Cases That Haunt You

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are so many but if I had to choose one; The Springfield Three.

How three people can vanish and be gone almost 23 years is such a mystery.

ETA: I really wish the thread on here could be opened again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jodi Huisentruit is also an interesting case as it reminds me that you should always make as much noise as possible and never, ever get into a car, even if they have a weapon, even if it doesn't always work, as it didn't in Jodi's case.

I know there are a lot of reasons why this may not be possible, being knocked out, etc.

From what it looks like, Jodi put up a fight and I've never been able to figure out why no one heard. It was a time of the morning that other people should have been up and it should have been quiet. I wonder if she was putting up struggle but possibly wasn't screaming.

Just a note: The State Of Nebraska has just voted in its' Unicameral to get rid of the death penalty.

Despite the fact that it is overwhelmingly supported by the people of the Nebraska.

Our Governor: Pete Ricketts will veto the bill, but there were enough votes to over ride the veto.

There is going to be a lot of work on those legislatures who initially voted for this but may not be willing to over ride the Governor's veto.

It was about 4am, I don't think many people are awake at that time? Also IIRC someone did hear a scream and a man's name being called but why they didn't call the police? Who knows.

There are so many but if I had to choose one; The Springfield Three.

How three people can vanish and be gone almost 23 years is such a mystery.

ETA: I really wish the thread on here could be opened again.

Woah. It's closed? Why?

It was about 4am, I don't think many people are awake at that time? Also IIRC someone did hear a scream and a man's name being called but why they didn't call the police? Who knows.

I think people just always believe someone else is going to call the police, they figure if I heard it so did someone else, and they're probably close, maybe saw something and I don't want to look like an idiot if it's a couple of drunks messing around.

People make hundreds of excuses as to why they don't do something, I often wonder how they feel afterwards?

In my own state of Nebraska - it's Ricky Chadek - age 11 murdered in 1986 - I only live a couple of blocks from where he was kidnapped.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=67389839

It will be opened if there are any new updates in the case. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Yeah it's been closed for about a year. Too many arguments I think :(

I remember looking through some of the Springfield Three threads a few years ago. Their case was on Unsolved Mysteries when I was a kid, and I try to check-in on cases UM profiled.
I didn't remember the threads being so controversial.
This is similar to the Amy Bradley disappearance: also covered by UM, disappearance of a young woman, still unsolved many years later, generates lots of controversy/passionate opinions that shut down WS threads.
Thanks for replying to my original question.

I'd posted this list a while back in another thread about missing persons...and these are still just a few of many I think about often....
What makes me so sad...is the fact there ARE so so many...there shouldn't be ;(

Moira Anderson - missing - aged 11 Coatbridge Scotland - February 23 1957

Mary Rachel Trlica - aged 17, Lisa Renee Wilson - aged 14 & Julie Ann Moseley - aged 9 (The Fort Worth Three) - missing - Fort Worth Texas - December 23 1974

Johnny Gosch - missing - aged 12 - West Des Moines Iowa - September 5 1982

Tara Leigh Calico - missing - aged 19 - Belen New Mexico - September 20 1988

Jacob Wetterling - missing - aged 11 - St. Joseph Minnesota - October 22 1989

Michael Dunahee - missing - aged 4 - Victoria BC Canada - March 24 1991

Ben Needham - missing - aged 21 months - Island of Kos Greece (on holiday with parents...home was Sheffield UK) - July 24 1991

Sara Wood - missing - aged 12 - Litchfield NY - August 18 1993

Kyron Horman - missing - aged 7 - Portland Oregon - June 4 2010

Not missing...but mysteries... The Boy in the Box I find particularly haunting....poor little man... :'(

The Whitechapel Murders aka Jack the Ripper - Whitechapel District - East End - London UK - 1888

Elizabeth Short aka The Black Dahlia - aged 22 - Los Angeles CA - January 15 1947

The Boy in the Box - found deceased - age estimate 4-6 - Phildelphia PA - February 25 1957

The Zodiac Killer - San Francisco Area - December 1968 - October 1969 *possibly more*

Angie Housman story mentioned somewhere in the beginning of this thread is heartbreaking - almost like a vile proof of the idea that no good deed goes unpunished as she was very friendly with anyone. *sigh*

I saw comments to this story where people said that they called a police regarding a man that they saw in the park the day she was murdered, but those calls were ignored.

