GUILTY CO - Bruce, 27, Debra, 26, & Melissa Bennett, 7, murdered, Aurora, 16 Jan 1984 *inmate arrest 2019*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I covered this case on Episode 57 of my podcast, in researching the episode I spoke with Steve Connor (detective on the case) and he confirmed for me that it was an AA male who assaulted the Haubenschilds. YMMV
Thanks, I listened to that podcast awhile back and didn't realize that was you. You did an excellent job on that.

This article was just updated at 4:22 pm today naming Alex Christopher Ewing as the suspect.

Man eyed in Colorado hammer attacks serving prison sentence in Nevada for similar crime

"On Jan. 27, 1984, someone broke into a home in Kingman, Arizona, and beat a resident over the head with a rock. That was 11 days after the Bennett attack, and Ewing was arrested in that case. According to the Arizona Republic, Ewing – then 24 – was being transported from a jail back to Kingman for a court hearing when he escaped. He was on the lam for two days – and during that time was accused of breaking into a home in Henderson, Nevada, and savagely beating a sleeping couple with an ax handle."

Now that he's been named... I found all sorts of curious things about him yesterday, such as...
Alex Ewing 20866

So do we know if genetic genealogy solved this or perhaps a late upload of his DNA to CODIS due to some backlog since he's already in prison?

"Detective Steve Conner confirms he is in the process of attempting a similar method used by the Golden State Killer investigators to use genealogy DNA databases to locate family members of the hammer-wielding murderer who terrorized the Denver metro for a 10-day period in 1984... Last year Conner commissioned a sketch created by DNA profilers to show what the killer may have looked like. He also worked with a forensic genealogist who determined a possible last name for the murderer: Ewing. But those clues have not led to any breaks in the case." Aurora cold case investigators seek genealogy DNA link to solve notorious hammer murders

I think we're going to find out the process of identifying this suspect was exactly the same as how they identified Deangelo. His DNA (left at the scene of both attacks in CO in 1984) ratted him out.

"Now that he's been named... I found all sorts of curious things about him yesterday, such as...
Alex Ewing 20866

Oh my...so much material here.
Earliest release date: 2021 (Not anymore dude)

"Keeping an open mind towards future employment and trade possibilities while educating myself and keeping a sense of humor." (Hope you kept a sense of humor while educating yourself on the CO prison system)

"I've been no saint in my life" (Yeah, that's for da** sure)

Ugh, I could go on but his profile turns my stomach.

"Keeping an open mind towards future employment and trade possibilities while educating myself and keeping a sense of humor." (Hope you kept a sense of humor while educating yourself on the CO prison system)

Gross!

And his birthday is next week. Surprise! Filthy creep.

I'm pretty sure this is okay, since it's actually a shot of an archived MSM (newspaper). Some stuff there is free to view other stuff only through a subscription but this clip is free. In any case, this snippet tells just how bad the beating was, in the Henderson case. Clipping from Arizona Republic - Newspapers.com

Last edited:
I read an article that said the DNA match came with his prisoner number which makes it seem like it was solved through his DNA being uploaded in CODIS by Nevada, where he is currently in prison. Apparently Nevada started uploading DNA from prisoners incarcerated awhile ago back in 2016

"On Jan. 27, 1984, someone broke into a home in Kingman, Arizona, and beat a resident over the head with a rock. That was 11 days after the Bennett attack, and Ewing was arrested in that case. According to the Arizona Republic, Ewing – then 24 – was being transported from a jail back to Kingman for a court hearing when he escaped. He was on the lam for two days – and during that time was accused of breaking into a home in Henderson, Nevada, and savagely beating a sleeping couple with an ax handle."

Now that he's been named... I found all sorts of curious things about him yesterday, such as...
Alex Ewing 20866
Rbbm.
Surprised the creep did not mention that he was handy with tools.

I read an article that said the DNA match came with his prisoner number which makes it seem like it was solved through his DNA being uploaded in CODIS by Nevada, where he is currently in prison. Apparently Nevada started uploading DNA from prisoners incarcerated awhile ago back in 2016

Can you link that article here?

Not sure if this helps or not.. rbbm
Aug 8 2018
Investigation into 1984 killings in Lakewood, Aurora with hammer reaches critical stage Aurora
"A John Doe warrant based solely on DNA evidence has been issued in the 1984 murders of three members of the Bruce and Debra Bennett family."

"On Tuesday morning, The Denver Post received a tip that a DNA match had recently been made between the suspect in the Lakewood and Aurora killings and a prison inmate in Nevada. The tip included the prison booking number and the name of the offender serving a lengthy prison term for attempted murder and use of a deadly weapon.

Brooke Santina, spokeswoman for the Nevada Department of Corrections, said she could not comment on any link between the Nevada inmate and the Colorado murder cases. Santina confirmed that an inmate matching the name and prisoner number The Post provided is incarcerated in Nevada and is eligible for parole in 2021.

When asked whether authorities had made a DNA match between the specific Nevada inmate and DNA taken from Colorado murder victims, Santina said she had been in contact Tuesday with Arapahoe County authorities and was awaiting their approval before commenting."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datalord
Back