Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad times: Mom has a PR firm working for her so all will be pc in the press, the zoo is afraid to say anything negative for fear of litigation and customer backlash, and the zoo wants to 'replace' Harambe. Harambe. like any other life, cannot be replaced ever. He is gone and forgotten by many in this disgusting mess. (I don't mean by ws'ers. I am heartened by the beautiful souls that treasure all life here).

Sad times: Mom has a PR firm working for her so all will be pc in the press, the zoo is afraid to say anything negative for fear of litigation and customer backlash, and the zoo wants to 'replace' Harambe. Harambe. like any other life, cannot be replaced ever. He is gone and forgotten by many in this disgusting mess.
Too bad mom didn't have a nanny or babysitting working for her.

Sad times: Mom has a PR firm working for her so all will be pc in the press, the zoo is afraid to say anything negative for fear of litigation and customer backlash, and the zoo wants to 'replace' Harambe. Harambe. like any other life, cannot be replaced ever. He is gone and forgotten by many in this disgusting mess. (I don't mean by ws'ers. I am heartened by the beautiful souls that treasure all life here).

I'm on the side of being happy there might be another male who can "replace" him. That looks like a beautiful habitat to start a little gorilla community, although baby males have to be removed when they hit puberty for their own safety.

The mom's PR firm statement should be: "The family is absolutely heartbroken that the zoo was forced to choose between protecting their child and shooting a very beloved and remarkable member of the Cincinati zoo family, Harambe. Although there is nothing they can do to bring back his lost life, the family is searching for a way to put a silver lining on this tragedy, and have some small amount of good come from his unnecessary death. They are currently in talks with the World Wildlife Federation for suggestions about how they can make their efforts have the most impact. The family wishes to express deep remorse for their momentary lack of supervision in an environment where more supervision was required for their child."

There. Their work is done. ;D

Hi all! Jumping in here with a question. Does anybody know if this particular zoo has any signage regarding supervising children at all times.? Thanks.

If the child would have been killed by the gorilla I believe it would have been euthanized. So either way the gorilla was going to pay for the incident. I do think that the zoo and the mother should share responsibility for this sad incident and tragic end for the gorilla.

Tiger who killed his trainer in another zoo wasn't euthanized.

I'm on the side of being happy there might be another male who can "replace" him. That looks like a beautiful habitat to start a little gorilla community, although baby males have to be removed when they hit puberty for their own safety.

The mom's PR firm statement should be: "The family is absolutely heartbroken that the zoo was forced to choose between protecting their child and shooting a very beloved and remarkable member of the Cincinati zoo family, Harambe. Although there is nothing they can do to bring back his lost life, the family is searching for a way to put a silver lining on this tragedy, and have some small amount of good come from his unnecessary death. They are currently in talks with the World Wildlife Federation for suggestions about how they can make their efforts have the most impact. The family wishes to express deep remorse for their momentary lack of supervision in an environment where more supervision was required for their child."

If I were in charge, they wouldn't be getting another gorilla, considering they killed the one the had.

BBM: IMO this statement will make it much more difficult for the family to sue the zoo and win. They've more or less admitted culpability.

Okay people...lets go over this.

1. Jack Hanna, animal expert, agrees with killing the gorilla.
2. The zoo keepers tried using food to motivate the animal, it did not work.
3. The child was being dragged around and his head was banging concrete.
4. Tranqs, take to long to work.
5. This animal was not like, Coco or Jambo, he had been kept as "wild" as possible in hopes of breeding him.

In my opinion this mother was not making her kid behaver, but we don't let kids get killed because they are acting up.

He wasn't kept "as wild as possible." He was hand raised as a baby, and the keeper took him home. He slept in a bed. He certainly was used to humans.

"Jerry Stones, the facilities director for the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas, the birthplace of Harambe, told ABC affiliate KRGV-TV in Rio Grande Valley, Texas that he was there for Harambe’s birth and raised him like a child."

http://www.wwgp1050.com/2016/05/31/...d-killed-gorilla-from-birth-mourns-his-death/

The USDA inspected the Cincinnati zoo's Gorilla World in April and no violations were found.

I would imagine zoos around the country are now looking at their animal enclosures to figure out a way to foolproof them. But as the saying goes - for ever fool proof system devised, a new, improved fool will arise to overcome it.

The USDA inspected the Cincinnati zoo's Gorilla World in April and no violations were found.

I would imagine zoos around the country are now looking at their animal enclosures to figure out a way to foolproof them. But as the saying goes - for ever fool proof system devised, a new, improved fool will arise to overcome it.

Boy, isn't that the truth!

He wasn't kept "as wild as possible." He was hand raised as a baby, and the keeper took him home. He slept in a bed. He certainly was used to humans.

"Jerry Stones, the facilities director for the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas, the birthplace of Harambe, told ABC affiliate KRGV-TV in Rio Grande Valley, Texas that he was there for Harambe’s birth and raised him like a child."

http://www.wwgp1050.com/2016/05/31/...d-killed-gorilla-from-birth-mourns-his-death/

If true, this is quite unfortunate and actually unfair to Harambe. After all, the end goal is to allow these beautiful animals to feel they fit in to their community (of other gorillas) in an effort to make reproduction more likely.

If true, this is quite unfortunate and actually unfair to Harambe. After all, the end goal is to allow these beautiful animals to feel they fit in to their community (of other gorillas) in an effort to make reproduction more likely.

Seems like he was doing just fine in the community of other gorillas until he was killed by the zoo.

Seems like he was doing just fine in the community of other gorillas until he was killed by the zoo.

And until a child had to climb into his area when he wasn't supposed to. I'm not sure why you keep posting this as if the zoo just goes around killing all their animals because they have nothing else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. But he hadn't reproduced yet. It is after all JMO and I appreciate yours as well. I'm speaking as someone who's raised a young man involved in the care and management of exotic and endangered animals. (you all can throw stones now). You try to limit the human interaction with these guys as much as possible. Zoo's are not perfect, but the alternative of letting these species become extinct isn't a wonderful prospect either. As for him being killed "by the zoo" I believe there are many people who worked closely with Harambe who are grieving a horrible loss at this time.

And until a child had to climb into his area when he wasn't supposed to. I'm not sure why you keep posting this as if the zoo just goes around killing all their animals because they have nothing else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they don't seem to have plans to change the enclosure. So if another kid gets in there, more gorillas would be killed. So far I haven't heard anything from the zoo director that would make me to want send more gorillas his way.

I agree. But he hadn't reproduced yet. It is after all JMO and I appreciate yours as well. I'm speaking as someone who's raised a young man involved in the care and management of exotic and endangered animals. (you all can throw stones now). You try to limit the human interaction with these guys as much as possible. Zoo's are not perfect, but the alternative of letting these species become extinct isn't a wonderful prospect either. As for him being killed "by the zoo" I believe there are many people who worked closely with Harambe who are grieving a horrible loss at this time.

He hasn't reproduced because he hasn't quite reached breeding maturity (that's according to the zoo's director). So he was killed before he could reproduce. I don't think it has anything to do with his upbringing.

And they don't seem to have plans to change the enclosure. So if another kid gets in there, more gorillas would be killed. So far I haven't heard anything from the zoo director that would make me to want send more gorillas his way.

I'm sure they will because of the bad PR and this family's intentions to want to go back, but that's a major structural change that has to happen, got to be expensive, and not something that's gonna happen overnight. I'll bet Gorilla World is off display for quite awhile...

Presumably all they would need to do is to make a higher fence a kid couldn't climb over. That is not a major structural change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member