Canada - Numerous pedestrians struck by van near Yonge and Finch, Toronto, Apr 2018 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
By Maan Alhmidi, The Canadian Press
Posted Apr 22, 2023
''Five years ago, after a man deliberately drove a van down a busy Toronto sidewalk in one of Canada’s worst mass murders, the country was confronted with a previously obscure extremist movement, which experts say remains a growing threat.

The attacker, Alek Minassian, had claimed to be angered by women who wouldn’t sleep with him and inspired by“incels,” or involuntary celibates.

While Minassian later cited various motivations for the violence and the presiding judge at his trial ultimately found he carried out the attack to achieve notoriety, his rampage on April 23, 2018 forced renewed attention on the capacity of misogynist movements to inspire violence.

Arie Perliger, the director of security studies at the University of Massachusetts – Lowell, said law enforcement agencies now see incels and groups with misogynist ideology as a rising concern.

“The threat is growing,” he said. “It will continue to be a problem.”

“The statistics show that men are more likely to suffer from mental health issues. Men are more likely to conduct a suicide or to attempt suicide. Men are more likely to be incarcerated or to end up in prison. Men are more likely to be victims of violent crimes.” he said.

“Young men are dealing with some significant challenges and we need to think how we can help them and how we can address those challenges.”

By Maan Alhmidi, The Canadian Press
Posted Apr 22, 2023
''Five years ago, after a man deliberately drove a van down a busy Toronto sidewalk in one of Canada’s worst mass murders, the country was confronted with a previously obscure extremist movement, which experts say remains a growing threat.

The attacker, Alek Minassian, had claimed to be angered by women who wouldn’t sleep with him and inspired by“incels,” or involuntary celibates.

While Minassian later cited various motivations for the violence and the presiding judge at his trial ultimately found he carried out the attack to achieve notoriety, his rampage on April 23, 2018 forced renewed attention on the capacity of misogynist movements to inspire violence.

Arie Perliger, the director of security studies at the University of Massachusetts – Lowell, said law enforcement agencies now see incels and groups with misogynist ideology as a rising concern.

“The threat is growing,” he said. “It will continue to be a problem.”

“The statistics show that men are more likely to suffer from mental health issues. Men are more likely to conduct a suicide or to attempt suicide. Men are more likely to be incarcerated or to end up in prison. Men are more likely to be victims of violent crimes.” he said.

“Young men are dealing with some significant challenges and we need to think how we can help them and how we can address those challenges.”
I think the individual in question is severely mentally ill based on their interrogation, so I'm not convinced that this represents a typical case or ordinary "issues" facing young men. It's probably more comparable to the psychopathology of the Columbine killers.

Though honestly, part of me tends to think that "bad genetics" plays a role in it, and if there were just a way to prevent such bad genetics from manifesting themselves in the form of childbirth, society would be better off for it.

I mean, it's rather difficult to consider such individuals "human" to begin with, as opposed to "sub-human" entities who just happen to share some genetic and cognitive traits with actual humans (much as higher apes do).

I think the individual in question is severely mentally ill based on their interrogation, so I'm not convinced that this represents a typical case or ordinary "issues" facing young men. It's probably more comparable to the psychopathology of the Columbine killers.

Though honestly, part of me tends to think that "bad genetics" plays a role in it, and if there were just a way to prevent such bad genetics from manifesting themselves in the form of childbirth, society would be better off for it.

I mean, it's rather difficult to consider such individuals "human" to begin with, as opposed to "sub-human" entities who just happen to share some genetic and cognitive traits with actual humans (much as higher apes do).
what??
All humans are humans....it's just that some have some 'glitches' (I know this is too soft a word in some cases) or have various personality traits and behaviours that are socially unacceptable. But how could you judge which ones are 'worthy of living' and which ones aren't? How do you know what combination of genetics/nurture/societal exposure contributed to this heinous act? I don't think it's up to us to play God ahead of any unacceptable behaviour.

Some people who are abused as children grow up and become abusers. Some don't.
Some narcissists become killers or assaulters, but some create incredible contributions to society through scientific discoveries and positive technological changes. (even if we don't like them personally)

Humans aren't such simple creatures that we can call some human and some not human based on their genetics.

1682222684041.png
''The victims of the Yonge Street van attack will be honoured and remembered on the fifth anniversary of the tragedy at commemoration events in North York on Sunday afternoon.

Observance events for the 10 victims who lost their lives and the 16 who were injured on April 23, 2018, is set to begin at 3 p.m. at the Cineplex Empress Walk, at 5095 Yonge St. There, a concert will feature local musicians and speeches are planned by faith leaders as well as Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie and Coun. Lily Cheng.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa D.
Back