Identified! CO - Boulder Co., WhtFem 'Boulder Jane Doe, 17-20, Mar'54 - Dorothy Howard

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Put your hands together for Frank Bender as well. The reconstruction looks just like Dorothy!

Why is she still listed on Doenetwork?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/433ufco.html

they might not be aware of it yet...it's ok to inform them of updates. i had to let the Charley Project know about that young woman Dawn that Snuf solved--I emailed over this weekend & the site admin hadn't been informed yet.

does anyone know if Doe has been contacted? happy to do so...

it also may be that they are aware but haven't had a chance to update yet.

they might not be aware of it yet...it's ok to inform them of updates. i had to let the Charley Project know about that young woman Dawn that Snuf solved--I emailed over this weekend & the site admin hadn't been informed yet.

does anyone know if Doe has been contacted? happy to do so...

it also may be that they are aware but haven't had a chance to update yet.

Ok, she is now listed as identified.

My condolences to the Dorothy Gay Howard's family. I hope this discovery will bring about some degree of closure.

Silvia, my hat is off to you for doggedly pursuing this and finding the answer. WTG to all Websleuths members who contributed to this research.

Positive Identification of Victim in 1954 "Jane Doe" Homicide case

MEDIA RELEASE Wednesday, October 28th, 2009

TO: Boulder County Area Media

RE: Positive Identification of 1954 “Jane Doe” Homicide Victim
Case #04-2822

Sheriff Joe Pelle announced today that a positive identification has been made of the victim in a decades old homicide investigation.

The battered and naked body of “Jane Doe”, an unidentified female homicide victim, was found along the banks of Boulder Creek near Boulder Falls, eight miles west of Boulder, on April 8th, 1954. Despite an intensive investigation at the time, she was never identified. Her body was buried in Boulder’s Columbia Cemetery in a simple grave beneath a donated headstone that read
“Jane Doe – April 1954 - Age About 20 Years”.

In 2004, the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, prompted by local Boulder historian Silvia Pettem, resurrected the investigation. With funds contributed by the community, the donated expertise of several forensic authorities, and Pettem’s able assistance as a researcher, Sheriff’s detectives made significant progress in furthering the investigation, utilizing modern investigative methods. Notably, an exhumation in 2004 and an artist’s recreation of “Jane Doe’s” face from her re-constructed skull provided a DNA profile and an image that caught the public’s attention, respectively. The case received extensive regional publicity and was featured in an episode of “America’s Most Wanted” television program. Still, “Jane Doe’s” identity eluded Sheriff’s investigators and a cadre of private volunteer researchers coordinated by Ms. Pettem.

However, late last week that all changed. The Sheriff’s Office was notified by Dr. Terry Melton, president and CEO of Mitotyping Technologies, LLC, of State College, Pennsylvania, that her lab had made a match between “Jane Doe’s” DNA profile and that of a woman who thought the unidentified murder victim might be her long-lost sister.

“Jane Doe” was positively identified as Dorothy Gay Howard, who was reported as missing from Phoenix, Arizona, in March 1954. She was 18 years old at the time of her disappearance. A photograph accompanies this media release.

Ms. Howard’s great-niece, whose identity is not being released at this time at her request, had been following “Jane Doe’s” saga on-line via Ms. Pettem’s “Jane Doe” web-site, www.boulderjanedoe.com, but did not pursue her suspicions that “Jane Doe” might be her great-aunt “Dot” as investigators had focused on another likely candidate, Katharine Farrand Dyer. However, when Ms. Dyer was discovered alive and well and living in an assisted living center in Australia last month, Dot’s great-niece came forward and proposed her great aunt as a possible candidate for a match for “Jane Doe”. She provided information about another aunt, a younger sibling of Ms. Howard’s, who in turn provided a DNA sample that was then compared against “Jane Doe’s” profile, establishing a matrilineal family match.

Ms. Pettem, who recently authored the book, “Someone’s Daughter: In Search of Justice for Jane Doe” which chronicles her quest to identify the young woman, commented, “In recent years, the search for Jane Doe’s identity has spread around the world, touching the lives of thousands of people, including me. I feel sadness for her tragic death, but relief that her family now has closure. I look forward to Dorothy’s real name on a new gravestone, and I’m proud to have played in solving this mystery”.

Sheriff Joe Pelle commended Ms. Pettem’s skills as a researcher and her persistence in pushing the investigation forward, while complimenting Sheriff’s Detective Steve Ainsworth, who has diligently pursued and documented every lead in the case. Together, they built a compelling circumstantial case for naming serial-killer Harvey Glatman (executed in California in 1959 for the murder of three other women) as Ms. Howard’s murderer. Detective Ainsworth said, “With her identification, a major piece of the puzzle has been added. I’m confident now that we will be able to find the missing links that will tie this all together”.

Ms. Howard’s surviving family members have expressed their preference that she remain interred in Boulder’s Columbia Cemetery. Ms. Pettem, with Sheriff Pelle’s cooperation, has announced a fund drive to purchase a new headstone for Ms. Howard. Donations may be made to the “Jane Doe Fund”, c/o the Boulder History Museum, 1206 Euclid Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302

This media release may be found on the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office web-site at: www.bouldersheriff.org

1880-DotHoward.GIF

Dorothy Gay Howard, age 17, circa 1953

1880-Jane%20Doe%20Press%20Conference%20Photos%20007.jpg

Forensic artist Frank Bender's recreation of Jane Doe's facial features, 2005​

Case #04-2822

Sheriff Joe Pelle announced today that a positive identification has been made of the victim in a decades old homicide investigation.

