GUILTY CO - Elijah McClain, 23, died in chokehold & injection, Denver, 2019 *Police & paramedics charged, 1 guilty* *city settled*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You would think they'd have some experts at least. I guess they think they can pin the blame on the EMTs since the state's experts say the main cause was the ketamine.

From yesterday:

"From the beginning when he was grabbed walking down the street all the way to his death in the hospital is the result of the physical and chemical restraint," said Dr. Roger Mitchell, a forensic pathologist in Washington D.C.

Mitchell, who was asked by prosecutors to review all the reports and body-worn camera footage related to McClain's 2019 death, said, however, that he agreed with the doctor who performed McClain's autopsy that ketamine was his primary cause of death.

"How does the physical restraint by the officers here, if it does, contribute to Elijah McClain’s death?" asked prosecutor Jason Slothauber.

"Medically we’ve talked about it most of the day. It's in the form of hypoxia (low oxygen), acidosis (increased acid in the blood), and aspiration (inhaling vomit) those are all contributing factors for the physical restraint that leads to Mr. McClain’s death,” Mitchel said. “And then from the circumstances, all of the actions from those involved contribute, as well."

[…]

The defense attorneys for two Aurora police officers charged in Elijah McClain’s 2019 death chose not to call any witnesses at all, setting the stage for the jury to begin deliberating early next week.

The decision came Friday after Judge Mark Warner indicated he would likely instruct jurors not to consider whether the officers had reasonable suspicion to stop McClain, an issue the prosecutors said they chose not to hinge their case on. Though Officer Randy Roedema’s defense attorneys previously said they planned to have an expert in use of force take the stand, the defense for both officers suggested Friday they would not need to call any witnesses if Warner said he would make that instruction.

[…]

Prosecutors rested their Friday morning after they finished questioning their last witness. Roger Mitchell, a forensic pathologist, provided the most definitive opinion among all the prosecutors’ medical experts that the officers’ actions contributed to McClain’s death. He said McClain as McClain struggled to breathe, acid built up in his blood and he threw up repeatedly, inhaling it into his lungs and essentially drowning in his own vomit over the course of the 18-minute encounter.

[…]

No witnesses called in defense for Aurora officers charged in Elijah McClain's death

[…]

Dr. Roger Mitchell, a chief medical examiner and national expert on forensic pathology, said Thursday that Elijah McClain’s manner of death is homicide.

Both Mitchell and Dr. Stephen Cina, the Adams County contracted pathologist who performed McClain’s autopsy, agreed that the cause of McClain's death was “death by ketamine after forcible restraint.”

“I agree with Dr. Cena 100 percent in his cause of death,” Mitchell said.

But where Cina stopped short of determining the manner of death, Mitchell did not equivocate.

Asked directly by a prosecution attorney what the proper classification of the manner of death would be, Mitchell said "Homicide."

[…]

Elijah McClain trial: National forensic pathology expert says death was homicide

All of the defendants entered pleas of not guilty as their trial dates were set in the Elijah McClain case. On Friday, all five defendants, including three former Aurora police officers and two former Aurora paramedics, entered not guilty pleas in an Adams County Court.

McClain was confronted by officers on Aug. 24, 2019 after a call to report a suspicious person wearing a mask near Colfax Avenue and Billings Street. He was walking home with groceries while wearing a ski mask at the time, something his family said was not uncommon as they say he was anemic and frequently felt cold.

The trial for Roedema and Rosenblatt has been scheduled to begin on July 11. The trial for Cooper and Cichuniec has been scheduled to begin on Aug. 7. The trial for Woodyard has been scheduled to begin on Sept. 18.

The attorneys for Sheneen McClain, Elijah McClain's mother, announced the family reached a settlement with the city of Aurora in November 2021.

One idea that just came to my mind. Are we constantly missing something here?

Could Elijah be anemic because he had sickle cell trait?

We almost always forget about it, that 1/8-10 AA has sickle cell trait. And, it may never show, but manifest in sickle cell crisis too easily. They say Elijah died from lactacidosis; muscle breakdown and lactic acidosis is more common in people with sickle cell trait.

There is a list of conditions that can provoke it. And chokeholds are a no-no, should be outlawed. But remember how many black men died with the words, I can't breathe? Can this brutal treatment provoke sickle cell crisis? Have we been oblivious to it?

Now, I had to check if ketamine itself could provoke sickle cell crisis in people with sickle cell trait. To my surprise, I found out that ketamine is used in vaso-occlusive crises in sickle cell anemia for pain control instead of opiates. It seems that either the dose in Elijah was exorbitantly high, or ketamine-induced hypertension could have contributed. Make your own conclusion. I think it was more the chokehold, JMO. BTW: in this country, we have a whole group of people not only with sickle cell trait, but also with thalassemia. Not only AA, Italians, Armenians.

If we don't want our citizens to die in troves, I think chokeholds should be officially made illegal.

Elijah McClain case: Prosecution, defense finish closing arguments and case goes to jury​

Scroll down to read updates from the proceedings​

By: Stephanie Butzer
Closing arguments wrapped on Tuesday afternoon in the trial for two Aurora officers, Randy Roedema and Jason Rosenblatt, who have pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and second-degree assault in connection with the arrest of Elijah McClain. McClain died a few days later.

The jury went into deliberations around 4:30 p.m. and will continue on Wednesday morning.

[…]

“They should have treated him as a someone, not a suspect," Lyons said. "As a person, not a perpetrator. They should have helped him when he asked and begged for them to help him.”

“This is not just a tragedy," he continued at the conclusion of his closing argument. "To say this is just a tragedy would be to trivialize what happened that evening. The defendants are guilty of the charges.”

[…]

Wrong link above, I think this is it.

Another story here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member