CANADA Canada - Ryan Shtuka, 20, Kamloops, BC, 17 Feb 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Family of Ryan Shtuka building on detailed approach following RCMP search in Sun Peaks | CFJC Today Kamloops

Sadly nothing of Ryan's was found in the search.
I am curious why the RCMP waited three years to do another search for Ryan.
I hope it wasn't a political decision as I believe Ryan's disappearance has brought attention to other missing young men in BC with no results.

The perspective from Ryan’s mother is admirable IMO as it seems she views her search for Ryan to be a partnership with the RCMP.

https://cfjctoday.com/2021/06/01/fa...-approach-following-rcmp-search-in-sun-peaks/
“There’s always two theories. Any theory that you can apply to Ryan will fall into two buckets — either somebody knows something, or nobody knows anything,” explains his mother.

According to Heather, this search was designed with the idea of nobody knowing what happened to her son. RCMP teams were extensive, and she says the dug through years of built-up foliage and deadfall.

“It’s nice to have them come up and to look at the area and to give an impression about where they think this could happen.”

Watching the process has made the Shtukas want to elevate the detail work in their ground search strategy. There’s substantial terrain in Sun Peaks to comb through, and family, friends and volunteers have spent countless hours in the area. Reviewing where they plan to go from here, Heather compares their initial method to trying to paint a house by darting room to room.

“What we’ve learned from this weekend is to take a look and say okay what are our highest priorities? What are the biggest rooms that we really want to get done and just stay in those rooms and get them painted, go back and look over patches, see where they are and apply that second coat so that when we walk away we can be a little bit more confident about our process.”

Searching takes an emotional toll, but Heather says they will continue to pour their energy into it. She asks those exploring Sun Peaks to keep an eye out for anything that could lead investigators to Ryan.…”

BC has more than 300 active wildfires at the moment, a situation that occurs pretty much each and every summer. Many are caused by lightening but others are determined to have been caused by man. The fleeting thought has occurred to me from time to time - are any of these fires started as a means to permanently destroy a crime scene or the discovery of a murdered missing person? I do have to wonder.

I can't help but think that Ryan Shtuka is in a very difficult to find place, such as in a deep crevice or some such location that just hasn't been found yet. I don't think he is somewhere off of that mountain. Time and time and time again we hear about a person being found many years later RIGHT IN the area where they were last known to be! I live in the general region, but I have never been to this particular ski hill. However, I would be most interested in participating in the next search if there is one and seeing for myself just what that landscape is like. It must be so frustrating for his family, who have regularly searched for him.

I can't help but think that Ryan Shtuka is in a very difficult to find place, such as in a deep crevice or some such location that just hasn't been found yet. I don't think he is somewhere off of that mountain. Time and time and time again we hear about a person being found many years later RIGHT IN the area where they were last known to be! I live in the general region, but I have never been to this particular ski hill. However, I would be most interested in participating in the next search if there is one and seeing for myself just what that landscape is like. It must be so frustrating for his family, who have regularly searched for him.
I've always thought this case is going to end with remains being found in an area that has people scratching their heads and going "we should have found him years ago!" o_Oabout deep crevices...its been discussed in this thread before that it's easy and potentially fatal to fall in snowy tree wells (I've fallen in while skiing- if someone isn't there to offer you a pole for leverage you're screwed). I haven't been on a ski hill in the summertime in a while, but I wonder what those areas look like after snow has melted - has plant debris been collecting in those holes? are there other plants that grow near the trunks that may hide a body?
**edit** went back and looked at google street view of his last known location. the trees are so thick in this region that I don't think you'd necessary need dropped debris to pile up; just the low tree limbs would be enough to obscure objects between trees.

Last edited:
I am finding it frustrating how such an emphasis is being placed on the wandering off theory and not on investigating the people he was with that night. I understand the family's wish to not think negatively and admire their strength, however, every year that passes will spread the witnesses and those that could be involved further and further from Sun Peaks. Ski resort life is very transient and very few of the people Ryan knew are likely even still there.
My gut tells me that something happened to him and he was hidden away; either driven or disposed of. In interviews I have read that a retired rcmp feels it is a homicide after interviewing one of his friends.
I am guessing people involved are very tight lipped and careful about who they spread info to.
Side tangent: in university I had a good friend that was murdered with her boyfriend he was involved in gang crime). It took 13 years for them to find the killer. Years before they did, my cousin (a shady fellow) told me he thought he knew who did it because he heard guys involved in that gang discussing shooting her at a party. He heard this info by socializing with these people. Police took years to get that same information.

My point is, the police should have planted an undercover investigator within the friend group. I am sure they would have found out more than they have. Even if it was finding out that Ryan died of a fentayl overdose, they panicked and didn't want to get in trouble for trafficking drugs, and got rid of the body. At the time of Ryan's disappearance the fentanyl in everyday street drugs like MDMA and cocaine was starting to really ramp up. Nobody would have wanted that death on their hands.

Home - Nowhere To Be Found

Listen to season 3 ep.5 of the podcast which is the last episode in the series about Ryan. The episode does provide more insight in what Ryan was doing at the house party that night but no new evidence.
I listened to it today and wish more interviews could be done with people that were at the house. I think this is the only option that the rcmp should be pursuing at this point and maybe they are.

