Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmonton? That's an odd choice, given the closer proximity of Lethbridge and Calgary. Why chose a lawyer where CD lives?

I hope the Pincher Creek RCMP get full cooperation from the people of the Crowsnest Pass in this investigation, as I believe they will. Any lingering resentment since the Darren Varley case should be set aside.

In an unrelated breaking news story out of Ontario, police found a suspect by triangulating a cellphone location.

Newer vehicles often have GPS tracking and the voice activated helpline. This can be turned on by the service provider remotely. Good old police work might have led to the places DS was known to frequent.

The cellphone triangulating is interesting. The issue comes up a lot in this forum, people arguing about whether it's possible. I think it's possible if it's done 'live' so to speak, to find the person who has the cellphone right now. It doesn't seem possible to go back later and reconstruct exactly where a person was at a particular time, since most of the data doesn't appear to be preserved.

I agree GPS tracking might have been a possible method LE used, or simply following up information from the family about locations he might have taken her to. If he often went to that family recreational property, that'd be the first place I'd look.

They don't say whose neighbor he was or is. His age would be helpful. Is he still living in Blairmore, or did he grow up with this group and move away (back visiting parents)?

Some neighbors think that know things, but unless they are personally connected as friends, etc., they don't know much more than passing strangers.

Having said that, it is unlikely that a father of an adult daughter knows every little detail of her life when he is not there.

KD said he went "up" to Edmonton to visit Hailey and CD. He said he moved his job kids away from the area, but does he still live in Sparwood? It may have been hard to sell a house there in the months after Randall Hopley.

I don't entirely understand American Law, but I do predispose other aspects. Like if en there was some other reason that contributed to the death of this child.
He didn't actually have to kill her, did he. And if he killed her just because she saw too much, then that is a predisposition. But if he killed her just because he wanted to then that would be an entirely different thing. A predisposed intent. And actually more awful. If this is possible.

Britain doesn't differentiate. A child was killed.

But I suspect that Canadian Law could be a bit more convoluted.

Sorry. I was briefly trying to make some sense of this.

I believe in the UK a charge of 'murder' is equivalent to what is here a 1st degree murder charge. What is called voluntary manslaughter in the UK is what is defined in Canada as 2nd degree murder. Involuntary manslaughter in the UK would correspond to a manslaughter charge in Canada.

A summary of Canadian law is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/murder-vs-manslaughter-1.1155132

<modsnip>

To me, if someone can drive a car to and from a rural location, return the car, go back home and act sufficiently normal that someone doesn't call authorities on him (he wasn't picked up until sometime on the Tuesday, over 24 hours afterwards), I don't see how an insanity plea could be possible.

Luke Magnotta tried to plead insanity but was convicted of first degree murder. Certainly he's 'mad' according to any sane person's criteria, but not according to the law.

You really didn't try to give ethical advice from that sleazeball Johnny Cochrane did you? There was no rush to judgement against OJ Simpson. Evidence was found at the scene and at his house that tied him to the crime. He had unexplained cuts and no alibi. When the asked him to surrender he bolted with a disguise, a stack of money and a gun. No rush to judgement there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ethical advice? Sleazeball or not, Cochran won his case, in part because there was a rush to judgment. The cops had OJ bagged and tagged, but still lost the case. Sleazy lawyers are why patience and meticulous care for details are essential.

BBM

I think it's important to remember that in Canada, unlike the US and other countries, we will not be hearing ANY details now that an arrest has been made so I wouldn't expect to hear ANYTHING until trial from this point on. We will be left with our own musings and theorizing from here on out. It's just the way it is here.

It is not unusual for subsequent releases of info to take place, usually in the name of public interest, such as Project Marvel or Project Tandem. Sometimes they do it when there may be unidentified victims, too, such as in pedophilia or fraud cases. Simple daily releases making clarifications, deflecting rumors or providing stats are extremely common in high-interest stories just to keep the department from being overworked by reporters. Here are a few examples.

2006, http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=6d0f7c30-e6db-4502-a07f-0af4a91e4237
2011, http://www.680news.com/2011/12/15/police-release-more-details-on-project-marvel/
2015, http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Manitoba/ID/2672224899/

I've removed and snipped the posts regarding HuffPost Alberta > CH tweet > insanity defence for the following reason.

