Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a "Quote" button on the lower right-hand corner of the post you are answering to. Could you please use that? Hit the "Quote" and then "Reply". The post you are answering to will appear in your response box. Without doing that, your posts are fractured and difficult to attribute to a specific poster.

More importantly, it makes it difficult for the moderators when they want to do cleanup on aisle nine. I've seen this happen before on other threads IYKWIM :wink:

Last edited:
Did Chase Merritt murder the McStay family?
This poll will close on Jun 17, 2019 at 7:34 AM.
  1. *
    Guilty
    144 vote(s)
    92.3%

2. Not Guilty
    12 vote(s)
    7.7%
POLL - Did Chase Merritt murder the McStay family?

1. *
    Guilty
    145 vote(s)
    92.4%

2. Not Guilty
    12 vote(s)
    7.6%

Last edited:
  1. *
    Guilty
    144 vote(s)
    92.3%

2. Not Guilty
    12 vote(s)
    7.7%
POLL - Did Chase Merritt murder the McStay family?

So the poll is looking even more conclusive now. It’s quite obvious for the majority of us on here who is guilty. I just pray the family get a guilty verdict as well.

hmmm the recordings and video's that have been entered into evidence should be available to them (interviews, video's of truck, etc.), if that's what you mean? But they would need a computer or something to play them on. As for the notes to the judge, I am not sure we will know how those things are going to be handled until it happens. I do think there are a few people around the court house that should get word out, but not 100% sure.
I don’t think so. The evidence is the testimony itself, not a recording of it or a video of it. That is why when they distribute transcripts, they say they are only to assist and are not evidence, that the person’s spoken words are the evidence.

Just as an example, suppose a witness testified, “Yeah, I know he would never do that,” and simultaneously rolled his or her eyes. It’s the specific way they testify that is the evidence. Maybe Gitana1 can do better at explaining it.

ETA: I didn’t see the part where you wrote, “that were entered into evidence.” Yes, any videos entered into evidence would be available to them.

I hope that none of the jurors believe deep down that in order to find CM guilty BARD they have to debunk any possible scenario they can think up to explain the evidence. We’ve heard some interesting theories here (and at trial) that attempt to provide other scenarios and explanations, unsuccessfully IMO. “Beyond a reasonable doubt” does not mean “beyond a shadow of a doubt.”

I don’t think so. The evidence is the testimony itself, not a recording of it or a video of it. That is why when they distribute transcripts, they say they are only to assist and are not evidence, that the person’s spoken words are the evidence.

Just as an example, suppose a witness testified, “Yeah, I know he would never do that,” and simultaneously rolled his or her eyes. It’s the specific way they testify that is the evidence. Maybe Gitana1 can do better at explaining it.

ETA: I didn’t see the part where you wrote, “that were entered into evidence.” Yes, any videos entered into evidence would be available to them.

BBM - yep, just the evidence, like the recorded interviews, the video's of the truck, Mitchley video, etc.

If the poster was talking about the youtube video's of testimony..... No, absolutely not available to them lol If they need to "hear" testimony again, the court reporter will read it back to them. IIRC I think Smith said she will go into the jury room and read it to them if needed.

As far as I'm aware the jury is not allowed to have any exhibits in the deliberation room. Exhibits are given a different number signifying they are exhibits only.

Exhibits are mere demonstrative tools in order for each side to help explain the evidence.

They are allowed of course to ask for any evidence which has an evidence number attached to each one.

They are also allowed to have readbacks of certain testimonies. Usually its read from the court transcripts to the jurors who are brought into the courtroom so all jurors can hear it.

Imo

"I just pray the family get a guilty verdict as well."
As well? I don't know what you're missing or don't understand but the poll here is not indicative of a verdict, in fact it's quite the opposite.

I want the jury to say Chase is Guilty and send the man to jail for years to come. <modsnip: rude and personalizing>

Let me say this again.

He is guilty so I am praying the jury can also see that and lock him up.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm aware the jury is not allowed to have any exhibits in the deliberation room. Exhibits are given a different number signifying they are exhibits only.

Exhibits are mere demonstrative tools in order for each side to help explain the evidence.

They are allowed of course to ask for any evidence which has an evidence number attached to each one.

They are also allowed to have readbacks of certain testimonies. Usually its read from the court transcripts to the jurors who are brought into the courtroom so all jurors can hear it.

Imo

Pretty sure Judge Smith said the clerk would be giving them ALL of the exhibits that were entered into evidence, even referenced that it was over 1000 and it would take a bit of time. And there was this tweet...

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton
#McStay: That was just enough time to organize, select a Jury Foreman, and for the almost 1000+ exhibits to be given to jurors. #peoplevsmerrritt

4:46 PM - 30 May 2019

So my guess is, they have all of the exhibits in the jury room with them.

Imo

Sometimes they can look at things like videos. But they have to ask the judge.

Pretty sure Judge Smith said the clerk would be giving them ALL of the exhibits that were entered into evidence, even referenced that it was over 1000 and it would take a bit of time. And there was this tweet...

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton
#McStay: That was just enough time to organize, select a Jury Foreman, and for the almost 1000+ exhibits to be given to jurors. #peoplevsmerrritt

1000 of them?!
wow! :eek:

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton

That was my understanding , as well.

At 5:15 of this video... the judge:

As I said it's going to take the clerk a little while to gather up a final pack of jury instructions and all of the exhibits that have been admitted into evidence, we'll get all of that back to you maybe this morning, probably this afternoon.

I know nothing about the competency or lack thereof of the SDSD. But to be fair, there are a few of us critical thinkers who believe Rebecca's death may indeed have been a suicide despite the elaborate way she was tied (which could be done by a person to themselves as I saw demonstrated in a video).

It's odd. I've seen a couple of those now. Here is another where two women duct taped themselves together somehow in bizarre suicide.

Deaths of Saudi sisters found bound together in New York river ruled to be suicide

There have also been a few cases where people aren't tied up but staged their deaths to look like a suicide:

My Father Staged His Suicide to Look Like a Murder

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...ged-his-suicide-to-look-like-murder-cops/amp/

'Hero' cop staged suicide to look like murder, embezzled from youth program

I've analyzed the RZ case pretty thoroughly and think it could indeed have been a suicide.

And I don't know if the SDSD dropped the ball here. Didn't a family member initially tell them that it was the McStay family in the border crossing footage?

But I do know that CM was charged and has been tried. So they did well enough that the DA felt it was a viable case to prosecute.

And after analyzing this case it seems clear to me that CM killed the McStay family.

I agree with you 1000% about RZ and CM. But, the SDSD has dropped the ball several times. For instance Amber Dubois, Stephanie Crowe (AND the 4 Mcstays). I don't understand how Wm. Gore keeps getting re-elected.

and just to add to my last post... this is the first mention of the exhibits going into the jury room by Smith... @1:27:45 of this video, he says there were 1150 exhibits, but not all were entered into evidence... the one's that were will be going back into the jury room with them and they will have them. Nap time for me :D :D If they are out for lunch, and we get 2 hours notice... pretty safe to say we are good for a few hours!LOL

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton

Around 5:12 JS says it will take a little while to get all the exhibits that have made it into evidence back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
f48567899