Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point he extorted money from Susan for a passport. Well he obviously never got one since the search of his phone years later showed his searches on how to get through Canada to Alaska without a passport. I cant remember how much money the customer lost on the down payment.

That’s not how I see it. I think Joey picked up that his bank balance was lower than it should have been. Or perhaps he saw on online banking that a check for $6500 (or whatever it was) had cleared. He checked QB and he doesn’t see a check for that amount. He calls the bank and says I don’t think that’s correct because I never wrote a check for that amount. It all comes out that the check(s) - I think there were 2? One cashed and one deposited? Anyway he discovers they were issued to Merritt. This starts the events of the day.

ETA: okay so he doesn’t check QB. (I just saw it hadn’t been accessed since the 2nd.) he goes solely off the lower balance and the recently cleared checks.
Feb 2nd was the last time QB Contacts account was accessed.

QB Custom account was accessed on Feb 4th sandwiched between Joey's two calls to the bank.

This is the timeline for Feb 4th:

Chase called Joey 11 times between 9.36 am and 10.42 am.

Joey called him back at 10.46 am.

Chase called Joey again at 11.33 am.

Joey left home to drive to Rancho at 11.41 am.

Joey called the bank at 11.51 am (2 mins) - he's driving through Temecula.

Joey called Chase at 11.53 am (2 mins)

QB Custom account logged in at 11.56 am, logged out at 11.58 am.

12.15 pm Joey called the bank again. (7 mins) - he's driving through Riverside/Corona.

12.28 pm Joey called Chase (6 mins)

12.34 pm Chase called Cathy.

12.52 pm Joey arrived in Rancho and called Chase, and Walker Welding.

1.01 pm Chase called Joey (1 min)

12.52 pm to 1.58 pm 19 calls back and forth between Chase and Cathy.

I noticed some of you were talking about the calls Joey made to Union bank. So... I put this together. A bit on the long side.....

Hey @Niner :) Do we know where these phone records come from? I think I have asked this before and I am not sure that I ever got an answer LOL

I only ask because according to the State, the first time he called was on the 4th. Even Imes in closing said it was the only time, and then made his correction later and said he hadn't called since November or something like that.

Actually easier to just put the link to his correction lol .... starts about 7:25 of this video. Anyway, it just makes me wonder how accurate the phone records are that have been posted, it's that or the State has over looked this and that would be a HUGE mistake IMO. I don't recall seeing Joey's records for those days in the testimony, but will maybe go and check to see if they were shown somewhere later today :)

Didn't he supposedly go to SA after the McStay family disappearance? Otherwise why would he ask Susan to fund him for a passport and whatever else money he hit her up for?
Were there ever any photos of this big deal in Saudi Arabia?

Yes, it was after, I just don't recall exactly when. As for photo's... not that we saw in trial as far as I can recall.

This is what SB said about the Saudi deal
(quote)
“You said you got calls from different people, though, right?” Maline asked.
“Correct,” Blake said.
“And when they called and said ,’Where’s my waterfall?’ you told them that Chase was the one responsible to build it, right?” Maline asked.
“Objection, assumes facts not in evidence that such a call was made,” Imes said.
“Overruled,” Judge Smith said.
“I would ask Chase, yes,” said Blake.
“I’m asking you what you told the customers,” said Maline.
“I don’t remember exactly what we told the customers,” Blake said. “We were trying to keep them calm.”
“You do recall that Chase went to Saudi Arabia and he finished the Saudi Arabian waterfall, correct?” Maline asked.
“I never received…” Blake began
“Objection, leading and foundation,” Deputy District Attorney Melissa Rodriguez interrupted.
“Overruled,” Judge Smith said.
“I never received confirmation on that,” said Blake. “I did tell Chase those funds needed to go back into the bank of Joey’s.”
“And you recall that when Chase was in Saudi Arabia that he sent you an email,” Maline said.
“Not from Saudi – I don’t know,” Blake said.
Maline then provided her with an email from Merritt in which he complained about her telling customers back in the United States that he was responsible for completing the projects they had on order while he was engaged in finishing the project he was involved with in Saudi Arabia, and that he had not been provided with the funding or materials needed to finish the projects they were inquiring about. After she read it, Blake said, “I don’t remember this email.”
Maline had her review a second email from Merritt sent from Saudi Arabia.
“I don’t remember seeing this,” Blake said.
“So you don’t recall these emails?” Maline said.
“No,” said Blake.
“There were some questions asked of you regarding the payment from Saudi Arabia,” said Maline, referencing Blake’s testimony in January. “Do you recall that?”
“Yes,” said Blake.
“And you indicated your understanding was Chase got the money,” said Maline. “I think you said it was like 16 or 17 thousand [dollars]?”
“Objection,” said Rodriguez. “Misstates testimony.”
“Overruled,” said Judge Smith. “She can answer if that is correct.”
“Is that what you testified to?” Maline asked.
“I don’t know what the exact amount was,” Blake said.

