Casey Now Referred To By LE As A Suspect! Discuss!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What exactly do they consider the difference between a "person of interest" and a "suspect?" Do they have different definitions?

They're meaningless. A person might very well be a suspect even tough not openly deemed one. I'd bet anything that Casey was a suspect from day one, and that she was also the only suspect in this case. The term can't be used at her trial. And LE's case isn't any stronger or weaker based upon how it classifies Casey. It means nothing.

Okay, what am I missing? On the first set of discovery documents, where officers are interviewing Roy H., the box that says "Suspect" is filled in with Casey's name. :confused:
I thought from the very beginning she was a suspect.

You're probably right. Casey was a suspect from day one, I'd say.

why did LE say a couple days ago that no new charges were pending..Are they bluffing? Trying to make the suspect feel more comfortable and blab maybe?

I hope they are because I would take this bluff anyday. This is good news and it seems they are closing to getting her. It seems they know more than they are letting on. I think they are doing it for a reason.

LE has NEVER referred to Casey as a suspect in public or to the press until today. They have always referred to her as a "person of interest" . Suspect holds much more weight and implicates her in the crime.

The term "suspect" carries no weight at all. Otherwise, all LE would have to do, in any case, not just this one, would be to namecall the desired target a "suspect", tell it to the trial judge, and score points. Casey's fate will rest on the strength of the evidence gathered for and against her, which will presumably be presented at her trial.

It's all about the evidence, not these meaningless designations.

I hope they are because I would take this bluff anyday. This is good news and it seems they are closing to getting her. It seems they know more than they are letting on. I think they are doing it for a reason.

yes, its looking like this is all very calculated on LE part!!!!!:woohoo:

The difference is evidence.

POI no evidence ..... Suspect = evidence

He's absolutely right. There is no difference. Those verbal designations LE uses to characterize individuals connected to a criminal investigation are meaningless.

According to my friend the Captain with the Sheriff's department, the difference is once a person is called a suspect they are planning to file charges at a later date. He said many people could be "a person of interest" in a case, but until charges were pending they would not be called a suspect.

Does anyone know what the technical difference is between being a "person of interest" and a "suspect"? Is there a legal difference???

I'm just now on page two of this 7 page thread. I'm behind and don't know what's on page seven. This might've been explained by someone other than me.

There is no difference. No rights are lost. No rights are gained. Nothing is conferred. Nothing changes. The terms have no operative effect on anything. Criminal cases and investigations are all about the evidence. Nothing but admissible evidence will convict or acquit a defendant. These verbal designations are fodder for the news and for Nancy Grace. But the terms have no practical effect. Casey's situation didn't get any worse simply because she's a suspect. Her situation is bleak today. It was bleak yesterday. Unless better evidence came in today, her position would be no worse than it was yesterday.

I just watched the video and the reporter asked, so is Casey now a suspect. The Captain didn't say yes. He said with all the evidence yada yada granted she WOULD BE a suspect. So he never said IS a suspect even once. I understand he is insinuating that she is but he didn't say Yes or she IS.

I watched it over and over agian. A reporter asks "she is a suspect?" and the sheriff says "correct".

I think the point here is that with the recent release of the witness list, and changing to calling her a suspect, that charges are coming down the line fairly soon. The semantics of suspect vs person of interest really aren't that important.

The difference is evidence.

POI no evidence ..... Suspect = evidence

Not necessarily. Often, LE will refer to a person as a POI even though they've gathered overwhelming and powerful evidence against the person. LE is allowed to lie and mislead the public, even intentionally, about the status of their ongoing criminal investigation. That's why these terms often are useless.

I'm not suggesting that the case against Casey is weak. Quite the opposite. I would suppose that the case against Casey is solid. What I am suggesting is that it was probably very solid weeks and weeks ago, and that she was the only suspect from day one,and that, therefore, nothing has really changed, other than this PR blitz.

He's absolutely right. There is no difference. Those verbal designations LE uses to characterize individuals connected to a criminal investigation are meaningless.

I really wish I had more time to search this forum, because I recall reading an excellent series of posts here that support your statement above.

I'd like to get excited by this, but IIRC correctly from the previously documented links, there really is no discernible difference legally between POI and Suspect. Just a preferred choice of semantics.

I wish this was significant in a way I could believe means more certain justice in regards to appropriate charges. Unfortunately, I don't think it is vastly different yet - until the next round of charges hits the docket.

According to my friend the Captain with the Sheriff's department, the difference is once a person is called a suspect they are planning to file charges at a later date. He said many people could be "a person of interest" in a case, but until charges were pending they would not be called a suspect.

This could be true. But being called a suspect doesn't guarantee that charges will be filed. And a person doesn't need to be designated as a suspect in order for LE to file charges. The term is not a legal prerequisite to anything. LE does not acquire any greater rights by naming someone as a suspect. That's why, in the technical sense, the term means nothing.

I suppose that LE might be signalling that their case against Casey got stronger, and that this is one way to send that signal without necessarily revealing their actual hand. But the term itself has no legal effect whatsoever.

I thought I'd heard that once LE names someone a suspect, they then have a certain amount of time to file charges? Anyone know?

I really wish I had more time to search this forum, because I recall reading an excellent series of posts here that support your statement above.

I'd like to get excited by this, but IIRC correctly from the previously documented links, there really is no discernible difference legally between POI and Suspect. Just a preferred choice of semantics.

I'll try and find the thread. They were my posts and links. The topic came up under the guise of discussing Miranda warnings a few weeks ago.

I watched it over and over agian. A reporter asks "she is a suspect?" and the sheriff says "correct".

is this the video at WESH? because that one the reporter says so is the sheriff's dept. at this point calling Casey a suspect and he responds with well she is the last one with Caylee . . . and granted she would be a suspect. There was no correct in his answer. Is there another video that I have missed?

http://www.wesh.com/video/17600747/

This is the video I am referring to.

I thought I'd heard that once LE names someone a suspect, they then have a certain amount of time to file charges? Anyone know?

That's incorrect. Absolutely nothing is triggered by calling someone a suspect. Again, the term has no legal or technical effect on the case whatsoever.

This does give me hope she will be charged with murder. LE has done a rock solid job.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet8vip
Back