Chicago, People being robbed of Canada Goose coats at gunpoint, January 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
TRENDING: People being robbed of Canada Goose coats at gunpoint
"Chicago police are reporting gunpoint robberies targeting people wearing pricey Canada Goose jackets as temperatures plunge in the city."

"Six people had their Canada Goose coats stolen last week and two more were targeted Wednesday.

Police say two men jumped from a Mercedes, showed a gun and punched a 54-year-old man before forcibly taking his coat and wallet Wednesday. The same night, two men showed a gun to a 23-year-old man walking with a friend and demanded his Canada Goose coat."

Canada Goose coats targeted in a string of Chicago robberies
"It’s not the first time Canada Goose has been a target of thieves. In 2016, the Moosejaw outdoor equipment store in Lincoln Park was hit four times in a month with smash-and-grab robberies apparently targeting the coats. They’ve been frequently stolen items from places like coat racks and chair backs for at least three years, and last year drew muggers who demanded coats from Canada Goose wearers in London and Manchester, England.

Though the Canada Goose company insists it is not a fashion brand, but rather sturdy equipment for Arctic (and urban) explorers, the brand’s high profile (it has appeared in James Bond films and is seen on celebrities from Drake to Kate Upton to David Beckham) and high price tag combine to make its coats a high-theft item."

Interesting, I just looked up the coats...
$1000, exterior, 85% polyester 15% cotton, interior 100% polyester. Seriously?

Okay, just looked at their website, most do have down in them. Glad I wear a stylish Carhartt and drive a Honda. No chance of getting carjacked and jacketjacked.

Interesting, I just looked up the coats...
$1000, exterior, 85% polyester 15% cotton, interior 100% polyester. Seriously?

Okay, just looked at their website, most do have down in them. Glad I wear a stylish Carhartt and drive a Honda. No chance of getting carjacked and jacketjacked.
Lol, jacketjacked!

Meanwhile, so far a milder winter and still the coats are getting stolen, this time, Hamilton, Ontario.
Hamilton police report spike in street level robberies involving high-end winter coats
January 4, 2020
"Hamilton police say they've recently seen a spike in street-level robberies targeting people wearing high-end winter coats.

Spokeswoman Jackie Penman says officers have recorded 17 such incidents since the fall, with four taking place on Friday night alone.

She says the incidents usually involve a group of youths swarming the victim or an individual brandishing a weapon and threatening the victim until they turn over their coat.

Penman says the suspects usually target people wearing Canada Goose or Moose Knuckle brand outerwear."

In Boston Dec 27 2019..

Feb 13 2023
''Police have issued a warning after a string of armed robberies targeted people wearing Canada Goose winter coats in Washington DC.
There were at least seven reported robberies of people wearing the popular luxury coats between December and February.
Some of the robberies took place near George Washington University, prompting the campus to issue its own advisory.
The prices of the coats stolen range from $550 (£454) to nearly $1,500.
Police are urging the public to stay vigilant.
Reports of the robberies first emerged in December, when a couple said they were attacked while walking with their young children in the northeast area of Washington DC.

One of the victims told the local NBC News network that she believed the robbers were trying to pull off her Canada Goose jacket, but they did not succeed.
Several other robberies involving the luxury coat have unfolded in the subsequent weeks.''

I remember when people thought people were being robbed for shoes. My parents wouldnt let me go outside with the new shoes I got. <modsnip>
Now i feel that maybe i should not have posted it, but ty for chiming in!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when people thought people were being robbed for shoes. My parents wouldnt let me go outside with the new shoes I got. <modsnip>
People were and continue to be robbed for shoes. Desirable shoes that is. AKA pairs of Air Jordans.

I limited my quick search to the last 3 to 4 months and only grabbed the first few....

and
and
and
and
and

This doesn't include the violence that traditionally breaks out in the lines that are formed when waiting to buy a pair. This was just 2 days ago....

again, likely dozens of other examples out there just in the last few months.

This was a quick search. There's likely dozens and dozens of more just in the past 3 months. Sports Illustrated had a notorious cover back in the early 90s with a man's hands holding a gun and taking a pair of Jordan's from someone. Titled "Your Sneakers or Your Life" and its as true now as it was then.

