Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This made me think of recent comparable ongoing death penalty trials.

We actually have one going on in SC now where 5 children were murdered by the father.

I didnt follow that trial, and how long the guilt phase lasted, but even not knowing, I'm willing to bet it did not take months, and months to try. Guessing maybe 3 or 4 weeks or even less.

I do recall the verdict of guilt came in around four hours in the SC case. Now they are already into the sentencing phase.

It continues to amaze me how so many or most all other states try death penalty cases in a very timely manner with no time wasted yet in CA it's the total opposite.

If they are able to accomplish the same kind of trials much much quicker then why does it take months, and months to do the very same thing in CA?

I truly don't understand it.

Jmho
It took just hours for guilty verdict but that was a trial based on possible insanity .
Same with John Jonchuck trial .He threw his daughter off a FL bridge , pleaded insanity . Found guilty within hours & that was a complicated case.
I thought Lindsey Partin verdict could take awhile because of doubt ( the timing was so small & dad was not exactly a parent of the year) but the jury worked 12 hours straight after getting the case and found her guilty at 9:30 PM

This stuck out to me in the affidavits... not for this situation but more for appeals later if he is convicted. If he actually had a medical issue that caused memory loss or memory recall half way through a trial, how does that affect his ability to defend his client effectively? I'm more curious than ever to know what happened now lol

BBM

I want to know what happened too. I guess we all do. lol
I'm wondering about effective counsel too because of McGee's memory loss. Not good IMO. Sigh. Can you imagine going through this again??

MOO

It continues to amaze me how so many or most all other states try death penalty cases in a very timely manner with no time wasted yet in CA it's the total opposite.

If they are able to accomplish the same kind of trials much much quicker then why does it take months, and months to do the very same thing in CA?

I truly don't understand it.

Jmho

RSBM

If they could retry in a much shorter time, then I guess it wouldn't be so daunting (as @Tortoise said). Except for the family of course.
We will just have to wait and see what the court decides. Sigh

MOO

IMO it's time for the Judge to bare his fangs and find the defence team in contempt

This is hardly the first instance of misconduct (Mcgee in closing anyone?)

I get the argument that the defence attorneys are not responsible - but IMO they are indeed responsible for the conduct of their entire team. It was after all, McGee/Maline who brought the documentary person(s) to the Court room.

IMO it is not the Court's concern to inquire whether or not Documentary man operated against their express orders. The simple fact is that a member of the defence team is clearly guilty of jury tampering and they own that.

Good summation like always MrJitty!

I do think both the judge, and the state should file legal complaints against M&M with the ABA along with individual CA taxpayers filing complaints for the outrageous amounts of money they grossly overpaid the DT experts.

What each defense attorney has done throughout rises to the highest level of gross misconduct. Imo

No attorney no matter which side of the aisle, should ever be allowed to pull the stunts this DT has pulled without any accountability. To not do so gives these 2 defense attorneys chances to pull these same unethical misconduct shenanigans again.

It's the same group of unethical attorneys like Maline, and McGee who give all defense attorneys a bad name.

Their constant unethical behaviors must be seriously addressed by their peers with the ABA.

What they have done to stand justice on it's head must not be allowed to go unnoticed.

M&M care nothing about being credible officers of the court, nor do they care about fairly presenting their guilty client. Instead they have acted like cut throats where being ethical never entered their mind.

I believable JS told them before their OS they better make true on the promises they were going to make.

I'm sure they assured him they would do so... all the while already knowing they weren't going to show proof through witnesses they had promised the jury they would hear from.

Imo, It was as big of a con, and scam as their client has pulled on so many of his own victims.

It makes me wonder if CM was the mastermind behind the ridiculous OS, and encouraged the DTs outrageous behaviors throughout?

Of course its obvious these 2 didn't need any encouragement. Imo, both are not honorable men nor trustworthy to begin with.

It seems Wallace has the same mindset of the DT he is a part of where rules simply do not matter.

JMHO

Last edited:
RSBM

If they could retry in a much shorter time, then I guess it wouldn't be so daunting (as @Tortoise said). Except for the family of course.
We will just have to wait and see what the court decides. Sigh

MOO
Just some perspective . My days numbered & dates are taken from Law&Crime Network ( youtube)

Opening Statements began Jan 7,2019

Closing arguments & rebuttal ended/Jury got the case May 30,2019

Court days number 59 ( deliberations not included)

Hope I got that right !

Unless they have sold the doco to HBO or similar - there is no money there. Indeed even if they have, i doubt there is serious money there once you consider the need to pay for all the production.
Exactly, and if he's found guilty the documentary isn't going to get picked up by any network. So they are desperate for a mistrial or hung jury

Just some perspective . My days numbered & dates are taken from Law&Crime Network ( youtube)

Opening Statements began Jan 7,2019

Closing arguments & rebuttal ended/Jury got the case May 30,2019

Court days number 59 ( deliberations not included)

Hope I got that right !
RTM:
If court was 5 days a week it would take just short of 12 weeks to complete 59 days.

4 days a week would take almost 15 weeks (14.75)

The Mcstay family trial took 21 weeks 1 day from start to the jury beginning deliberations.

This stuck out to me in the affidavits... not for this situation but more for appeals later if he is convicted. If he actually had a medical issue that caused memory loss or memory recall half way through a trial, how does that affect his ability to defend his client effectively? I'm more curious than ever to know what happened now lol

It's almost impossible to win an appeal based on IAoC.

One death penalty convicted defendant's case went all the way to the USSC, and his conviction was upheld. He also tried to use IAoC.

In his trial the lead defense attorney was caught sleeping throughout the trial during some of the direct testimonies being done by the state.

The highest court said even though the defense attorney may have slept through some of the testimony he represented the defendant effectively by his cross examinations etc.

There is no indication that MCGee had any problems when representing CM in the trial.

So if convicted that will not result in his case being overturned. Imo

It's already very hard to overturn any case, but even harder when the defendant had two attorneys representing him, and not just one.

Jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members