Canada - Richard Robert Mantha: kidnap, drug & assault several women, Chestermere, Alta., 2021–2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It looks like Mantha is still going to stand trial despite the stroke. CTV News

I don’t know. His defense lawyers make a valid point. On the other hand I wouldn’t put it past Mantha to be faking having no voice.

“At times through the hearing and on breaks, Mantha addressed the judge and his lawyer, making little trilling-like noises that did not resemble words.

Mantha's lawyer Marc Crerar flagged concerns about his client's inability to communicate verbally with counsel and his inability to testify in his own defence.

"That issue needs to be fully explored," said Crerar.”

I don’t know. His defense lawyers make a valid point. On the other hand I wouldn’t put it past Mantha to be faking having no voice.

“At times through the hearing and on breaks, Mantha addressed the judge and his lawyer, making little trilling-like noises that did not resemble words.

Mantha's lawyer Marc Crerar flagged concerns about his client's inability to communicate verbally with counsel and his inability to testify in his own defence.

"That issue needs to be fully explored," said Crerar.”

He can't write on a notepad?

hmm

According to Smith's findings, Mantha "appears to have found efficient ways to communicate with his peers," but there are also concerns he's communicated with remand centre medical staff by writing, "albeit sometimes nonsensically."

how did the psychiatrist find him 'fit to stand trial' if he's communicating nonsensically sometimes?

IMO he’s just playing the system by creating delays and more delays. First he dismisses his legal aid lawyer for not being fluent in French while demanding his trial be conducted in French, then he fires his lawyers midway through. Next he’ll be trying to have his charges dismissed due unreasonable delays (Jordan Application). He a con artist through and through. MOO

hmm

According to Smith's findings, Mantha "appears to have found efficient ways to communicate with his peers," but there are also concerns he's communicated with remand centre medical staff by writing, "albeit sometimes nonsensically."

how did the psychiatrist find him 'fit to stand trial' if he's communicating nonsensically sometimes?

If he is capable of communicating sensibly on more than one occasion since the stroke, then he can communicate sensibly.

He has manufactured one delay after another. Each day of pre-trial prison is 1.5 days of post-conviction prison. He might be strategizing to delay trial; to reduce the amount of time he serves.

His lawyer, Andre Ouellette, was fired after he even went so far as to inappropriately question witnesses (upthread discussion), presumably at the behest of the suspect. Delay. Somewhere between lawyer delays, he had a stroke. Acceptable delay. Deemed fit to stand trial even though he speaks gibberish with investigators, but has "found efficient ways to communicate with his peers." Delay.

IMO he’s just playing the system by creating delays and more delays. First he dismisses his legal aid lawyer for not being fluent in French while demanding his trial be conducted in French, then he fires his lawyers midway through. Next he’ll be trying to have his charges dismissed due unreasonable delays (Jordan Application). He a con artist through and through. MOO
Yeah, I'm inclined to think that's he is exaggerating his symptoms post stroke.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc
Back