At some point he extorted money from Susan for a passport. Well he obviously never got one since the search of his phone years later showed his searches on how to get through Canada to Alaska without a passport. I cant remember how much money the customer lost on the down payment.

which customer are you talking about? the SA customer? They paid in full for the fountain, it wouldn't have just been the down payment.

A person with a felony conviction is not automatically disqualified from getting a U.S. passport. Remember that a passport is not a ticket to travel. Rather, it is a type of international identification that allows you back into the United States if you travel. But the right to enter another country is governed by that country, who will have its own rules about who can enter.

How to Obtain a Passport for Convicted Felons

So it would be up to SA if they allowed the 2 time felon into their country.

I think chase went as we have seen no sign of any dispute from the company who paid him.

I also think Chase was laughing all the way there and back as wasn’t this a big deal to him as it was the start of the riches that apparently Joey had got in the pipe line?

MOO

That logic doesn't hold.

For instance he might have just renegotiated to ship the fountain and the client installed it themselves.

One thing we do know - if he went, there will be travel records which would be extremely easy for the defence to exhibit to prove Chase was an all round swell guy delivering on the contracts

Why wouldn't the defence score that open goal?

Exactly.

If he got a passport, it would have been exhibited by the defence

Just more lies I am afraid.

QB Custom account was accessed on Feb 4th sandwiched between Joey's two calls to the bank.

12.15 pm Joey called the bank again. (7 mins) - he's driving through Riverside/Corona.

11:51 in Temecula to 12:15 in Corona? I don't think that is correct.

If CM did go to Saudi and completed the project and they paid in full, who did they pay (and how)? SB says above "I never received confirmation on that,” said Blake. “I did tell Chase those funds needed to go back into the bank of Joey’s.”

So did Saudi give CM a check? His bank account was closed by then if he went to Saudi in June, who did they make the check out to - CJ? Or did they make payment by PayPal to EIP? Did anything the forensic accountant guy put on show anything about payments from Saudi?

But what about LE? They must have looked into it yet the PT or DT didnt touch on it much. Another mystery. But I'm convinced CM never left the country.

BIB

It's explained via evidential burden. It is not relevant to the State case whether or not Chase went to Saudi Arabia months after the murders.

Rather the defence was trying to argue that he did go, because he was a swell guy delivering on contractual obligations.

The evidential burden was thus on the defence to produce supporting exhibits which they did not do - despite the passport & visa being the obvious exhibits to produce.

Requiring the state to prove a negative is rather unfair in this case.

Rather we should note that as usual, the defence produced no witness or meaningful exhibit to prove a fact that was trivial to prove.

If CM did go to Saudi and completed the project and they paid in full, who did they pay (and how)? SB says above "I never received confirmation on that,” said Blake. “I did tell Chase those funds needed to go back into the bank of Joey’s.”

So did Saudi give CM a check? His bank account was closed by then if he went to Saudi in June, who did they make the check out to - CJ? Or did they make payment by PayPal to EIP? Did anything the forensic accountant guy put on show anything about payments from Saudi?

This info was in the testimony of Financial dude.

IIRC they wired money to Dan and Chase.

Hey @Niner :) Do we know where these phone records come from? I think I have asked this before and I am not sure that I ever got an answer LOL

I only ask because according to the State, the first time he called was on the 4th. Even Imes in closing said it was the only time, and then made his correction later and said he hadn't called since November or something like that.

Actually easier to just put the link to his correction lol .... starts about 7:25 of this video. Anyway, it just makes me wonder how accurate the phone records are that have been posted, it's that or the State has over looked this and that would be a HUGE mistake IMO. I don't recall seeing Joey's records for those days in the testimony, but will maybe go and check to see if they were shown somewhere later today :)

It looks like he screwed up in arguments and referred to the 3rd as the 4th. He kinda merged them in his closing perhaps.

Missy said:
snipped by me....

It comes from the preliminary hearing. You might notice that some of the notes on that post have page 104 as a reference. Where to find them here? Can't help you with that.... :(

But! I betcha @Tortoise knows where you can find those! :)

If Chase really did go to Saudi Arabia, why wouldn't the defence have produced these easily obtainable exhibits?

i.e. Chase's passport with Saudi entrance stamp/visa
I guess JM never knew about CM's criminal record or he was arranging for someone else to install the fountain.

It comes from the preliminary hearing. You might notice that some of the notes on that post have page 104 as a reference. Where to find them here? Can't help you with that.... :(

But! I betcha @Tortoise knows where you can find those! :)
Niner,
If you want to email your phone number to me I can text you when the verdict comes in. Patrick McStay said he'll call me when he's notified and I can notify you. Depending on what I have going at the time I am going to try my best to be at the courthouse for the reading.

19 calls between Cathy and Chase. Just within 2 hours? What did they discuss that was so urgent? How in the heck did she pass a lie detector test and was possibly believable to the investigators? If she even was. Can she still be charged as an accessory as more of the investigation becomes public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay