DNA Solves
DNA Solves

tarabull

Life is a puzzle.
Reaction score
Bear Clan Patrol helps husband search for missing wife
November 5, 2016

Snipped...
Zhimin (Maggie) Liu, 32, was last seen on Sunday in the River Heights neighbourhood.

...Liu is five-feet-tall, 120 pounds and has shoulder-length black hair and brown eyes. She may be wearing a grey jacket, dark-coloured pants and dark shoes, police said.

Anyone with information about Liu's whereabouts is asked to call the Winnipeg Police Service's missing persons unit at 204-986-6250.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lps-husband-search-for-missing-wife-1.3838577

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mother-travels-hong-kong-missing-maggie-liu-1.3855389

A desperate mother travelled from China to Winnipeg to search for her only daughter, Maggie Liu, who has been missing since Oct. 30.

Chang Guiying is from Jiamusi, China, which is more than 1,500 kilometres northeast of Beijing.
"I just don't believe she is just gone, without saying goodbye," said Chang through a translator. "The last time she talked to me, she invited me to come to Winnipeg to celebrate our Chinese New Year."

(..)

"She told me almost nothing about herself during the two years," said Chen Lei, who is Liu's closest friend from China.

Chen said she now knows her friend was going through depression.

"I had no idea from her," said Chang. "I feel so bad from the bottom of my heart because I didn't take perfect care of her."

BBM

This is very troubling -living in a foreign country where the language is hard and you have no friends is very isolating. Is her husband also an immigrant? I wonder why they stayed in Winnepeg if things were tough for her? Because she worked at a church I feel like she would have confided in someone if she needed help, but it is hard to say when one is depressed. I don't really like the husband's story - 90% of the time a woman disappears while the husband is asleep, it isn't because she left. So she left behind her wallet and credit cards, but did she have a phone? keys? did she leave on foot? from approximately where? If her mom believes she is a live after speaking with detectives, that is a very good sign - maybe she took off and is trying to head back to China? It has been nearly two weeks, so I hope they have confirmed whether ot not they think she is even in the area. My thoughts are with her friend and mother.

This is very troubling -living in a foreign country where the language is hard and you have no friends is very isolating. Is her husband also an immigrant? I wonder why they stayed in Winnepeg if things were tough for her? Because she worked at a church I feel like she would have confided in someone if she needed help, but it is hard to say when one is depressed. I don't really like the husband's story - 90% of the time a woman disappears while the husband is asleep, it isn't because she left. So she left behind her wallet and credit cards, but did she have a phone? keys? did she leave on foot? from approximately where? If her mom believes she is a live after speaking with detectives, that is a very good sign - maybe she took off and is trying to head back to China? It has been nearly two weeks, so I hope they have confirmed whether ot not they think she is even in the area. My thoughts are with her friend and mother.

Today's news report said Dimagiba and Lui met and married in Hong Kong before moving to their River Heights home in 2014 and she disappeared in the evening without taking her cell phone, wallet or passport..

The Red River is within walking distance from their house in River Heights.

Volunteers from Drag the Red and Bear Clan Patrol began searching the Red River on Wednesday in a canoe rented by Dimagiba.

Sgt. Shaunna Neufeld from the Winnipeg Police Services said a number of police resources have been dedicated to finding Liu. She said police resources had been deployed on the Red and Assiniboine Rivers – the riverbank had also been searched.

“I support her as much as I can. I tell her everything is okay and that we have a good life in Winnipeg,” her husband added.
"She’s a very nice person, very sweet, she takes care of me a lot, cooks my lunch, packs it up, kisses me good night.
I mean she's my wife and I love her unconditionally," Dimagiba said. "As a husband I have to do something, I can't just be waiting here idol and praying that she just pops up."

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/volunteers-search-red-river-for-missing-winnipeg-woman-1.3142198

The Assiniboine River flows along the north side of River Heights. Here are 2 maps which show where WPS searched for Lui by boat. WPS searched the Assiniboine River for Liu but only until the Forks according to Dimagiba. "I'm hoping to be able to search the Red River itself," he said.

http://now.winnipeg.ca/maps/river-heights-map

http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/search-maps/neighbourhood-840

There are 3 bridges that connect River Heights to the North side of the Assiniboine River. This fast-flowing, frigid and murky river flows East and connects to the Red River in downtown Winnipeg at “The Forks”. Because the Assiniboine River ‘winds’ through the City, normally when bodies sink and resurface, they flow into the bank and are spotted and recovered within days.