I don't believe the tweeter CH is considered MSM (even though his tweet somehow landed into the middle of the Huff Post article that contains zero reference to the content of CH's tweet). I'm not seeing a lot of credentials there. From what I can see, he's a BC journalism student, involved in student films, with an interest in hockey. Frankly, I don't see how some young BC student, with little experience in journalism, can have such a scoop that other MSM doesn't seem to have picked up on.

If I find CH is more qualified than what I am currently able to find, I will reapprove the posts. Otherwise, consider it RUMOUR and please don't discuss it further unless MSM picks up on it. Then we're good to go.

:tyou:

There are two unsolved murders from 1997 on the Pincher Creek RCMP's files (Sopow and McNab). With five deaths under investigation in five days, meticulous attention to detail can only happen if enough experienced homicide investigators from outside the local detachment are brought in ASAP.

One last theory.....I also have had a 2 year old. Hailey was almost three. I don't know if its just me but all my children were still in cribs at this age?

Both my kids were out of their cribs around 1 1/2. It's very much possible it was the same for Hailey.

I do agree, however, that she is very much Terry's Minime and there is no doubt in my mind about the paternity.

*snipped for space*

They don't say whose neighbor he was or is. His age would be helpful. Is he still living in Blairmore, or did he grow up with this group and move away (back visiting parents)?

Some neighbors think that know things, but unless they are personally connected as friends, etc., they don't know much more than passing strangers.

Having said that, it is unlikely that a father of an adult daughter knows every little detail of her life when he is not there.

KD said he went "up" to Edmonton to visit Hailey and CD. He said he moved his job kids away from the area, but does he still live in Sparwood? It may have been hard to sell a house there in the months after Randall Hopley.

Not sure if it means anything but Shayne Kavanagh was FB friends with Terry Blanchette.

What ethical advice? Sleazeball or not, Cochran won his case, in part because there was a rush to judgment. The cops had OJ bagged and tagged, but still lost the case. Sleazy lawyers are why patience and meticulous care for details are essential.

Sorry, the only reason Cochrane won that case was because he and his team of unethical lawyers had OJs millions to back them. Chris Dardon and Marcia Clark never stood a chance. Who else on this planet could stretch a murder trial out for over a year?

Not sure if it means anything but Shayne Kavanagh was FB friends with Terry Blanchette.

Actually, FB friends with both the father and the mother. So his statement appears to be from within the inner circle. And he is reportedly a neighbor. Add that to his connection with someone with the same last name as the perp AND who once worked at the same family business as the white van is said to be from, and you get someone who just might finally open this case all the way.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Thinking about connections to the wider area. A rifle connected to the 1997 Sopow-McNab murders was found in the Chin Reservoir near Taber a couple of years layer when the water level dropped. The case is unsolved. The rifle belonged to a Cowley man who had reported it missing.

The body of Kelly Cook of Standard was found in this Chin Reservoir in the 1980s after the water level dropped. She had been abducted on a fake babysitting ruse. The story was national news at the time, as Kelly was only 15 years old.

On the weekend of the Blairmore murders of Hailey and Terry, the body of a missing Lethbridge woman was found at the Oldman Reservoir near Pincher Creek/Cowley.

RCMP are responsible for all these cases. If there is suspicion that the reservoir murders are connected, this may take up a lot of investigative time.

Also, there was a 1999 suspicious death of a woman whose body was found in a river near Pincher Creek. That death was never explained, to my knowledge.

There is another recent obit in Blairmore where the SK name comes up.

Sorry, the only reason Cochrane won that case was because he and his team of unethical lawyers had OJs millions to back them. Chris Dardon and Marcia Clark never stood a chance. Who else on this planet could stretch a murder trial out for over a year?

His closing argument conveys the weaknesses his high budget discovered, not weaknesses that were fabricated. Without the rush to judgment, Cochran would've needed to take another angle. Indeed, he took many. In the end, he was able to diminish the evidence, so jurors said that the prosecution had not made its case. Solid evidence, gathered patiently, handled properly, survives even the slipperiest legal ploys. Is perfect possible? No. But that doesn't mean one should do lax work and have bad habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helengably