Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’ll only have to eat half your hat. I volunteer to eat the other half of it. I strongly doubt that any juror will change his or her mind.

I would think they wouldn't change their minds either, but now they are going home for the weekend, and in a case where the media has been pretty non existent, I am seeing articles and news station's tweeting about a 'verdict has been reached but not read until Monday' all over, which then sparks conversations. But that's JMO

Cathy Russon‏@cathyrusson 27s28 seconds ago

#McStay - It will be exactly 22 weeks from opening statements to the verdict being read. 22 hours of deliberations. One hour per week of trial.

So the jury came in at 8:30 then left at 9:30? Did they just want to sleep on it? It seems like Friday verdicts come in a lot. What could cause the delay? I think it will be good news for the McStay family and a well-deserved long, excruciating, sleepless weekend for CM.

Be interesting to know what some of the Chase supporters think the outcome will be? Texas Red, SMR, come out, come out wherever you are....
I'm sure they would be posting if they could ;)

I don't consider myself a Chase supporter, more of a 'the State didn't prove it to me BARD'.... but I'm somewhat okay with any verdict, would have preferred a hung jury myself. I am not sure I would be comfortable with a not guilty, and would have liked the State to get a do-over and try again lol If he's found guilty, I won't lose sleep at night haha and the appeals process will do it's thing, if there were error's, they will be found... eventually.

So the jury came in at 8:30 then left at 9:30? Did they just want to sleep on it? It seems like Friday verdicts come in a lot. What could cause the delay? I think it will be good news for the McStay family and a well-deserved long, excruciating, sleepless weekend for CM.
They may have planned to spend an hour or 2 on the penalty phase then be completely done.

While I respect the wishes of the Mcstay family, I really oppose this long delay. As another poster pointed out, the defendant does have rights that should be respected as well. Then there is the jury, court personnel, jail wardens, etc.

They may have planned to spend an hour or 2 on the penalty phase then be completely done.

While I respect the wishes of the Mcstay family, I really oppose this long delay. As another poster pointed out, the defendant does have rights that should be respected as well. Then there is the jury, court personnel, jail wardens, etc.

The court personnel and jail wardens aren't affected at all by any delays. The jury seem nonplussed as they kept to a relaxed schedule.

The defendant gave up his rights to a speedy trial.

The only people I feel sorry for are the attorneys, a little, and the family - a lot. But if the family need to get there and are asking for the delay then God bless them and I'm all for it.

So we’re still on thin ice over the weekend in case anyone changes their mind, can they do that?
Why wouldn’t the judge want it over quickly for both parties, especially the victims’ family who’ve endured 5 months of this stupidity?

Reasonably, we are not on thin ice at all. It's very solid. I think someone would have t come in with ice cutting machines to change the verdict now.

Well, we don’t know the details of the families. I know almost nothing about Summer’s family, and where they are. We aren’t supposed to sleuth family members, so I don’t want to know. ;)

But theoretically, I could imagine someone who didn’t have the financial resources to travel to a trial of indeterminate length, but who wanted to be there at the close.

Yeah. Makes sense and if it's for that reason then it's very reasonable.

They are the victims and their rights matter.

Yes, and judge already said if it was guilty he'd give them a couple days off to prepare for the next phase.

This is required, it's a cooling off period between verdict and sentencing phase. We just saw it in the Tim Jones murder case. They convicted him and now they are determining his fate.

so, jury started at @8:40 a.m. today, reached a verdict, filled out paperwork and left @9:40 a.m.

seems to me, jury could have added an hour to their work day yesterday to accomplish same result, then read verdict today. This is very unusual.

This is not at all unusual. Many times a jury will reach a verdict and then go home to sleep on it. Then come back in the morning and take another vote. If they still agree on the same verdict, they announce they've reached one. It's a man's life they are dealing with here, not something to be decided impulsively.

Or as people supposed, they had reached a tentative verdict but wanted to sleep on it, maybe?

As much as many are invested in this case, it's not about us!!!!

Yes, that is what I would do. I'd want at least 12 hours before saying we had a verdict.

Joseph McStay’s father, Patrick McStay, lives in Texas but waited in Southern California while the jury deliberated. He said he’s glad the panel reached a verdict, but will have to wait three days to learn the decision.

“It’s going to be a long weekend,” McStay said.

Verdict reached in McStay murder case, but under wraps until Monday

Huh. I wonder which family members they are waiting on then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow