Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this when searching for how to make chloroform:

CHLOROFORM IS A LIQUID ONCE USED AS AN ANESTHETIC, AND A SOLVENT FOR SPECIMEN PRESERVATION. IT FINDS USES TODAY IN ORGANIC CHEMISTRY AS A SOLVENT BUT LITTLE ELSE DUE TO THE EMERGENCE OF LESS DANGEROUS ALTERNATIVES. CHLOROFORM'S CHEMICAL FORMULA IS CHCl3 AND IT BOILS WITH SLIGHT WARMING TO 61 CELSIUS.

CHLOROFORM CAN BE PRODUCED WITH A SIMPLE REACTION BETWEEN HYPOCHLORITE AND ACETONE. HYPOCHLORITE CAN BE FOUND IN POOL SHOCK AND BLEACH AS SODIUM OR CALCIUM SALTS. THE REACTION IS HIGHLY EXOTHERMIC, SO THE REACTION MUST BE KEPT COOL TO PREVENT VAPORIZATION OF THE FORMED CHLOROFORM, OR WORSE, BOILING OF THE SOLUTION. THE FORMED CHLOROFORM IS CONTAMINATED WITH WATER AND SOME SALTS, WHICH CAN BE REMOVED BY VACUUM FILTERING AND DRYING WITH MAGNESIUM SULFATE.

CHLOROFORM PRODUCED IN THIS MANNER CAN BE USED TO SOLVENT WELD PLASTICS LIKE ACRYLIC (ANY APPLICATION WHERE DCM, DICHLOROMETHANE IS NORMALLY USED) OR TO PRESERVE SPECIMENS LIKE INSECTS.

NOTE: AS DESCRIBED THE REACTION DOES NOT PRODUCE ENOUGH CHLOROFORM FOR EXTRACTION. YOU'LL NEED TO USE AT LEAST A GALLON OF BLEACH AT A TIME (AND SUITABLE AMOUNT OF ACETONE) IN ORDER TO RECOVER ANY USEABLE QUANTITY OF CHLOROFORM.[/B]

MATERIALS
-BLEACH OR POOL SHOCK (LIQUID)
-ACETONE (NOT NAIL POLISH REMOVER)
-ICE!! LOTS AND LOTS OF ICE.
EQUIPMENT
-MISC. GLASSWARE

The 2 areas that I bolded (well I thought that I bolded, oh well to lazy to fix it) are interesting. You would have to mix a gallon of bleach at a time to get enough chloroform. And it is volatile and would need to be kept very cool, then the ice.

Not sure that you would clean up anything with that much materials. A gallon or more of bleach and acetone? That is a lot of cleaning materials!

Thanks for finding the quote about the acetone. No nail polish remover handy here, but I thought the chemical composition was changed in the '80s or '90s away from acetone. It's easy enough to find in a paint store, though.

I'm not sure that the chloroform has anything to do with Caylee's death at all.
I think we might be jumping the gun on this.
I agree. I dont think she was sitting at her computer looking up chloroform and uploading pictures of Caylee. Maybe leaving Caylee in the car, with a toxic smell combination and heat? Still speculation. She was living as a transient out of her car. It's not unusual to have bleach in the back. But I still think about Meth or Chloroform as an inhalant, and a drug ring of some sort, maybe with Sawgrass.

Speaking of covering your butt...I wonder if she was smart enough, if she bought it online, to have it sent to the Saw Grass, 210 and was there during the day to snatch the mail...perhaps, had it sent to Zani the Nanny? Can you buy it with one of those pre-paid Visas? Clearly, she was stealing from everyone she could. What's $100? I am dying to see the info from the computers and what sites she searched and WHEN, my goodness, when did she start enacting this evil plan???

Here's what I know about Prepaid Visa's and the internet (I work for an online retailer). In our system anyways, you cannot use the card unless you call the bank that issues the card and have them add your address and name to their billing fields for that account. The Prepaid cards are all defaulted to the bank's billing info. So if you try to use it at one of our several online websites, you would get an error msg saying "billing info does not match card" until you have the bank add your info to the account.

