CANADA Canada - Romain Quénéhen, 26, from Belgium, forest in British Columbia, 26 Aug 2019 *car found*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Liesbeth2019

Reaction score
Romain Quénéhen, a young Belgian in his twenties, has been missing since August 26 when he was in the forests of British Columbia in western Canada.
The family hasn't heard from Romain, which is strange as he used to call them regularly.
The last location of Romain is not clear, but his sister believes he left about 10 days ago from Kitimat via route 37 to Alaska.
On the 28th of August a hiker found his kayak and clothes.
Later, the local police also found his rental car on a different spot.

A call was also made on social networks by the young man's sister, from St-Ghislain, to find the young man.
A young Belgian missing in Canada
Dodie Caulier

176189-166521fc215e7529fa6c13774b942151.jpg
176190-647a4ddb60b08527756bd46b7d13421b.jpg

Attachments

• 763.jpg
    763.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 5d716edf9978e248072936fe.jpg
    5d716edf9978e248072936fe.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 84
He decided in December 2018 to go out on his own. He wanted to explore Canada and Alaska on a solo expedition, with backpack and kayak.

"We haven't heard from my brother since August 26," his sister wrote. Although Romain traveled alone, he regularly called his family members. "He probably left for Alaska ten days ago via route 37," his sister still writes on social media. Two days later, on August 28, a walker found Romain's kayak and clothes. The local police were informed, after which the Romain rental car could also be located.

Romain, un jeune de Saint-Ghislain parti seul à l’aventure au Canada, a disparu en forêt: des vêtements et un kayak découverts sur place

Privacy settings

Romain Quénéhen, a young Belgian in his twenties, has been missing since August 26 when he was in the forests of British Columbia in western Canada.
The family hasn't heard from Romain, which is strange as he used to call them regularly.
The last location of Romain is not clear, but his sister believes he left about 10 days ago from Kitimat via route 37 to Alaska.
On the 28th of August a hiker found his kayak and clothes.
Later, the local police also found his rental car on a different spot.

A call was also made on social networks by the young man's sister, from St-Ghislain, to find the young man.
A young Belgian missing in Canada
Dodie Caulier

176189-166521fc215e7529fa6c13774b942151.jpg
176190-647a4ddb60b08527756bd46b7d13421b.jpg
Welcome to Ws Liesbeth2019, thanks for posting this missing person case, hoping Romain is located soon!

I hope he didn’t drown or get attacked by a bear. Not sure what else could have happened to him otherwise. Sad for his family to be managing his disappearance from so far away. He’s been out of touch from them for too long now for it to be something trivial.

He must have visited and hiked in Alaska before - last August, perhaps, shows a photo of him sitting in front of the bus that Chris McCandless lived in when he ventured off into the Alaskan wilderness north of Denali NP. A book and movie were made entitled "Into the Wild" and seems the bus and story's popularity has drawn many to attempt to find it. This is not an easy task to find the bus and to trek out there involves crossing fast moving water on a river - this being the reason CM was trapped there after he decided to bail and return home.

Romaine sure seems to have the stamina and courage needed for wilderness travel. I agree with the post above from @Blondie in Spokane that drowning or animal (grizzly) attack along the water are possibilities for his being missing. I hope not and that he's safe, but without his supplies and vehicle, I'm worried for his survival.

An excerpt from him also posted on his page depicts his wonder of the wild and joy of traveling in Alaska. He was doing something he appeared to have great enjoyment for. There's aways that, at least.

Romain Quénéhen

I hope he didn’t drown or get attacked by a bear. Not sure what else could have happened to him otherwise. Sad for his family to be managing his disappearance from so far away. He’s been out of touch from them for too long now for it to be something trivial.

He must have visited and hiked in Alaska before - last August, perhaps, shows a photo of him sitting in front of the bus that Chris McCandless lived in when he ventured off into the Alaskan wilderness north of Denali NP. A book and movie were made entitled "Into the Wild" and seems the bus and story's popularity has drawn many to attempt to find it. This is not an easy task to find the bus and to trek out there involves crossing fast moving water on a river - this being the reason CM was trapped there after he decided to bail and return home.

Romaine sure seems to have the stamina and courage needed for wilderness travel. I agree with the post above from @Blondie in Spokane that drowning or animal (grizzly) attack along the water are possibilities for his being missing. I hope not and that he's safe, but without his supplies and vehicle, I'm worried for his survival.

An excerpt from him also posted on his page depicts his wonder of the wild and joy of traveling in Alaska. He was doing something he appeared to have great enjoyment for. There's aways that, at least.

Romain Quénéhen

It always saddens me when people lose their lives while “living their dreams”.

Here’s a recent case that ended up in tragedy:Into the Wild: woman dies in Alaska river trying to reach famous bus | Alaska | The Guardian

Edit to fix quote.

Last edited:
It always saddens me when people lose their lives while “living their dreams”.

Here’s a recent case that ended up in tragedy:Into the Wild: woman dies in Alaska river trying to reach famous bus | Alaska | The Guardian

Edit to fix quote.
I agree. But, in a sense it seems an honorable way to go. Maybe not the bear part, but in the middle of something you love doing.

Also she’s one I was thinking of when posted this. I read her story too thanks for sharing.

I agree. But, in a sense it seems an honorable way to go. Maybe not the bear part, but in the middle of something you love doing.

