CANADA Canada - Vancouver, BC, Skytrain, WhtFem, 30-40, Brn hair, blue eyes, unpierced ears, Apr'98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Aug 12 2020
Cold case: What happened at Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain Station in 1998?
image.jpeg

A reconstruction shows an unidentified woman who died at Broadway Station in 1998.

''Officials have not said how she died, nor have they said where at the station she was found. They believe she was between the ages of 30 and 40, and between 5'6" and 5'7".

The woman had dark brown hair and blue eyes. She was white.

Her ears were not pierced, and she wore a long red wool coat with a hood. She also had blue jeans on, and a pair of black "Cougar" brand boots.

In 22 years, she has not been identified.''

Coroner seeks help to identify woman who died at SkyTrain station two decades ago | Vancouver Sun
''At around 6 p.m. on April 11, 1998, a Caucasian woman, believed to have been between the ages of 30 and 40, died at the Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain Station in Vancouver, according to the coroner. The coroner did not say how she died.''

''Anyone with information that may help identify this woman is asked to contact either the Vancouver Police Department at 604 717-3321, or the B.C. Coroners Service’s Special Investigations Unit at 1 877 660-5077 or by email at: bccs.siu@gov.bc.ca.''

1534UFBC
''Date of Discovery: April 11, 1998
Location of Discovery: Vancouver, British Columbia
Estimated Date of Death: 1 day to 6 weeks
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 30-40 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'6" to 5'7"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Red coat with hood, blue jeans, black Cougar ankle boots.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
The deceased was found in Vancouver, British Columbia on April 11, 1998.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: BC Coroners Service
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 1-877-660-5077 or 604-660-2421
Agency E-Mail: BCCS.SIU(at)gov.bc.ca
Agency Case Number: 1998-0240-0579

Agency Name: Police Detachment Vancouver PD
Agency Phone Number: 604-717-3321, 604-925-7300, or 604-717-2533
Agency E-Mail:
Agency Case Number: 1998-80475

Agency Name: Crime Stoppers
Agency Phone Number: 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous tip submission: here

Information Source(s)
British Columbia Coroners Service

Admin Notes
Added: 4/8/20; Last Updated: 4/25/20''

FWIW
In case the uid female was visitingVancouver for a particular attraction, noting these 2 events in 1998..
Throwback to Prince William's Vancouver visit, 1998 - Macleans.ca
''It was March 24, 1998, and hundreds of teenage girls were crammed behind barriers outside a suburban Vancouver high school. The girls weren’t squealing for the Backstreet Boys or Leonardo DiCaprio — they were there to see William, a real-life prince.''

Radiohead Setlist at Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver
''Radiohead Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, BC - Apr 6, 1998 ''

1534UFBC
''Date of Discovery: April 11, 1998
Location of Discovery: Vancouver, British Columbia
Estimated Date of Death: 1 day to 6 weeks
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 30-40 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'6" to 5'7"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Red coat with hood, blue jeans, black Cougar ankle boots.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
The deceased was found in Vancouver, British Columbia on April 11, 1998.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: BC Coroners Service
Agency Phone Number: 1-877-660-5077 or 604-660-2421
Agency E-Mail: BCCS.SIU(at)gov.bc.ca
Agency Case Number: 1998-0240-0579

Agency Name: Police Detachment Vancouver PD
Agency Phone Number: 604-717-3321, 604-925-7300, or 604-717-2533
Agency E-Mail:
Agency Case Number:
1998-80475

Agency Name: Crime Stoppers
Agency Phone Number: 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous tip submission: here

Information Source(s)
British Columbia Coroners Service

Admin Notes
Added: 4/8/20; Last Updated: 4/25/20''

How can a person found on a train station have laid there for 6 weeks. Was she found in a rural environment along the tracks?

It looks like the station has been renovated a lot since then. In the photo on the Wikipedia page you can see that there is a bridge and some brush and trees along at least part of the tracks. It might have had even more grassy space back when she was found.