Kyron Horman is so sad - One of those cases where you know who killed them, but just not enough evidence.

When I look at his picture he reminds me so much of one of my haunted cases - Richard Chadek - 11 - Omaha, NE 1986. I think their pictures look so much alike.

At least Richard's parents have the relief of his body being found, Kyron's parents may never know where he is.

Nebraska's legislature over rode the Governor's veto and ended the death penalty in Nebraska, leaving some truly deserving criminals to now get life in prison.

One - Michael Ryan died a couple days ago. His was a torture murder that I can't even write what he did.

John Lotter - Killed Teena Brandon and two other people who were unlucky enough to be at her house. This is the case that the movie "Boy's Don't Cry" - starring Hilary Swank who won an academy award for, is based on.

Raymond Mata Jr.- Killed and dismembered his girlfriends 3 year old son - part of the body was found in his dogs bowl .

Carey Dean Moore - Murdered 2 taxi drivers back in the 1970's.

Roberto Martinez-Marinero,
- murdered a 13 year old girl and her 7 year old brother so they couldn't testify that he had been with their mother who had been found almost beaten to death.

Jorge Galindo, Erick Vela, and Jose Sandoval - In the course of robbing a bank in a small town, murdered all five employee's and customers who were in the bank.

Jeffrey Hessler - murdered a 15 year old newspaper girl. Also pled guilty to raping another newspaper girl.

Roy Ellis - convicted sex offender - murdered 12 year old girl after she got off her school bus.

Marco Torres - murdered 2 men to cover up a robbery.

Plus 3 more who would probably have been put on death row.

Nikko Jenkins - murdered 4 people randomly for no reason - after being released from prison.

Dr. Anthony Garcia - murdered out of revenge for being fired about a decade before - killed 1 doctor who was involved in the firing along with his wife. Several years earlier he had killed the 2nd doctor's maid and 11 year old son who were the only ones at home at the time - I find these murders creepy because they occurred so long after what the killer was upset about and then he traveled from another state (I think it was Illinois) and waited several years between the two double murders.

Roberto Martinez-Marinero - killed his mother, put his 11 month old brother in a dumpster (he survived)and threw his 5 year old brother into the river (he did not survive)

Nebraska does have a law where they have 90 days to collect signatures on a petition and if they get enough, it will put a hold on the bill and the death penalty would then have to be put on a ballet and voted on by the people of Nebraska.

I am really fascinated by old cases. So my list would be:
The Saxtown Murders, in Illinois
The Villisca Axe Murders
Black Dahlia
Jack the Ripper
Zodiac
And anything that involves the kidnapping and death of a child. :-(
The St. Louis Jane Doe really makes me sad. Poor baby.

Good ones Rev.! My top 10:

10-Zodiac (1968-69)
9-Julia Wallace Murder (1931)
8-New Orleans Axeman (1918-19)
7-Boston Strangler (1962-64)
6-Original Night Stalker (1979-86)
5-Jack the Stripper (1963-65)
4-Black Dahlia (1947)
3-Texarkana Phantom (1946)
2-Jack the Ripper (1888)
1-Cleveland Torso Slayer (1934-38)

The case that still tears my heart out is the Teghan Skiba case in Johnston County, NC. Teghan's mom had to go to summer Army Reserve military training out of state for two weeks, and she left her only child, her 4-year-old daughter Teghan, with Jonathan Richardson, her new boyfriend. Teghan's paternal grandparents wanted to keep her for those two weeks, but her mom wanted her to stay with Jonathan who was 21, not well employed, and lived in a tool shed which was in his parents backyard-- the shed was wired for light, but there was no bathroom or running water. When Richardson left the shed, he would leave her locked in the shed by herself.

