Falcon towbar setup. Or it could be the Roadmaster Stowmaster. But ANY brand towbar mechanism is not to be backed up. These are expensive devices, running in the $500-1,000 range for just the tow bar. No matter what the brand. A towbar rated to tow an SUV is an expensive piece of complicated equipment and easily damaged and voids the warranty if backed up. Tow bars are only designed to pull in a forward motion, and not pushed in the backwards motion. These are not like a simple hitch and trailer set up with a tongue and ball.

I use the name *toad* not as a misspelling, but as a common RV term for a towed car on a towbar.

Some foolhardy novice RVers might try backing up a toad vehicle a few inches or feet, but later find out they ruined the tow bar, or even strained the steering mechanism of their car and damaged it by doing so.

(Perhaps why the car was seen driving *slowly* around in some of the posts mentioning that on the previous thread?)

To help the non-RVers reading this: Think of trying to back up a kid's toy wagon by pushing backwards on the handle, the wheels will not track straight back, it will swivel and kink and *jackknife*

It's not like backing up a straight tow trailer or boat, which have fixed axles. In contrast, a toad car has the swiveling front axle at the tires and they do not track straight backwards when being pushed. Thus the dangers and damages to the steering when trying to attempt this. And the towbar companies will not take any responsiblity for someone ruining their tow bar or car from backing up.

Hope that helps clarify my thoughts on why Mr. McCann might not have been the one driving that rig away from the pumps. The hard cut to the right also allows for dangerous back swing motion on the left rear side too. Another questionable move for an experienced trucker/RVer.

Good questions...

On page three of this thread with the photos, the pictured tow bar is black and shaped just like our Roadmaster Falcon towbar setup. Or it could be the Roadmaster Stowmaster. But ANY brand towbar mechanism is not to be backed up. These are expensive devices, running in the $500-1,000 range for just the tow bar. No matter what the brand. A towbar rated to tow an SUV is an expensive piece of complicated equipment and easily damaged and voids the warranty if backed up. Tow bars are only designed to pull in a forward motion, and not pushed in the backwards motion. These are not like a simple hitch and trailer set up with a tongue and ball.

I use the name *toad* not as a misspelling, but as a common RV term for a towed car on a towbar.

Some foolhardy novice RVers might try backing up a toad vehicle a few inches or feet, but later find out they ruined the tow bar, or even strained the steering mechanism of their car and damaged it by doing so.

(Perhaps why the car was seen driving *slowly* around in some of the posts mentioning that on the previous thread?)

To help the non-RVers reading this: Think of trying to back up a kid's toy wagon by pushing backwards on the handle, the wheels will not track straight back, it will swivel and kink and *jackknife*

It's not like backing up a straight tow trailer or boat, which have fixed axles. In contrast, a toad car has the swiveling front axle at the tires and they do not track straight backwards when being pushed. Thus the dangers and damages to the steering when trying to attempt this. And the towbar companies will not take any responsiblity for someone ruining their tow bar or car from backing up.

Hope that helps clarify my thoughts on why Mr. McCann might not have been the one driving that rig away from the pumps. The hard cut to the right also allows for dangerous back swing motion on the left rear side too. Another questionable move for an experienced trucker/RVer.

Hmmm. Someone with a damaged tow bar might have to ditch the SUV somewhere, and maybe go back and pick it up later. Or they might have to stop along the way to find a mechanic, say, at Niton Junction truck stop.

The similarities between the McCanns' disappearance and that of Jean Roelfsema are significant.

Jean Roelfsema disappeared in 2007. She had last used her Visa card at a gas station in Evansburg, AB, approx. 30 miles east of Niton Junction.

Here's a tidbit about Jeannie that I had not seen before:

from: http://www.pentictonherald.ca/stories_local.php?id=71608

Roelfsema noted his mother had never liked to rush home, preferring instead to make stops along the way or camp out. It was a travel style she‘d become accustomed to when she and her late husband went on trips.

Jean was a senior; she left Edmonton to return to her Summerland home in the Okanagan area of BC; she was last known to have been in Evansburg, AB, and was known to camp out on her trips.

The McCanns were seniors; they left Edmonton to travel to BC, apparently planning to travel through the Okanagan area enroute to Chilliwack; their RV and SUV were found in areas close to Niton Junction, AB

TV has lived in or has relatives in Edmonton, Niton Junction and Summerland, BC.

ImageShrinker

Bret McCann is seen here putting up a poster inside the window of a St. Albert business.

The family is hoping to circulate posters and flyers with information about the McCann's disappearance between west Edmonton, Spruce Grove, and Edson.

"The main accomplishment is finding our aunt and uncle, bottom line, finding them safe and bringing them home," said family member Stephen Carrol.

About two dozen volunteers joined the family in their efforts.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...ccannsearch_100801/20100801/?hub=EdmontonHome

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221
Back