Canada- Michael Opong Berchie, 23, U of T grad, fatally shot while on date, Toronto, 8 Feb 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score

CP24
Dad believes 'mistaken identity' led to fatal Toronto shooting | Toronto Sun
'Michael Opong Berchie, 23, was in a vehicle with another person in the Lawrence and Sage Aves. area of Toronto when he was shot around 9:50 p.m. Monday. He later died in hospital.''

''Toronto Police said two suspects in dark-coloured clothes were seen driving off in a light-coloured, four-door compact SUV on Lawrence Ave. and then heading south on Dufferin St.

Samuel Berchie last saw his son in the family’s Brampton home around 6 that evening for dinner. He said his son may have been meeting a new girlfriend in that area of Toronto and believes Michael was killed in a case of mistaken identity.

“His friends came here yesterday and said he got a new girlfriend,” Berchie, 55, told the Toronto Sun Wednesday. “They were eating (take-out food) and he got shot. It was mistaken identity.”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Berchie said, through tears. “He’s always been there to help me. I can’t say anymore, otherwise I’ll keep crying. I miss my son. I love him so much.”

He does have a message for whoever is responsible for his son’s death.

“I don’t understand what a low-life could do this. I can’t believe this could happen in this country. It’s not safe anywhere,” he said.

Berchie said Michael graduated last year from the University of Toronto with a bachelor of commerce and wanted to pursue a career in business. He had been working at the Region of Peel helping new immigrants.''

'He never put himself in trouble': Friends pay tribute to Brampton man killed in Toronto shooting
rbbm.
''To many people who knew him well, Michael Opong Berchie seemed like he was on the right path toward a career in accounting.

The 23-year-old from Brampton graduated from the Bachelor of Commerce program at the University of Toronto Mississauga last year and his friend, Evana Yukanna, said she was planning on helping him out in his job hunt by taking some photos of him he could use for his LinkedIn profile.

“He was so smart, to the point where I would make financial decisions, take them to him and he’d say ‘Oh my goodness, this is so wrong. You shouldn’t have done this'," said Yukanna, who became close friends with Berchie while they were students at Cardinal Ambrozic Catholic Secondary School.''

''Since Berchie was identified as the victim, tributes have poured in through social media, including one from Brampton pop star Alessia Cara, who also went to Cardinal Ambrozic along with Berchie.''

Toronto Police said two suspects were seen fleeing the scene of the shooting in a light-coloured four-door compact SUV.

The vehicle was last reported seen travelling southbound on Dufferin Street, south of Lawrence Avenue West at a high rate of speed.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477, or online at www.222tips.com.''

Feb 6 2021
3 charged with 1st-degree murder after 23-year-old Brampton man shot in Toronto
''Toronto police say three people are facing multiple charges, including first-degree murder, in connection with a recent shooting that left a 23-year-old Brampton man dead.''

''The statement said 24-year-old Kevon Shemar Foo, 21-year-old Day Juan Francis and 21-year-old Jasanthan Kandiah were all charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and discharging a firearm with intent. Officers said they appeared in a Toronto court on Sunday.''

''The update from investigators also said 20-year-old Jessica Madeleine Roy was arrested and charged with three counts of careless storage of ammunition, two counts of possession of a prohibited device, careless storage of a firearm, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized and possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition. Police said she was set to appear in a Toronto court on Monday.''

''24-year-old Kevon Shemar Foo, 21-year-old Day Juan Francis and 21-year-old Jasanthan Kandiah were all charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and discharging a firearm with intent.

Same name and age as one of the suspects. Wanted in Thunder Bay for "possession for purpose of trafficking":

Jasanthan Kandiah

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSP MORSE
Back