Teghan died July 19, 2010, three days after Richardson took her to a local emergency room, claiming she hit her head while jumping on a bed. She was transferred to a major hospital soon after admission to the local hospital. Medical staff found she had been beaten, had 66 bite marks on her body (the bite marks matched Richardson's teeth), some of her fingernails had been pulled out, and she was sexually abused. An autopsy stated that the child died from blunt force head injuries. She had been with Richardson for 10 days. Many people who examined her or saw her injuries said it was the worst case of torture they had ever seen.

In April, 2014, Richardson was tried and convicted of 1st degree murder, 1st degree kidnapping, child abuse, and sex offense with child by adult. He was sentenced to death for 1st degree murder, and he was sentenced 25--30 years for the other offenses.

This case is by far the worst I have ever seen for offenses against a child, and I have seen some bad ones. I just cannot understand what would make someone do that to a cute, sweet, trusting child of barely 4 years old.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Teghan-Alyssa-Skiba-4-Smithfield-July-2010-1

...In April, 2014, Richardson was tried and convicted of 1st degree murder, 1st degree kidnapping, child abuse, and sex offense with child by adult. He was sentenced to death for 1st degree murder, and he was sentenced 25--30 years for the other offenses...

RSBM. I wish I hadn't read your post, as Teghan's death will now haunt me.

No one will ever change my opinion about capital punishment, for the worst-of-the-worst-of-the-worst offenders. Jonathan Richardson lost his right to live, and his death is the closest thing to justice we will ever have.

Pamela Tinsley, disappeared from Oklahoma City, Lake Over Holser, 1987. 19 years old, stark blonde hair, wearing a bathing suit and shorts. Took a ride on a motorcycle and never seen again. She left her car, puse and told her friends she would be right back.

http://coldcaseok.com/article/tinsley

I went to high school with her. Terribly sad story for her parents. Her older brother with mental illness was homeless and found dead a few years back. Their only children.

This is Charley Project's report on Pam's case. It lists her disappearance in 1986:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/tinsley_pamela.html

Satch

Here is a case that has always intrigued me (but not really haunted me):
In September 1971, Thelma "Polly" Melton, 58, disappeared from The Great Smoky Mountains National Park in TN.
Polly and her husband belonged to a group of about 10 families who rented out a campsite and lived in Airstreams. "The group did not admit any newcomers into their campground unless all the families voted unanimously to admit them. Most of them were retired, came in April or May, and stayed until October or November."
Polly had been camping there for almost 20 years. On the day she went missing she took a walk with two long-time friends, Red and Trula. This was a regular activity. The trail is four miles, round trip, allows vehicles and is considered an easy trail.
On the return trip, "without explanation, Polly began to walk very fast, as if she intended to leave them behind."
"Just as Polly was going out of earshot, Red called out, “I wouldn’t want to be in a foot race with you, Polly.” Polly looked back, grinned impishly and chuckled as though satisfied with the situation. She picked up her pace and kept going."
Polly was not back at camp when her friends returned. They began an immediate search which involved many other campers. Within three hours the Park Rangers were involved and launched a wide-scale search.
Many hours and resources were put into locating Polly. Most of the Rangers knew her. There were no signs anyone had left the trail. There was no area between her location and the campsite where she could have fallen down an embankment, or other similar fate. Bear & other wild animal attacks were ruled out.
Polly has never been located.
The quotes are from the book,
Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains by Juanitta Baldwin and Ester Grubb.
Here is the Charley Project link
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/melton_thelma.html

It was actually September of 1981 that Polly walked away from her friends very fast, over a hill, and out of site in the Great Smoky Mountains. I always believed that she voluntarily wanted to disappear, but as to the reasons why, not sure.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back