Commercial–Broadway station - Wikipedia

Also, it looks like the boots were relatively high-end Women | Cougar Shoes

It looks like the station has been renovated a lot since then. In the photo on the Wikipedia page you can see that there is a bridge and some brush and trees along at least part of the tracks. It might have had even more grassy space back when she was found.

Not to mention a long red wool coat$
Also keeping in mind that this was pre-9-1-1 so easier to cross the border from US.

In this video you can see there seems to be many spots around the station where remains might not be easily noticed, maybe all the construction post 1998 unearthed the woman.

Of note, imo, her ears are not pierced.

How can a person found on a train station have laid there for 6 weeks. Was she found in a rural environment along the tracks?

Coroner seeks help to identify woman who died at SkyTrain station two decades ago | Vancouver Sun
''At around 6 p.m. on April 11, 1998, a Caucasian woman, believed to have been between the ages of 30 and 40, died at the Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain Station in Vancouver, according to the coroner. The coroner did not say how she died.''

''Anyone with information that may help identify this woman is asked to contact either the Vancouver Police Department at 604 717-3321, or the B.C. Coroners Service’s Special Investigations Unit at 1 877 660-5077 or by email at: bccs.siu@gov.bc.ca.''

The quote from the article gives her exact date and time of death. Imo, DN's entry is incorrect. The coroner's specificity seem as though this was most likely a witnessed event. I wonder if she was strangled/stabbed/smothered by someone who got away before witnesses/police could intervene? There are some areas that look creepy in the photos posted on the Wiki page @annemc2 linked above. I could imagine a crime happening under the cover of the brushy areas.

ETA - DoeNetwork's information is likely taken from the UHR Interavtive Viewer which is linked in the "Information Source (s)" section of JD's profile. One day - 1 week is given as the PMI.

Last edited:
Sheryl Sheppard might be a match. I find she shares some similarities with the composite. She's reported as having blonde hair but (imo) it looks as though she had bleached-blonde over brown hair. From the circumstances given in her case summary it appears she most likely met with foul play. Although there remains the possibility that she could have voluntarily walked away or was abducted and held for a while. As I type that I realize abduction could be a very real possibility here considering she was proposed to on live national t.v. on New Year's Eve. Suppose some weirdo decided he was going to make her his instead. I can't help but wonder now whether she may have tried escaping a hostage situation. (MOO)
(I'm trying to include Sheryl's pic from the article linked below.)
sheryl-sheppard.jpg

image.jpeg
sheryl-sheppard-michael-lavoie-jpg.105204

SSheppard1.jpg
SSheppard.jpg

2337DFON - Sheryl Marie Sheppard
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...sheppard-focus-of-cbc-investigation-1.3857677
CANADA - Canada - Sheryl Sheppard, 29, Hamilton, Ont, 2 Jan 1998

Last edited:
Sheryl Sheppard might be a match. I find she shares some similarities with the composite. She's reported as having blonde hair but (imo) it looks as though she had bleached-blonde over brown hair. From the circumstances given in her case summary it appears she most likely met with foul play. Although there remains the possibility that she could have voluntarily walked away or was abducted and held for a while. As I type that I realize abduction could be a very real possibility here considering she was proposed to on live national t.v. on New Year's Eve. Suppose some weirdo decided he was going to make her his instead. I can't help but wonder now whether she may have tried escaping a hostage situation. (MOO)
sheryl-sheppard.jpg

image.jpeg

SSheppard1.jpg
SSheppard.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...sheppard-focus-of-cbc-investigation-1.3857677
Interesting, have not yet finished looking at pics of Sheryl, but so far- have not noticed her wearing any earrings.
Ws thread..