Also she’s one I was thinking of when posted this. I read her story too thanks for sharing.

I agree with you too... it’s “an honorable way to go”.
The bear part made me think of Timothy Treadwell, who also died doing what he loved the most... better to say, killed by his beloved bears.

Praying for no tragedies this time!

I agree with you too... it’s “an honorable way to go”.
The bear part made me think of Timothy Treadwell, who also died doing what he loved the most... better to say, killed by his beloved bears.

Praying for no tragedies this time!
Exactly! Sounds better that way. Most families sort of covey that message too, when one dies pursuing their passion.

I had a younger brother who loved collecting arrowheads in rural areas and barren farmers fields. One day, after he had gone out, he had a heart attack and died in his sleep. Our family took some comfort that he had been able to do something he loved that very same day.

Exactly! Sounds better that way. Most families sort of covey that message too, when one dies pursuing their passion.

I had a younger brother who loved collecting arrowheads in rural areas and barren farmers fields. One day, after he had gone out, he had a heart attack and died in his sleep. Our family took some comfort that he had been able to do something he loved that very same day.

So sorry for your loss.
My father died on his 48th birthday in a car crash. Doing what he loved the most... He quit his white-collar job for long-distance truck driving across Europe... the desk was just not for him.
We also took some sort of comfort from it... but, still hard to handle.

So sorry for your loss.
My father died on his 48th birthday in a car crash. Doing what he loved the most... He quit his white-collar job for long-distance truck driving across Europe... the desk was just not for him.
We also took some sort of comfort from it... but, still hard to handle.
Sorry for yours as well. Comfort is many times bittersweet.

Hi,

I’m Romain’s sister. I had to investigate myself because of Canadian police only wanting to contact with the Belgian one, so I already knew how helpful and nice Canadians can be.
While I said I would only collaborate with Canadian press, Belgian journalists kept harassing us and invented stories. So I’m reading the worst things about my brother all the time.
I made an account only to thank this group (I don’t know what the website is about yet). It’s been feeling so good to read positive comments on the disaster of my life and could finally find some peace and sleep a bit.
Thank you specially to @zecats to say how brave Romain has been, and about him being in his dream when the incident happened.
I’m myself going there soon in order to understand better what happens and it is also thanks to helpful locals.

Hi,

I’m Romain’s sister. I had to investigate myself because of Canadian police only wanting to contact with the Belgian one, so I already knew how helpful and nice Canadians can be.
While I said I would only collaborate with Canadian press, Belgian journalists kept harassing us and invented stories. So I’m reading the worst things about my brother all the time.
I made an account only to thank this group (I don’t know what the website is about yet). It’s been feeling so good to read positive comments on the disaster of my life and could finally find some peace and sleep a bit.
Thank you specially to @zecats to say how brave Romain has been, and about him being in his dream when the incident happened.
I’m myself going there soon in order to understand better what happens and it is also thanks to helpful locals.

Welcome Elodie. I’m sorry to hear that Romain is missing. I sincerely hope he turns up safe and well.

This site has a bunch of like minded people who try where they can to find missing people or solve mysteries/crimes.

It’s what I just read in the introduction mail I received. The effect it got on me is exactly what is described in it.
We have virtually no chance of finding Romain alive by now. His body is probably in the water somewhere and the searches stopped. We still hope for someone to find the body or anything belonging to Romain so the searches would start again. I’m probably not teaching you anything, but if there’s no body, he’s legally staying a missing person for years/forever and my life is going to be a nightmare, dealing with his as well.

Thanks a lot for your help so far. It’s been feeling good.

I’d like to correct a few things about this case, because medias made things up.

Romain is 28.
He left for his second trip to Canada on the 21st of August. Last news were when he was leaving for Kitimat on the 26th.

A worker (who later retrieved the backpack from the water) overtook him on highway 37 around 9am. He thinks Romain went to the water (Bell Irving) with his packraft from under Bell 1 bridge around 10am.

The workers saw the kayak and backpack from Nass bridge and looked with their helicopter.
Search and rescue looked for someone along the river up to the sea during three days before stopping.

I’m of course available if I can provide you with more detailed information.

Hi,

Sorry about your brother and for what's you're going through now. I admire your realistic approach and determination to discover what has happened to him. I wish you success in this mission. It's a tough thing not to know what has happened and where he is. I hope you are able to find him and bring him home, then find some peace with it all.

I’d like to correct a few things about this case, because medias made things up.

Romain is 28.
He left for his second trip to Canada on the 21st of August. Last news were when he was leaving for Kitimat on the 26th.

A worker (who later retrieved the backpack from the water) overtook him on highway 37 around 9am. He thinks Romain went to the water (Bell Irving) with his packraft from under Bell 1 bridge around 10am.

The workers saw the kayak and backpack from Nass bridge and looked with their helicopter.
Search and rescue looked for someone along the river up to the sea during three days before stopping.

I’m of course available if I can provide you with more detailed information.
Google Maps
I found Bell 2 Bridge on the Bell Irving River on this map, along Route 37. This is pretty far north from Kitimat. Did he ever visit the village? Or you're saying he took his kayak into the river from the highway?

ETA Here are photos and description of Bell 1 Bridge and the River area.
Bell River #1 Bridge, Stewart-Cassiar Highway

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back