Im originally from a major northeast city. When i go home to visit I leave my Canadian Goose jacket and any pair of Air Jordans that I own (I buy them out of nostalgia) at home. The risk is real and it's just not worth it. Also, they sell out pretty quickly, but I refuse to go to a physical store to buy them as theirs inherent danger there in the long lines of people waiting.

Of course people who think paying $200 for a sneaker or $1200 for a parka is riduclous (like my lovely wife) don't necessarily have to directly worry about these type of things. Or if you live far away from a city...again, probably don't have to worry about it. But the danger is real.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Nike sweater this time, a flipping sweater!
Feb 24 2023 rbbm
''Police are appealing for information after a group of teens allegedly robbed a student at knifepoint outside a Mississauga middle school earlier this month.

Police say that the victim was exiting a school near Havenwood Drive and Haven Glenn at around 2:40 p.m. on February 13 when they were surrounded by a group of eight masked suspects.

The authorities say that an altercation ensued, during which one of the suspects produced a large black knife and robbed the victim of a grey Nike sweater.

The suspects then fled the scene on foot in a southern direction.

The are all believed to be approximately 15 or 16 years old and were last seen wearing all black clothing and black ski masks, police say.''

This is very concerning! Such a strange trend. I wonder what the market is for stolen high end winter coats? How are these thieves making money from the coats? Are they selling them individually online? At a local flea market? Are they being shipped overseas? Are each group acting independently for some quick cash, or is someone hiring these teens to steal the coats?

1703866071259.png
Steed says although the TikTok video of the incident was set to Christmas music and likely meant to be lighthearted, the alleged theft was “unfortunately” tied to a deeper and “darker” issue of poverty and addiction.

“I’ve seen a lot of unusual things in my career, but I don’t think that I’ve ever seen anyone attempt to steal or successfully allegedly steal an entire rack of coats but then try and transport them on the SkyTrain,” Steed said.

Dec 28, 2023 #shorts
A Vancouver man was arrested after allegedly pushing a rack of $6K worth of stolen coats onto a train, police said #shorts

Lengthy article ..
1704386004759.png
In December, a man claimed he had been slashed in the face with a knife while being mugged for his coat and shared a video of himself in hospital with a scar. Captioning the video, 'don't die for Canada Goose', he implored his followers to be careful whilst wearing the plush jackets

By JOHN JAMES and SUZANNA KING 3 January 2024
''One of Britain's leading criminologists has warned the recent spate of Canada Goose coat muggings could be the start of a new 'luxury crime trend' and has warned all those who own the expensive jackets to be cautious.

The coats - which can be sold for as much as £1,700 - have been targeted by muggers across the country resulting in cars being broken into, pedestrians robbed, neighbours stealing from one another and even knife attacks.

On Sunday, shocking footage emerged showing two hooded thugs trying to steal one of the coveted coats in broad daylight at a Kent train station. ''

''In December, a man claimed he had been slashed in the face with a knife while being mugged for his coat and shared a video of himself in hospital with a scar.

Captioning the video, 'don't die for Canada Goose', he implored his followers to be careful while wearing the plush jackets.

Last month, a Transport for London chief warned youngsters travelling on the Tube were being targeted for North Face and Canada Goose coats - with an 83 per cent rise in the number of thefts recorded from 2,935 in 2022 to 5,378 in 2023.''

• 3 JAN 2024
1704388409512.png
''A new Canada Goose store opened in the Bullring ahead of Christmas. The clothes brand shop, neighbouring Selfridges and Reiss, sells everything from sweatshirts to hats but it is most famous for its insulated coats.

Professor of criminology David Wilson from BCU told the Sun: "I would tell anyone wearing Canada Goose jackets to be careful and be aware of your surroundings and who's around you.

"You have to be vigilant for opportunists who might try to steal them. We've seen muggings of this sort before. Thieves used to target Rolex watches which go for thousands of pounds and then flog them online because they're usually stolen to order."

Stealing shoes when you already have a pair and don't look as if you need to steal them, imo, speculation.

JANUARY 25, 2024
'MIRAMAR, FLA. (WSVN) - Police are searching for a subject accused of robbing a man at gunpoint in Miramar and taking his shoes'.

'Police said the subject was wearing braces with blue orthodontic rubber bands and has a small tattoo on his right forearm.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway
Back