Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the side of being happy there might be another male who can "replace" him. That looks like a beautiful habitat to start a little gorilla community, although baby males have to be removed when they hit puberty for their own safety.

The mom's PR firm statement should be: "The family is absolutely heartbroken that the zoo was forced to choose between protecting their child and shooting a very beloved and remarkable member of the Cincinati zoo family, Harambe. Although there is nothing they can do to bring back his lost life, the family is searching for a way to put a silver lining on this tragedy, and have some small amount of good come from his unnecessary death. They are currently in talks with the World Wildlife Federation for suggestions about how they can make their efforts have the most impact. The family wishes to express deep remorse for their momentary lack of supervision in an environment where more supervision was required for their child."

There. Their work is done. ;D

That's better. Though should've happened sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure wish someone would do a feature article with photos so you can SEE what the barrier looked like. I've seen a lot of family footage where the focus is on the kids, or the gorillas, of course, but you only get the briefest glimpses of the security structure.

Has anyone seen a close up of where the boy went in, and what exactly he had to go through?

there are multiple pictures of the barrier on this thread, it is not designed to keep someone out if they want to get in, in any way.

looking at the photos of harambe breaks my heart. What a beautiful creature he was, with such soulful eyes! I am so upset that he was killed because someone couldn't control their own child. mom should be begging for forgiveness, not hiring a d@mned pr firm!!!

WORD!^:clap::clap::clap::goodpost:

Looking at the photos of Harambe breaks my heart. What a beautiful creature he was, with such soulful eyes! I am so upset that he was killed because someone couldn't control their own child. mom should be begging for forgiveness, not hiring a d@mned PR firm!!!

This story is getting a ton of media attention, and a PR firm likely offered to help out free of cost. I can't blame the parents for taking advantage out of it. There's a witch hunt against them.

This story is getting a ton of media attention, and a PR firm likely offered to help out free of cost. I can't blame the parents for taking advantage out of it. There's a witch hunt against them.

I think they need it. Some people can innately sense what they've done that has provoked such fury - and these people don't have that gift. To post publicly, in the height of his outrage, that he still wants to go back to the zoo, these people have no idea how to mitigate the fury they've caused.

Had they come out immediately and expressed sorry for Harambe, and apologized, this would diffuse. I just really want to jar some sense in to them.

Why would a PR firm do that??? :thinking:It's not like a lawyer taking on a case pro bono. If it's a witch hunt, it's because the mother acted like one in not controlling her child- who told her exactly what he was going to do- and by not watching him, she let him and an endangered species died a needless death. All which could have been prevented if she wasn't on her phone (FB/taking pictures, whatever!) and watching him!!! Even in her statements, there's zero mention of the gorilla. I think the zoo should ban them for life!

The zoo has certainly acted with incredible grace throughout this whole thing - I would be tempted to ban at least the boy until he's older and can show he can follow direction.

Why would a PR firm do that??? :thinking:It's not like a lawyer taking on a case pro bono. If it's a witch hunt, it's because the mother acted like one in not controlling her child- who told her exactly what he was going to do- and by not watching him, she let him and an endangered species died a needless death. All which could have been prevented if she wasn't on her phone (FB/taking pictures, whatever!) and watching him!!! Even in her statements, there's zero mention of the gorilla. I think the zoo should ban them for life!

I'm sure the mother never thought for a second her child could actually get into an animal enclosure. Anyone would think she lowered the boy in there, then took a selfie of herself with the boy and gorilla in the background and posted it on her wall, the way people are carrying on.

Cincinnati police department makes it clear that their investigation into possible charges in this incident focuses solely on the behavior of the child and his family, and that the zoo employees behavior and security is not a subject of the investigation.

Good.

I really want to see them pursue at least a case of simple neglectful parenting.

[video=cnn;us/2016/05/30/cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-killed-jessica-schneider-lkl-es.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/us/gorilla-shot-harambe/index.html[/video]

I'm sure the mother never thought for a second her child could actually get into an animal enclosure. Anyone would think she lowered the boy in there, then took a selfie of herself with the boy and gorilla in the background and posted it on her wall, the way people are carrying on.

It seems she must have known he could get through, or she wouldn't have kept telling him not to. Until, that is, she stopped telling him not to and turned her attention elsewhere.

The zoo has certainly acted with incredible grace throughout this whole thing - I would be tempted to ban at least the boy until he's older and can show he can follow direction.

Maybe the zoo should look at all its enclosures and make sure no children (or anyone else) can make their way in. Banning this one boy won't help, actually maybe zoos worldwide should all take this as an opportunity to ensure their animals are safe from intruders so this doesn't happen again.

Presumably all they would need to do is to make a higher fence a kid couldn't climb over. That is not a major structural change.

Presumably, yes.

But then some kid or high adult or what-have-you will try to climb the higher fence and get hurt in the process and of course it would be the zoo's fault for having such a fence.

A number of years ago I lived in Madison, Wisconsin, when their beloved polar bear was killed by zoo officials after an adult scaled some walls and lowered himself into the bear's enclosure. That enclosure was deemed highly safe and no one had ever been harmed there either accidentally or through negligence, until that fateful day. The intruder was never charged with anything because it was determined that he had some mental health issues. Why he was out and about in public on his own with such issues remains a mystery but there is no way to dictate where an adult may or may not go without proof that he/she may cause an unfortunate incident. The Madison zoo did eventually get a new bear exhibit but I never heard that they made any adjustments to the structure that enclosed them other than to place some additional security cameras. There has never been an incident since but that is no guarantee there never will be. Humans do things they should not do and often do not face consequences. I think if there were some potential consequences, most people would be more focused.

Society will never be able to avoid stupidity/carelessness completely; wherever there are people there will be human error, mental illness, negligence, and deliberate acts of defiance. Any such situation just reeks so much more if an innocent being--human or otherwise--has to pay the price.

One can not avoid stupidity/carelessness completely. However the barrier is only 3 feet tall. The zoo could easily improve upon such barrier to protect gorillas from humans.

Maybe the zoo should look at all its enclosures and make sure no children (or anyone else) can make their way in. Banning this one boy won't help, actually maybe zoos worldwide should all take this as an opportunity to ensure their animals are safe from intruders so this doesn't happen again.

I have heard in the media that zoos are looking at their enclosures.

Another good thing, though, might be that parents are telling their kids not to climb in with the gorillas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99