Also, you can use those card anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. It is used just like a regular CC.

Hope that helps!

Have they even clarified for sure, where the chloroform was? I keep assuming it was in the trunk, but not sure that they have even said??

I believe that it was in the trunk.

I'm wondering whether the check for chloroform was just a routine or incidental part of the car search or was done subsequent to the discovery of the computer searches.

chloroform is used to make meth. It's possibly Caylee was there when they were making it and got into either the drugs or ingredients to make them. Neither would have a good out come.

Here's what I know about Prepaid Visa's and the internet (I work for an online retailer). In our system anyways, you cannot use the card unless you call the bank that issues the card and have them add your address and name to their billing fields for that account. The Prepaid cards are all defaulted to the bank's billing info. So if you try to use it at one of our several online websites, you would get an error msg saying "billing info does not match card" until you have the bank add your info to the account.

Also, you can use those card anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. It is used just like a regular CC.

Hope that helps!
Not if you use paypall:)

Nite guys. I have to get up at 5am. I cant focus anymore! :)

Hope that helps!

It does, thank you!

Of course, we're just speculating about the possible significance of chloroform findings, if real, and computer search(es). It still has potential significance whether there was possibly a pool drowning victim in the trunk, whether it is evidence of scrubbing of a trunk that still shows signs of human decomposition, or was used to knock someone out. I know I'm not in court and this isn't evidence, just our ideas.

At this point, with only "traces" left, and evaporating fast, I'd be very surprised if they can tell the origin of any chloroform.

I'm also racking my brain to come up with any plausible reaction between urine and hypochlorite that would yield chloroform. Phosgene, yes. That urine/bleach reaction in the toilet others have alluded to smells nothing like chloroform. (Yes, I've been there, done that.) Chloroform has a pleasant smell.

I believe that it was in the trunk.

I'm wondering whether the check for chloroform was just a routine or incidental part of the car search or was done subsequent to the discovery of the computer searches.

Thanks! I was kinda thinkin that they did test on the stain in the trunk and it came up in there.

Something that has sounded a bit odd to me from the first day I heard it was George's use of the term "cleaning fluid". I can't think of any product I've had that I would refer to that way. For some reason, my mind kept jumping to lighter fluid instead (which can be used to clean/dissolve things).

Lighter fluid....gas cans. Besides the obvious connection between those two items, would lighter fluid and/or gas + bleach produce a chloroform reaction, and if so, would it be enough to be termed "significant"?

Maybe y'all refer to your cleaning products as fluids? I don't. Liquids, yes...but I can't think of any I've ever had that I would refer to as fluids.

Where the hell would chloroform come from???

Can it be a byproduct of decomposition?

Is that the type of substance that might be found in someone's medicine cabinet for any 'innocent' reason? I'm thinking maybe Cindy brought it home for something & Casey figured it was a great way to get Caylee to sleep faster so she could party?

There is no place that a registered nurse would have any access what so ever to chloroform.

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT

LE is going to get the mother for murder one - and anyone that helped cover up or hide evidence better be careful because LE is going to get them also.

LE are not stupid idiots and they particularly dont like people saying in public that they are not doing their job properly and that they are planting evidence.

they made an offer to SPARE everyone additional pain and it was refused
so WATCH OUT..

At this point, with only "traces" left, and evaporating fast, I'd be very surprised if they can tell the origin of any chloroform.

I'm also racking my brain to come up with any plausible reaction between urine and hypochlorite that would yield chloroform. Phosgene, yes. That urine/bleach reaction in the toilet others have alluded to smells nothing like chloroform. (Yes, I've been there, done that.) Chloroform has a pleasant smell.

Oh, right...My mom wasn't paying attention once when I was a kid and mixed heavily bleached water with ammonia and nearly killed all of us. Not a pleasant smell. But I think the searches and the fact that there were no spots where bleach would have been in the trunk. They showed it and other than a bit of dirt/powder of some type to the top left, there wasn't really anything in the trunk. No bleach stains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member