Canadian man, Sylvain Valade, died protecting daughter in Sint Maarten, June 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Canadian man died protecting daughter in Sint Maarten, family says
image.jpg

June 9, 2019
"A Quebec man who died following an alleged robbery attempt in Sint Maarten was shot while trying to protect his daughter, his family said.
A family member identified the Canadian victim as Sylvain Valade from Ste-Agathe-des-Monts, a town in the Laurentians region north of Montreal.
Global Affairs Canada said Saturday a Canadian citizen had died in Florida after an incident in the Caribbean nation, but declined to provide further information.
The victim's daughter, Yanie Valade, paid tribute to her father in an emotional Facebook post, saying he died a hero.
"The images are constantly turning in my head, and the sound of the shot haunts me," she wrote.
"My beloved papa, you left as a hero, you saved my life and you protected me until your last breath, just like you always did."

• 'You left as a hero': Daughter of Canadian shot in Sint Maarten says he died protecting her
  • “This was a senseless act of violence perpetrated against another human being, which we will not tolerate.”

The Canadian was shot during an armed robbery in the vicinity of the Drift Wood Beach Bar, near the country’s international airport on Wednesday. Police said he was with his daughter at the time.

According to the Police Force of Sint Maarten, the victim was found bleeding on the ground. He was stabilized and later flown out of the country to Florida for further medical treatment, where he died.

Minister of Justice Cornelius De Weever said that the investigation has the “highest level of priority” and that they “fully intend to prosecute those responsible.”

Global Affairs Canada told CTV News on Saturday that “Canadian consular officials are in contact with local authorities in Florida and are providing consular assistance to the family.”

Police are asking for witnesses to come forward.

Rbbm.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-man-dies-after-being-shot-in-st-maarten-1.5168049
"Sylvain Valade, 48, died in hospital Friday night.

Local police said Valade and his daughter were attacked by a stranger Wednesday night in the Beacon Hill area. They said there was a brief struggle and Valade was shot.

The suspect then jumped into a small vehicle and fled the scene. Police say three other vehicles sped off at the same time.

Valade was taken to a hospital in Florida, where he later died.

"Canadian consular officials are in contact with local authorities in Florida to gather additional information and are ready to provide the necessary consular assistance," Brittany Fletcher, a spokesperson for Global Affairs Canada, said in an email.

In a Facebook post, St. Maarten police asked for witnesses — "mainly those persons who were in the immediate vicinity when the robbery took place" — to come forward. "
"It is definitely in the best interest of Sint Maarten that we do our utmost to bring those responsible for this senseless act of violence to justice."

three cars so at the minimum three people involved

I wonder if the suspects were targeting his daughter intending to abduct/rape as well as the robbery

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back