Ok. Adding to what I just posted, and speaking as a person that grew up in the lower mainland and lived amongst drug dealers, parties, gang culture, and had many friends live in ski resorts for decades…
Came across this post from someone on a Reddit board and this absolutely makes the most sense:

“There’s talk in the community up here in Sun Peaks that he was caught hooking up with a known drug dealer’s girlfriend who is reportedly very dangerous. They have speculated that either he has had to flee for his safety and his family’s, or that the dealer has managed to make him disappear permanently ...”

1. He was high on MDMA. Super likely to mindlessly hook up with someone, not realizing the dangers associated

2. He was high on MDMA. Maybe he got it from this drug dealer.

3. If there are rumours in Sun Peaks, there is likely some truth. My guess is that nobody wants to get in **** from the drug dealer.

4. This jives with the “Get in the car! Get in the *advertiser censored* car” shouts that a witness heard.

5. Others have said that a construction camera saw a car leaving the 1 road out from the mountain at 4 am. This would work with the timeline.

6. The retired police officer that volunteered to help the Shtukas said a guy he interviewed was acting weird. This gave him the feeling it was a homicide.

Maybe they should re-question people from that party about who the drug dealer is and cross reference with the plates.

I recommend reading this discussion on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...ears_ago_today_ryan_shtuka_went_missing_from/
I have always felt that Ryan died from an accidental overdose such as as fentanyl. I don't think anyone wanted this to happen but it did and people know but are afraid of being charged. He has been disposed of probably off the hill.

I listened to it today and wish more interviews could be done with people that were at the house. I think this is the only option that the rcmp should be pursuing at this point and maybe they are.

I hoped the RCMP questioned Ryan's co-workers who he was talking to at the house party specificaly his fellow chair lift operators. This is bit of new information from the most recent podcast which is somewhat different from previous podcasts in which Ryan would hang out mostly with his roomate/housemates and their friends at parties.

According to Ryan's FB page his parents Heather and Scott did go to Sun Peaks this past weekend (Oct.2-3) but no results from the search were posted on the FB page.

From your link, it’s gratifying they plan to pass on the knowledge gleaned from Ryan’s tragic disappearance and subsequent search for Ryan to benefit other facing the same situation. Thoroughly searching for a body in the dense wilderness such as Sun Peaks must be very challenging so I admire how extremely dedicated they are to finding him. May they be successful.

“Shtuka said she was “so grateful” the RCMP came to Sun Peaks, showing continued dedication to the case. She said the family also picked up some guidance for its amateur searches.

Shtuka said the search will continue in a manner that is more technical, specific and systematic than before.

“To be able to have someone come in that has some skills and expertise and some guidance was really good for us, because we were able to see it from a different standpoint. And then we were able to adjust our search from there,” she said.

Four years after Ryan’s disappearance, Shtuka said one of the biggest challenges has been gaining the right skills and knowledge to conduct effective searches.

“We’re learning, but I feel like that knowledge never came fast enough for us,” Shtuka said.

“It’s something we're able to pass on to other families to get them in their earlier days, so maybe they feel they've got more of a handle on this uncontrollable situation that they find themselves in, because we didn't have anything and we struggled with that from the very beginning."….”

1.-Ryan-Shtuka-age-progressed-25-yrs.-Diana-Trepkov-Forensic-Artist-1-366x350.jpg

Age progression of Ryan Shtuka. Photo Diana Trepkov, forensic artist.

In honour of Ryan Shtuka’s 25th birthday on March 17, a forensic artist has completed an age progression drawing of what he might look like now in hopes it will help get answers.

Ryan went missing after attending a house party in Sun Peaks on Feb. 17, 2018, and since then no clues have been found despite extensive searches and an ongoing investigation by Kamloops RCMP.

Diana Trepkov, the forensic artist who drew the age progression, also hosts a podcast called Can I Help Find Your Missing Loved One? After interviewing Ryan’s mother Heather on the podcast, Trepkov offered to draw an age progression of Ryan as a gift to the family.

“I feel bad for all the families that I interview and I see the pain that they go through,” Trepkov said. “Of course, I feel sorry for Ryan. So I thought I’d offer to do an age progression as something to touch their hearts.
Age progression drawn for Ryan Shtuka's 25th birthday

MISSING: Ryan Shtuka $15,000 reward for info leading to location of Ryan
''Ryan was last seen leaving a residence on Burfield Drive around 2am on Saturday February 17th, 2018 to walk the short distance home.

Ryan did not show up for work the next day and has not been
active on social media or cellular networks since then.

Ryan is 20 years old and 6′ tall with a lean build. He has blond
hair, brown eyes and weighs 180lbs. He was last seen wearing
dark jeans, a grey & white shirt, blue coat and a burgundy ball cap.

There is a $15,000 reward for information leading to the
recovery of Ryan.

If you have ANY information please contact
Kamloops RCMP: 1- 250-828-3000
Crimestoppers: 1-800-222-8477

Screen-Shot-2020-08-23-at-1.19.59-PM.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics