CAR SEAT discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the padding on the seat not protect the back of his head?

The thought of him banging his head on that seat makes me so sad:(

We use this seat. There is not a whole lot of padding once the infant insert is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted it on another thread too put wanted to post it here. Cooper was for sure in the Chicco Keyfit 30 at least in the one picture of him in a seat online...

I don't think there are any recent pictures of him in the seat, but here's a listing for the black and red Chicco Keyfit 30 on ebay http://m.ebay.com/itm/311003445342?nav=SEARCH and some other pictures from a for sale ad http://www.orangedove.net/chicco-keyfit-30-infant-car-seat-n606.html

Then here's a picture of a younger Cooper in his car seat. It looks the same down to the white piping behind his head http://rollingout.com/criminal-behavior/disturbing-details-emerge-hot-car-baby-death-georgia/

He has about an inch or inch and a half from the top of the shell in this picture so I'm assuming he was probably less than 16 months old in this particular picture. He may have had less room to the top of the shell if he was facing forward with his head up. You can also search Chicco Keyfit 30 red and black to see other pictures of the car seat with out a child in it.

Can you turn of the airbag? I would be so freaked out to have somebody else's child in my front seat! Our babysitter has a two sitter car with no back seat. I usually give her my car if she has to take him somewhere, but twice she had to use her own car so I had to strap him rear facing in her front passenger seat. However, she has some sort of key she can use to disable the airbag and I made her do it in front of me! I'm so overprotected, lol! I was a mess until she let know they had arrived safe!
You can get a key to turn off the airbag, but you need an exemption from the Department of Transportation to do so. I needed it for my own car because I couldn't get 10 inches back from the steering wheel and still reach the pedals because I have short legs and this car was a large car.

You can get a key to turn off the airbag, but you need an exemption from the Department of Transportation to do so. I needed it for my own car because I couldn't get 10 inches back from the steering wheel and still reach the pedals because I have short legs and this car was a large car.

I did not know that! I wondered why my car didn't come with a key to turn off the airbag! I thought it was just an extra special feature of her car, lol!

I did not know that! I wondered why my car didn't come with a key to turn off the airbag! I thought it was just an extra special feature of her car, lol!
I had to have it installed and proof that I needed it. Thing is, when I have to drive, I can't do it from the back seat, and I'm petite, 5'0". I have short legs.

What if you have a pickup with only a front seat? I know they can ticket you if the air bag is on. I have always wondered.
We have a 65 Ford, we had to put lap belts in.
I hate riding in it. I don't feel safe.
No grandchildren of mine will ever ride in it either. No air bags, but nope. Not gonna happen.

What if you have a pickup with only a front seat? I know they can ticket you if the air bag is on. I have always wondered.
We have a 65 Ford, we had to put lap belts in.
I hate riding in it. I don't feel safe.
No grandchildren of mine will ever ride in it either. No air bags, but nope. Not gonna happen.
Children are allowed to ride in pickups if there is only one seat. Don't know about the airbags though as hubby's is a '92 Nissan without one.

Can you turn of the airbag? I would be so freaked out to have somebody else's child in my front seat! Our babysitter has a two sitter car with no back seat. I usually give her my car if she has to take him somewhere, but twice she had to use her own car so I had to strap him rear facing in her front passenger seat. However, she has some sort of key she can use to disable the airbag and I made her do it in front of me! I'm so overprotected, lol! I was a mess until she let know they had arrived safe!

Unfortunately, no. I do place her seat as far back as possible, though. She routinely rides in the front seat with her mother, and her mother knows she rides in mine from time to time. (Not legally with mom, since their back seat is never full of passengers.) I try to only transport her when I don't have all three of mine with me, but sometimes I'm not so lucky.

He has a long sleeve shirt on. And you can see the top openings for the restraints for a large child. You can also see Coopers leg or some else s hand/arm in the lower left by the buckles. It also looks like he doesn't have all his teeth in yet. So maybe 13 to 15 months?

I was catching up in the General thread reading the pages discussing the car seat being RF and speculation about why Cooper was recently switched back.

I wonder if Cooper sat FF if he could reach the back of the driver's seat with his feet. My kids thought it was WAY too much fun to kick the back of my seat while I drove. I know his vehicle was a smaller SUV, he couldn't use the 'I forgot' excuse if Cooper would kick the seat and essentially remind him he was there.

Just thinking out loud. MOO!

He has a long sleeve shirt on. And you can see the top openings for the restraints for a large child. You can also see Coopers leg or some else s hand/arm in the lower left by the buckles. It also looks like he doesn't have all his teeth in yet. So maybe 13 to 15 months?

That's exactly the age range I was thinking! Good catch on the teeth and cool weather clothing!

Weird.

My car has a button you push to turn off the airbag.

A lot of the newer cars will automatically disable the passenger airbag if the weight of the passenger is too low. My van is 2009 and it does this and a light comes on telling me it's disabled.

I think it depends upon what state you're in, perhaps? Or perhaps the year/model of the vehicle?

We could always easily disable the passenger side airbag in both our vehicles with the push of a button.... Of course, we've been driving '00 and '04 vehicles for years. The '04 had the LATCH system, at least.

I am sure that is exactly what we will see at trial. Bet money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14