Interesting, have not yet finished looking at pics of Sheryl, but so far- have not noticed her wearing any earrings.
Ws thread..
I found this one pic ETA - (Blondie) in which she appears to be wearing ear jewelry of some kind. I can't tell if it's a pierced earring or some kind of clip-on jacket earring. Imo, it looks awkwardly positioned. I don't see earrings in any of the other pics that show her ears. So, I dunno. :confused:

ETA - I give up on trying to post these pics. :oops: There is a another pic where she looks as if she's wearing earrings. It's the one pic with the note she wrote to her mom.
sheryl-sheppard-blondie.jpg

Last edited:

they are expensive now but I remember them being quite affordable back then
I was a student with no money and I wore them

The quote from the article gives her exact date and time of death. Imo, DN's entry is incorrect. The coroner's specificity seem as though this was most likely a witnessed event. I wonder if she was strangled/stabbed/smothered by someone who got away before witnesses/police could intervene? There are some areas that look creepy in the photos posted on the Wiki page @annemc2 linked above. I could imagine a crime happening under the cover of the brushy areas.

ETA - DoeNetwork's information is likely taken from the UHR Interavtive Viewer which is linked in the "Information Source (s)" section of JD's profile. One day - 1 week is given as the PMI.

Being that specific she must have been still alive and declared dead at that particular time IMO. Why think of homicide immediately? The first thing that comes to mind is hit by a train.

Last edited:
sheryl-sheppard.jpg

image.jpeg

SSheppard1.jpg
SSheppard.jpg

I'm not sure about Canadian policy about identifiers, but wouldn't they have mentioned a tattoo (assuming her legs were intact)? Sheryl has a heart tattoo on her left ankle.

Being that specific she must have been still alive and declared dead at that particular time IMO. Why think of homicide immediately? The first thing that comes to mind is hit by a train.

I'm not sure about Canadian policy about identifiers, but wouldn't they have mentioned a tattoo (assuming her legs were intact)? Sheryl has a heart tattoo on her left ankle.

BBM
I get the impression this may have been a homicide because of the secrecy surrounding her manner of death. There'd be no harm in mentioning she had an accident or a natural event that took her life. We have numerous WS threads where it has been announced that the victim died from a tragic event such as drowning/MVA/suicide/etc. Why not in this case? Sounds to me as if they're withholding that info because it will likely be important to the investigation/conviction of a perpetrator.

IF these are Sheryl's remains the heart tattoo also could have been strategically withheld for ID purposes. I find that highly unlikely though, tbh. Still, I think we've seen enough hiccups in cases where information isn't always accurate or important bits are excluded for one reason or another.

BBM
I get the impression this may have been a homicide because of the secrecy surrounding her manner of death. There'd be no harm in mentioning she had an accident or a natural event that took her life. We have numerous WS threads where it has been announced that the victim died from a tragic event such as drowning/MVA/suicide/etc. Why not in this case? Sounds to me as if they're withholding that info because it will likely be important to the investigation/conviction of a perpetrator.

IF these are Sheryl's remains the heart tattoo also could have been strategically withheld for ID purposes. I find that highly unlikely though, tbh. Still, I think we've seen enough hiccups in cases where information isn't always accurate or important bits are excluded for one reason or another.

My guess is because Canada has much stricter privacy laws, they are very sparse with the information given, but others from Canada know this much better. A cause of death is sensitive information, especially when it is a suicide IMO. Hick ups, mistakes, leaving out essential information, sloppy work...it's all there, so it's theoretically possible they "forgot" to mention the tattoo or let it out on purpose.....It doesn't sound logical to me if your goal is to identify somebody.

My guess is because Canada has much stricter privacy laws, they are very sparse with the information given, but others from Canada know this much better. A cause of death is sensitive information, especially when it is a suicide IMO. Hick ups, mistakes, leaving out essential information, sloppy work...it's all there, so it's theoretically possible they "forgot" to mention the tattoo or let it out on purpose.....It doesn't sound logical to me if your goal is to identify somebody.
Often i read that a person has "fallen" on the tracks, it gives room for other perhaps less obvious possibilities, although sometimes the person really did fall (intoxicated) or was pushed, ect. imo, speculation.

Last edited:
Did i miss this (1996), or was it a printing error? rbbm.
VPD, coroner want help in cold case of deceased woman in red hooded coat
''The BC Coroners Service and Vancouver Police are asking for help identifying a woman who died at the Broadway SkyTrain station in Vancouver in 1996.

The Caucasian woman — between 30 and 40 years old — was found around 6 p.m. on April 11, 1998 at the SkyTrain station.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back