Cause of Death - Charles and Braden Powell **Warning-Graphic Thread**

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think that those poor boys could have been trying to escape from a window after they realized their father was a maniac. I can picture them running to a window or locked door and both of them struggling to open it with their backs toward their ax-slinging dad. If the fire was already roaring, they may have already been close to unconsciousness at the time Josh slashed at them to prevent them from saving themselves. The carbon monoxide was the official COD, but the chop wounds could have also been fatal if their lungs weren't already filled with the fumes.

I think that the ME will be able to determine a great deal about their last moments from those "chop wounds." From an article that I found: "Usually the lower end (heel) of the axe strikes the surface first, which produces a deeper incised wound than the upper (toe) end. The deeper end indicates the position of the assailant. In the skull, the undermined edge of the fracture defect is the direction in which the force is exerted, and the slanted edge is the side from which the force was directed. " (Chop Wounds are toward the end of the page) http://healthdrip.com/what-is-an-incised-wound/

I really don't understand why he would have taken the $7,000 out? If you were getting ready to kill yourself why in the world would you take $7,000 out unless you were planning on fleeing.

I really don't understand why he would have taken the $7,000 out? If you were getting ready to kill yourself why in the world would you take $7,000 out unless you were planning on fleeing.

Maybe fleeing was his first plan, but then he abandoned it in favor of Plan B.

To leave for his sister to avoid the bank account going through probate? It is now being reported that he sent her FOUR emails that she refused to turn over, so police have confisgated her phone: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/su...g-to-Josh-Powells/jcp0BFYcike6Su5ApM3X-Q.cspx

Maybe it is his dad's money that was transferred to his own account to send the jailbird as needed, and again freeing it from probate? I can see that being a detail that Steve would have thought of if he knew what Josh was planning.

ETA: What they confisgated from Alina.

I still would like to know how the positive ID was made. I thought maybe the home was chosen because of the proximity of the road behind the house to the back door. I wouldn't have put it past JP to have put substitutes in place.

I know that I'm in denial and really don't want to believe those beautiful boys are gone. :(

I got the impression that the woman supervising the visit was quite familiar with JP and knew very well that he was the one at the door who took the kids inside.

I think the scenario we are wondering about is whether he had another person (dead body) in the house and he escaped out the back or whatever. That he did do the murders and started the fire in such a way that he could get away (remote detonation?).

I don't think that's what he did (I do think it was him they found dead in the house). But if he had done it that way, it would also explain the "necessity" for hatcheting the boys before starting the fire (so they wouldn't be able to run out before he blew the house up).

If he didn't escape the fire, as we are wondering about, then the only other thing I can think of was that he wanted to give that money to someone.

I think the scenario we are wondering about is whether he had another person (dead body) in the house and he escaped out the back or whatever. That he did do the murders and started the fire in such a way that he could get away (remote detonation?).

I don't think that's what he did (I do think it was him they found dead in the house). But if he had done it that way, it would also explain the "necessity" for hatcheting the boys before starting the fire (so they wouldn't be able to run out before he blew the house up).

Oy, that possiblity never occurred to me. Sounds like something from a soap opera but it could happen, I suppose. But I think they used dental records to positively identify his body.

If he didn't escape the fire, as we are wondering about, then the only other thing I can think of was that he wanted to give that money to someone.

Maybe he had someone promise they wouldn't say what they know if he gave them $7K worrying that would happen after he was gone?

Oy, that possiblity never occurred to me. Sounds like something from a soap opera but it could happen, I suppose. But I think they used dental records to positively identify his body.

I agree that it most likely was him they found. But does anyone have a link to MSM stating that they positively ID'd him (through dental records or other means)?

Maybe he had someone promise they wouldn't say what they know if he gave them $7K worrying that would happen after he was gone?

Although, of course, after he is gone they could say whatever they want. . .

Honestly, I think 2-3 minutes is more than adequate. I'm sorry to be so graphic, but three blows of an axe would take seconds, followed by dropping a lighter on the floor. I'd be surprised if the whole thing took more than 30 seconds.

That's what I would think. But I read an article (oy, I'll have to find it -- I read so many) telling the minutes the sw was on the phone and it sounded like it was a total of about 10 minutes before she said "He just exploded the house!"

That scares the heck out of me that those little boys were heard crying (or one was) and it was 10 minutes before the explosion (which, I hope, knocked those children unconscious). I don't like to think of their horror going on for so many minutes.

Maybe he put the money in an envelope and mailed it to someone? Guess we'll find out.

I have just now heard this news and this is total madness and very evil actions on the part of Josh Powell. What a whimpering, whining coward - a pity he wouldn't pick on someone his own size.

Dear god but this has stunned me to the core.

Josh was/is a total jerk.

May the Cox family find some measure of comfort in knowing that their sorrow is shared among many around the world.

Blessed awakenings to the two boys when they find themselves in the arms of their mother.

Maybe he put the money in an envelope and mailed it to someone? Guess we'll find out.
I read or watched somewhere(?) that he transferred the money into someone elses account. I dont post much so I kept waiting for someone else to explain this but I seem to be the only person that watched or read it so now Im doubting myself.

OMG. I thought I was the only one that thought of this scenario, especially since he withdrew $7000 the day before. Where did the money go?

According to the ariel pics, it looks like there was a street right behind the house, so he could have easily escaped via the back door.

And the utlities? Also, just the thoughts of blowing yourself up...I have a huge fear of dying in fire.

And then, there is why the hatchet? Like you said, he could have used it to keep them from running after him.

I just want to know where the money went (did he buy another car with it or could he have gotten his father's vehicle to escape in?

I hope LE knows 100% that it was JP's body, as far fetched as it sounds.

He just seems like such a coward to blow himself up.

OMG. I thought I was the only one that thought of this scenario, especially since he withdrew $7000 the day before. Where did the money go?

According to the ariel pics, it looks like there was a street right behind the house, so he could have easily escaped via the back door.

And the utlities? Also, just the thoughts of blowing yourself up...I have a huge fear of dying in fire.

And then, there is why the hatchet? Like you said, he could have used it to keep them from running after him.

I just want to know where the money went (did he buy another car with it or could he have gotten his father's vehicle to escape in?

I hope LE knows 100% that it was JP's body, as far fetched as it sounds.

He just seems like such a coward to blow himself up.

Maybe I am a cynic, but that was the first thing I thought of. I want some kind of proof that it was that sorry sack of you know what. But, he seems so coniving and this case has been full of twists and turns. I ask again has anyone heard of any funeral plans for him? tia

Maybe I am a cynic, but that was the first thing I thought of. I want some kind of proof that it was that sorry sack of you know what. But, he seems so coniving and this case has been full of twists and turns. I ask again has anyone heard of any funeral plans for him? tia

Thanks for responding to my post.

Do you think LE knows 100% sure it was JP's body? Do you think LE has even considered this idea?

I haven't seen answer funeral arrangements for him. I did see where they have changed locations for the boy's funerals due to needing larger place.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missygirl26
Back