The battered and naked body of “Jane Doe”, an unidentified female homicide victim, was found along the banks of Boulder Creek near Boulder Falls, eight miles west of Boulder, on April 8th, 1954. Despite an intensive investigation at the time, she was never identified. Her body was buried in Boulder’s Columbia Cemetery in a simple grave beneath a donated headstone that read

In 2004, the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, prompted by local Boulder historian Silvia Pettem, resurrected the investigation. With funds contributed by the community, the donated expertise of several forensic authorities, and Pettem’s able assistance as a researcher, Sheriff’s detectives made significant progress in furthering the investigation, utilizing modern investigative methods. Notably, an exhumation in 2004 and an artist’s recreation of “Jane Doe’s” face from her re-constructed skull provided a DNA profile and an image that caught the public’s attention, respectively. The case received extensive regional publicity and was featured in an episode of “America’s Most Wanted” television program. Still, “Jane Doe’s” identity eluded Sheriff’s investigators and a cadre of private volunteer researchers coordinated by Ms. Pettem.

However, late last week that all changed. The Sheriff’s Office was notified by Dr. Terry Melton, president and CEO of Mitotyping Technologies, LLC, of State College, Pennsylvania, that her lab had made a match between “Jane Doe’s” DNA profile and that of a woman who thought the unidentified murder victim might be her long-lost sister.

“Jane Doe” was positively identified as Dorothy Gay Howard, who was reported as missing from Phoenix, Arizona, in March 1954. She was 18 years old at the time of her disappearance. A photograph accompanies this media release.

Ms. Howard’s great-niece, whose identity is not being released at this time at her request, had been following “Jane Doe’s” saga on-line via Ms. Pettem’s “Jane Doe” web-site, www.boulderjanedoe.com, but did not pursue her suspicions that “Jane Doe” might be her great-aunt “Dot” as investigators had focused on another likely candidate, Katharine Farrand Dyer. However, when Ms. Dyer was discovered alive and well and living in an assisted living center in Australia last month, Dot’s great-niece came forward and proposed her great aunt as a possible candidate for a match for “Jane Doe”. She provided information about another aunt, a younger sibling of Ms. Howard’s, who in turn provided a DNA sample that was then compared against “Jane Doe’s” profile, establishing a matrilineal family match.

Ms. Pettem, who recently authored the book, “Someone’s Daughter: In Search of Justice for Jane Doe” which chronicles her quest to identify the young woman, commented, “In recent years, the search for Jane Doe’s identity has spread around the world, touching the lives of thousands of people, including me. I feel sadness for her tragic death, but relief that her family now has closure. I look forward to Dorothy’s real name on a new gravestone, and I’m proud to have played in solving this mystery”.

Sheriff Joe Pelle commended Ms. Pettem’s skills as a researcher and her persistence in pushing the investigation forward, while complimenting Sheriff’s Detective Steve Ainsworth, who has diligently pursued and documented every lead in the case. Together, they built a compelling circumstantial case for naming serial-killer Harvey Glatman (executed in California in 1959 for the murder of three other women) as Ms. Howard’s murderer. Detective Ainsworth said, “With her identification, a major piece of the puzzle has been added. I’m confident now that we will be able to find the missing links that will tie this all together”.

Ms. Howard’s surviving family members have expressed their preference that she remain interred in Boulder’s Columbia Cemetery. Ms. Pettem, with Sheriff Pelle’s cooperation, has announced a fund drive to purchase a new headstone for Ms. Howard. Donations may be made to the “Jane Doe Fund”, c/o the Boulder History Museum, 1206 Euclid Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302

This media release may be found on the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office web-site at: www.bouldersheriff.org

1880-DotHoward.GIF

Case #04-2822

1880-DotHoward.GIF

The AMW episode on Dorothy Gay Howard was very good. Thanks for the heads up, Silvia. I sincerely wish they could find those lost Glatman photos. I agree with Det. Ainsworth, I can't imagine someone throwing historical photos like that away. I hope lots of retired LE officers saw the episode tonight and check their files at home!

This was the origional thread on the case which became known as Boulder Jane Doe. It is certainly nice to see a very Cold Case solved.

Here is the summary now seen on the Doenetwork website:

Dorothy Gay Howard

The victim was located on April 8, 1954 in Boulder Creek, Colorado. She was identified in 2009 by DNA as Dorothy "Dot" Gay Howard, who was reported missing from Phoenix, Arizona, in March 1954. She was 18 at the time of her disappearance. Howard's great-niece had tracked Boulder historian Silvia Pettem's Web site on the Jane Doe mystery and thought the unidentified woman could be her aunt. A DNA sample provided by one of Howard's younger siblings provided the match.

Source:

the Doe Network Site Updates

Please see www.boulderjanedoe.com (particularly the EPILOGUE) for the latest information on this case. Yes, this murder victim from 1954 was identified in October 2009 as Dorothy Gay Howard, an 18-year-old from Phoenix, Arizona. Thank you for caring about this young woman.

I agree, the Charley Project listing under Katharine Farrand Dyer (which discusses the Boulder Jane Doe case) needs to state that Boulder Jane Doe has been identified. I can't get the Charley Project home page to open without an error message, and I can't get contact info. Maybe someone else can do this. Hope so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back