Unfortunately I can't insert my picture of the Assiniboine River to show you how narrow it is and how it winds its way to The Forks. The Red River flows north into Lake Winnipeg.

Maggie’s husband, Podge Dimagiba, said to the best of his knowledge, his wife was only wearing a very thin coat with no footwear when she disappeared late Sunday night sometime between 11:30 p.m. and 1:45 a.m. Dimagiba, who is from the Philippines, met Liu, who is from mainland China, while they were both in Hong Kong. They fell in love and three years ago moved to Winnipeg to start a family, Dimagiba said. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/missing-woman-boat-wanted-1.3832256

Although a group of Winnipeg volunteers who comb the Red River for clues of missing persons have already wrapped up their search for the winter, one founder of ‘Drag the Red’ wanted a last-minute look on Wednesday.

Just because the water searches have ceased for now, that doesn’t necessarily mean Maggie’s remains won’t be found before the ice melts if she’s in the river or in the densely wooded area surrounding the riverbanks. When the Assiniboine and Red Rivers are frozen solid, there is a lot of recreational activity on it. Lots of people snowmobile, ski, skate, play hockey and other types of team sports so there is a good chance someone may spot her body if it’s in this area. Because she might not have had her shoes on when she disappeared, she likely didn’t walk very far from her home in River Heights. When a person dies in a river, their body normally sinks to the bottom and resurfaces after several days, as long as it doesn’t get caught on something below the surface.

Lisa Gibson and Jill Tardiff, who were suffering with a mental illness, drowned themselves in the Assiniboine and Red Rivers. Lisa died in July 2014 and Jill Tardiff died in September 2015. After several days, both of their bodies were recovered, however, the first water search for Jill Tardif was unsuccessful probably because it hadn’t yet resurfaced.

Jeffrey Boucher, a teacher in Whitby, Ontario went missing on Jan. 13, 2015 while he was out for his morning run. A robotic underwater camera on loan from the Toronto police was used by Durham Regional Police in February to search the water along the Whitby waterfront but it found no sign of Boucher. However, on Saturday, March 13, 2014, police confirmed a body was found by the Lake Ontario shoreline that they believed was that of the 52-year-old Boucher. A passerby located the body around 2:20 p.m.

If Maggie drowned in the water and resurfaced, the ice will likely form around her body making it visible to those who access the river over the winter. Her thick black hair will create a sharp contrast against the white snow. For this reason,
it is important that the news stations in Winnipeg let their viewers know she is missing until she is found.

Something seems "fishy" here to me about this case.( lot of things) Firstly it's uncommon at 11:30 pm for the husband not to be noticing his wife isn't in bed with him, or in the house. Usually a man will check and see where his wife is-right ?? Yes, he could have fallen asleep-"possible". What also bothered me is that she left with "no shoes" ??? hmmmh-why ??? even if I was going to commit suicide which this case is trying to make you believe, I would certainly wear shoes, then decide where I wanted to die, and walk there comfortably. Why would she leave at night ??? when the husband would want her in bed with him, and have his eye on her ??? Why not just "not" come home after work, it's dark at 5:30 pm, and text the husband that she'd be home later, as she had some things to do--why wait til 11:30 pm at night ??? Lastly, I read the husband "was desperately" looking for a "boat" to help search the river-why is he so insistent on the "river" ??? These questions really knaw at me, and I have bad feelings about this case-"maybe foul play". I'm sure the police have looked into her mental health situation ( maybe depression) their financial situation, and was there a life insurance policy on her ??? I'd be very interested to know these things, however I can appreciate the police have to keep things very "quiet" and not disclose facts that could ruin the case. I guess it's possible she took off "barefoot" at 11:30 pm, and decided to check out of life, but somehow I just don't think that's the case here. Time will tell.

'Where is she?' Maggie Liu still missing, 1 year later

One year after 32-year-old Maggie Liu disappeared from River Heights, the volunteers who helped search for her still wonder where she is.

<snipped>

In an email statement, the Winnipeg Police Service said Liu's case is still an "open" and "active investigation with the missing persons unit." They ask anyone with information to come forward.

Liu's husband, Podge Dimagiba, is "still looking" for her, but declined an interview.

It seems as if she is still missing?
This page was updated in Dec. 2021

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyme.as1